FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 07.24.2014, 09:36

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun 07.22.2012, 15:35 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1826
Donate
dal.gif
Which position, RB or WR has the most value available in the middle & later rounds? This will help determine what to take in rounds 1-4.

PostPosted: Sun 07.22.2012, 15:39 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 458
Donate
pit.gif
WR, easily.

PostPosted: Sun 07.22.2012, 15:53 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1308
Donate
nyj.gif
thats a hard question to answer. First in ppr leagues wrs obviously get a boost, but some rbs value shoot up. Second using the premise that rbs are not reliable in terms of injury and guaranteed top 10 finishes in points. You can argue that its better to load up on wrs early and grab a few studs then grab a stable of rbs in the mid rounds and therefore you are getting good value for the rb position.

PostPosted: Sun 07.22.2012, 16:22 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 39968
Donate
pit.gif
gbill2004 wrote:
Which position, RB or WR has the most value available in the middle & later rounds? This will help determine what to take in rounds 1-4.

mid would be wr, late mid would be rb.

Last edited by rugger48 on Sun 07.22.2012, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun 07.22.2012, 16:25 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37330
Donate
chi.gif
Both.

Guys like Roy Helu, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Willis McGahee, Donald Brown & both Carolina backs are going in rounds 7-11 (10 team, according to current MFL ADPs), and all are capable of being solid #2 RBs.

Of the receivers going in the same range, there's a proven #1 WR coming off a down year with several terrible QBs (Reggie Wayne, who looks like a steal in the 9th round), a couple young veteran guys in new situations with something to prove (Meachem, who i like, and Garcon, who's crappy), and a few guys who have shown flashes but haven't consistently lived up to their talent (Crabtree, Rice, Lloyd, Holmes). Toss in a few buzzy sleepers (Torey Smith, Denarius Moore, Eric Decker, Greg Little), and these two groups are very similar. There's a lot of potential, and you're in good shape if one or two of them pans out.

Assuming I picked up a couple solid backs and receivers, along with a good QB, in the early rounds, I'd feel pretty good about coming out of rounds 7-11 with Wayne, Green-Ellis, Meachem and either Brown or one of the Carolina RBs.

Overall, I'd feel better about having to find starting receivers at this point than starting RBs, but there are a bunch of each that I'd like in #3/flex spots.

PostPosted: Sun 07.22.2012, 16:34 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 60317
Donate
sea.gif
WR is absolutely loaded from the back half of the third round all the way till the 6th or 7th round depending on how your league drafts.

PostPosted: Sun 07.22.2012, 21:40 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18201
Donate
sd.gif
rugger48 wrote:
gbill2004 wrote:

I would say mid = WR,
Late mid = WR + RB

WR is insanely stacked this year, but there are a few RBs who have fallen very, very far this year who I think will exceed expectations. Of note:

Ahmad Bradshaw, Roy Helu, Willis McGahee, Beanie Wells, Reggie Bush...

fliers like Jahvid Best can pay off too. Don't rule people like that out b/c they had bad luck with injuries for a year or two... look no further than his teammate Matthew Stafford who was labelled last preseason as a guaranteed injury.

PostPosted: Mon 07.23.2012, 02:09 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 14743
Donate
zodiak wrote:
WR, easily.

Agree

After CB its the singularly most populous position in the league and one where up to 3 can start on a semi-regular basis.

From a logistical point of view its easier to find more WRs who are more productive later in drafts.

That said? With the advent of the increase of the RBBC and trend towards more volume of passing across the league its harder to find good value at RB. As a result the value of a fair few RBs has fallen into the middle rounds.

Case in point BJGE. Potential for RBBC is high ... a trend to pass more than they rush. Were he an every down back in Cincy and they were a throwback smashmouth offense, his value increases from the middle rounds. He is not a unique case in point. Alot of franchises have backs with similar problems.

Doesnt make them great value - just means their value has fallen and had we not got to have a certain number of backs id suggest they might fall even further.

WRs dont have that problem. The WR#2 sees the field just as much, the WR#3 too on certain teams (3 base set, poor defense - so playing 3rd & 4th 1/4 catchup football) etc etc

There's value for both, but from the volume of startable players perspective its WRs.

PostPosted: Mon 07.23.2012, 20:44 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 17163
Donate
nyg.gif
rugger48 wrote:
gbill2004 wrote:

I totally agree with this.

PostPosted: Wed 07.25.2012, 08:08 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 3233
Donate
dal.gif
In 10 team leagues you are seeing guys like Nicks or Jennings fall into the 4th. What does this mean? Well guys I consider studs like Marshall and Percy going after the 4th seems insane.

But like a previous poster mentioned, solid guys like Iaasac Redman, Donald Brown, BJGE, etc are slipping and then huge upside guys like Jahvid Best can be had in about the 7th round.

I think there is just a ton of value everywhere with all the spread offenses and rbbc. Players are going to break out in major way, so I guess the best stratgey is to just load up on a ton of these guys and hope.

QB- P. Rivers, Russell Wilson
WR- Reggie Wanye, E. Sanders
WR- Randall Cobb, Brandon Tate
RB- Foster, Donald Brown, Iasaac Redman, John Dwyer
RB- Sproles, Peyton Hillis, Jaquizz
TE- Gates
DEF- Buffalo

PostPosted: Wed 07.25.2012, 11:28 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 114100
Donate
min.gif
hard 10 wrote:
Both.

Guys like Roy Helu, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Willis McGahee, Donald Brown & both Carolina backs are going in rounds 7-11 (10 team, according to current MFL ADPs), and all are capable of being solid #2 RBs.

Of the receivers going in the same range, there's a proven #1 WR coming off a down year with several terrible QBs (Reggie Wayne, who looks like a steal in the 9th round), a couple young veteran guys in new situations with something to prove (Meachem, who i like, and Garcon, who's crappy), and a few guys who have shown flashes but haven't consistently lived up to their talent (Crabtree, Rice, Lloyd, Holmes). Toss in a few buzzy sleepers (Torey Smith, Denarius Moore, Eric Decker, Greg Little), and these two groups are very similar. There's a lot of potential, and you're in good shape if one or two of them pans out.

Assuming I picked up a couple solid backs and receivers, along with a good QB, in the early rounds, I'd feel pretty good about coming out of rounds 7-11 with Wayne, Green-Ellis, Meachem and either Brown or one of the Carolina RBs.

Overall, I'd feel better about having to find starting receivers at this point than starting RBs, but there are a bunch of each that I'd like in #3/flex spots.

Good post, hard 10.

Fully agree about both. Just a matter of who you're looking at and when to pull the trigger.. 'Who doesn't belong on the board? Who is capable and in a situation of putting up higher than expected/perceived #'s?' IMHO - Deciphering thats always been the trick and getting lucky always helps.

PostPosted: Wed 07.25.2012, 15:46 

Sand$: 95007
Donate
Middle rounds, WR. The quality of WR to be found in rounds 3-7 is why I'm not drafting Calvin or any of the other top talents in the first 2 rounds. Relatively speaking, there will be better WR's than TE's, RB's, and QB's in those rounds. What's great is there are a lot of options to choose from so you don't have to get married to anyone.

Later rounds, RB. There's some goods to be found at WR, but most of my teams have 3 WR's by round 7, maybe 4 by round 8, so my attention diverts about this time and based off the ADP's on MFL there are some good darts to throw in the 8-12 round range. McGahee (and Hillman), LeShoure, Ryan Williams, Donald Brown, Starks, LMJ, Quizz, Hightower, and others - there's a lot. I think a lot of these guys are capable of matching or exceeding many RB's drafted in the mid rounds, so I'm throwing 2-3 darts at these guys and hoping one sticks. I have my favorites, but...can't get pigeon holed in drafts.

PostPosted: Wed 07.25.2012, 15:48 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 782
Donate
OarChambo wrote:
Middle rounds, WR. The quality of WR to be found in rounds 3-7 is why I'm not drafting Calvin or any of the other top talents in the first 2 rounds. Relatively speaking, there will be better WR's than TE's, RB's, and QB's in those rounds. What's great is there are a lot of options to choose from so you don't have to get married to anyone.

Later rounds, RB. There's some goods to be found at WR, but most of my teams have 3 WR's by round 7, maybe 4 by round 8, so my attention diverts about this time and based off the ADP's on MFL there are some good darts to throw in the 8-12 round range. McGahee (and Hillman), LeShoure, Ryan Williams, Donald Brown, Starks, LMJ, Quizz, Hightower, and others - there's a lot. I think a lot of these guys are capable of matching or exceeding many RB's drafted in the mid rounds, so I'm throwing 2-3 darts at these guys and hoping one sticks. I have my favorites, but...can't get pigeon holed in drafts.

McGahee? Isn't he like a 5th round pick?

WR: V. Jackson, M. Austin, A. Johnson (D. Williams, D. Nelson, Bess, D. Thomas)
Flex: Gresham
TE: Graham (Dickson)
D/ST: Redskins
K: Gano