FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Tue 09.30.2014, 14:53

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: ART MODELL DEAD
PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 08:09 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 25773
Donate
cle.gif
R.I.P. to a HOF owner who broke my heart. :Drink)

Post subject: Re: ART MODELL DEAD
PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 08:27 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 4242
Donate
ne.gif
RIP

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 08:56 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33202
Donate
mia.gif
RIP

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 09:00 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 5506
Donate
car.gif
dude did a lot to make the league better.

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 09:14 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 9054
Donate
cle.gif
Had conversations last night with Browns fans who said, good riddense. Not unexpected. I'm not so cynical. His leaving town, with the team at the time he did was a heart breaker, sports wise, no doubt. Just..sports wise. He kicked Bellichik to the curb, one of the best coaches in nfl history..maybe. Having an actual HOF QB helps a lot. Nobody knows the blah, blah, blahs of the G.O.A.T nonsense comparisons. ALL conjecture. The worse thing about it to those paying attention to the realities of it was something that is more tangible. Ozzie Newsome going to Baltimore...arguably one of the G.O.A.T front office directors was the worst of it, by far. You can take away a coach, we'll find another just as good, you cn take away an owner, no big deal, but dont take away the guy responsible for bringing in the talent in a game made up of "who has the best talent". Baltimore going to the Super Bowl directly after the move was tough to swallow. A direct result however of Ozzie and his staff of talent evaluators. Any coach could have done the same as Brian B.

I love football, it's a great game. However, it's just a stinking game.

RIP Art.

A fast talking AD executive responsible for much of the NFL growth, who could not battle in the NFL in it's Corporate evolution, for various reasons, many of his own doing and many not so much.

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 09:36 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 4025
Donate
bal.gif
Thanks for everything you did. I had the chance to take care of his wife and meeting him was such a neat thing. Very kind soul and funny guy who is such an energy giver. Baltimore can understand why browns fans hate him so, but that is the same reason why we love him so. He saved us when we had gone soo long without a team to call our own. Thank you for everything sir and may you R.I.P. with you wonderful wife.

2QBs: Brees, Rivers, Locker
2WRs: Jennings, Austin, D. Thomas, Harvin, Wayne, Titus Young
2RBs: McFadden, Murray, SJax, Hillis
1 TE: Witten, Fred Davis
1WR/RB/TE: see above
1Def: Chi
1IDP: Fletcher
1K:

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 09:49 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
cle.gif
citythatreeds wrote:
Thanks for everything you did. I had the chance to take care of his wife and meeting him was such a neat thing. Very kind soul and funny guy who is such an energy giver. Baltimore can understand why browns fans hate him so, but that is the same reason why we love him so. He saved us when we had gone soo long without a team to call our own. Thank you for everything sir and may you R.I.P. with you wonderful wife.

Also responsible and helpful with his move..was, coincidentally, the new owner of the team..Lerner, who gave us his son, who was clueless and absent owner without leave in so many ways.

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 10:23 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 17595
Donate
Location: Griff is a Demi God. I know this because I am one also.
min.gif
BS

"While the City of Cleveland, Ohio agreed to improve Municipal Stadium, Modell issued a public moratorium on discussions relating to the stadium issue or the future of his franchise. It was during this time that Modell entered into secret discussions with the State of Maryland to move the franchise to Baltimore for the 1996 season. The announcement of the move occurred several days before the public referendum on the extension of the sin tax that would fund the improvements on Municipal Stadium as Modell had originally requested. But, Modell wrote a letter to Cleveland's mayor and Ohio's governor saying that the passing of the referendum may not be enough to keep the Browns. Modell also wanted that information to be made public. Plain Dealer Nov 7, 1995. Commentators have speculated that the timing of the announcement was to cause the referendum to go down in defeat and thus allow Modell to make the case that he was not receiving the public support he needed to remain viable in Cleveland. Nonetheless, the referendum was passed by a wide margin. Modell was assisted in the move by Alfred Lerner, who would go on to become the new owner of the reactivated Cleveland Browns franchise in 1998. Modell's move returned the NFL to Baltimore for the first time since the Colts left for Indianapolis after the 1983 season."

NFL fans should pee on his grave. The worst kind of owner. A guy who demands the community support him both fan base and financially. Cleveland does exactly that to the sum of one of the most loyal fan bases in the NFL. There reward was a quiet deal made behind closed doors to pack there loyalty and walk. Say hi to Edward Kenedy in hell you money grubbing bastard. I hope the flower at your funeral wilt. Just as the " Browns" SB trophy did after all thoese years of support.

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 10:59 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
cle.gif
badgasman9 wrote:
BS

"While the City of Cleveland, Ohio agreed to improve Municipal Stadium, Modell issued a public moratorium on discussions relating to the stadium issue or the future of his franchise. It was during this time that Modell entered into secret discussions with the State of Maryland to move the franchise to Baltimore for the 1996 season. The announcement of the move occurred several days before the public referendum on the extension of the sin tax that would fund the improvements on Municipal Stadium as Modell had originally requested. But, Modell wrote a letter to Cleveland's mayor and Ohio's governor saying that the passing of the referendum may not be enough to keep the Browns. Modell also wanted that information to be made public. Plain Dealer Nov 7, 1995. Commentators have speculated that the timing of the announcement was to cause the referendum to go down in defeat and thus allow Modell to make the case that he was not receiving the public support he needed to remain viable in Cleveland. Nonetheless, the referendum was passed by a wide margin. Modell was assisted in the move by Alfred Lerner, who would go on to become the new owner of the reactivated Cleveland Browns franchise in 1998. Modell's move returned the NFL to Baltimore for the first time since the Colts left for Indianapolis after the 1983 season."

NFL fans should pee on his grave. The worst kind of owner. A guy who demands the community support him both fan base and financially. Cleveland does exactly that to the sum of one of the most loyal fan bases in the NFL. There reward was a quiet deal made behind closed doors to pack there loyalty and walk. Say hi to Edward Kenedy in hell you money grubbing bastard. I hope the flower at your funeral wilt. Just as the " Browns" SB trophy did after all thoese years of support.

Your assessment of the situation and chain of events there is correct. Modell, guilty as charged. For whatever reasons he truly had, he chose to move, then sell, or was forced to sell by the NFL Billionaire boys club. He could have sold to an owner locally and insisted on the team staying.. ( like Lerner just did). He would gotten out from under, made his money for his family just as much and saved the team from moving..etc.

It's still just a game at the end of the day, is my point.

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 11:07 

Sand$: 49731
Donate
nyj.gif
I had a chance to meet him when I lived in Baltimore. While is legacy is tarnished by moving the Browns, his impact on the game as a whole can't be diminished.

RIP

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 11:31 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1584
Donate
cin.gif
:party-smiley-050: :party-smiley-050: :party-smiley-050: then again I'm a Bengals fan now. So fan wise I'm better off at the moment. screw Modell tho :party-smiley-050: :party-smiley-050: pissed me off to much to feel sympathy

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 12:19 

Sand$: 97870
Donate
Fighting Amish wrote:
It's still just a game at the end of the day, is my point.

He cost the city millions because he is a crappy businessman with no ethics. I'm not going to celebrate his death but I'm not going to fault anyone here that does, and there's a lot of them. So help me God if these idiots have a moment of silence for him before the game Sunday I'll flip...

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 12:21 

Sand$: 49731
Donate
nyj.gif
OarChambo wrote:
So help me God if these idiots have a moment of silence for him before the game Sunday I'll flip...

I can almost guarantee that if they did that, there would be anything but silence.

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 12:45 

Sand$: 97870
Donate
endzoneview wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
So help me God if these idiots have a moment of silence for him before the game Sunday I'll flip...

I can almost guarantee that if they did that, there would be anything but silence.

You can absolutely guarantee it, but given this regime's lack of sense when it comes to anything fan related I won't put it past them. People get thrown out for excessive standing, they basically told Jim Brown to go away, and Holmgren was surprised when he heard the fans hate the white uniforms we usually wear. :F They're so out of touch and have been since they got here...

PostPosted: Thu 09.06.2012, 13:45 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 21529
Donate
cle.gif
Everyone, here's Mickey Mcbride

(2-3) College!!
(1-3) FSNFL

Last edited by The BlueBeards on Thu 09.06.2012, 14:16, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next