FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Mon 07.28.2014, 09:24

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Injured Reserve
PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 02:25 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 2652
Donate
no.gif
I have been in a league for 20 years now; and the one thing I hate is that there is no IR.

I think that if you spend a first or second round pick on a guy and he gets hurt early in the year and let's say he is out for 8 weeks, you should not have to be forced to cut him or waste room on your bench.

Fantasy football is supposed to be as real as the pros; but it can get complicated with what actually constitutes IR (ie questionable, doubtful, or out).

Has anyone had experience with this and how did you do it? What is an easy and fair way that I can bring this up at the draft next year?

Post subject: Re: Injured Reserve
PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 03:43 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7879
Donate
den.gif
To me, IR is IR. Done for the year. I'm in 2 keeper leagues this year and I'm trying to get both commissioners to add an IR spot.

Here's and example. In our league, you can keep a player you drafted after the 3rd round. So say I draft Andrew Luck in the 9th. For the first 8 weeks of the year, he's on fire. Rookie MVP candidate. In week 9 he breaks his leg and is out for the year. If we had an IR spot, I could place him there without dropping him and use him as my keeper next year.

Informational only. I do not hope in any way shape or form that this happens...........

PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 03:54 
Whale Shark

Donate
no.gif
Right. maybe I didn't phrase my question porperly.

But what would you propose to your league about the rules of IR be? He has to be out ot doubtful? Does it cost anything? What are your rules for IR?

PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 05:22 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7879
Donate
den.gif
Costs nothing. And the player has to be on IR. Done for the season. Not out. Not doubtful. Not pup.

PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 05:55 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 32944
Donate
car.gif
lsumc131 wrote:

But what would you propose to your league about the rules of IR be? He has to be out ot doubtful? Does it cost anything? What are your rules for IR?

Most redraft leagues that use IR use Doubtful or Out as eligible. Those are graded as less than 50% chance they will play. It's usually 1 spot only.

Don't forget to address Suspended players. For most websites you can designate those guys non-IR eligible if you want.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 06:43 
Whale Shark

Donate
no.gif
pwbowen wrote:
lsumc131 wrote:

Most redraft leagues that use IR use Doubtful or Out as eligible. Those are graded as less than 50% chance they will play. It's usually 1 spot only.

Don't forget to address Suspended players. For most websites you can designate those guys non-IR eligible if you want.

That is a great idea for suspended players.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 07:14 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13251
Donate
We don't have IR my my league.

But I do have a proposal for you: expand the roster size by one. If one of your guys gets hurt, stash him on your bench instead of facing a decision to cut. No IR designation required.

Cutler, Ben
Forte, AndreB, Vereen, Trent, Starks
Andre, VJax, Torrey, Cooper, Cordy, Terrance
Martellus, Wright
CIN

Lost to INJ/dope/Shanny: Cobb-Wayne-MJames/Blackmon/RGIII

10-4, 1 seed,

PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 07:17 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
car.gif
TheNataliePortmans wrote:

But I do have a proposal for you: expand the roster size by one. If one of your guys gets hurt, stash him on your bench instead of facing a decision to cut. No IR designation required.

It still comes out the same. People add more players they feel are valuable or have upside and then when they have to roster an injured guy the same issue pops back up.

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 07:28 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13251
Donate
pwbowen wrote:

It still comes out the same. People add more players they feel are valuable or have upside and then when they have to roster an injured guy the same issue pops back up.

How did I know you were going to say that.

It's merely a suggestion.

Cutler, Ben
Forte, AndreB, Vereen, Trent, Starks
Andre, VJax, Torrey, Cooper, Cordy, Terrance
Martellus, Wright
CIN

Lost to INJ/dope/Shanny: Cobb-Wayne-MJames/Blackmon/RGIII

10-4, 1 seed,

PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 07:38 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
car.gif
pwbowen wrote:

How did I know you were going to say that.

It's merely a suggestion.

Because you and I would both horde another RB probably and then whine when we had to drop our super-sleeper? :lol:

It's a valid suggestion to consider for Fleaflicker as I've heard a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over their seemingly arbitrary injury status designations that cause issues with management.

And adding a spot can help eliminate babysitting for owners who don't take guys back off IR when the player heals, causing illegal lineups.

PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 09:03 
Whale Shark

Donate
no.gif
This is the reason that the league just says, "screw it, we don't want to deal with it"

Maybe there isn't a painless transition to an IR position

PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 09:56 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 485
Donate
sf.gif
Having an IR spot for when a player is out, even for an extended time, is not "just like the pros" though. They have to make the decision on whether or not to carry that player in a dead roster spot.

Part of team management is planning for depth based on bye weeks or injuries. I've always found that giving a team a free spot to pick up replacements for a week generally means that they don't have anything on their current roster worth playing (no proper depth). If you want the players real-life backup over another depth player already on your roster, maybe you don't need the other player currently on your roster.

PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 12:29 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 2080
Donate
dal.gif
As stated above, IR is IR, out for the rest of the year. It shouldn't be like MLB's disabled list, when you can get the player back without "wasting" a roster spot on him waiting for his return.

Redrafts shouldn't need IR spots though, imo

PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 12:36 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 56409
Donate
min.gif
IR can't be just for "out for the year" players in redrafts because that would defeat the entire purpose. In my redrafts, I have IR for players listed as "out." The tricky part comes in whether you allow suspended players to fall in that category or just injured players.
In keepers/dynasties, I think IR should be for Out, IR or PUP players. No way doubtful or questionable players should be on an IR.

PostPosted: Tue 08.28.2012, 13:15 
SandShark

Sand$: 207
Donate
We have 10 starters and 8 bench spots in a 12 team ppr. We use CBS and the rule is the players has to have a red + next to the name to be added and if it's removed and the player is in the IR position when his game starts, it's a $25 fine. Also, it's $5 to move him to IR. This allows you to hoard a marginally injured player for a fee and a stiff penalty if you abuse it.