FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 04.24.2014, 05:36

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 06:59 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1850
Donate
atl.gif
So you've decided that you will not be taking Rodgers, Brady or Brees in the first two rounds... and instead, want to focus on skill positions early. My thoughts exactly! With the NFL becoming a "passing league" and the QB position considerably deep this year, the chance of a young upstart QB becoming a significant force is pretty high. Hit on one of these guys, with a loaded WR and RB corp, and you're a contender. Just ask Cam Newton owners from last season. So here are three young QB's that are in line to have a big season and that you can take in the last few rounds of your drafts.

Jake Locker - The Titan's have made the switch for good... Locker is their QB of the future. Locker didn't get much playing time in 2011, but when he started he played well... passing for four touchdowns with no interceptions and rushing for 56 yards on eight carries with a touchdown run in four games. Not bad. The kid can play given the chance. Couple that with no Britt, an off track CJ2K and an unsettled team all together - players, coaches and owners. An obvious rebuilding year. 2012 is different and a lot has changed in Tennessee - CJ2K is back and focused, new coach, new QB, the team is focused and flying under the radar. Britt will face a suspension for a July DUI, but he should only miss a handfull of games. When healthy and focused, Britt is a stud. We all know what Johnson can do. The 6'5" Jared Cook will get a ton of targets from Locker this year. I like Locker a lot this year... having a RB like Johnson is a luxury, who will no doubt take some dump off passes to the house. Cook is a solid safety valve and a sleeper in his own this season. Britt, when active, will be icing on the cake.

Alex Smith - Most fantasy owners think they know Alex Smith and the 49ers... and most of those are ignoring the fact that he posted career stats under Jim Harbaugh last season. Do not sleep on this guy! The 49ers are loaded with talent and battle proven players. Smith didn't throw for 300yards or more at all last season. Which is a evidence of the 49ers "grind it with Gore" game plan that's been in place for years. Well Harbaugh, an ex QB, made all of the moves during the offseason to change that philosophy... adding both RB's and WR's to the mix. In one off season, the 49ers offensive depth chart went from resembling the "run first" Ravens to resembling the "air it out" Patriots. We've never seen these 49ers before. We're starting Smith's 8th year in the pros, career bests last season, retooled offense, QB-Coach and a string of weak defenses at the end of the season (leading into fantasy playoffs)... this guy could very well be the steal of the 2012 fantasy draft.

Andy Dalton - AKA, the Red Rifle. I freaking love this guy. Sporting a cannon arm and good accuracy... Dalton can make all of the throws, and AJ Green can catch'em. I feel like Dalton and Green will continue to improve this season... so do a lot of folks, because Green's ADP is on the rise. In addition, the 6'5" 260lb super athletic Gresham is slated to be a major weapon in Cinci. Two things that stand out to me about Dalton is his confidence level and fearlessness in the face of pass rushers. He doesn't let the defense get into his head, which is rare for a rookie. The guy is a natural. The only knock on Dalton for 2012 is the Bengals' schedule... which shouldn't be a major factor on whether to draft him or not. Dalton had 6 games with multiple TD's last season, 13 with at least 1 TD and only 3 without a score. That is very consistent for a rookie, and in fantasy, consistency is huge. A bump in production (as expected) would elevate Dalton into #1 QB territory.

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 07:04 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 788
Donate
and dont sleep on RGIII (if that's possible).

i know he's been all hyped, but it seems to have swung back to "oh he'll be good... in 2-3 years" just because everyone assumes lightning wont strike twice and a rookie QB wont do what Cam did. RGIII doesn't need to match Cam and break records... and the Redskins could suck and go 6-10, and RGIII could still be a great fantasy player this year.

and he's likely available in the later rounds where the above guys are going.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=305803&p=4223040#p4223040

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 07:15 
Mako Shark

Donate
atl.gif
whiskeytown wrote:
and dont sleep on RGIII (if that's possible).

i know he's been all hyped, but it seems to have swung back to "oh he'll be good... in 2-3 years" just because everyone assumes lightning wont strike twice and a rookie QB wont do what Cam did. RGIII doesn't need to match Cam and break records... and the Redskins could suck and go 6-10, and RGIII could still be a great fantasy player this year.

and he's likely available in the later rounds where the above guys are going.

I like RGlll... he's got all of the tools to get it done. But in every draft I've done there's always someone willing to take him in the 7-10 rounds. He strikes me as the guy who will have 5 or 6 huge games mixed in with not so good games. I truely think all three QB's mentioned above will out prefore RGlll in 2012 and can be had with a later round pick. The hype surrounding him is too much.

I actually think Luck will out preform RGlll this year, but Im bias, I do not like Shanahangins at all so I down grade all Redskins every year haha.

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 07:18 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 44776
Donate
chi.gif
Cutler.

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 07:31 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13019
Donate
vonbearsalot wrote:
Cutler.

How about a non-homer pick?

I don't see Locker making the leap into QB1 territory in his first year as a starter.

Alex Smith. Alex Smith?

Andy Dalton. I hope you're right as he is my backup in two (and possibly three) of my three leagues.

My vote goes to Luck.

Cutler, Ben
Forte, AndreB, Vereen, Trent, Starks
Andre, VJax, Torrey, Cooper, Cordy, Terrance
Martellus, Wright
CIN

Lost to INJ/dope/Shanny: Cobb-Wayne-MJames/Blackmon/RGIII

10-4, 1 seed,

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 07:37 
Leopard Shark

Sand$: 311
Donate
nyg.gif
I don't like Locker or Smith. I'd rather draft Luck, RG3, Dalton, Cutler, Schaub...

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 07:44 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 20958
Donate
sf.gif
Bradford looks solid this year and healthy. I have him and luck for back ups. And Luck is going to be special...once he gets some weapons he will be a low end #1 imo..

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 07:44 
Mako Shark

Donate
atl.gif
Right... but my point being "near last round picks"

RGlll and Luck are being drafted before the 10th round. So is Cutler and Schaub.

Dalton is going just after the 10th round and Locker/Smith can be taken as a last rounders... making for incredible value.

I wonder how many comments it will take before people start talking about Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan and Philip Rivers?

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 07:47 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
chi.gif
TheNataliePortmans wrote:
vonbearsalot wrote:
Cutler.

I don't see Locker making the leap into QB1 territory in his first year as a starter.

Alex Smith. Alex Smith?

Andy Dalton. I hope you're right as he is my backup in two (and possibly three) of my three leagues.

My vote goes to Luck.

Why? He's the best option out there.

I actually like Locker. If CJ is back to his old self, a simple dump-off can become 50+ yards and a TD. And Locker can move, too, if he needs to. Not that he's a Vick or anything, but you'll get some bonus yardage and TDs that way. If Britt is healthy and eligible, Locker has a great young WR crew to work with.

Granted, I primarily play dynasty, so my ratings are a bit skewed towards prospective talent than immediate payoff, and sometimes it's hard for me to adjust off of that.

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 07:49 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 788
Donate
Hi6hLyTe wrote:

RGlll and Luck are being drafted before the 10th round. So is Cutler and Schaub.

Dalton is going just after the 10th round and Locker/Smith can be taken as a last rounders... making for incredible value.

I wonder how many comments it will take before people start talking about Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan and Philip Rivers?

you said "late round." i drafted RGIII in the middle of the 10th.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=305803&p=4223040#p4223040

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 07:52 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
Hi6hLyTe wrote:

Then you need to better define your terms.

How many rounds are in your draft?

Locker is the only guy you mention who is not being drafted as a QB2 (12-team leagues; if you're still playing in 10-teamers, time to step up your game).

Dalton is 18, Smith is 22, Locker is 27.

So I'll throw in Ponder as a candidate (29)

Cutler, Ben
Martellus, Wright
CIN

10-4, 1 seed,

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 07:54 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33461
Donate
car.gif
True late round (12th+) wouldn't include most of the guys listed here but would be more of the Locker, Flynn, Smith, Ponder, Tanneyhill and Cassel. I've seen Sanchez and Bradford falling late also.

Of all of those I'd take a gamble on Ponder and Locker.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a beetch.

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 08:00 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
chi.gif
I'm hoping Bradford finally turns the corner this year. I think he'll get better as the year goes on. They can lean on the run game (although Pead has looked pretty bad so far in preseason action) while his WRs develop. He looked really good as a rookie and I'm hoping it was more his ankle and WR situation that held him back as a sophomore.

He has incredible accuracy, but enough arm strength to keep defenses honest. In my book that's pretty much the recipe for a successful quarterback, so long as he stays healthy and has a modicum of talent around him.

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 08:00 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
vonbearsalot wrote:
vonbearsalot wrote:
Cutler.

Alex Smith. Alex Smith?

My vote goes to Luck.

Why? He's the best option out there.

I actually like Locker. If CJ is back to his old self, a simple dump-off can become 50+ yards and a TD. And Locker can move, too, if he needs to. Not that he's a Vick or anything, but you'll get some bonus yardage and TDs that way. If Britt is healthy and eligible, Locker has a great young WR crew to work with.

Granted, I primarily play dynasty, so my ratings are a bit skewed towards prospective talent than immediate payoff, and sometimes it's hard for me to adjust off of that.

Just busting your chops.

I'm a Bears fan, too, and I hope you're right about Cutler this year.

Cutler, Ben
Martellus, Wright
CIN

10-4, 1 seed,

PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 08:13 
Mako Shark

Donate
atl.gif
Hi6hLyTe wrote:

Then you need to better define your terms.

"last few rounds of your drafts"

Sorry that this wasn't clear enough for you