FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 04.17.2014, 22:00

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat 08.25.2012, 17:20 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1074
Donate
car.gif
Well just finished my $$ draft with all my friends (it's a live draft where we grill out and drink which is always fun, we all still take it serious though since the buy-in is 200 a person, 12 teams) and I was wondering what the tank thought about starting both Gronk and Hernanadez as well as some thoughts on the team I ended up with this year. This is the draft I look forward to the most and I used as much insight from the tank as I could to help my picks.

12-team Non-ppr Espn standard (4pt pass TD, 6 rush/receiving, we can start TE at flex)

7th overall pick

QB: Rivers, Luck
RB-T-Rich, Donald Brown, Pierre Thomas, Jacquizz, Pead, Leshoure
WR-MEGATRON, Jordy, Wayne, Quick
TE-Gronk
Flex-Hernandez

Again, just wondering how the tank thought I came out (appreciate all the help and sources on this site) and if it would be viable this year to start both Gronk and Hernandez

PostPosted: Sat 08.25.2012, 17:23 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 30899
Donate
mia.gif
It's viable with that team...you're very thin at RB though.

PostPosted: Sat 08.25.2012, 17:24 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 20975
Donate
cle.gif
That Wayne vs TE in the flex choice each week may feel like heartburn but it's not a horrible problem to have.

PostPosted: Sat 08.25.2012, 17:35 
Chum

Sand$: 26
Donate
det.gif
Guessing you opened WR-TE-WR. I have no issue with Megatron at #7, but wouold have looked for QB or RB at #18 and passed on Gronk (especially because you were able to get Hernandez as a much better value). Your RB's may be great next year but don't provide much upside this year. Hernandez vs Wayne in the flex spot. You should probably look for an opportunity to use a TE for trade bait on a stud RB or QB who starts slow.

PostPosted: Sat 08.25.2012, 18:01 
Blue Shark

Donate
car.gif
Jhenne wrote:
Guessing you opened WR-TE-WR. I have no issue with Megatron at #7, but wouold have looked for QB or RB at #18 and passed on Gronk (especially because you were able to get Hernandez as a much better value). Your RB's may be great next year but don't provide much upside this year. Hernandez vs Wayne in the flex spot. You should probably look for an opportunity to use a TE for trade bait on a stud RB or QB who starts slow.

Yea I definitely like the thought of trading one to upgrade at RB. I admit, my RB core really sucks, but thats what I get for the 7th slot in my league which drools over RB's. I understand the importance of grabbing them early this year, but Megatron is just my favorite. Had to take him. I got Gronk at 18 and actually got Trent at 31, followed by Jordy at 42. Know it probably wasn't smart to go reciever at my 4th, but it was him or Beanie and well...you get the rest. I know it might be a year early, but I really like Brown, and not sure how it'll pan out having Luck and Wayne too, but I'll at least have somewhat of a lockdown on that offense. And as far as Hernandez, I could of maybe grabbed a RB there too, but it was him or Kevin Smith...just wanted to make sure I grabbed whichever TE Tom likes this year, hope it pans out.

PostPosted: Sat 08.25.2012, 18:53 
SandShark

Sand$: 182
Donate
ind.gif
use one of the NE Te's as trade bait....Send gronk packing and grab doug martin and a Wr as well....i believe hernandez will outperform gronk this year

QB-Luck,Dalton
WR-VJax, Garcon, Decker,Cruz, Pettis
RB- D martin,Forte,BJGE,Tate
TE-Gronk,Fleener
K-Vinatieri
DEF-streaming

PostPosted: Sat 08.25.2012, 18:57 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 4404
Donate
pit.gif
Dutchmaster17 wrote:
Jhenne wrote:

Yea I definitely like the thought of trading one to upgrade at RB. I admit, my RB core really sucks, but thats what I get for the 7th slot in my league which drools over RB's. I understand the importance of grabbing them early this year, but Megatron is just my favorite. Had to take him. I got Gronk at 18 and actually got Trent at 31, followed by Jordy at 42. Know it probably wasn't smart to go reciever at my 4th, but it was him or Beanie and well...you get the rest. I know it might be a year early, but I really like Brown, and not sure how it'll pan out having Luck and Wayne too, but I'll at least have somewhat of a lockdown on that offense. And as far as Hernandez, I could of maybe grabbed a RB there too, but it was him or Kevin Smith...just wanted to make sure I grabbed whichever TE Tom likes this year, hope it pans out.

That's where the problem lies. No one's going to trade a true value RB 1 or 2 for hernandez. Even a viable flex would not go for hernandez just because he doesn't score as many points as a viable flex. I personally also don't think Gronk would get you a top 12 RB, maybe not even top 15. Then your team would be really bad after that trade. I really don't think it's your top 4 picks that did you in, it's the 5-10 picks. This has been posted in another thread about starting 2 TE, if you are starting a TE in your flex spot, something really wrong happened in your draft and you should check to see if you still have your wallet. I'm not sure in your team who you picked in rd 5-7.

PostPosted: Sat 08.25.2012, 20:41 
Blue Shark

Donate
car.gif
db45655 wrote:
Dutchmaster17 wrote:
Jhenne wrote:

That's where the problem lies. No one's going to trade a true value RB 1 or 2 for hernandez. Even a viable flex would not go for hernandez just because he doesn't score as many points as a viable flex. I personally also don't think Gronk would get you a top 12 RB, maybe not even top 15. Then your team would be really bad after that trade. I really don't think it's your top 4 picks that did you in, it's the 5-10 picks. This has been posted in another thread about starting 2 TE, if you are starting a TE in your flex spot, something really wrong happened in your draft and you should check to see if you still have your wallet. I'm not sure in your team who you picked in rd 5-7.

Thanks for the positive re-enforcement. How about you try drafting 7th in a league like mine and see how it goes. And it's not that I'd start a TE at my flex for sure, I still have Wayne or Pierre Thomas, I was just asking if it would be viable or not to start one there if I had both like I do in my situation.

-Oh and after winning 700 last year I think my wallets fine.

PostPosted: Sun 08.26.2012, 02:30 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 4404
Donate
pit.gif
Dutchmaster17 wrote:
db45655 wrote:
Dutchmaster17 wrote:
Jhenne wrote:

Thanks for the positive re-enforcement. How about you try drafting 7th in a league like mine and see how it goes. And it's not that I'd start a TE at my flex for sure, I still have Wayne or Pierre Thomas, I was just asking if it would be viable or not to start one there if I had both like I do in my situation.

I'm sure your league is real tough. And it is just so tough to draft form spot #7. But you've got to get over yourself. You drafted 2 TEs from the same team. Both can be productive, but there will be games when they aren't. Placing all your eggs in one basket is never a good idea. On top of that, drafting from spot 7 doesn't mean you have Donald Brown as a RB2. With the word out the Richardson may not get a full workload till week 3 or later are you still going to trust him as your RB1. I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings but you drafted poorly no matter where you drafted. If you know your league loves running backs but will let Jordy go till pick 42, draft rbs earlier. Especially in non ppr. You can start Hernandez in the flex. It looks like you have to. But if you haven't noticed, not a single post said, "Gee. What a great idea." They all look and your lineup and think how can I fix this.

-Oh and 700 is a hellovu a payout for 12th place. What's the winner get.

PostPosted: Sun 08.26.2012, 08:36 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33299
Donate
car.gif
Dutchmaster17 wrote:
db45655 wrote:
Dutchmaster17 wrote:
Jhenne wrote:

1.) Wrong Forum, although sneakily posted

2.) No one cares how much you won, unless you're going to share

3.) Accept criticism since you asked for it. Sometimes it's right, sometimes it's wrong. I'd deal Gronkowski myself and there will be someone who wants him for a nice price.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a beetch.

PostPosted: Sun 08.26.2012, 10:01 
Blue Shark

Donate
car.gif
pwbowen wrote:
Dutchmaster17 wrote:
db45655 wrote:
Dutchmaster17 wrote:
Jhenne wrote:

1.) Wrong Forum, although sneakily posted

2.) No one cares how much you won, unless you're going to share

3.) Accept criticism since you asked for it. Sometimes it's right, sometimes it's wrong. I'd deal Gronkowski myself and there will be someone who wants him for a nice price.

Sorry wasn't trying to be rude or troll at all, know i shouldnt of over reacted. Thanks for the idea of trading Gronk, I definitely think that's my best option at this point. And about drafting RB's at my pick, I definitely didn't want to roll with Trent and Brown as my 1 and 2, but when at my 2nd at 18 I had to choose between Gronk or a RB like Turner or Gore? Trent was the only workhorse back left at my 3rd and yea I took Jordy at 42 because I like him more than Benjarvus and Ridley, the top backs at that pick.

I don't really see how I "put all my eggs in one basket" though since I have 2 TE from the same team, in my defense, The Pat's are the only team I'd ever even conceive drafting both TE's. And even then it's just two players. It's not like I went Tom, Gronk, welker, Hernandez and Lloyd.

Appreciate the insight, sorry again, wasn't trying to start trouble or boast about a previous year.

PostPosted: Sun 08.26.2012, 15:43 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13019
Donate
The problem with planning to use a TE at FLEX (even if you drafted Jimmy and Gronk) is that it limits your options.

Doesn't it make more sense to draft a bunch of RBs and WRs and have one of more of them emerge as a FLEX-worthy option?

Plus, using two of your first five picks on TEs is not a good idea.

Cutler, Ben
Forte, AndreB, Vereen, Trent, Starks
Andre, VJax, Torrey, Cooper, Cordy, Terrance
Martellus, Wright
CIN

Lost to INJ/dope/Shanny: Cobb-Wayne-MJames/Blackmon/RGIII

10-4, 1 seed,

PostPosted: Sun 08.26.2012, 15:46 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 16696
Donate
atl.gif
Elmagister wrote:
It's viable with that team...you're very thin at RB though.

Understatement of the year my god

PostPosted: Sun 08.26.2012, 17:51 
Blue Shark

Donate
car.gif
TheNataliePortmans wrote:
The problem with planning to use a TE at FLEX (even if you drafted Jimmy and Gronk) is that it limits your options.

Doesn't it make more sense to draft a bunch of RBs and WRs and have one of more of them emerge as a FLEX-worthy option?

Well I took Hernandez at my 7th actually. I know, I still hate that I grabbed 2, but I was shocked he fell there. Prior to the draft I thought of him almost as the 3rd best TE. At least I already have the Gronk owner from last year requesting a trade which helps.

PostPosted: Sun 08.26.2012, 17:54 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13019
Donate
Dutchmaster17 wrote:
TheNataliePortmans wrote:

Well I took Hernandez at my 7th actually. I know, I still hate that I grabbed 2, but I was shocked he fell there. Prior to the draft I thought of him almost as the 3rd best TE. At least I already have the Gronk owner from last year requesting a trade which helps.

Wow. That is great value in the 7th.

If I were you, I'd try to move Gronk for a #1 RB.

Cutler, Ben
Forte, AndreB, Vereen, Trent, Starks
Andre, VJax, Torrey, Cooper, Cordy, Terrance
Martellus, Wright
CIN

Lost to INJ/dope/Shanny: Cobb-Wayne-MJames/Blackmon/RGIII

10-4, 1 seed,