FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Mon 11.24.2014, 11:14

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Brandon Lafell 2012
PostPosted: Thu 08.02.2012, 05:55 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1878
Donate
dal.gif
Thoughts/projections for Brandon Lafell this season?

Post subject: Re: Brandon Lafell 2012
PostPosted: Thu 08.02.2012, 06:52 
Tiger Shark

Sand$: 424
Donate
IMO he can be anywhere from a solid/good wr3 to a player just sitting on waivers...they did bring in Louis Murphy and gettis is returning from injury. It also depends on how well you think cam does throwing the rock this year

PostPosted: Thu 08.02.2012, 07:41 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 21766
Donate
sd.gif
mj021407 wrote:
IMO he can be anywhere from a solid/good wr3 to a player just sitting on waivers...they did bring in Louis Murphy and gettis is returning from injury. It also depends on how well you think cam does throwing the rock this year

Pretty sure Murphy is nothing more than added depth for them for now, but I like his talent. Living in California, I unfortunately have suffered through quite a few Raiders games, and he's not bad at all. Think he was more a victim of a talented group of WRs (Denarius + Heyward-Bey are beasts, and Jacoby Ford is very underrated). Gettis is probably ahead of him on the depth chart for now, but I won't be surprised if Murphy ascends to #3 at least.

Didn't really like what I saw out of Lafell as a rookie, but last year he made some impressive improvements and also showcased some raw talent (the catches he made against GNB = worth looking up). Not to mention having Steve Smith drawing coverage, and an up-and-comer in Cam are probably enough on their own to warrant a flyer as a sleeper.

PostPosted: Thu 08.02.2012, 08:25 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 5506
Donate
car.gif
TheChamp wrote:
mj021407 wrote:

Pretty sure Murphy is nothing more than added depth for them for now, but I like his talent. Living in California, I unfortunately have suffered through quite a few Raiders games, and he's not bad at all. Think he was more a victim of a talented group of WRs (Denarius + Heyward-Bey are beasts, and Jacoby Ford is very underrated). Gettis is probably ahead of him on the depth chart for now, but I won't be surprised if Murphy ascends to #3 at least.

Didn't really like what I saw out of Lafell as a rookie, but last year he made some impressive improvements and also showcased some raw talent (the catches he made against GNB = worth looking up). Not to mention having Steve Smith drawing coverage, and an up-and-comer in Cam are probably enough on their own to warrant a flyer as a sleeper.
lafell is doing great this year and is doing everything well. he's been catching pretty much anything thrown at him and the team is expecting big things from him...but...then there's louis murphy.

i'm not sure if their trading for him on the same day that gettis gets put on the pup list was a coincidence, but the panthers seem determined to get cam a lot of good targets. right now they have 15 WRs on the roster. and then there's olson and barnidge....and tolbert (who they have been lining up as FB, RB, TE, and WR and who is in motion a lot).

point is, they are going to be spreading the ball around a lot. smitty will be the #1 target, of course but then greg olson is next on the pecking order. word out of camp is that he has been newton's 2nd favorite target. beyond that it had seemed like lafell was his 3rd favorite, until murphy showed up.

newton and murphy became good friends at florida and worked together a lot there. they have stayed good friends since then and it almost seemed that they got reconnected on the field immediately. the last couple days i've been hearing about cam throwing to him a lot and murphy making some spectacular catches, pretty much catching everything thrown at him as well. lafell seemed to have the WR2 spot well in hand, but now it seems that murphy is giving him a run for the money. people may doubt, but from the way it sounds this connection between newton and murphy is real and not what people expected down here. they pretty much thought the same thing that people around here thought about him but that's not the case.

lafell is solid as can be, but his production most likely isn't going to be much just because of the competition for targets and the chemistry that newton has with smitty and murphy and olson also getting a ton of love. newotn and lafell have chemistry and their timing has been good, but i don't think it's enough to warrant him getting put on people's rosters. i'd save that spot for someone else (probably not on the panthers...gonna be too frustrating).

PostPosted: Thu 08.02.2012, 08:28 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 21766
Donate
sd.gif
raynman wrote:
TheChamp wrote:
mj021407 wrote:

lafell is doing great this year and is doing everything well. he's been catching pretty much anything thrown at him and the team is expecting big things from him...but...then there's louis murphy.

i'm not sure if their trading for him on the same day that gettis gets put on the pup list was a coincidence, but the panthers seem determined to get cam a lot of good targets. right now they have 15 WRs on the roster. and then there's olson and barnidge....and tolbert (who they have been lining up as FB, RB, TE, and WR and who is in motion a lot).

point is, they are going to be spreading the ball around a lot. smitty will be the #1 target, of course but then greg olson is next on the pecking order. word out of camp is that he has been newton's 2nd favorite target. beyond that it had seemed like lafell was his 3rd favorite, until murphy showed up.

newton and murphy became good friends at florida and worked together a lot there. they have stayed good friends since then and it almost seemed that they got reconnected on the field immediately. the last couple days i've been hearing about cam throwing to him a lot and murphy making some spectacular catches, pretty much catching everything thrown at him as well. lafell seemed to have the WR2 spot well in hand, but now it seems that murphy is giving him a run for the money. people may doubt, but from the way it sounds this connection between newton and murphy is real and not what people expected down here. they pretty much thought the same thing that people around here thought about him but that's not the case.

lafell is solid as can be, but his production most likely isn't going to be much just because of the competition for targets and the chemistry that newton has with smitty and murphy and olson also getting a ton of love. newotn and lafell have chemistry and their timing has been good, but i don't think it's enough to warrant him getting put on people's rosters. i'd save that spot for someone else (probably not on the panthers...gonna be too frustrating).

I had my suspicions based on Murph's talent alone, but this pretty much confirms it for me. Good info.

PostPosted: Thu 08.02.2012, 08:33 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 15649
Donate
LaFell is nothing more than a WR6 on a well-constructed fantasy roster.

You draft him with zero expectations, stash him on the bench, wait to see what happens, hope for the best.

Stafford
McKinnon, Hill, Sims, Latavius, Hyde, PT
Alshon, DePunk, Martavis, Wallace, Davante, Hogan, Moncrief, Latimer
Rivera
DET, KCC

Lost to INJ: Cruz, Cooks

PostPosted: Thu 08.02.2012, 09:32 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1878
Donate
dal.gif
What's he ceiling this season?

PostPosted: Thu 08.02.2012, 10:14 
Tiger Shark

Sand$: 424
Donate
It also comes down to whether or not the panthers throw as much as last year, if the defense is better and they focus more on the run game with 3 good rbs then it'll be tough for lafell to make a significant impact

PostPosted: Thu 08.02.2012, 10:50 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
car.gif
gbill2004 wrote:
What's he ceiling this season?

45 recp, 750 yards and 5 TDs

most likely, though, will be around the 35/550/4-5 range

he's quite capable of being a 900-1000 yards and 10 TD receiver, it's just that there's a lot of competition for targets and the offense is built to spread the ball around.

PostPosted: Thu 08.02.2012, 10:57 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
car.gif
mj021407 wrote:
It also comes down to whether or not the panthers throw as much as last year, if the defense is better and they focus more on the run game with 3 good rbs then it'll be tough for lafell to make a significant impact
i'll say it again, the defense sucking last year had no bearing on the throwing around they did. they were doing that anyway and they weren't coming from behind an many games last year either. they had the lead in most of them because of the throwing around they did and the defense and special teams gave it away.

both the defense and special teams should be MUCH better than last year for a lot of reasons, but i still wouldn't expect that to change what they do on offense much. chud's offense is very aggressive and i'm pretty sure there isn't going to be a whole lot of tapping on the brakes when they have leads because they know what can happen if they do.

i think they'll throw about as much as last year but it's hard to know what they have in store because they have been doing a ton of new stuff so far. it's going to be wide open, that's all i really know.

PostPosted: Thu 08.02.2012, 12:08 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 37730
Donate
car.gif
raynman wrote:
mj021407 wrote:
i'll say it again, the defense sucking last year had no bearing on the throwing around they did. they were doing that anyway and they weren't coming from behind an many games last year either. they had the lead in most of them because of the throwing around they did and the defense and special teams gave it away.

both the defense and special teams should be MUCH better than last year for a lot of reasons, but i still wouldn't expect that to change what they do on offense much. chud's offense is very aggressive and i'm pretty sure there isn't going to be a whole lot of tapping on the brakes when they have leads because they know what can happen if they do.

i think they'll throw about as much as last year but it's hard to know what they have in store because they have been doing a ton of new stuff so far. it's going to be wide open, that's all i really know.

The Panthers weren't really that pass dominant last year.

2011 Teams Pass Percentage of plays called:

Saints 59.3% (662 passes of 1117 plays from scrimmage)
Patriots 56.6% (612 of 1082)
Packers 55.9% (552 of 988)
Eagles 53.5% (554 of 1036)

Panthers 51.9% (519 of 999)

I think you're exactly right in that we'll see <55% of the time pass plays called. I just expect the run game to pick up and perform better than in 2011.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Mon 10.01.2012, 09:43 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 2112
Donate
Ok, so Lafell got a goosegg this week. He started well, but has been pretty weak recently. Is this guy going to pan out at all this year?

PostPosted: Mon 10.01.2012, 09:48 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6380
Donate
dal.gif
lone_ranger wrote:
Ok, so Lafell got a goosegg this week. He started well, but has been pretty weak recently. Is this guy going to pan out at all this year?

I think that entire Offense is going to be random; I don't feel good starting any receiving threat not named Olsen at this point.

12 teamer (3 of 12)
Sanchez/Lacy/Miller/Nelson/Cobb/Denards/D.Walker/Tucker/BUF

14 teamer (5-5)
Ryan/Bradshaw/Ball/Julio/Watkins/Adams/Jimmy/Reed/Crosby/CLE

PostPosted: Mon 10.01.2012, 09:54 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 25176
Donate
sf.gif
lone_ranger wrote:

Yea I wouldn't expect him to be consistent. Doesn't look like Cam is passing a bunch of times and like the other guy said Olsen and Smith will probably lead in targets and Stewart gets looks too.

PostPosted: Mon 10.01.2012, 12:42 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 2412
Donate
dal.gif
In a 12 team PPR league if he was on the waiver wire I probable wouldn't pick him up.

QB-Kaepernick
RB-Ellington, Ingram, P. Thomas, B. Brown, Sims
WR-Megatron, Dez, Decker, Randle, Wright, Baldwin
TE-Reed, ASJ
K-Crosby
D-Weekly Waiver Wire