FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 09.18.2014, 10:42

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SD Passing Game
PostPosted: Sat 09.01.2012, 14:23 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 2376
Donate
Any thoughts from homers as to how this situation plays out? Seems like Gates will be a big beneficiary (like he was when VJax was holding out). It's hard for me to imagine that Rivers won't bounce back, even if he won't look as good as he did in 2010. If that happens, seems very likely that someone at the WR position is going to have to put fantasy start-able stats. Only trick will be figuring out who. Who do insiders have pegged to be the guy at wideout?

Post subject: Re: SD Passing Game
PostPosted: Sat 09.01.2012, 14:34 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18807
Donate
sd.gif
RaidersFan18 wrote:
Any thoughts from homers as to how this situation plays out? Seems like Gates will be a big beneficiary (like he was when VJax was holding out). It's hard for me to imagine that Rivers won't bounce back, even if he won't look as good as he did in 2010. If that happens, seems very likely that someone at the WR position is going to have to put fantasy start-able stats. Only trick will be figuring out who. Who do insiders have pegged to be the guy at wideout?

Me and a couple homer buddies of mine had an intense conversation about this (whether or not the passing O gets back on track) topic for hours last night.

Gates is without a doubt the biggest beneficiary; seems to have fully put his foot woes behind him, and has taken precautionary measures to stay healthy this off-season (i.e. lost weight to place less stress on his plantar fascia). He's got a chip on his shoulder, and he even played preseason Wk4 just to try and prove he's over it. He'll be the go-to safety valve.

As for which WR will step up, it's a hard one to decide. I had my $$ on Vincent Brown prior to his broken ankle. Most will jump on the Malcolm Floyd train after that, but I think Meachem is someone to keep an eye on. Floyd's had trouble staying healthy his entire career, and Meachem was totally underutilized in New Orleans spread attack.

I've watched every Chargers preseason game thus far, and I'll start with the disclaimer that Meachem and Rivers do NOT have their timing down yet. Rivers is used to playing with big lumbering WRs in the VJax/Floyd mold, never has had a solid speedster like Meachem. He actually did a great job in the preseason getting open downfield, 2x he was open for long TDs that Rivers grossly underthrew him on (one was intercepted). If they can get their timing down, it'll be a force to reckon w/.

Rivers had a 2011 to forget, but lets not forget the '08, '09, '10. With or w/o VJax (way overrated WR and a product of Rivers, not the other way around). I believe he'll bounce back, especially from a fantasy perspective. They don't have the resources to apply a heavy ground attack right now either, it'll come down to Philip remaining confident and following through in his throws (and with his ego, you better believe he will be :P ). As for his preseason performance, Wk2 he showed he's ready to play for the most part. He was awesome other than his 2 INTs; the Meachem underthrow Wk2 was on him, the other one however was a tipped ball fluke that got batted straight into the defenders hands, good ball that shoulda been caught.

Last edited by TheChamp on Sat 09.01.2012, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 09.01.2012, 14:42 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1247
Donate
hou.gif
I've read Meachem, but I think all 3 could improve this year. Between Meachem, Floyd and Royal they have 3 WRs who have been at best bye-week fill-ins. Meachem being the only one without injury history. Who benefits the most could come down to their ability to stay healthy.

QB: Ryan (Kaep)
RB: Charles, Bernard (PThomas, Gore, Ivory, Stacy)
WR: DThomas, Jeffery, MiFloyd (Wallace, Wright)
K: Tucker
D: Hou

PostPosted: Sat 09.01.2012, 14:47 
Leopard Shark

Sand$: 374
Donate
TheChamp wrote:
RaidersFan18 wrote:

Me and a couple homer buddies of mine had an intense conversation about this (whether or not the passing O gets back on track) topic for hours last night.

Gates is without a doubt the biggest beneficiary; seems to have fully put his foot woes behind him, and has taken precautionary measures to stay healthy this season (i.e. lost weight to place less stress on his plantar fascia). He's got a chip on his shoulder, and he even played preseason Wk4 just to try and prove he's over it. He'll be the go-to safety valve.

As for which WR will step up, it's a hard one to decide. I had my $$ on Vincent Brown prior to his broken ankle. Most will jump on the Malcolm Floyd train after that, but I think Meachem is someone to keep an eye on. Floyd's had trouble staying healthy his entire career, and Meachem was totally underutilized in New Orleans spread attack.

I've watched every Chargers preseason game thus far, and I'll start with the disclaimer that Meachem and Rivers do NOT have their timing down yet. Rivers is used to playing with big lumbering WRs in the VJax/Floyd mold, never has had a solid speedster like Meachem. He actually did a great job in the preseason getting open downfield, 2x he was open for long TDs that Rivers grossly underthrew him on (one was intercepted). If they can get their timing down, it'll be a force to reckon w/.

I agree with you on pretty much all points.

As for Rivers specifically, he's finished top 10 since 09 and I don't see that trend ending. He's still an absolute steal in the 7th/8th, regardless of the o-line woes and questionable receiving corps.

IMO, Gates is going to have a resurgent year. Yeah, he's missed 10 games in the last two years but you know full well what you're getting when you draft him. If he stays healthy for a full 16, I see him pushing Graham/Gronk/Hernandez for the #1 spot.

I can count on two hands how may WRs have broken out after turning 30 and most of them no one has ever heard of. Floyd is not the WR to own.

Meachem technically slots right into Vjax's role, being the vertical threat that he is. Eventually, I think he's going to be the biggest beneficiary in Brown's absence. It may take a minute making him a possible buy low candidate by the end of September.

PostPosted: Sat 09.01.2012, 22:35 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3500
Donate
I like Floyd for a few reasons. First he's been in the system and worked with Rivers for years now. Second of all the WRs he is closest to Vjax's skill set. Third Rivers has lost something on his deep ball limiting what Meachem does best, getting deep. The loss of Vjax, Vincent Brown, and a mediocre oline is making Rivers job tougher than it has ever been before.

Last edited by Hiker on Sun 09.02.2012, 00:11, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat 09.01.2012, 22:42 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
sd.gif
Hiker wrote:
I like Floyd for a few reasons. First he's been in the system and worked with Rivers for years now. Second of all the WRs he is closest to Vjax's skill set. Third Rivers has lost something on his deep ball limiting what Meachem does best, getting deep. The loss of Vincent Brown who I thought was the best of the bunch, is going to make Rivers job tougher than it has ever been before.

Right on about Floyd's skill set being similar to VJax, wouldn't argue with you there.

I don't think Rivers has lost anything on his deep ball though, from what I've seen; I think it's more of a timing issue. Once he learns to adjust for Meachem's speed and stops underthrowing him, he'll be a valuable weapon. Rivers job also isn't gonna be tougher than it ever was before, b/c he'll have Gates back at full strength; biggest challenge for him in his career IMO was adjusting to life w/o Gates.

PostPosted: Sat 09.01.2012, 22:46 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
I'd be surprised if Gates plays all 16 games, or if he even gets to week eight without issues. Dudes got more miles than my old chevy with 200K.

Last edited by Hiker on Sat 09.01.2012, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 09.01.2012, 22:46 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 35184
Donate
car.gif
TheChamp wrote:
RaidersFan18 wrote:

after that just blah blah blabaty blah blah.

I think after about 180 seconds of that, I'd ask someone to :violent3: me.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Sat 09.01.2012, 22:53 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
sd.gif
pwbowen wrote:
TheChamp wrote:
RaidersFan18 wrote:

Is that really necessary Pw?

I feel the same about most Carolina threads, but I tend to let you and Rayn carry on for 50 pgs w/o raining on your parade :wink:

Last edited by TheChamp on Sun 09.02.2012, 01:13, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat 09.01.2012, 23:03 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 280039
Donate
den.gif
i think im in the minority but i think they will be fine.

PostPosted: Sun 09.02.2012, 00:09 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
Quote:
The losses of Vjax, Vincent Brown, and a mediocre oline are making Rivers job tougher than it has ever been before.

Rotoworlds Take:

Quote:
Undrafted rookie Mike Harris will start at left tackle for the Chargers early in the season.
Veteran Jared Gaither is out indefinitely with ongoing back trouble. Harris is a natural right tackle, stretched on Philip Rivers' blindside. His preseason work has been generously labeled as "mixed". Rivers' early-season fantasy woes in 2011 were due in large part to leaky pass protection. It's a major concern again this year.....

PostPosted: Sun 09.02.2012, 01:16 

Sand$: 54351
Donate
nyj.gif
Hiker wrote:
Quote:
The losses of Vjax, Vincent Brown, and a mediocre oline are making Rivers job tougher than it has ever been before.

Rotoworlds Take:

Quote:
Undrafted rookie Mike Harris will start at left tackle for the Chargers early in the season.
Veteran Jared Gaither is out indefinitely with ongoing back trouble. Harris is a natural right tackle, stretched on Philip Rivers' blindside. His preseason work has been generously labeled as "mixed". Rivers' early-season fantasy woes in 2011 were due in large part to leaky pass protection. It's a major concern again this year.....

Yep, Gaither's absence is the biggest concern for any Chargers offensive player. That O-line in general really. Probably why I don't own any.

PostPosted: Sun 09.02.2012, 03:35 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 2060
Donate
phi.gif
endzoneview wrote:
Hiker wrote:
Quote:

Rotoworlds Take:

Quote:

Yep, Gaither's absence is the biggest concern for any Chargers offensive player. That O-line in general really. Probably why I don't own any.

Yeah I think that's the key...LT. I wrote in another post a little while ago that: over the last 2 years of data...taking the games McNeil played vs didn't play....and prorating that data to a 16 game season (20 games with, 11 w/o)...Rivers would have:
4555-26-19 with 42 sacks WITH McNeil
4887-33-10 with 23 sacks W/O

Also people are harping about Floyd breaking out and all. It wouldn't be a revelation. It all comes down to health. Over the last 2 years, Floyd started 18 games. In those 18 games, he went 66-1285-10. Now that he's in a position to take more advantage, it wouldn't be surprising to see that line in 16 games or even better. Granted I don't see him playing 16, but the per-game should be nice. He's going after Boldin and Holmes on average, who respectively averaged 11.8 and 11.7 PPR points per game over the last 2 years. Floyd's PPR per game as a starter over that period was 14.1. Other WR who are closer in PPR over the duration: Stevie Johnson 14.6, Maclin 12.7, Dez 12.8, Vjax 13.4

WR Welker, Wallace, Cooks, Tate, Hunter
TE Julius
K Dawson
DEF ARZ

PostPosted: Sun 09.02.2012, 08:44 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 35184
Donate
car.gif
TheChamp wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
TheChamp wrote:
RaidersFan18 wrote:

Is that really necessary Pw?

I feel the same about most Carolina threads, but I tend to let you and Rayn carry on for 50 pgs w/o raining on your parade :wink:

I'd feel the same if Rayn wanted 'an intense conversation about any Panthers topic for hours.' :wink:

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Sun 09.02.2012, 10:09 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 280039
Donate
den.gif
You're not the only one pw...I'd want to be shot too!