FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sun 09.21.2014, 09:07

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Week 1 Defenses
PostPosted: Fri 08.10.2012, 19:05 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 10612
Donate
phi.gif
Alright folks, draft time is here, which means its time for Sharks to start looking for the last little edge that helps us win week to week.

That's right, waiver Defenses, or since it's draft season, last round targets. For those that haven't thought about it before, this is NOT where you suggest the Steelers or the Packers, because some chum will be drafting them in the 10th round, well above the actual value of a defense. This is where you suggest a team like the Browns because of their matchup.

Couple matchups leap out to me for week 1:

Saints vs Washington. Rookie QB vs a defense with something to prove.
Texans vs Miami. Do the Phins even HAVE an offense?
Raiders vs San Diego. Matthews might still be out, and it's the Chargers early in the season.

Post subject: Re: Week 1 Defenses
PostPosted: Fri 08.10.2012, 19:09 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 14451
Donate
Klivian wrote:
Alright folks, draft time is here, which means its time for Sharks to start looking for the last little edge that helps us win week to week.

That's right, waiver Defenses, or since it's draft season, last round targets. For those that haven't thought about it before, this is NOT where you suggest the Steelers or the Packers, because some chum will be drafting them in the 10th round, well above the actual value of a defense. This is where you suggest a team like the Browns because of their matchup.

Raiders vs San Diego. Matthews might still be out, and it's the Chargers early in the season.

I like the idea.

But some chum is going to pick Houston before the late rounds, too.

Also, for those of us with a FAB waiver system, it's not always feasible to change out defenses every week.

Cutler, Russell
LeSean, Pierre, Lamar/Knowshon, Hill
Alshon, Cruz, Cordy, Wallace, Cooks, Douglas, Latimer, Landry
Cameron, Niles
MIA

Keepers: Cordy, Cutler

PostPosted: Fri 08.10.2012, 19:14 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 10612
Donate
phi.gif
TheNataliePortmans wrote:
Klivian wrote:

I like the idea.

Also, for those of us with a FAB waiver system, it's not always feasible to change out defenses every week.

Well then obviously you wouldn't be looking in this thread for help.

FS.com has the Texans as 16th for the season, dunno if any of the Chum will be considering them, especially with the retooling on defense and the loss of Ryans

PostPosted: Fri 08.10.2012, 19:37 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 14451
Donate
Klivian wrote:
TheNataliePortmans wrote:
Klivian wrote:

I like the idea.

Well then obviously you wouldn't be looking in this thread for help.

FS.com has the Texans as 16th for the season, dunno if any of the Chum will be considering them, especially with the retooling on defense and the loss of Ryans

I look at and post in the threads I have an interest in, regardless of what you have to say about it.

Cutler, Russell
LeSean, Pierre, Lamar/Knowshon, Hill
Alshon, Cruz, Cordy, Wallace, Cooks, Douglas, Latimer, Landry
Cameron, Niles
MIA

Keepers: Cordy, Cutler

PostPosted: Fri 08.10.2012, 19:51 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 470
Donate
nyg.gif
Buffalo, home vs the Jets

WR:Brown,Floyd,Wallace,Wright
TE:Olsen

10team ppr
QB:Wilson,Kaep
RB:McCoy,Foster,Jennings,Spiller
WR:Green,Floyd,Hilton,Cruz,Quick
TE:Ertz

PostPosted: Fri 08.10.2012, 20:11 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18877
Donate
sd.gif
Pad264 wrote:

Buffalo's suspect run D against a ground and pound offense? No thanks... don't think Sanchez will even be given the opportunity to turn the ball over either, looks like they have him on a pretty tight leash

I'm looking at:

Texans @ Mia (Miami O is a shambles, Moore/Tannehill Wk 1@ QB could pay big dividends)
Eagles @ Cle (TRich isn't gonna be able to shoulder too big a load Wk1 coming off his knee scope)
Bears @ Ind (Rookie QB is gonna be welcomed roughly to the NFL by Chi-Town)

PostPosted: Fri 08.10.2012, 23:29 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 15585
Donate
oak.gif
TheChamp wrote:
Pad264 wrote:

Buffalo's suspect run D against a ground and pound offense? No thanks... don't think Sanchez will even be given the opportunity to turn the ball over either, looks like they have him on a pretty tight leash

I'm looking at:

Texans @ Mia (Miami O is a shambles, Moore/Tannehill Wk 1@ QB could pay big dividends)
Eagles @ Cle (TRich isn't gonna be able to shoulder too big a load Wk1 coming off his knee scope)

All great matchups, but I'd imagine all three of these units will be taken earlier (or for more $ in auctions) than I'd like. Looking at ADP on MFL, all three are among the first 7 defense picked. I'd be happy to get any for $1 at my auction, but for the price I'm willing to pay, I'm looking at

Minnesota vs. Jax and keeping them for week 2 @Indy

or

Cincy, whose opener @ Balt is average, but then they get the goodness of Cleve, @ Wash, @Jax, Miami and @ Cleve. Not sure about the impact of tonight's injuries, but that's a nice stretch.

PostPosted: Sat 08.11.2012, 01:10 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18877
Donate
sd.gif
Apes wrote:
TheChamp wrote:
Pad264 wrote:

I'm looking at:

All great matchups, but I'd imagine all three of these units will be taken earlier (or for more $ in auctions) than I'd like. Looking at ADP on MFL, all three are among the first 7 defense picked. I'd be happy to get any for $1 at my auction, but for the price I'm willing to pay, I'm looking at

or

Cincy, whose opener @ Balt is average, but then they get the goodness of Cleve, @ Wash, @Jax, Miami and @ Cleve. Not sure about the impact of tonight's injuries, but that's a nice stretch.

Nice find on Cinci, that's a really soft opening sched

Hoping I can grab one of Hou/Phi/Chi for 1$, but ya, they have the potential of going for 2-3$ depending on the league

PostPosted: Sat 08.11.2012, 21:49 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 15585
Donate
oak.gif
TheChamp wrote:
Apes wrote:
TheChamp wrote:
Pad264 wrote:

I'm looking at:

or

Nice find on Cinci, that's a really soft opening sched

Hoping I can grab one of Hou/Phi/Chi for 1$, but ya, they have the potential of going for 2-3$ depending on the league

I have to say that I really do like Houston this year. Lots of soft spots in that schedule, and weeks 15 and 16 are Indy and Minn at home. It would go against anything I've ever done, but I may be tempted to pay a bit more than usual to buy them, and rotate in a second defense for the poorer matchups.

PostPosted: Sat 08.11.2012, 22:00 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1696
Donate
TheChamp wrote:
Pad264 wrote:

I'm looking at:

The days of Buffalo being a suspect run D are ending. The changes in the last 2 years have transformed this defense. I like your other 3 options though. I fully plan on streaming defenses most of the early part of the season. Playing matchup D's has worked well for me over the years. Great thread topic.

PostPosted: Sat 08.11.2012, 22:02 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 22186
Donate
sf.gif
I like houston also. I grabbed them in all my leagues..physical young team and they all know their roles. And joseph should be healthy this year too

PostPosted: Sun 08.12.2012, 02:34 
Tiger Shark

Sand$: 117
Donate
pit.gif
Tacks652 wrote:
TheChamp wrote:
Pad264 wrote:

I'm looking at:

The days of Buffalo being a suspect run D are ending. The changes in the last 2 years have transformed this defense. I like your other 3 options though. I fully plan on streaming defenses most of the early part of the season. Playing matchup D's has worked well for me over the years. Great thread topic.

Very True on the Bills. Although the Texans look mighty tasty for week 1

PostPosted: Sun 08.12.2012, 08:43 

Sand$: 9618
Donate
sf.gif
Vikings vs jags at home

PostPosted: Sun 08.12.2012, 09:19 
Chum

Sand$: 6
Donate
Vikings...they will probably go undrafted in most leagues. Have a great schedule first half of season. Have SF early, but it's at home and does anyone really trust Alex Smith? At Detroit week 4 is the only really tough match up...pick up Arizona or Tampa that week off ww.

It's all about the match ups!

PostPosted: Sun 08.12.2012, 09:29 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7437
Donate
ind.gif
Quote:
I look at and post in the threads I have an interest in, regardless of what you have to say about it.

I think you should endeavor to contribute to threads, not just post. We could all add a post to the majority of threads saying that the thread doesn't apply to me ... Hey I don't have either of those players so really it doesn't matter which is a better start, etc. Don't take it wrong. I think the comment was that you didn't advance the thread about what is a good defense to use in week 1, if you can choose among the defenses likely to be available as a free agent acquisition.

Some others:
Buffalo vs the Jets ... Mario Williams in a new defense, and the Jets are WILDLY over-rated. Buffalo has KC in week 2 and Cleveland in week 3.

Seattle vs Arizona ... I could see an argument for either defense based on the poor play of both offenses last year. Seattle will start a new QB and be missing Lynch. Arizona has a completely erratic offense.