FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Fri 10.31.2014, 02:44

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 08:27 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 3471
Donate
So I'm hearing buzz that Jake Locker could be one of the late round QB sleepers with upside.

Yesterday on Sirius he was in a list of top 5 upside QB's.
This morning -
NFL Network's Mike Lombardi stated on Inside Training Camp Live Tuesday that he's "learned" Jake Locker is the favorite to open the season as the Titans' starting quarterback.
The Titans intend to run a vertical, pass-first offense, and Locker gives them their best chance to execute with a power arm, strong pocket composure, and difference-making athleticism when receivers fail to defeat coverage downfield. If Locker performs as Titans coaches seemingly hope -- holding off Matt Hasselbeck -- he should not struggle to post top-15 quarterback stats. Locker is dangerous on the run, and Tennessee's passing attack offers explosive elements even if anything they get from Kenny Britt is a "bonus." Already a high-upside value-pick QB2, Locker will be a fantasy backup to target in late rounds. Jul 31 - 2:36 PM

As I know little to nothing about Locker why is everyone so infatuated? I know he is in a good system but seems what I saw in game performance last year doesn't warrant the attention.

Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 08:41 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 2356
Donate
cin.gif
In limited action last year, I liked what I saw out of Locker, for the most part. His mobility is a huge upgrade over that of Hass and he made some great plays with his feet last year. This was one of my favorites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4H30GJp5Tw

QB/2RB/3WR/TE/K/DST/2DL/4LB/3DB

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 08:49 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 15593
Donate
tnuts13 wrote:
So I'm hearing buzz that Jake Locker could be one of the late round QB sleepers with upside.

Yesterday on Sirius he was in a list of top 5 upside QB's.
This morning -
NFL Network's Mike Lombardi stated on Inside Training Camp Live Tuesday that he's "learned" Jake Locker is the favorite to open the season as the Titans' starting quarterback.
The Titans intend to run a vertical, pass-first offense, and Locker gives them their best chance to execute with a power arm, strong pocket composure, and difference-making athleticism when receivers fail to defeat coverage downfield. If Locker performs as Titans coaches seemingly hope -- holding off Matt Hasselbeck -- he should not struggle to post top-15 quarterback stats. Locker is dangerous on the run, and Tennessee's passing attack offers explosive elements even if anything they get from Kenny Britt is a "bonus." Already a high-upside value-pick QB2, Locker will be a fantasy backup to target in late rounds. Jul 31 - 2:36 PM

As I know little to nothing about Locker why is everyone so infatuated? I know he is in a good system but seems what I saw in game performance last year doesn't warrant the attention.

the bolded is probably why. he was a rookie with no offseason and very little to throw to, besides, I'm not seeing a whole lot of people talking about him, much less "so infatuated".

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 09:01 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37724
Donate
chi.gif
Why Jake Locker? Because "analysts" need something to talk about and a couple of them decided it would be him.

He's more likely to sit on the bench behind Hasselbeck most of the season than to have a breakout year.

He can be ignored in all but the deepest of redraft leagues.

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 09:03 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 26560
Donate
sf.gif
One of the biggest knocks on him was his accuracy..at least in college it was. He was the heisman favorite his last year in college but he had a bad year. If he found a way to adjust to enhance his accuracy then i agree this guy can be good. I like his running ability the most..

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 09:07 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 35274
Donate
mia.gif
hard 10 wrote:
Why Jake Locker? Because "analysts" need something to talk about and a couple of them decided it would be him.

He's more likely to sit on the bench behind Hasselbeck most of the season than to have a breakout year.

Disagree. I think he starts. If not to start the year, then to finish.

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 09:09 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 35274
Donate
mia.gif
Not that I'd draft him to start for a redraft team.

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 09:12 

Sand$: 99498
Donate
Kinda like Tebow when he starts, when he is out there he'll be a better fantasy QB than real QB. Great mobility in and out of the pocket - will tuck it and run, good pocket awareness, reads the field well, live arm, good long ball - everything you need to have a good matchup play QB. He won't accumulate the rushing totals of Tebow, but he'll do some and his work through the air will bridge the difference. He's not a primary target of mine as a backup QB, but he's on the list, and in my crazy 6 team league in which we can start 4 QB's I am going for him. If I roster a 3rd QB as I have done before it will probably be him.

Long term, problem is his accuracy, it's dreadful, and it may not be repairable. Bigger problem - his mechanics are fine, but his throws are erractic. Everything else is good enough that he'll get some rope once he's given the job, but I'm not betting on him becoming the franchise QB for the next decade. Yearly leagues? I'll be looking at taking the gamble as long as the price is right. This year qualifies.

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 09:18 
HammerHead Shark

Donate
cin.gif
Elmagister wrote:
hard 10 wrote:

Disagree. I think he starts. If not to start the year, then to finish.

X2

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 10:37 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 5506
Donate
car.gif
OarChambo wrote:
Kinda like Tebow when he starts, when he is out there he'll be a better fantasy QB than real QB. Great mobility in and out of the pocket - will tuck it and run, good pocket awareness, reads the field well, live arm, good long ball - everything you need to have a good matchup play QB. He won't accumulate the rushing totals of Tebow, but he'll do some and his work through the air will bridge the difference. He's not a primary target of mine as a backup QB, but he's on the list, and in my crazy 6 team league in which we can start 4 QB's I am going for him. If I roster a 3rd QB as I have done before it will probably be him.

Long term, problem is his accuracy, it's dreadful, and it may not be repairable. Bigger problem - his mechanics are fine, but his throws are erractic. Everything else is good enough that he'll get some rope once he's given the job, but I'm not betting on him becoming the franchise QB for the next decade. Yearly leagues? I'll be looking at taking the gamble as long as the price is right. This year qualifies.

i don't know if i would consider him a gunslinger but i do see him taking a ton of chances that he probably shouldn't just because he doesn't have the control you'd like to see. i kind of see a bret favre type without the upside.

i'm not a fan. whoever has him on their roster is probably going to be frustrated a lot...esp. this year because you'll be waiting every week for him to get the start over hass and you'll be burning a much needed roster spot while you wait. when he gets on the field i would pretty much expect (at best?) a 1:1, TD:INT ratio.

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 11:16 

Sand$: 52229
Donate
nyj.gif
The Titans finished 8th overall in pass attempts as a team last year, so their playcalling seems to favor the gunslinger type.

Week 9 Bets Posted

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 11:40 

Sand$: 99498
Donate
raynman wrote:
OarChambo wrote:

i don't know if i would consider him a gunslinger but i do see him taking a ton of chances that he probably shouldn't just because he doesn't have the control you'd like to see. i kind of see a bret favre type without the upside.

i'm not a fan. whoever has him on their roster is probably going to be frustrated a lot...esp. this year because you'll be waiting every week for him to get the start over hass and you'll be burning a much needed roster spot while you wait. when he gets on the field i would pretty much expect (at best?) a 1:1, TD:INT ratio.

The whole passing game is a bit volatile right now. Thankfully Kendall Wright finally inked, but he's still very green when it comes to sophisticated passing offenses. I think his role will be limited this year, but there's big play potential whenever he's on the field. Jared Cook always flirts with potential then seems to not come out of his shell until the end of the season. Obviously Kenny Britt has health and dumb rump issues. The only mark of stability is Nate Washington, which will help.

In the end, there's too many questions for me to feel good about him the first few weeks but as it comes together I think this passing offense could really develop as the season goes on. Enough so that I'd consider selling my #1 QB to fix holes elsewhere and plug Locker in, that'd be his role on my team, but I won't be attached if something sinier pops up on waivers or enough gems fall in the draft causing me not to draft him.

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 11:50 
Leopard Shark

Sand$: 396
Donate
gb.gif
Locker will be the starter by the end of the season. I wouldn't draft him, but by the end of the season he might end up being a decent bye week option. It's the NFL anything can happen. Hell the Vikings could win the Super Bowl. Ok maybe not anything.

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 11:56 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 12114
Donate
gb.gif
In redrafts he's nothing more than a bottom-end QB2. If you've gone through the draft, and want QB insurance, he's probably a decent 12th round pick.

In keeper leagues, he's definitely worth a late pick. If he gets a full season under his belt, he has demonstrated all the talents (deep ball, accuracy, mobility, decision making) to be a premier QB in the league. Now whether he can do it consistently....

In dynasty he's probably gone already, and his trade value is probably higher than his risk at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 12:24 
HammerHead Shark

Donate
cin.gif
jnadke wrote:
In dynasty he's probably gone already, and his trade value is probably higher than his risk at the moment.

Yeah, I grabbed him in my dyno league at the end of last year and I have Cam and Eli...LOL! I don't really like carrying 3 QB's but I'm intrigued by him...