FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sat 08.23.2014, 10:19

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 13:33 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 1089
Donate
nfllogo.gif
Every year I try to be as fair as possible to the team owners who can't show-up on draft day. However, this has always met with a sizable amount of complaining from the owners at the draft and the owners you draft for who are absent. So this year I have decided to print out the ADP from Fantasy Calculator and just draft the next player that is un-drafted. This usually works well for the owners who are absent, but the owners who are present complain about why should they get him is they aren't here?

Does anyone have an idea how to be fair to both owners present and absent from draft day events ?

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 13:34 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7679
Donate
jax.gif
If they can't follow along by phone or computer, I say time to find a new owner. Especially if its the same person every year.

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 13:38 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33762
Donate
car.gif
A list is fine, but it needs to come from the absent owner. Have him do his own rankings. And I'd say some type of gameplan: Round 1 RB, Round 2 WR, etc. if possible. Realistically it would be more like "by round 5 I want 2 RB, 1 QB, 2 WR" or such.

Take every bit of your influence out of it if possible.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 13:41 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 1155
Donate
gb.gif
My feeling has always been they should be required to find someone to attend the draft for them. Even if that person only goes off an ADP list at least no one can complain.

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 13:44 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1196
Donate
car.gif
And coming from the perspective of the owner I would hate the thought of other owners drafting my team. Happened 2 years ago in my work league to me, my co-workers gave me Favre and Deangelo at picks 2 and 3, oh and it was a PPC and PPR league, so they were definitely thinking in my best interest..Plus I found out the hard way when Peyton scored 90 points on me one week haha

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 13:45 

Sand$: 47449
Donate
nyj.gif
The preparation and draft is my favorite part of this entire fantasy football thing. Why join a league if you can't be there for the draft?

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 13:47 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7679
Donate
jax.gif
One year this guy sent his wife to draft for him. He was on fishing trip or something.

Half his roster ended up being players that were injured or just sucked.

We all kept straight faces when she looked in her FF mag and picked them at random.

Surprise surprise, he showed up the next yr.

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 13:49 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 458
Donate
nyg.gif
endzoneview wrote:
The preparation and draft is my favorite part of this entire fantasy football thing. Why join a league if you can't be there for the draft?

While beside the point, I agree with that, haha. I can't imagine adopting someone else's team (or an ADP team) for a year and caring about it.

My general rule has been simple -- if one person can't attend, they call-in. If more than one person can't attend, we do it online for everyone. The live draft is the best day of the year, but it's not worth compromising the league or interest of those in the league. The rule just gives added pressure for people to make the time, rather than get dogged by the rest of the league for messing it up for everyone.

WR:Calvin,Jones,T.Smith,Williams,Randle
TE:Witten

10teamppr
QB:Newton
RB:TRich,Forte,R.Bush,Woodhead,Blount
WR:Welker,Wayne,Gordon,Nicks,Shorts,Tompkins
TE:Fleener

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 13:50 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 1155
Donate
gb.gif
endzoneview wrote:

Life? I mean you pick a date for the draft and maybe somebody has something more pressing. I get that.

But that person should still be responsible enough to have somebody represent them. It shouldn't be up to his league mates or the commish.

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 13:54 

Sand$: 47449
Donate
nyj.gif
fishfry wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

Life? I mean you pick a date for the draft and maybe somebody has something more pressing. I get that.

But that person should still be responsible enough to have somebody represent them. It shouldn't be up to his league mates or the commish.

I get that. Sounds to me like that would be very rare and the OP is stating drafting for multiple absentee owners. I wouldn't even bother with it.

But to the point, I guess just picking up a random ADP sheet and making picks is the best solution.

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 13:54 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 27062
Donate
chi.gif
hankrip wrote:
One year this guy sent his wife to draft for him. He was on fishing trip or something.

Half his roster ended up being players that were injured or just sucked.

We all kept straight faces when she looked in her FF mag and picked them at random.

Surprise surprise, he showed up the next yr.

At least she didn't turn up pregnant.... did she?

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 14:01 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 10877
Donate
gb.gif
One option is to say you will be drafted based on ADP before the pre-season games (August 1st). With PUP players removed.

I think that's fair, because pre-season tends to affect things greatly. You can still get a decent team, but you might end up with Ryan Mathews at 1.06.

But yeah, I still think they should make the list. Whether it's just them printing out an ADP sheet from <insert favorite site>.

They should also write down a draft order they want you to take positions in (RB in 1st, QB in 2nd, etc...), so your judgment doesn't affect them. Maybe in separate envelopes if they're paranoid.

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 14:05 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 56651
Donate
min.gif
It's a game. Some people need to realize that not everyone is going to be around for a live draft. Just go down the ADP list and fill out their starting lineup first, then take the BPA to fill out the bench.

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 14:17 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 1089
Donate
nfllogo.gif
While I am usually a proponent of if you cant show you don't play, these two owners are long-time league members with legit reasons for being absent. In the past our league penalized players in different ways, drafting a kicker in the first, missing a round, or drafting last. This year I am actually more concerned about the people at the draft complaining about picking from an ADP list because they wanted the player and someone who was not there got him.

PostPosted: Fri 08.17.2012, 14:18 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6892
Donate
Use some other ADP list if you're gonna do that, the FFCalculator list is too accurate. However, if that person finds that list himself and says use it, then that would be fine I suppose. He needs to provide his own list, and preferably have someone there to draft for him.