FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Wed 07.23.2014, 00:46

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rookie Drafts
PostPosted: Mon 08.13.2012, 11:10 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 2062
Donate
ne.gif
I am in a dynasty league where we carry over 17 (not an IDP league) and was wondering if there was some discussion around here somewhere about what amounts to a rookie only draft.

Alternatively I'm happy to start one right here :D

Seems to me there are a handful of key guys highlighted by (in no particular order or position)

Luck
Richardson
RGIII
Martin
Blackmon
Fleener (reach?, but what other rookie TEs are there really?)

And of course a bunch of other RBs/WRs who should wind up contributing at some point, I leave them off this short list just to not bloat it too much. The other QBs don't seem to have much value to me, but even some of them should be considered as developmental players I suppose.

The point of a rookie draft in (this) dynasty league isn't necessarily to land immediate help for the coming season, but to set up the team for the next 5-10 years with absolute studs moving on.

Anyway, thoughts on this years rooks?

Post subject: Re: Rookie Drafts
PostPosted: Tue 08.14.2012, 12:06 
HammerHead Shark

Donate
ne.gif
One time bump... cuz I think this got posted down on the board while I was waiting to have my posts reviewed.

PostPosted: Tue 08.14.2012, 12:56 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 16454
Donate
Location: Griff is a Demi God. I know this because I am one also.
min.gif
The reason your getting no responses is your asking for Dyno draft boards from guys in the tank who play with guys in the tank. I doubt you get anyone doing anything but smoke screens and no replys

I guess since my drafts are over.... besides the top 5 Luck Martin T Rich RG Wilson.

I lead towards Pead,it looks like his stock took a hit getting KR duties but its still early. The Hillman love I don't understand. Its nothing but situational hype. I question Floyd. He holds the ultimate risk reward in the top 12. I would lean towards Jeffery. I hold he and Flyod as a 2a 2b I could see Jeffery racking up 700 yards and 8 tds this year. Tannehill should enter the top 12 as he looks to be the starting QB of the phins fairly soon. Kendal Wright is another guy I like before Floyd but not Jeffery. I abstain from drafting him because I own Britt already and don't think he has the markings of a WR 1. Wright could become a great slot WR but Tenn really doesn't use Slot WR's. Hill is another guy I would buy for 3 years down the road. i don't see him taking off but who I do eventually see taking off is Holmes to another team. Any new coach won't tolerate his mojo. NYJ will have a new coach fairly soon.

IDP Luke Kuechly is fantasy gold. He will be what Rolando McClain was not. Top 5 LB in the league.

So I got

1.1 Luck
1.2 Martin
1.3 T Rich
1.4 RG3
1.5 Wilson
1.6 Jeffery
1.7 Pead
1.8 Kuechly
1.9 Wright
1.10 Tannehill
1.11 Floyd
1.12 Hill

2. and beyond is a crap shoot with great value on LB's decent value on WR prospects like Quick, Brian STL WR
Randle, Rueben NYG WR
Sanu, Mohamed CIN WR
Jenkins, A.J. SFO WR
Gordon, Josh CLE WR
Fleener, Colby Ind TE

3. brings long shot RB hopes of:

Hillman, Ronnie DEN RB
Miller, Lamar MIA RB
James, LaMichael SFO RB
Pierce, Bernard BAL RB
Turbin, Robert SEA RB
Polk, Chris PHI RB
Rainey, Chris PIT RB
Ballard, Vick IND RB
Gray, Cyrus KCC RB

4th round and beyond draft what ever suits your fancy. You'll most likely cut them next year anyway unless you hit the Dynoball.

PostPosted: Tue 08.14.2012, 13:13 
HammerHead Shark

Donate
ne.gif
Thanks for the input. I was hoping there would be some others in dyno leagues interested in this, but if not, then oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained :D

Because my dyno league has a roster of 23 (cut to 19 after the 3rd week) with a spot reserved for stashing a rookie (he cannot be activated for your team, else you lose that roster spot) there is quite a bit of 'room' to hold some guys for a year or two before realizing their potential. So it's not so much looking for immediate contributions as it is looking to build or maintain a solid core moving on.

Of course our draft isn't limited to only rookies, any FAs are available, but clearly no one here is going to know that list, and nominally it's the rookies who are likely to be the most meaningful selections. Any rookie who was highly touted last season but went down with injury isn't available as someone has them stashed somewhere already ;)

I'm curious why you rank Martin ahead of Richardson though. Just based off of the teams themselves? Or do you believe that Martin is simply a superior back to Richardson? I'm not totally sold on Wilson either, but clearly you have to consider him, and no Blackmon? Am I missing something on him or did you miss him?

PostPosted: Tue 08.14.2012, 13:22 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
licker wrote:
Thanks for the input. I was hoping there would be some others in dyno leagues interested in this, but if not, then oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained :D

Because my dyno league has a roster of 23 (cut to 19 after the 3rd week) with a spot reserved for stashing a rookie (he cannot be activated for your team, else you lose that roster spot) there is quite a bit of 'room' to hold some guys for a year or two before realizing their potential. So it's not so much looking for immediate contributions as it is looking to build or maintain a solid core moving on.

Of course our draft isn't limited to only rookies, any FAs are available, but clearly no one here is going to know that list, and nominally it's the rookies who are likely to be the most meaningful selections. Any rookie who was highly touted last season but went down with injury isn't available as someone has them stashed somewhere already ;)

I'm curious why you rank Martin ahead of Richardson though. Just based off of the teams themselves? Or do you believe that Martin is simply a superior back to Richardson? I'm not totally sold on Wilson either, but clearly you have to consider him, and no Blackmon? Am I missing something on him or did you miss him?

Crap left out Blackmon 1.5 bump the rest. I lean towards Martin because rookies having surgery prospects have a very dark past. Not saying Martin has more tallent then T Rich but saying safer pick. The only reason I like Wilson. The only reason is Ahmad Bradshaw. He can't stay healthy. DJ Ware is terrible. they have nothing behind that in depth. the NYG are so pass happy its like owning a RB from the Packers. But in dyno starting RB's are hard to find so you nab them when you can.

PostPosted: Tue 08.14.2012, 13:26 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
viewforum.php?f=99

Here is the dyno teams post thread. There are some drafts in the tank and some leagues post there draft sites. Kinda gives you silent input.

PostPosted: Tue 08.14.2012, 13:51 
HammerHead Shark

Donate
ne.gif
Great, thanks.

Let me ask another question though, not so general.

It's a 10 team league and I'm sitting with:

1:02
1:04
2:04 (and so on at 4... not a snake draft)

I'm near 100% certain that they in 1:01 is taking Richardson, as he took Newton last year, and is unlikely to take Luck given his current stable of QBs.

So I nab Luck at 1:02 since my QB situation is Ryan and a poo-poo platter of junk (Kolb/Cassel/Locker).

Then if I'm lucky Martin goes to 1:04 and I get him, if not then I get whatever WR/RB looks best at that spot (we draft in 2 weeks so more preseason to see what happens).

Alternatively, I take Martin at 2 (or Richardson if 1:01 takes Martin or a WR), and am guaranteed of either Luck or RGIII at 4. My concern there is that I'm not super high on RGIII, but absolutely think Luck is a lock for studness over his career, yet the risk of not getting Martin at 1:04...

Then...

My WR situation is nice, Megatron, Julio, StevieJ, McCluster and Simpson (well those last 2 are mostly irrelevant, but I can replace them with whatever). My RB situation is ok if I get Martin, my TE situation is Vernon Davis.

No knock on Vernon, he's great I think, but I do need to be thinking about shoring up that spot, and am wondering if Fleener is worth the spot at 2:04 (assuming he's even there).

So I guess the question is, would you rather have Luck and Blackmon or Wilson or RGIII and Martin. Now... I'd rather have Luck and Martin, and that's not off the table, but it's not a given. RGIII and Martin is a given at worst.

PostPosted: Tue 08.14.2012, 14:38 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
min.gif
licker wrote:
Great, thanks.

Let me ask another question though, not so general.

It's a 10 team league and I'm sitting with:

1:02
1:04
2:04 (and so on at 4... not a snake draft)

I'm near 100% certain that they in 1:01 is taking Richardson, as he took Newton last year, and is unlikely to take Luck given his current stable of QBs.

So I nab Luck at 1:02 since my QB situation is Ryan and a poo-poo platter of junk (Kolb/Cassel/Locker).

Then if I'm lucky Martin goes to 1:04 and I get him, if not then I get whatever WR/RB looks best at that spot (we draft in 2 weeks so more preseason to see what happens).

Alternatively, I take Martin at 2 (or Richardson if 1:01 takes Martin or a WR), and am guaranteed of either Luck or RGIII at 4. My concern there is that I'm not super high on RGIII, but absolutely think Luck is a lock for studness over his career, yet the risk of not getting Martin at 1:04...

Then...

My WR situation is nice, Megatron, Julio, StevieJ, McCluster and Simpson (well those last 2 are mostly irrelevant, but I can replace them with whatever). My RB situation is ok if I get Martin, my TE situation is Vernon Davis.

No knock on Vernon, he's great I think, but I do need to be thinking about shoring up that spot, and am wondering if Fleener is worth the spot at 2:04 (assuming he's even there).

So I guess the question is, would you rather have Luck and Blackmon or Wilson or RGIII and Martin. Now... I'd rather have Luck and Martin, and that's not off the table, but it's not a given. RGIII and Martin is a given at worst.

My draft strategy. I would Draft 1.2 Martin / T Rich and leave the 2 QB's sitting there. Now he is in a quandary. If he needs a QB he has two sitting there. Now jump in and offer a 3.4 plus your 1.4 for his 1.3 and take Luck. If he doesn't bite and drafts Luck look at the 1.5 guy if he needs a QB and offer 1.4 3.4 and simpson for his 1.5 and 2.5. Some people have crazy love for RG and he might bite. Then draft Blackmon.

If you fear 1.5 would move up and take Blackmon. Ride out the picks. Talent fall off is huge if you don't take RG.

IMO your back up QB's are fine.

Simpson is complete garbage. He has shown nothing in camp to disway me otherwise. Plus he has a one year deal in minny and minny is the only reason he has value.

Fleener imo is garbage. Glorified blocker. also Tom Brady wants his hair back. That o line is so bad they need all the blocking help they can get. Colby Fleener come on down.

With a 10 team league 17 keeper there should be decent back up TE's to use each season. Unless your league awards TE's with crazy scoring i would worry out them.

If you take luck 1.2 he drafts martin. Then you get RG or blackmon.

If you can pick up Rudolph do so he will be amazing this year.

PostPosted: Tue 08.14.2012, 15:51 
HammerHead Shark

Donate
ne.gif
It's 19 keepers with a rookie stash spot...

Still there are TEs available, that's not the issue for a 1 week replacement. The issue is landing a quality starter who I can replace Vernon with in a couple seasons. Well, I don't have to do it this year, but I'm always looking there, since I missed out on the Grahm/Gronk/Hernandez bonanza.

I like the trade suggestions, unfortunately the guy in 1.3 is so damn prickly it's near impossible to get him to agree to anything where he isn't robbing you blind. I may just have to study up on RGIII and see if I can convince myself that he's going to have as much potential as Luck. It's a near given I think that 1.3 will take Luck or Martin if they are there, but I guess you never know.