FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 09.18.2014, 14:44

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Auction leagues budgets
PostPosted: Wed 08.08.2012, 23:53 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6858
Donate
min.gif
Are you guys willing to share your budgets that you use?
Budget $200 w/16 roster spots

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 00:06 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 35184
Donate
car.gif
$200 seems standard

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 00:13 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
min.gif
I will post mine too but I am asking where your values are?
1wr. 36
2wr. 35
1rb. 32
1qb. 20
2rb. 20
3wr. 17
4wr. 10
3rb. 8
1te. 7
2qb. 6
4rb. 2
5wr. 2
5rb. 1
6wr. 1
K. 1
D. 1

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 01:30 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1724
Donate
Keefe wrote:
1wr. 36
2wr. 35
1rb. 32
1qb. 20
2rb. 20
3wr. 17
4wr. 10
3rb. 8
1te. 7
2qb. 6
4rb. 2
5wr. 2
5rb. 1
6wr. 1
K. 1
D. 1

Having that didactic of a gameplan is almost destining you for failure. It's not terrible to have some ideas like that that you might shoot for in a perfect world, but you have to be more flexible than that if you want to do well in an auction.

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 01:47 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18807
Donate
sd.gif
Personally I think you're budgeting way too much for WRs; probably the easiest position to find value at. 200$ is standard, regardless of the roster size; prices just get adjusted accordingly. Here's my plan in a 2QB:

QB 20$ (1 guy in mind, if he gets bid up too high drop this about 10$ and add to remainder)
QB 15$ (Both the QB values can go down to about 12$, totally depends on how people are spending)
RB 50$ (I want 1 of the elite backs this year; would like 1 of my RB slots to have 0 uncertainty)
RB 25$
WR 45$ (only spending this much for you-know-who, if not take away a good 10-15$ and add to remainder)
WR 15$ (some very legitimate options this year I feel have potential to ascend to the top10)
WR 5$ (might be given some more funds, depends on how things shake out)
TE 5$ (I understand this is low, but I'm confident I can stock up on cheap guys of which 1 will be great value)
K 1$
D 1$
Bench: 8$ (1$ per spot)
Remainder: 10$ (this is absolutely critical. you need some elasticity b/c your draft will NOT go exactly how you want; mine's a little low this year, but I'm expecting either that QB that I'm wanting or WR to get bid up --> reallocation of an additional 10-25$). If you have no remainder, you're also gonna get screwed out of all your sleepers as people will snake em' for a buck or two more.

My draft strategy is far from conventional, but I find that every year I'm able to shore up my depth via free agent acquisitions. Thus I tend to spend most of my $ on starters and very little on depth. Depth is very easy to acquire via trade too, in a 2 for 1 everybody wants the 1. WR I feel is the easiest to find value at, but 5$ for my WR3 might be cutting it thin and perhaps will be the 1st spot I allocate my remainder towards.

And keep in mind those few scenarios I mentioned where I readjust my budget mid-draft are only pre-meditated adjustments. You have to be able to call those Peyton Manning audibles unexpectedly in the middle of your draft; if someone is going for significantly less than they are worth, you have to be able to just jump on it and recalculate. Same goes for someone you wanted badly that gets bid up higher than you think they're worth; gotta let it go, and re-allocate.

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 07:43 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 802
Donate
Having a strict budget like that is not good per say, but is a good guideline to determine if you overspend on one person where you have to take it out of. Here is mine:

QB1: 24
QB2: 4
RB1: 54
RB2: 30
RB3: 10
RB4: 4
RB5: 2
WR1: 30
WR2: 20
WR3: 6
WR4: 2
WR5: 2
TE1: 10
TE2: 2
D/ST: 1
K: 1

WR: V. Jackson, M. Austin, A. Johnson (D. Williams, D. Nelson, Bess, D. Thomas)
Flex: Gresham
TE: Graham (Dickson)
D/ST: Redskins
K: Gano

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 07:53 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 3471
Donate
@Keefe

What I do is the following:

Create a standard template. How it works is you have a budget of say $200. On a 12 team league that means the total pool of money available to spend is $2400. Basically you rank all players 1-200 then drop them in position giving you the price. It is based on percentages so if you value a position more you increase the total percentages. That way you have an idea what every player should cost in your opinion and you can wing it at the draft to take advantage of situations instead of predetermined prices per positional player.

I have one premade if you want it just email or PM me.

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 08:36 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1926
Donate
ten.gif
tnuts13 wrote:
@Keefe

What I do is the following:

Create a standard template. How it works is you have a budget of say $200. On a 12 team league that means the total pool of money available to spend is $2400. Basically you rank all players 1-200 then drop them in position giving you the price. It is based on percentages so if you value a position more you increase the total percentages. That way you have an idea what every player should cost in your opinion and you can wing it at the draft to take advantage of situations instead of predetermined prices per positional player.

I have one premade if you want it just email or PM me.

tn - I just sent you a PM about the template. Thanks for sharing! :thumbright:

I use the standard $200 budget for a 16 man team.

Other than firmly budgeting $1 each for a kicker and defense, the only other rule I have it to try and stay flexible. The auction never goes like I think it will and I don't want to box myself into a corner by saying ahead of time that I will spend no more than x$ on a position.

Fantasy Football Extravaganza
Squalid Ancient Chaps
Blow it up! College Fantasy League

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 09:27 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1171
Donate
nyg.gif
This is my third auction. So I have some, not a lot of experience.

I'm in friendly 12 team PPR league. Four of the owners are very active on the ww. Four are semi-active(once/twice a week) and the remaining 4 just like having a horse in the race! \:D/

My first year, I planned for each position in a balanced budget approach. Didn't work out. Some players went for too much and I was shutout.

My second year I made the championship. If you are very active on the ww, this will work for you.

I didn't want to create a budget that simulated a snake draft, where I got my one #1, and my #2, #3 and so on and so forth. That's what I did my first year, not realizing it. Not pretty.

My second year I realized this is an auction and every player is available to me. In a snake draft, everyone is crying I never have the #1 pick or get in the top 3. Well, not an issue anymore. All you have to do is pay. So. who do you want on your team? I decided I wanted to leave the draft with two top 10 RBS and 2 top 10 WRs. If my other positions were weak, there is the ww(key).

I left the draft with McCoy, Forte, Fitzgerald and Nicks.

Budgetwise, I plan to pay $1 for a K, DEF, IDP and bench slots. I allocate $7-$10 for overdraft, for that player(s) you really want. Whatever positions are left over, such as QB, TE and flex, you look at the auction sheet and decide what players you can live with in a certain price range. I planned for Stafford for $8. Lost him to an owner who had once bench position left and $15. I ended up with Bradford(promising with McDaniels in the preseason) but picked up Tebow off the WW. Since I budgeted worst case scenario for my four key players, I had some extra funds, so I got Finley. Wasted money since he didn't do much. I also nabbed Steve Smith(CAR) for $3(godsend early in the season).

But my core four made me 9-4 in the regular season. #1 seed with a bye week and into the championship game where McCoy did nothing! ](*,)

My only caveat is if you go for a player with an injury history(AP, McFadden), you will have to allocated specific funds for his backup. since this will stretch my budget, I didn't do this last year and don't plan on it this year, unless AP/McFadden come will a cheap price tag where I can fit in their backup within a reasonable cost.

GL

RB: McCoy*; Charles*; Bradshaw; D. Martin*
WR: Cruz*; Julio*; Blackmon ; Cobb
TE: Pettigrew*
K: Janik*
DEF: Sea; Cin*
IDP: Dqwell*

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 13:13 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 3471
Donate
Not hijacking... well kinda.

While thinking about budgets I often wonder do most people go big on a couple of players with a set budget or do most people spread their budget over the whole team?

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 13:17 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 9054
Donate
cle.gif
Keefe wrote:
Are you guys willing to share your budgets that you use?
Budget $200 w/16 roster spots

It's all relative..but we have a $400.00 buy-in so the auction amount is 400. Again..for all the newbies out there who have never done an auction..it's by far the best way to go. Not close.

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 13:25 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 9054
Donate
cle.gif
tnuts13 wrote:

While thinking about budgets I often wonder do most people go big on a couple of players with a set budget or do most people spread their budget over the whole team?

There are tons of articles here in the tank over the years on Auction Strategy. It's across the board.
Search for some, you'll get a lot of good info. The quick answer is everyone has their own strategy..but there are only a few that work best.

Ive been doing auctions since 1991. The best auction comes down to finding the gems at a low cost..much like a snake draft. However..that's just scratching the surface. Looking at your scoring system, how does it break down in power rankings per position for overall points value? Then allocate monies in a budget per position accordingly..you wont be perfect, but try to stay close. Using 70% of your monies on your starting lineup is common, and a rule of thumb i've seen time and again. I've seen 90% on starters often..and those teams win a lot of the time. Still..grabbing that stud who goes off at a cheap price has won it more times than anyhting..just like a snake draft.

It still comes down to talent evaluation..but you're in control of the direction you go and the type of team you want. 1,000x better than a snake draft.

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 17:37 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18807
Donate
sd.gif
Fighting Amish wrote:
tnuts13 wrote:

There are tons of articles here in the tank over the years on Auction Strategy. It's across the board.
Search for some, you'll get a lot of good info. The quick answer is everyone has their own strategy..but there are only a few that work best.

Ive been doing auctions since 1991. The best auction comes down to finding the gems at a low cost..much like a snake draft. However..that's just scratching the surface. Looking at your scoring system, how does it break down in power rankings per position for overall points value? Then allocate monies in a budget per position accordingly..you wont be perfect, but try to stay close. Using 70% of your monies on your starting lineup is common, and a rule of thumb i've seen time and again. I've seen 90% on starters often..and those teams win a lot of the time. Still..grabbing that stud who goes off at a cheap price has won it more times than anyhting..just like a snake draft.

It still comes down to talent evaluation..but you're in control of the direction you go and the type of team you want. 1,000x better than a snake draft.

Very well said and couldn't agree more.

I like to budget more to my starters b/c I feel depth is overrated; easy to make 1for2 trades, a lot harder to give a guy 2for1 (probably depends on your leaguemates, but this is my overwhelming experience). + you can make FA acquisitions

Either way, your $$$ studs are a foundation, but your cheaper value picks is what gets you a championship (w/ rare exception of record breakers)

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 18:29 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3689
Donate
People who select people via auction the same way they would draft via standard or snake draft, are simpletons. I've been watching the olympics... whats the best way to win a bicycle race... a team with 1 great biker, 1 good biker, and 1 weak biker? No. You want 3 good bikers that can draft off each other, make it easier for each other, make all of their times better, for the win. The same kind of theory goes into auction drafting. While in regular drafts, you are forced to get 1 great player, 1 good player, 1 weak player as you draft... And you are forced (more or less) to rely on your 1 great player to carry you to a win. In auction drafts, you get whatever you pay for. If you want to pay for 1 great, 1 good, 1 weak player at a position you can.. But, if you want to pay for 3 good players at a position, you can do that also. It all depends on how you spend your money. 3 good players splits the risk evenly, if 1 goes down you are still ok. In the other system, if your 1 great player goes down, you are in BIG trouble.

My strategy focuses on getting the best starting roster possible. I find it's risky to save money for later to get better bench players, as its very likely others have done the same, and guys that should be going for $5 are instead going for $10+. In other words, they are now way overpriced.

So with that being said, here is what I've come up with for a 12 team league with a $200 budget, 15 roster spots. QB, RB, RB, FLEX, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DEF starting positions.

QB 15 (Romo, Rivers type)

RB 39 (DMC, Forte, Murray type)
RB 38 " " " " " "
RB 30 (to use as flex position and simultaneously backup rb) (Charles, Doug Martin, SJax type)

WR 25 (Marshall, Dez Bryant, Nelson, Cruz, Maclin, Steve Smith type)
WR 25
WR 20 (Stevie Johnson, DT, Decker, Steve Smith, Maclin type)

TE 1

DEF 1
K 1

BN 1
BN 1
BN 1
BN 1
BN 1

The only variable here is if I managed to save some money at other positions while still getting the players i was targeting, I might combine those savings with reallocated money from my WR3 spot and instead spend it to get Graham or Gronk, depending on their price. $30 or less and I would probably get them if I can save a bit on some other positions. WR is very deep this year and you might be able to find a low-cost gem at some point for your WR3.

PostPosted: Thu 08.09.2012, 20:42 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
min.gif
jcalebmoore wrote:
Keefe wrote:
1wr. 36
2wr. 35
1rb. 32
1qb. 20
2rb. 20
3wr. 17
4wr. 10
3rb. 8
1te. 7
2qb. 6
4rb. 2
5wr. 2
5rb. 1
6wr. 1
K. 1
D. 1

Having that didactic of a gameplan is almost destining you for failure. It's not terrible to have some ideas like that that you might shoot for in a perfect world, but you have to be more flexible than that if you want to do well in an auction.

In draft I am flexible, say I get Philip rivers for 17, that 3 extra dollars I can put their. I like to be able to have a guideline for what I am doing but everything changes on the during the draft. This is my 4 th year doing an auction.

Last year I went too high away from my budget on a few positions and screwed me in a few different places. So, this year I am going to try and stay close but I know that their will be changes in draft