FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Tue 07.29.2014, 09:45

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 08:08 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 4074
Donate
ne.gif
Here we are three days into Shark League drafts and it seems i have a different approach that i typically do in other drafts that allow trades post draft. I wanted to get some Sharks thoughts on building the best starting lineup vs. sacrificing for depth when a value pick drops to you.

Does 4 solid RB's really propel you to a super bowl when you sacrificed a top flight TE or WR2 to draft your second bench RB?

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 08:34 
Leopard Shark

Sand$: 353
Donate
pit.gif
I am no shark, but the lineup only allows 2 RB's to be started a week so having solid RB's 4 on your squad means you are probably sacrificing points at another position by passing on a WR / TE / QB. I personally aim for a stud RB in round 1 unless a value pick is there that can't be passed up and then just roll with what is available based off how I have players ranked. Since you can't trade stacking up on one position is only going to hurt you at other positions unless you hit a WW / sleeper goldmine in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 08:38 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 2748
Donate
phi.gif
It depends, but it could. I don't worry much about WRs after I have a couple because there are so many and we only start two. ANd I usually do better in FF when I take a TE late and use the earlier pick for someone else. Last year I took Finley because no one else grabbed me who was available and he finished as TE 9. I also have done well with RBs around round 8 who I've ended up using when earlier picks didn't produce or wee injured (Wells last year, Jackson the year before, I think) Bench players don't always stay bench players. :)
People have different FF styles. Some like to take early TEs, etc, but I have always been more of a value player. You can do well with any style. Best to use the style you're comfortable with!

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 08:50 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6673
Donate
ind.gif
4 seems extreme but in Shark leagues, a team with 2 fantastic RB's will win a lot of games. I drafted 1st last year and took Arian Foster. I took Darren Sproles early-ish and added Victor Cruz as a free agent. It wasn't the highest scoring team but it won. The 2 great RB's carried me for a bunch of misses in the draft and I just got lucky to get the WR-that-comes-out-of-nowhere-to-lead-the-league.

It would be a much better plan if shark leagues allowed trading. But still, the RB position is presumably set after 4 picks. That does allow a roster with 3 QB's, and 2 TE's, 5 WR's (and a defense and a kicker). The early picks make for a solid group which doesn't need sleepers or more depth.

There is always a WR-that-comes-out-of-nowhere-to-lead-the-league. There is not usually a comparable RB free agent.

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 08:53 
Mako Shark

Donate
ne.gif
glad wrote:
It depends, but it could. I don't worry much about WRs after I have a couple because there are so many and we only start two. ANd I usually do better in FF when I take a TE late and use the earlier pick for someone else. Last year I took Finley because no one else grabbed me who was available and he finished as TE 9. I also have done well with RBs around round 8 who I've ended up using when earlier picks didn't produce or wee injured (Wells last year, Jackson the year before, I think) Bench players don't always stay bench players. :)
People have different FF styles. Some like to take early TEs, etc, but I have always been more of a value player. You can do well with any style. Best to use the style you're comfortable with!

I understand what you are saying! I guess my question was more as the draft progresses do you fill your starting lineup first where your first 6 rds consist of 1 QB 2 RB 2 WR and 1 TE, or do you take a 3rd WR or 3rd RB before your QB or TE?

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 09:03 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 1806
Donate
was.gif
Draft a complete starting line up................ nuff said

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 09:06 
Mako Shark

Donate
ne.gif
general mills wrote:
Draft a complete starting line up................ nuff said

X2

I just see teams out of the gate drafting RB/RB/RB and i question whether they are killing themselves at other positions.

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 09:07 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 21198
Donate
ne.gif
I don't play in any Shark Leagues, but going that heavy at RB doesn't seem like a great idea unless you plan to trade 1 or 2 of them to upgrade at another position of weakness.

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 09:33 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 1806
Donate
was.gif
Jcb890 wrote:
I don't play in any Shark Leagues, but going that heavy at RB doesn't seem like a great idea unless you plan to trade 1 or 2 of them to upgrade at another position of weakness.

[-X no trading allowed in shark leagues

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 09:39 
Mako Shark

Donate
ne.gif
general mills wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:

Which was the essence of this thread.

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 09:42 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3611
Donate
gb.gif
WillieBeamen wrote:
glad wrote:

I understand what you are saying! I guess my question was more as the draft progresses do you fill your starting lineup first where your first 6 rds consist of 1 QB 2 RB 2 WR and 1 TE, or do you take a 3rd WR or 3rd RB before your QB or TE?

For me, always. If I don't have 3 quality options at RB/WR I get nervous.

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 09:51 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 21198
Donate
ne.gif
general mills wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:

Ah, I didn't know that. In that case, there's no way I stock up with 4 great RB's before securing other starting positions. It will weaken other positions too much, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 09:57 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3611
Donate
gb.gif
Jcb890 wrote:
general mills wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:

Ah, I didn't know that. In that case, there's no way I stock up with 4 great RB's before securing other starting positions. It will weaken other positions too much, IMO.

4? Maybe not. But with no trading you also better draft some quality depth since the WW is the only other option to restock for injury. And that's usually picked over pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 10:05 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 460
Donate
pit.gif
Prefer 3 solid RB's due to the volatile nature of the position. Snag a surefire WR1 and then gamble on a couple WR3/4's with huge upside to fill the other spot. This lets you choose to take an earlier round QB or TE, whichever you prefer.

PostPosted: Wed 08.15.2012, 10:06 
SandShark

Sand$: 170
Donate
WillieBeamen wrote:
Here we are three days into Shark League drafts and it seems i have a different approach that i typically do in other drafts that allow trades post draft. I wanted to get some Sharks thoughts on building the best starting lineup vs. sacrificing for depth when a value pick drops to you.

Does 4 solid RB's really propel you to a super bowl when you sacrificed a top flight TE or WR2 to draft your second bench RB?

I draft my starting line up FIRST.rb-rb-wr-wr-Qb-te .then backups and then def 1st and kk last 15 kks between 120pts and 130