FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Wed 04.23.2014, 22:44

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Are the Nationals doing the right thing by sitting Strasburg?
Yes 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
No 69%  69%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Stephen Strasburg
PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 10:02 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 2268
Donate
was.gif
Curious as to what the tank thinks about this whole situation of the Nationals shutting him down.

There has been a lot on the radio around here. Rob Dibble just made comments on his radio show recently about the situation
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc- ... _blog.html

So then the Lavar Arrington and Chad Dukes had Dibble on their show and he got really defensive.
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/08/ ... interview/

Post subject: Re: Stephen Strasburg
PostPosted: Tue 08.21.2012, 21:51 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 39072
Donate
pit.gif
Im not going into a long tirade, but no.

PostPosted: Wed 08.22.2012, 19:00 
Tiger Shark

Sand$: 1140
Donate
pit.gif
The Nationals HAVE THE BEST RECORD IN THE MLB! If you have a starter that can give you a guaranteed win every time he starts, YOU DON'T SHUT HIM DOWN! This could be the best year the Nationals have at even getting to the World Series. DON'T BLOW IT!

PostPosted: Wed 08.22.2012, 20:46 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 278588
Donate
den.gif
I wouldnt do it, no friggen way!

You never know why at the future holds, so take your shots when you have them!

PostPosted: Thu 08.23.2012, 07:38 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 39072
Donate
pit.gif
still no.

PostPosted: Thu 08.23.2012, 09:56 
Chum

Sand$: 38
Donate
I say no.

Quote:
Johnson revealed today that he expects Strasburg to most likely miss two starts at the end of the season, as well as the entirety of the playoffs.

In my opinion, when you are in their position, you go for it. Look at the Phillies last year compared to this year. You never know what injuries or drops in production that might hit the team in the future.

Although Rizzo has come out and basically said that he will make the call as to when it is time to shut him down and not necessarily Johnson. I might agree with them having him skip a start or two (depending on what their lead is) but I do NOT agree with them shutting him down for his last couple of starts (if they do intend on using him in the playoffs) and if they don't plan on using him in the playoffs I don't even know what to say about Rizzo and Johnson. If he is going to be used in the playoffs, but they decide he must miss 2-3 starts I would rather they skip one, have him pitch one, skip one, etc. I don't think you want to give him a 2+ week layoff before his first playoff games ever.

PostPosted: Thu 08.23.2012, 10:51 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37322
Donate
chi.gif
Rizzo believes he's acting in the best interest of the franchise.
I'm fine with that.

The fun part of this will be when Strasburg gets shut down and the national media (instead of just the Nationals' media) "discovers" that another Ace has stepped up to take SS's place, ignoring that Zimmermann has been excellent all season and would have a legitimate Cy Young case himself if not for a low win total

PostPosted: Sat 09.15.2012, 17:17 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 278588
Donate
den.gif
I know I'm late, but haven't been I her in a while.

Anyway, I think they are absolutely crazy!

PostPosted: Thu 09.20.2012, 13:39 
Leopard Shark

Sand$: 250
Donate
hard 10 wrote:
I'm fine with that.

The fun part of this will be when Strasburg gets shut down and the national media (instead of just the Nationals' media) "discovers" that another Ace has stepped up to take SS's place, ignoring that Zimmermann has been excellent all season and would have a legitimate Cy Young case himself if not for a low win total

This is it.

People think he's their ace (because they are drones to the media). He's not. Gio Gonzalez is. Then you have Zimmerman and Detwiler who have essentially matched Strasburg's production. So really, what's the point in playing him for a potentially career ending injury? You don't need 4 starters in the playoffs anyways. Yeah, Stras would be the "sexier" guy to throw on the mound in a game 7, but realistically Gonzo is a better option. The D-backs won the world series in 2001 alternating between two guys; I'm sure the Nats can compete just fine alternating with 3 (and if you wanna throw Edwin Jackson's name into the pile, sure, just another top 25 pitcher they have who they can have the privilege of using as a relief/spot starter). Their rotation is disgusting, and IMO even better than the monstrocity that the Phillies had last year which I didn't think was actually possible. They won't miss Stras.

PostPosted: Tue 10.02.2012, 09:30 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 2268
Donate
was.gif
NCAAguru wrote:
hard 10 wrote:
I'm fine with that.

This is it.

People think he's their ace (because they are drones to the media). He's not. Gio Gonzalez is. Then you have Zimmerman and Detwiler who have essentially matched Strasburg's production. So really, what's the point in playing him for a potentially career ending injury? You don't need 4 starters in the playoffs anyways. Yeah, Stras would be the "sexier" guy to throw on the mound in a game 7, but realistically Gonzo is a better option. The D-backs won the world series in 2001 alternating between two guys; I'm sure the Nats can compete just fine alternating with 3 (and if you wanna throw Edwin Jackson's name into the pile, sure, just another top 25 pitcher they have who they can have the privilege of using as a relief/spot starter). Their rotation is disgusting, and IMO even better than the monstrocity that the Phillies had last year which I didn't think was actually possible. They won't miss Stras.

I agree with this. They did this with Zimmerman last year and look how well he has pitched this year. Plus they are hoping Lannan can carry over from the minors and help out with the rotation. I won't pretend I am Baseball guru but think they will be ok. If anything hurts them it will be their hitting.

:party-smiley-050: NL EAST CHAMPIONS!!

PostPosted: Sat 10.06.2012, 10:36 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 16708
Donate
atl.gif
The Nats don't even have the best rotation in the NL, maybe 1/2 punch but top to bottom the Reds have the best rotation. Over hyping Jackson and Detwiler a bit eh?

PostPosted: Sat 10.06.2012, 22:37 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 174352
Donate
dal.gif
ATL Souljah Boy wrote:
The Nats don't even have the best rotation in the NL, maybe 1/2 punch but top to bottom the Reds have the best rotation. Over hyping Jackson and Detwiler a bit eh?

sorry. 1/2/3. stras/gio/zimm is remarkable.

cueto/latos/arroyo/bailey is not in the same ballpark.

PostPosted: Sun 10.07.2012, 00:31 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 16708
Donate
atl.gif
marty1841 wrote:
ATL Souljah Boy wrote:

We're not talking about Stras, he isn't in the rotation. Doubt the Reds all you want, I'm not the only one saying they have the best rotation depth wise in the playoffs. Hell we didn't even need our ace tonight. Left with back spasms after 8 pitches. WIN!

PostPosted: Sun 10.07.2012, 06:59 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 174352
Donate
dal.gif
ATL Souljah Boy wrote:
marty1841 wrote:
ATL Souljah Boy wrote:

We're not talking about Stras, he isn't in the rotation. Doubt the Reds all you want, I'm not the only one saying they have the best rotation depth wise in the playoffs. Hell we didn't even need our ace tonight. Left with back spasms after 8 pitches. WIN!

And they had to use their #2 in relief of him. Back spasms are not going away in a short series. They had better hope they clinch early so he can rest it.

I never said i doubted the reds. I actually have them winning the NL pennant (falling to Detroit). I simply said that they don't have the best rotation in the NL. Your stipulation of not having Stras wasn't mentioned. If that's the case, I still take Washington, and San Francisco, over the Reds.