FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sun 11.23.2014, 22:50

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 11:37 

Sand$: 48482
Donate
nyj.gif
Quote:
First-round rookie Doug Martin worked as the primary running back during the Bucs' first training camp practice.
It's only Day One, but it's confirmation that Martin is already ahead of LeGarrette Blount. We'd expect nothing less after the Bucs traded up in the draft to use the No. 31 overall pick on the versatile Boise State product. At the very least, Martin projects to earn a solid share of early-down work in addition to all passing-down duties. With an ADP in the middle of the fourth round, Martin could be one of the better value picks at running back this year.

Last edited by endzoneview on Fri 07.27.2012, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 11:41 

Sand$: 100682
Donate
I hope more clarity emerges here because he's my early round wildcard. If he's going to be the bellcow I'll consider looking in another direction than RB round 2 (unless Richardson is there) then come back with Martin in round 3. Round 3 because I forsee his ADP going up if he's going to get the load.

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 11:47 
SandShark

Sand$: 208
Donate
I really like Martin and think there's no question his talent far exceeds that of Blount.

But, do you all think he's worth the pick at 3.02? I agree that his ADP is sure to rise after a few preseason games and I just don't think there's any chance he's available at the end of round 4.

Thoughts?

Also, one thing that has me on the fence is that rookie RBs who end up turning in great years are few and far between. Could this be a case where expectations are just too high in his first year? I think long term he should be a great player.

QB - M.Vick, A.Luck
RB - A.Foster, D.Martin, R.Williams, K.Hunter
WR - A.Green, H.Nicks, T.Smith, J.Blackmon, A.Collie
TE - B.Pettigrew, D.Pitta
DST - HOU
K - J.Tucker

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 11:48 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 18648
Donate
Location: Griff is a Demi God. I know this because I am one also.
min.gif
180-220 850 ish 5tds 20 rec 150 1 td.

Bucs are a mess.

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 11:54 

Sand$: 48482
Donate
nyj.gif
badgasman9 wrote:

Bucs are a mess.

Bucs were a mess. It's a new season.

I have a good feeling on Martin's fantasy success this year. Run heavy head coach, a true #1 WR added to the mix. Freeman had the mother of all sophomore jinxes but I think he'll rebound.

I think Martin gets 300 touches in his rookie season. I would say Blount could get goal line, but the dude can't hold onto the ball and I'm sure his attitude is going to sour quickly once he realizes Martin is the man.

1200 total yards, 9 TD's

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 11:54 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 39322
Donate
pit.gif
badgasman9 wrote:

Bucs are a mess.

One of the better olines in the league, Vjax in FA coupled with MWilliams. Eli's EX qb coach is the new OC, should help freeman. Schiano seems to be trying to be a coach and not the players best friend.

There not SB contenders by any means , but I like what I see on offense.

IF they keep blount in a reserve role I see similiar numbers to trent.

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 12:01 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3202
Donate
cle.gif
I think Martin is in a great situation and should see plenty of touches, but those that think he will be a great NFL RB, I'm not buying. Look at his stats in college, playing for Boise State when 90% of his games were against terrible teams. He averaged 5.6 yards for his career, but only 4.9 as a senior with a loaded supporting cast. Now he did have a lot of short TDs that will drag it down some, but honestly that scares me some. Playing for such a dominant team against a very weak schedule for the most part, his stats should be much better IMO.

But I do think he is well rounded and he will be a solid RB2 this season, with some ups and downs. Though I'd rather have him as my RB3, but that isn't going to happen as his ADP is climbing and will continue to climb as he sees more of the load. The situation is ideal, so he should be in position to produce.

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 12:21 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
davidgrey wrote:
I think Martin is in a great situation and should see plenty of touches, but those that think he will be a great NFL RB, I'm not buying. Look at his stats in college, playing for Boise State when 90% of his games were against terrible teams. He averaged 5.6 yards for his career, but only 4.9 as a senior with a loaded supporting cast. Now he did have a lot of short TDs that will drag it down some, but honestly that scares me some. Playing for such a dominant team against a very weak schedule for the most part, his stats should be much better IMO.

But I do think he is well rounded and he will be a solid RB2 this season, with some ups and downs. Though I'd rather have him as my RB3, but that isn't going to happen as his ADP is climbing and will continue to climb as he sees more of the load. The situation is ideal, so he should be in position to produce.

Thats what I am thinking. If Blount hangs onto the ball and drops fumbling issues. There not going to turn the load over to the rookie. 2 back system. Clearly the giants thought they would get Martin at there draft spot. However the hype comes from the situation more so then the talent. McCoy is 80 times the back Martin is and there was a adjustment that needed to occur before he took off. My guess is Martin will have a learning curve on LBs that get to the whole 10 times faster then he is used to.

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 13:42 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 5459
Donate
pit.gif
Quote:
Look at his stats in college, playing for Boise State when 90% of his games were against terrible teams

There have been numerous comparisons to Ray Rice. I looked at Utah States 2011 schedule and to me, not enough of a difference to Ray Rice's last year at Rutgers to discuss SOS wise.

Their stats in terms of yardage average per rush are comparable as well with Martin better suited for goal line at least size comparison wise. Neither guys stats led you to believe they are / were a superior receiver although Martin caught approx 2x many passes as Rice in college

Bottom line to me - I think they are very close skill set wise. Took a look at their respective Combine results:

Item......Rice .....Martin
Weight - 199 - 223
40 - 4.47 - 4.55
Shuttle - 4.20 - 4.16
Broad jump - 119" - 120"
Bench - 23 reps - 29 reps
Vertical - 31.5" - 36"

The 40 time sticks out a little but Martin was a hair quicker in the shuttle and perhaps a little more explosive given the vertical disparity.

For reference purposes, Rice had about 140 touches his rookie year, 33 of which were receptions when he was splitting time and a distant 3rd in touches with McClain and McGahee. Martin will be competing against Blount primarily for touches.

I think it's straightforward - and agree with the above, if Martin gets the touches, he's skilled enough to produce. I wonder how many receptions he's likely to produce in their offense under Schiano because that could be the difference between him being a mid-low RB2 or possibly a high end RB2 in PPR scoring.

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 13:53 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1724
Donate
I'm leery of rookie RBs as I don't think there are a ton of good examples of rookie RBs producing at a high level in the NFL in the last three years. In fact the only one I find that was decent his rookie year is Knowshon (blech). I'm already sold on Trent being an immediate contributor, but I'm struggling buying into the second most talented RB in the draft. Is it just a really strong crop of rookie RBs this year? For those of you buying Martin, are you seeing this as 2008-esque with CJ and Forte?

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 13:54 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 39322
Donate
pit.gif
badgasman9 wrote:
davidgrey wrote:

Thats what I am thinking. If Blount hangs onto the ball and drops fumbling issues. There not going to turn the load over to the rookie. 2 back system. Clearly the giants thought they would get Martin at there draft spot. However the hype comes from the situation more so then the talent. McCoy is 80 times the back Martin is and there was a adjustment that needed to occur before he took off. My guess is Martin will have a learning curve on LBs that get to the whole 10 times faster then he is used to.

They already have turned the load over.

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 14:36 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
rugger48 wrote:
badgasman9 wrote:
davidgrey wrote:

They already have turned the load over.

Dam I missed week 1? and preseason?

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 14:37 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 3245
Donate
dal.gif
badgasman9 wrote:

Bucs are a mess.

If he becomes the featured running back he catches way more then 20. If he is only the 3rd down back he catches way more then 20. That projection is extremely low

QB- A. Luck
WR- Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Cecil Shorts, Andre Roberts
WR- Roddy White, Percy Harvin, Cody Lattimore, D. Adams
RB- J. Bell, C. Michael, Alfred Blue, CJ Anderson
TE- GRONK
DEF- Indy, Wash

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 14:59 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
simayonaise wrote:
badgasman9 wrote:

Bucs are a mess.

If he becomes the featured running back he catches way more then 20. If he is only the 3rd down back he catches way more then 20. That projection is extremely low

I see Martin as a younger brother to McCoy. While Blount isn't Westy. Blounts production wasn't dismal. I for got about lumpkin so yes the rec's are low. How could I forget about lumpkin.
McCoy rookie season
2009 PHI 16 155 637
2009 PHI 16 40 308

The reason for low rec
Blount
2010 TB 13 5 14 2.8 7 0 0 1 1
2011 TB 14 15 148 9.9 35 0 6 2 1

Blounts rushing

2010 TB 13 201 1,007 5.0 53 6 38 3 2
2011 TB 14 184 781 4.2 54 5 32 3 2

For those that think they signed V Jax and everything is right as rain. V Jax is not one to go up and fight for the ball. Atleast not in SD. Freeman threw picks like mad. The WR core is dismal and I don't consider adding V Jax and great change in dirrection. Not in that offense. Freeman is the problem. A qb which lost confidence is worthles in this league.

I don't see the TBB offense taking off in any direction this year. Freeman ='s McNabb circa 2009 thus Martin ='s McCoy 2009

PostPosted: Fri 07.27.2012, 15:47 
Tiger Shark

Sand$: 684
Donate
dal.gif
endzoneview wrote:
Quote:
First-round rookie Doug Martin worked as the primary running back during the Bucs' first training camp practice.
It's only Day One, but it's confirmation that Martin is already ahead of LeGarrette Blount. We'd expect nothing less after the Bucs traded up in the draft to use the No. 31 overall pick on the versatile Boise State product. At the very least, Martin projects to earn a solid share of early-down work in addition to all passing-down duties. With an ADP in the middle of the fourth round, Martin could be one of the better value picks at running back this year.

Doug Martin may prove to be productive in his rookie season... But he's currently being drafted in similar positions (or ahead of) guys like Fred Jackson, Ahmad Bradshaw, Michael Turner, Frank Gore, Green-Ellis, McGahee, etc...

Except for maybe Gore, I think I'd rather have any one of those guys over a rookie who doesn't have anything substantial to base an opinion off of. I'll buy in to the Richardson hype because they've reported and made it clear he'll be the workhorse/focal point of the offense in Cleveland... Too many question marks around Doug Martin to draft him where he'll be going, though (IMO).

Just my .02 cents!

To all you virgins, thanks for nothing.

There are three kinds of people in this world those who can count and those who can’t.

How is it that “fat chance” and “slim chance” mean the same thing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next