FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Fri 10.31.2014, 02:44

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 08:27 
Offline
Whale Shark
User avatar

Joined: Sun 09.02.2007, 13:26
Posts: 1198
Sand$: 3471
Donate
Location: Charlotte
So I'm hearing buzz that Jake Locker could be one of the late round QB sleepers with upside.

Yesterday on Sirius he was in a list of top 5 upside QB's.
This morning -
NFL Network's Mike Lombardi stated on Inside Training Camp Live Tuesday that he's "learned" Jake Locker is the favorite to open the season as the Titans' starting quarterback.
The Titans intend to run a vertical, pass-first offense, and Locker gives them their best chance to execute with a power arm, strong pocket composure, and difference-making athleticism when receivers fail to defeat coverage downfield. If Locker performs as Titans coaches seemingly hope -- holding off Matt Hasselbeck -- he should not struggle to post top-15 quarterback stats. Locker is dangerous on the run, and Tennessee's passing attack offers explosive elements even if anything they get from Kenny Britt is a "bonus." Already a high-upside value-pick QB2, Locker will be a fantasy backup to target in late rounds. Jul 31 - 2:36 PM

As I know little to nothing about Locker why is everyone so infatuated? I know he is in a good system but seems what I saw in game performance last year doesn't warrant the attention.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 08:41 
Offline
HammerHead Shark
User avatar

Joined: Tue 10.14.2008, 12:35
Posts: 948
Sand$: 2356
Donate
Location: Southwestern Ohio
cin.gif
In limited action last year, I liked what I saw out of Locker, for the most part. His mobility is a huge upgrade over that of Hass and he made some great plays with his feet last year. This was one of my favorites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4H30GJp5Tw

_________________
12 Team Dynasty League
2 PPR
36 Man Roster
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/K/DST/2DL/4LB/3DB


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 08:49 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Mon 05.31.2004, 04:01
Posts: 14536
Sand$: 15593
Donate
tnuts13 wrote:
So I'm hearing buzz that Jake Locker could be one of the late round QB sleepers with upside.

Yesterday on Sirius he was in a list of top 5 upside QB's.
This morning -
NFL Network's Mike Lombardi stated on Inside Training Camp Live Tuesday that he's "learned" Jake Locker is the favorite to open the season as the Titans' starting quarterback.
The Titans intend to run a vertical, pass-first offense, and Locker gives them their best chance to execute with a power arm, strong pocket composure, and difference-making athleticism when receivers fail to defeat coverage downfield. If Locker performs as Titans coaches seemingly hope -- holding off Matt Hasselbeck -- he should not struggle to post top-15 quarterback stats. Locker is dangerous on the run, and Tennessee's passing attack offers explosive elements even if anything they get from Kenny Britt is a "bonus." Already a high-upside value-pick QB2, Locker will be a fantasy backup to target in late rounds. Jul 31 - 2:36 PM

As I know little to nothing about Locker why is everyone so infatuated? I know he is in a good system but seems what I saw in game performance last year doesn't warrant the attention.


the bolded is probably why. he was a rookie with no offseason and very little to throw to, besides, I'm not seeing a whole lot of people talking about him, much less "so infatuated".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 09:01 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Tue 08.26.2003, 13:03
Posts: 14676
Sand$: 37724
Donate
Location: At the bar, getting a Bell's Amber Ale
chi.gif
Why Jake Locker? Because "analysts" need something to talk about and a couple of them decided it would be him.

He's more likely to sit on the bench behind Hasselbeck most of the season than to have a breakout year.

He can be ignored in all but the deepest of redraft leagues.

_________________
"If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker."
-Mike McD, Rounders


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 09:03 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Fri 07.13.2012, 16:47
Posts: 11151
Sand$: 26560
Donate
sf.gif
One of the biggest knocks on him was his accuracy..at least in college it was. He was the heisman favorite his last year in college but he had a bad year. If he found a way to adjust to enhance his accuracy then i agree this guy can be good. I like his running ability the most..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 09:07 
Offline
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Sat 05.16.2009, 09:57
Posts: 30600
Sand$: 35274
Donate
Location: Arkansas
mia.gif
hard 10 wrote:
Why Jake Locker? Because "analysts" need something to talk about and a couple of them decided it would be him.

He's more likely to sit on the bench behind Hasselbeck most of the season than to have a breakout year.

He can be ignored in all but the deepest of redraft leagues.

Disagree. I think he starts. If not to start the year, then to finish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 09:09 
Offline
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Sat 05.16.2009, 09:57
Posts: 30600
Sand$: 35274
Donate
Location: Arkansas
mia.gif
Not that I'd draft him to start for a redraft team.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 09:12 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri 07.07.2006, 10:59
Posts: 44740
Sand$: 99498
Donate
Location: The North Coast
Kinda like Tebow when he starts, when he is out there he'll be a better fantasy QB than real QB. Great mobility in and out of the pocket - will tuck it and run, good pocket awareness, reads the field well, live arm, good long ball - everything you need to have a good matchup play QB. He won't accumulate the rushing totals of Tebow, but he'll do some and his work through the air will bridge the difference. He's not a primary target of mine as a backup QB, but he's on the list, and in my crazy 6 team league in which we can start 4 QB's I am going for him. If I roster a 3rd QB as I have done before it will probably be him.

Long term, problem is his accuracy, it's dreadful, and it may not be repairable. Bigger problem - his mechanics are fine, but his throws are erractic. Everything else is good enough that he'll get some rope once he's given the job, but I'm not betting on him becoming the franchise QB for the next decade. Yearly leagues? I'll be looking at taking the gamble as long as the price is right. This year qualifies.

_________________
Follow me @mchamberlin32


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 09:18 
Offline
HammerHead Shark
User avatar

Joined: Tue 10.14.2008, 12:35
Posts: 948
Sand$: 2356
Donate
Location: Southwestern Ohio
cin.gif
Elmagister wrote:
hard 10 wrote:
Why Jake Locker? Because "analysts" need something to talk about and a couple of them decided it would be him.

He's more likely to sit on the bench behind Hasselbeck most of the season than to have a breakout year.

He can be ignored in all but the deepest of redraft leagues.

Disagree. I think he starts. If not to start the year, then to finish.


X2

_________________
12 Team Dynasty League
2 PPR
36 Man Roster
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/K/DST/2DL/4LB/3DB


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 10:37 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Thu 09.15.2005, 16:53
Posts: 22856
Sand$: 5506
Donate
Location: north camolina
car.gif
OarChambo wrote:
Kinda like Tebow when he starts, when he is out there he'll be a better fantasy QB than real QB. Great mobility in and out of the pocket - will tuck it and run, good pocket awareness, reads the field well, live arm, good long ball - everything you need to have a good matchup play QB. He won't accumulate the rushing totals of Tebow, but he'll do some and his work through the air will bridge the difference. He's not a primary target of mine as a backup QB, but he's on the list, and in my crazy 6 team league in which we can start 4 QB's I am going for him. If I roster a 3rd QB as I have done before it will probably be him.

Long term, problem is his accuracy, it's dreadful, and it may not be repairable. Bigger problem - his mechanics are fine, but his throws are erractic. Everything else is good enough that he'll get some rope once he's given the job, but I'm not betting on him becoming the franchise QB for the next decade. Yearly leagues? I'll be looking at taking the gamble as long as the price is right. This year qualifies.

i don't know if i would consider him a gunslinger but i do see him taking a ton of chances that he probably shouldn't just because he doesn't have the control you'd like to see. i kind of see a bret favre type without the upside.

i'm not a fan. whoever has him on their roster is probably going to be frustrated a lot...esp. this year because you'll be waiting every week for him to get the start over hass and you'll be burning a much needed roster spot while you wait. when he gets on the field i would pretty much expect (at best?) a 1:1, TD:INT ratio.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 11:16 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat 08.01.2009, 23:39
Posts: 30052
Sand$: 52229
Donate
Location: https://twitter.com/endzoneview
nyj.gif
The Titans finished 8th overall in pass attempts as a team last year, so their playcalling seems to favor the gunslinger type.

_________________
Outkicking the Coverage- Week 9

Week 9 Bets Posted


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 11:40 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri 07.07.2006, 10:59
Posts: 44740
Sand$: 99498
Donate
Location: The North Coast
raynman wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
Kinda like Tebow when he starts, when he is out there he'll be a better fantasy QB than real QB. Great mobility in and out of the pocket - will tuck it and run, good pocket awareness, reads the field well, live arm, good long ball - everything you need to have a good matchup play QB. He won't accumulate the rushing totals of Tebow, but he'll do some and his work through the air will bridge the difference. He's not a primary target of mine as a backup QB, but he's on the list, and in my crazy 6 team league in which we can start 4 QB's I am going for him. If I roster a 3rd QB as I have done before it will probably be him.

Long term, problem is his accuracy, it's dreadful, and it may not be repairable. Bigger problem - his mechanics are fine, but his throws are erractic. Everything else is good enough that he'll get some rope once he's given the job, but I'm not betting on him becoming the franchise QB for the next decade. Yearly leagues? I'll be looking at taking the gamble as long as the price is right. This year qualifies.

i don't know if i would consider him a gunslinger but i do see him taking a ton of chances that he probably shouldn't just because he doesn't have the control you'd like to see. i kind of see a bret favre type without the upside.

i'm not a fan. whoever has him on their roster is probably going to be frustrated a lot...esp. this year because you'll be waiting every week for him to get the start over hass and you'll be burning a much needed roster spot while you wait. when he gets on the field i would pretty much expect (at best?) a 1:1, TD:INT ratio.

The whole passing game is a bit volatile right now. Thankfully Kendall Wright finally inked, but he's still very green when it comes to sophisticated passing offenses. I think his role will be limited this year, but there's big play potential whenever he's on the field. Jared Cook always flirts with potential then seems to not come out of his shell until the end of the season. Obviously Kenny Britt has health and dumb rump issues. The only mark of stability is Nate Washington, which will help.

In the end, there's too many questions for me to feel good about him the first few weeks but as it comes together I think this passing offense could really develop as the season goes on. Enough so that I'd consider selling my #1 QB to fix holes elsewhere and plug Locker in, that'd be his role on my team, but I won't be attached if something sinier pops up on waivers or enough gems fall in the draft causing me not to draft him.

_________________
Follow me @mchamberlin32


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 11:50 
Offline
Leopard Shark
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07.10.2010, 14:57
Posts: 172
Sand$: 396
Donate
gb.gif
Locker will be the starter by the end of the season. I wouldn't draft him, but by the end of the season he might end up being a decent bye week option. It's the NFL anything can happen. Hell the Vikings could win the Super Bowl. Ok maybe not anything.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 11:56 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Joined: Mon 09.27.2010, 23:48
Posts: 6070
Sand$: 12114
Donate
gb.gif
In redrafts he's nothing more than a bottom-end QB2. If you've gone through the draft, and want QB insurance, he's probably a decent 12th round pick.


In keeper leagues, he's definitely worth a late pick. If he gets a full season under his belt, he has demonstrated all the talents (deep ball, accuracy, mobility, decision making) to be a premier QB in the league. Now whether he can do it consistently....

In dynasty he's probably gone already, and his trade value is probably higher than his risk at the moment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why Jake Locker?
PostPosted: Wed 08.01.2012, 12:24 
Offline
HammerHead Shark
User avatar

Joined: Tue 10.14.2008, 12:35
Posts: 948
Sand$: 2356
Donate
Location: Southwestern Ohio
cin.gif
jnadke wrote:
In dynasty he's probably gone already, and his trade value is probably higher than his risk at the moment.


Yeah, I grabbed him in my dyno league at the end of last year and I have Cam and Eli...LOL! I don't really like carrying 3 QB's but I'm intrigued by him...

_________________
12 Team Dynasty League
2 PPR
36 Man Roster
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/K/DST/2DL/4LB/3DB


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Hidosugi and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group