FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Fri 10.31.2014, 16:32

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 862 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 17:06 

Sand$: 53255
Donate
nyj.gif
Ryan Mathews is already being touted as a player to watch this year, which obviously makes me nervous. Norv Turner is expecting a "breakout" career year, and that doesn't help either to be honest.

On paper, everything looks great: no Tolbert, added fullback in McClain, no other pass catching 'backs to worry about (not a great O-line, but serviceable). While always seemingly nicked up, he only missed one game during the fantasy season and thanks to his pass catching ability, he eclipsed 100 total yards in 10 of 14 games. Entering his third year, Mathews appears to have moved pass the minor injuries that plagued his rookie season. With Tolbert and his 10 TD's scored last year now gone, a majority of those (not to mention the passing yards) will conceivably go to Mathews.

Only the age of 24, do you believe Ryan Mathews is primed for a breakout career year or do you think it's more likely he will fail to build on his 1,500 total yards, 6 TD 2011 campaign (good for 7th overall in RB scoring last year)?

When I take a look at the situation, it's hard not to see 2,000+ total yards and 14 TD's.

Week 9 Bets Posted

Last edited by endzoneview on Thu 08.09.2012, 22:39, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 17:11 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 14734
Donate
jax.gif
I think he is. I would be more comfortable drafting him than Chris Johnson if I am picking in the middle/late-middle.

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 17:15 
SandShark

Sand$: 242
Donate
In mock drafts he seems to be moving up the board every week.

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 17:48 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 39024
Donate
pit.gif
Im not so sure that Mcclain wont be tolbert 2.0

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 17:53 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1086
Donate
Thanks, now you've got me nervous. I had moved him up as high as 7th RB on my board (PPR).

I thought he was quite solid last year, starting the year strong (6 out of his first weeks scorring 15 or more points), and then after a lull finishing strong (4 of his last 5 weeks at 15 pts or more). Without Tolbert I was thinking he'd net a few more TDs.

In my league he scored 237 last year (we go 5 points for TDs) and I've got him pegged to hit 250.

(Of course, at the beginning of my league LAST year I traded him for Jamaal Charles and a draft pick and that sucked ...)

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 18:48 

Donate
nyj.gif
rugger48 wrote:

He'll be a poor man's version but I doubt he'll have as a big of an impact on the offense as Tolbert did.

Week 9 Bets Posted

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 19:41 
Chum

Sand$: 92
Donate
McClain has not had over 50 rushes since '08 when he had 225+, but since then he has barely touched the ball. Is he able to do what tolbert did? I don't think he will get as many carries, but hopefully enough to keep Mathews fresh. Also he is not the receiver that Mathews or Tolbert are. So most of Tolberts 400+ receiving yards will go to Mathews.

As for the OP. Depends what the hype is. Some say he is the next Emmit Smith, I don't buy that. But I think he will be a very solid RB for the next several seasons and be top ten this year.

I think he already had his breakout season last year though. For a RB that has never been in the top 30 to jump into the top 10 is a huge jump and is a sign of greatness. Just hope he is closer to Tomlinson than he is to Jordan.

I wrote an article about him for the guest writer thing going on, but submitted a different one. Once I hear about that one I will submit my Mathews one.

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 19:46 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
endzoneview wrote:
rugger48 wrote:

He'll be a poor man's version but I doubt he'll have as a big of an impact on the offense as Tolbert did.

couple of things.

he went to KC hoping he would get to be part of the offense instead he got used very little as far as touches, I dont think he would go to SD unless he thought he could gets his hands on the ball a little more.
SD let tolbert go and brought in McClain, who pretty much can do what tolbert did.

This is what turner said about him

Quote:
The guy I’m really excited that we added in the offseason is Le’Ron McClain, because he’s a very versatile player and he’s a big old-school fullback. But he’s a good runner, he’s got good catching skills and I think he’ll be a big addition.”

Might just be fluff, but if I am within 5 yardline and Mcclain is at his disposal, I find it hard to believe turner wont leave a 6' 260 pound rb who can run and catch on the sideline.

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 19:49 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
DevilDog56 wrote:
McClain has not had over 50 rushes since '08 when he had 225+, but since then he has barely touched the ball. Is he able to do what tolbert did? I don't think he will get as many carries, but hopefully enough to keep Mathews fresh. Also he is not the receiver that Mathews or Tolbert are. So most of Tolberts 400+ receiving yards will go to Mathews.

Not true McClain is fine at catching the ball. As far as him not getting the touches that had to do with KC more than McClain, part of the reason I think he chose to go SD. I think they signed him because he can do what tolbert does.

As for the OP. Depends what the hype is. Some say he is the next Emmit Smith, I don't buy that. But I think he will be a very solid RB for the next several seasons and be top ten this year.

I think he already had his breakout season last year though. For a RB that has never been in the top 30 to jump into the top 10 is a huge jump and is a sign of greatness. Just hope he is closer to Tomlinson than he is to Jordan.

I wrote an article about him for the guest writer thing going on, but submitted a different one. Once I hear about that one I will submit my Mathews one.

Last edited by rugger48 on Tue 05.22.2012, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 19:49 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 14938
Donate
oak.gif
i got him as rb5 in my rankings

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 19:59 
Chum

Sand$: 92
Donate
rugger48 wrote:
Not true McClain is fine at catching the ball. As far as him not getting the touches that had to do with KC more than McClain, part of the reason I think he chose to go SD. I think they signed him because he can do what tolbert does.

I think McClain is a decent receiver but don't see him getting 80 targets which is what Tolbert got last year.

And his touches last year was the KC thing, but his last two years in Baltimore saw him get 45 and 30 rushes.

I am sure he will get an increase, but don't think he will reach Tolbert (RBBC) status. And last year even with Tolbert getting 80 targets and 120 rushes Mathews still was able to land in the top ten.

McClain will get more work and Mathews will get more work. Everyone is happy. I think McClain getting some work will be a good thing for Mathews anyway. It will help keep him fresh and being fresh is a key to staying injury free.

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 21:29 

Donate
nyj.gif
rugger48 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:
rugger48 wrote:

couple of things.

he went to KC hoping he would get to be part of the offense instead he got used very little as far as touches, I dont think he would go to SD unless he thought he could gets his hands on the ball a little more.
SD let tolbert go and brought in McClain, who pretty much can do what tolbert did.

Quote:
The guy I’m really excited that we added in the offseason is Le’Ron McClain, because he’s a very versatile player and he’s a big old-school fullback. But he’s a good runner, he’s got good catching skills and I think he’ll be a big addition.”

Might just be fluff, but if I am within 5 yardline and Mcclain is at his disposal, I find it hard to believe turner wont leave a 6' 260 pound rb who can run and catch on the sideline.

Don't you think there's a reason McClain didn't get the ball in KC? Because he's not that good

And while it's possible Turner turns to McClain into the goal line back I bet it only happens if Mathews fails. It's a concern, how big? Time will tell.

Week 9 Bets Posted

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 21:53 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
endzoneview wrote:
rugger48 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:
rugger48 wrote:

couple of things.

Quote:

Don't you think there's a reason McClain didn't get the ball in KC? Because he's not that good

And while it's possible Turner turns to McClain into the goal line back I bet it only happens if Mathews fails. It's a concern, how big? Time will tell.

niether is tolbert, but SD gave him the ball. All Im saying is tolberts out, McClains signs with SD after. KC and SD are 2 different places. Im just saying that I wouldnt besurprised if McClain does get more touches than wethink here.

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 22:31 

Donate
nyj.gif
Yeah, I'm thinking McClain gets about 40-60% of Tolberts touches, you think about 100 %. I guess all things considered, Mathews was a RB7 WITH Tolbert so if McClain does turn into Tolbert 2.0 not all is lost. The upside comes from Mathews taking a chunk of those carries.

Week 9 Bets Posted

PostPosted: Tue 05.22.2012, 23:26 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
pit.gif
endzoneview wrote:
Yeah, I'm thinking McClain gets about 40-60% of Tolberts touches, you think about 100 %. I guess all things considered, Mathews was a RB7 WITH Tolbert so if McClain does turn into Tolbert 2.0 not all is lost. The upside comes from Mathews taking a chunk of those carries.

You think Mathews will be the #1 back in the league?

Quote:
you think about 100 %.

I didnt say that. What I said was, Im not so sure McClain wouldnt be tolbert 2.0.

Team gets rid of #2 who happens to be a fairly big back, team signs another back that happens to be a fairly big back. Who can also do what the previous RB did. Coach is qouted in interveiw that hes is very excited about The new back they sign calling him very versatile. Dont sign another veteran rb, and have a injury prone young rb behind mathews.

Tolbert 121 rushes 8 tds

Turner is not afraid to use the bigger back in goal-line situations.

Basically what Im saying is I wouldnt at all be surprised if McClain ends up with 100+ carries and a decent amount of receptions. the formula is there.

Last edited by rugger48 on Tue 05.22.2012, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 862 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next