FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Thu 07.31.2014, 00:23

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blind Bid Waivers
PostPosted: Wed 09.05.2012, 21:32 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 3561
Donate
Location: Im throwing down a Goody powder and getting ready for another day
den.gif
Im a Blind Bid Waivers virgin in a money league that just changed waivers from First Come First Served to Unconditional Blind Bid. Each team owner is given a purse of $400 for the season (playoffs week 14-16).

I realize that differing team needs are always a factor. Besides not wanting to embarrass myself by blowing my wad unnecessarily on early bids I also want to ensure I manage my budget accordingly to allow for late season acquisitions if needed.

Does anyone have a system or formula they use to help gauge the size of your bids at different times of the year?

RED OCTOBER IN THE LOU

Post subject: Re: Blind Bid Waivers
PostPosted: Wed 09.05.2012, 22:39 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1052
Donate
I could use help with this, as well. This is my first year using a budget with waivers. I've heard there's tricks that might be out there to ensure you win your bid...?

PostPosted: Wed 09.05.2012, 22:58 

Sand$: 8554
Donate
sf.gif
If there is a player I know I want

I pay about 65 percent on him

I have to really want him.....

whatever you do leave a little bit for smaller moves the rest of the year

PostPosted: Wed 09.05.2012, 23:07 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3903
Donate
Yeah I'd say only blow a lot of your money on a guy if you know for sure he's the real deal. I remember a year or two ago when everyone blew like 100% of their budget on Brandon Jackson (Green Bay when Grant got hurt?) and he was a dud.

PostPosted: Wed 09.05.2012, 23:27 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13263
Donate
A couple years ago, there was a bidding war on DeMaryius Thomas after he had one good game.

We have a $200 annual budget. It took $107 to get Mary. That's almost 54% of the budget.

I like to be conservative early so I have plenty of money left later in the year when bye weeks and injuries stack up.

I made an exception for DeMarco last year, winning a 7-man bidding war for $46.

BTW, there is no way to use a "trick" to ensure you win. It's blind bidding. You have no way to know what others are bidding.

I'm wondering how much it will take to acquire Ogletree next week. My prediction: $31.

Cutler, Ben
Forte, AndreB, Vereen, Trent, Starks
Andre, VJax, Torrey, Cooper, Cordy, Terrance
Martellus, Wright
CIN

Lost to INJ/dope/Shanny: Cobb-Wayne-MJames/Blackmon/RGIII

10-4, 1 seed,

PostPosted: Wed 09.05.2012, 23:38 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1325
Donate
chi.gif
We have a $1000 budget, but that is real money. You have to kick whatever you spend into the pot. We always get screwed with the hot pickup. You really have to pay attention to potential opportunities and try and grab a guy a week before the breakout. (Injuries, etc) Some guys always blows his wad on the hot pickup after a great performance. I'm not paying $100 plus for that guy, but you can get him a week earlier for $2 if you scour the injury reports.

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 00:02 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
rjdaly28 wrote:
We have a $1000 budget, but that is real money. You have to kick whatever you spend into the pot. We always get screwed with the hot pickup. You really have to pay attention to potential opportunities and try and grab a guy a week before the breakout. (Injuries, etc) Some guys always blows his wad on the hot pickup after a great performance. I'm not paying $100 plus for that guy, but you can get him a week earlier for $2 if you scour the injury reports.

Good point.

Third and Short won't like this (then again, what does a humorless guy such as he really like except his Cowboys?) but I'll give you a couple examples from my history to illustrate:

1. Three years ago, I sensed a Larry Johnson implosion and picked up Charles for $2 three weeks before KC waived Johnson. He helped me that year, then was top-5 in 2010 as my sleeper keeper.

2. After drafting Jerome Harrison in 2010, I heard some whispers out of Cleveland's camp the had some issues with Harrision and were impressed with the then unknown Peyton Hillis. So I picked up Hillis for $3 between the draft and the opener. Hillis then became my sleeper keeper for 2011. He did NOT finish Top-5.

Win some, lose some.

So yes, being ahead of the crowd can save you a ton of dollars from a finite budget.

Cutler, Ben
Martellus, Wright
CIN

10-4, 1 seed,

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 00:08 

Donate
sf.gif
TheNataliePortmans wrote:
rjdaly28 wrote:

Good point.

Third and Short won't like this (then again, what does a humorless guy such as he really like except his Cowboys?) but I'll give you a couple examples from my history to illustrate:

1. Three years ago, I sensed a Larry Johnson implosion and picked up Charles for $2 three weeks before KC waived Johnson. He helped me that year, then was top-5 in 2010 as my sleeper keeper.

2. After drafting Jerome Harrison in 2010, I heard some whispers out of Cleveland's camp the had some issues with Harrision and were impressed with the then unknown Peyton Hillis. So I picked up Hillis for $3 between the draft and the opener. Hillis then became my sleeper keeper for 2011. He did NOT finish Top-5.

Win some, lose some.

So yes, being ahead of the crowd can save you a ton of dollars from a finite budget.

Except Peyton Hillis was not unknown. He did well in Denver before

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 00:14 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
Lundy Love wrote:
rjdaly28 wrote:

Good point.

Win some, lose some.

True, he was not unknown.

But neither was he considered a fantasy factor at that time. He went undrafted in my 20-man roster league and I was the only one to place a bid on him.

Cutler, Ben
Martellus, Wright
CIN

10-4, 1 seed,

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 00:31 

Donate
sf.gif
Lundy Love wrote:
rjdaly28 wrote:

Good point.

Win some, lose some.

But neither was he considered a fantasy factor at that time. He went undrafted in my 20-man roster league and I was the only one to place a bid on him.

I can't remember but I chose someone else over him and I was pissed about it....

I think it was Marshawn Lynch not sure

Still won it all though

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 00:34 

Donate
sf.gif
Lundy Love wrote:
Lundy Love wrote:
rjdaly28 wrote:

Good point.

Win some, lose some.

I can't remember but I chose someone else over him and I was pissed about it....

I think it was Marshawn Lynch not sure

Still won it all though

Now I remember why I won....

Michael Vick was a pick up and cheap too 2 bucks

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 00:45 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 3561
Donate
Location: Im throwing down a Goody powder and getting ready for another day
den.gif
For a realistic example....Robert Turbin is a "Top Add" (based on MyFantasyLeague.com stats) this week. Lynch is my RB2 with a noticeable roster drop off to my RB3/RB4. Again...we have a $400 total purse.

What do think I need to bid to at least have a fair chance to win him?

RED OCTOBER IN THE LOU

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 00:47 

Donate
sf.gif
zoomie89 wrote:
For a realistic exampl...Robert Turbin is a "Top Add" (based on MyFantasyLeague.com stats) this week. Lynch is my RB2 with a noticeable roster drop off to my RB3/RB4. Again...we have a $400 total purse.

What do think I need to bid to at least have a fair chance to win him?

You only blow your load for those you think you can start every week

I am not sure I would bid anything on him.

Heck I think Lynch might still play

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 07:41 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33028
Donate
car.gif
rjdaly28 wrote:

Good point.

Win some, lose some.

Is there a point with taking a shot at someone else? Jeez.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 09:54 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
pwbowen wrote:
rjdaly28 wrote:

Good point.

Win some, lose some.

Is there a point with taking a shot at someone else? Jeez.

He doesn't like me using real-life examples to illustrate points.

To quote Ricky Roma, "What do you . . . f**king care?"

Cutler, Ben
Martellus, Wright
CIN

10-4, 1 seed,