User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 11649
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009
Sand$: 16,376.28
I was listening to Bill Simmons podcast with Mike Lombardi (yes, I know some of you think Lombardi is a tool, feel free to move along to the next topic).

He mentioned a stat that he considers a key to victory. I hadn't heard it before.

The stat is . . . Rushing Attempts plus Completions = 51 or more = victory.

Discuss.
_______________________________________

12-tm PPR: QB/RB/3WR/2FLEX/TE/D-ST-PK [FAAB]

Eli, FitzMagic
Melvin, Latavius, Rawls, dWayne, ChrisT, Booker
Antonio, TY, Watkins, JMatt, Sanu, Michael Thomas
Reed, Martellus, Tamme
NEP DSTPK (inc. Gostkowski)

Keepers: Reed, Rawls
User avatar
Chum
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010
Sand$: 58.00
Did he mention the statistical relevance of it? Your post is a little light on that info. By that I mean, what winning percentage is produced when teams have 51 or more rushing attempts + completions? Is it 100%, 90%, etc.?

And then there's the whole "correlation does not imply causation" relationship.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 11649
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009
Sand$: 16,376.28
Canadian Bacon wrote:Did he mention the statistical relevance of it? Your post is a little light on that info. By that I mean, what winning percentage is produced when teams have 51 or more rushing attempts + completions? Is it 100%, 90%, etc.?

And then there's the whole "correlation does not imply causation" relationship.


No, he didn't go into that kind of detail.

He brought it up in the context of the the GB-SF game.

SF had 32 rushing attempts. Add in Smith's 20 completions, and the total is 52.

GB had only 14 rushes. So it was going to be hard for even Aaron Rodgers to come up with 37 completions. He didn't, and the Pack lost.
_______________________________________

12-tm PPR: QB/RB/3WR/2FLEX/TE/D-ST-PK [FAAB]

Eli, FitzMagic
Melvin, Latavius, Rawls, dWayne, ChrisT, Booker
Antonio, TY, Watkins, JMatt, Sanu, Michael Thomas
Reed, Martellus, Tamme
NEP DSTPK (inc. Gostkowski)

Keepers: Reed, Rawls
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 44546
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009
Sand$: 11,754.06
The total implies a lot of offensive success.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 35098
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006
Sand$: 56,632.69
Elmagister wrote:The total implies a lot of offensive success.

I would imagine rushing attempts go up significantly for the team in the lead as well.
User avatar
Chum
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010
Sand$: 64.00
I heard that too. Lombardi just said it was a stat that Parcells used, which presumably translated to a high winning percentage.
_______________________________________

12 Team PPR - 6pt passing TD

QB: C. Newton, J. Campbell
WR: D. Bryant, J. Boykin
RB: A. Morris, B. Tate
FLEX: J. Cotchery, R. Matthews, C. Ogbonnaya, R. Helu,

TE: J. Thomas, G. Olsen
D/ST: Panthers, Browns
K: N. Novak, J. Brown
User avatar
Chum
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010
Sand$: 58.00
TheNataliePortmans wrote:No, he didn't go into that kind of detail.


Well, unless someone actually crunches the numbers, it seems as though it's just a number he pulled out of his rump. Why did he choose 51 as the tipping point? Why not 50 or 52? What if both teams get over 51? Does the higher number always win?

There are a lot more questions raised by this supposition than there are answers.
Great White Shark
Posts: 7984
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012
Sand$: 3,808.78
I also heard that the team that scores more generally wins

No link to back it up though.
Great White Shark
Posts: 7984
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012
Sand$: 3,808.78
If that were the case, people shouldnt really throw the ball often, because there isn't a 100% chance of completion. At least if you run the ball, you know you are definitely getting a rushing attempt.
User avatar
Chum
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010
Sand$: 58.00
Well, even just looking back at Week 1 of this season, it doesn't always hold true.

Atlanta vs KC
Atlanta: 23 Rush Attempts + 23 completions = 46 (won)
KC: 33 Rush Attempts + 21 completions = 54 (lost)

San Diego vs Oakland
San Diego: 20 Rush Attempts + 24 completions = 44 (won)
KC: 20 Rush Attempts + 32 completions = 52 (lost)
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 11649
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009
Sand$: 16,376.28
Canadian Bacon wrote:
TheNataliePortmans wrote:No, he didn't go into that kind of detail.


Well, unless someone actually crunches the numbers, it seems as though it's just a number he pulled out of his rump. Why did he choose 51 as the tipping point? Why not 50 or 52? What if both teams get over 51? Does the higher number always win?

There are a lot more questions raised by this supposition than there are answers.


As Cory above states, it's something he learned from Bill Parcels.

So maybe he pulled it out of Parcel's rump and not his own.

I think the point is that if you have more balance in your offense, you have a better chance to win. Again, the context of this was in discussing the the ineptitude of Ced Benson and how it forced the Pack to abandon the run completely.

I think you should go crunch the numbers and report your findings.
_______________________________________

12-tm PPR: QB/RB/3WR/2FLEX/TE/D-ST-PK [FAAB]

Eli, FitzMagic
Melvin, Latavius, Rawls, dWayne, ChrisT, Booker
Antonio, TY, Watkins, JMatt, Sanu, Michael Thomas
Reed, Martellus, Tamme
NEP DSTPK (inc. Gostkowski)

Keepers: Reed, Rawls
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 16225
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012
Sand$: 40,860.12
I don't see how its a key to victory. Maybe that's been the case in some victories but I wouldn't say its a key. No different then 48 probably.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 11649
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009
Sand$: 16,376.28
Canadian Bacon wrote:Well, even just looking back at Week 1 of this season, it doesn't always hold true.

Atlanta vs KC
Atlanta: 23 Rush Attempts + 23 completions = 46 (won)
KC: 33 Rush Attempts + 21 completions = 54 (lost)

San Diego vs Oakland
San Diego: 20 Rush Attempts + 24 completions = 44 (won)
KC: 20 Rush Attempts + 32 completions = 52 (lost)


I think throwing 13 two-yard passes to your tailback will skew all sorts of numbers.
_______________________________________

12-tm PPR: QB/RB/3WR/2FLEX/TE/D-ST-PK [FAAB]

Eli, FitzMagic
Melvin, Latavius, Rawls, dWayne, ChrisT, Booker
Antonio, TY, Watkins, JMatt, Sanu, Michael Thomas
Reed, Martellus, Tamme
NEP DSTPK (inc. Gostkowski)

Keepers: Reed, Rawls
User avatar
Chum
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010
Sand$: 58.00
TheNataliePortmans wrote:I think you should go crunch the numbers and report your findings.


Well I wasn't the one who put the theory forward so the burden of proof is on him, not me.

Posting of two stat lines from last week is all the number crunching I'm going to do, at least on this issue.
Whale Shark
Posts: 1176
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009
Sand$: 2,681.00
If you just handed off one game and had 55 carries I doubt you'd win the game. So the figures as they are presented don't make much sense.
_______________________________________

QB: Brees
WR:Cruz, Decker, Shorts, Hartline, Allen
RB: Charles, MJD, McFadden, Hillis, Jennings
TE: Jordan

1 20 passing
1 10 rushing/receiving
1 PPR, 12 man league.
All TDs 6 Points.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Badnewz, Bing [Bot], CM, farhad7, jmarin189, Jpuentes75, leftofdial, maxim, Poopybutt22, tomthetank, Yeti83 and 10 guests