FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Tue 09.02.2014, 09:10

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Eagles backup QB?
PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 09:12 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1866
Donate
dal.gif
Who will be the Eagles backup QB this season?

Post subject: Re: Eagles backup QB?
PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 09:22 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 32878
Donate
mia.gif
Kafka.

PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 09:23 
Mako Shark

Donate
dal.gif
Elmagister wrote:
Kafka.

You sure its not Foles or Edwards? Kafka broke his hand and is out another 2 weeks...

PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 09:28 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 29856
Donate
dal.gif
Right now Kafka, but Foles is doing everything he can to be #2. We should know slightly more Monday night.

PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 09:30 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
mia.gif
I don't think Reid will want to depend on a rookie, if Vick goes down. I don't think Edwards makes the roster.

PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 10:43 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 2000
Donate
phi.gif
By the end of the preseason, I'd wager 70-30 it will be Foles and NOT Kafka. But a lot of that rides on tomorrow night's preseason game. Once Vick goes out, Foles will be QB the entire remainder. This leads me to believe Trent Edwards either won't make the team or will be relegated the to practice squad (but I imagine another team will offer him a contract as a backup).

PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 10:46 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
mia.gif
FantasyTom wrote:
By the end of the preseason, I'd wager 70-30 it will be Foles and NOT Kafka. But a lot of that rides on tomorrow night's preseason game. Once Vick goes out, Foles will be QB the entire remainder. This leads me to believe Trent Edwards either won't make the team or will be relegated the to practice squad (but I imagine another team will offer him a contract as a backup).

Edwards isn't eligible for practice squad.

Are you saying that if Vick goes down, Foles takes his job?

PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 11:37 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
phi.gif
Elmagister wrote:
FantasyTom wrote:

Ah ok, was just making an assumption there. As far as Foles, it is highly contingent on what he shows tomorrow night. If positive, yes I do believe he backs Vick up. I do not think they trust Kafka. I think it was indicative when they drafted a QB and brought in the vet. Kafka is a bad version of Kolb and I think that says it all.

PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 11:41 
Mako Shark

Donate
dal.gif
FantasyTom wrote:
Elmagister wrote:
FantasyTom wrote:

Ah ok, was just making an assumption there. As far as Foles, it is highly contingent on what he shows tomorrow night. If positive, yes I do believe he backs Vick up. I do not think they trust Kafka. I think it was indicative when they drafted a QB and brought in the vet. Kafka is a bad version of Kolb and I think that says it all.

So if Vick gets injured during the season, you believe that Andy Ried would go with a rookie QB?

PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 11:42 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
phi.gif
FantasyTom wrote:
Elmagister wrote:
FantasyTom wrote:

I should add some color, that if Kafka did not get hurt...they would have rolled with him as the backup by default. Foles getting the opportunity to shine was a blessing in disguise that they are and should take advantage of....which is also why I think they are giving Foles the remainder of the game after Vick goes out. They want to see a little more before making that commitment.

PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 12:11 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
phi.gif
Let's just assume Edwards is gone. Then we're comparing Foles and Kafka. What's the difference? Kafka has 2 years experience. With 1 year under his belt, Kafka saw a few limited opportunities last year and fumbled it big time. If the Eagles weren't concerned, bringing in Edwards as the 3rd QB would have been fine. If they were confident in Kafka, 2 vets would have been brought in. If not confident and acknowledging Vick is fragile/older, drafting a QB with an eye to the future would be the case.

From local coverage: Foles is the wild card in the bunch. He is a rangy 6-foot-6 and can throw the ball out of the stadium. If Vick were to get hurt - and if Foles were reliable enough to run the offense, a big if for a rookie - it would be Foles who could actually keep the Eagles playing the same kind of football. He can't run like Vick, but he can make a defense respect DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin.
--> And I think that big if, again, revolves around the opportunity he had last game and tomorrow night...an opportunity otherwise not anticipated to some degree.

Another source: If he continues to play well, it is possible, if not probable, that the rookie could open the season as the team's No. 2 quarterback behind Mike Vick.

-From Mornhinweg: "I have felt very comfortable with him when he knows exactly what he's doing in a particular play. I think he's executed at a high level.....His challenge is the whole offense and getting all those reps, because it appears he's quite a natural player."
--> Which he is now getting the chance at; much more so because of Kafka's injury

Random fact: In the last 51 years, the Eagles had taken only seven QBs among the first 100 picks in a draft (before Foles).

PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 14:30 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18327
Donate
sd.gif
If Vick missed time, I'd assume they just throw I Kafka and have him handoff every play

PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 14:34 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 2084
Donate
dal.gif
TheChamp wrote:
If Vick missed time, I'd assume they just throw I Kafka and have him handoff every play

But by using the same logic, wouldn't they just let Foles do the same. With the added bonus of his vertical abilities?

PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 14:36 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 2236
Donate
ne.gif
Is anyone seriously going to draft either Foles or Kafka?

It may be an interesting question, and a relevant one as most expect Vick to get dinged up at some point, but...

More of an issue for which guy you grab off waivers after that point isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun 08.19.2012, 14:38 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18327
Donate
sd.gif
The Masked Marauder wrote:
TheChamp wrote:

But by using the same logic, wouldn't they just let Foles do the same. With the added bonus of his vertical abilities?

No, my point is they'd play it conservative. Vertical abilities is not what they need if Vick misses a game or two. Good D, good run game.

And regardless of which one starts, they won't warrant consideration even in a 2qb league