FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Wed 10.01.2014, 03:11

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 16:01 
Offline
Leopard Shark

Joined: Thu 09.06.2012, 19:06
Posts: 111
Sand$: 250
Donate
What changes so drastically that disables MLB's from converting?? It's always been a general rule of acceptance that an ILB on a 3-4 who dominates is the cream of the crop for LB's. Wondering why this is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 16:52 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Tue 08.28.2007, 14:37
Posts: 8182
Sand$: 19052
Donate
sd.gif
NCAAguru wrote:
What changes so drastically that disables MLB's from converting?? It's always been a general rule of acceptance that an ILB on a 3-4 who dominates is the cream of the crop for LB's. Wondering why this is.


On a 3-4 your OLBs should see the majority of action as they essentially are playing DE as well. If an ILB dominates in a 3-4, he's probably a beast.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 16:58 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri 09.03.2004, 19:04
Posts: 32823
Sand$: 9998
Donate
Location: West By God Virginia
sf.gif
TheChamp wrote:
NCAAguru wrote:
What changes so drastically that disables MLB's from converting?? It's always been a general rule of acceptance that an ILB on a 3-4 who dominates is the cream of the crop for LB's. Wondering why this is.


On a 3-4 your OLBs should see the majority of action as they essentially are playing DE as well. If an ILB dominates in a 3-4, he's probably a beast.



The Niners have two beasts inside....

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 17:02 
Offline
Leopard Shark

Joined: Thu 09.06.2012, 19:06
Posts: 111
Sand$: 250
Donate
TheChamp wrote:
NCAAguru wrote:
What changes so drastically that disables MLB's from converting?? It's always been a general rule of acceptance that an ILB on a 3-4 who dominates is the cream of the crop for LB's. Wondering why this is.


On a 3-4 your OLBs should see the majority of action as they essentially are playing DE as well. If an ILB dominates in a 3-4, he's probably a beast.


But what I'm thinking, is that the WLB in a 4-3 typically blitzes anyways, so you're left with 2 LB in coverage too. I don't understand. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 17:40 
Offline
Tiger Shark
User avatar

Joined: Mon 01.23.2012, 22:20
Posts: 236
Sand$: 1140
Donate
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
pit.gif
Here is the difference between the two styles.

The 4-3 is a basic defense that relies on a MLB that can cover from sideline to sideline in pass coverage or run stopping. It also relies on DEs that mainly focus on pass rushing than stopping the run. The DTs are positioned to stop the run and try to funnel the RB into the LBs that are behind the D-Line.

The 3-4 is multi-style defense, relying on deception and masking the 4th and/or 5th pass rusher. The DEs are basically quicker DTs, with the DEs and DT (or NT (Nose Tackle) in this formation) basically occupying blockers in run defense and collapsing the pocket in pass rush. The OLBs are used for run stopping, pass rushing, or coverage. The 3-4 also tries to funnel the RB into the LBs to make the plays, but also allows to disguise the pass rush. Offensive linemen and at times, QBs, have a hard time finding out where the pass rushers are coming from.

Both have their advantages, as the 4-3 can be used to drop all 3 LBs into coverage. The 3-4 disguises who the pass rushers are.
The disadvantage for the 3-4, is that if the offensive line or QB figure out who the pass rushers are, and if the pass-rush is picked up, then that leaves large holes in the defensive coverage to complete short to mid-range passes. The disadvantage to the 4-3 is that if the defensive line cannot funnel the RB to the LBs, then they get burned for a big run.

Of course, this is my own opinion, but it's a good platform to start from.

_________________
Sometimes the "Best Deals" are ones that are not made at all...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 17:40 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Tue 08.28.2007, 14:37
Posts: 8182
Sand$: 19052
Donate
sd.gif
Lundy Love wrote:
TheChamp wrote:
NCAAguru wrote:
What changes so drastically that disables MLB's from converting?? It's always been a general rule of acceptance that an ILB on a 3-4 who dominates is the cream of the crop for LB's. Wondering why this is.


On a 3-4 your OLBs should see the majority of action as they essentially are playing DE as well. If an ILB dominates in a 3-4, he's probably a beast.



The Niners have two beasts inside....


Bowman and Willis are animals indeed :lol:

SD's no slouch either. Might have to rename our LBs "the San Diego zoo"

NCAAguru wrote:
But what I'm thinking, is that the WLB in a 4-3 typically blitzes anyways, so you're left with 2 LB in coverage too. I don't understand. :(


In a 4-3 your defensive ends are spread out and manage containment. Switch to a 3-4 and you need good OLBs to cover the ends... if the ILBs are still flying all over the place and picking up the slack, they're pretty darn good


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 19:01 
Offline
Leopard Shark

Joined: Thu 09.06.2012, 19:06
Posts: 111
Sand$: 250
Donate
TheChamp wrote:
SD's no slouch either. Might have to rename our LBs "the San Diego zoo"


Lol chill on the homerism. SD's ILB's are mediocre. Butler does have potential though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 19:12 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Tue 08.28.2007, 14:37
Posts: 8182
Sand$: 19052
Donate
sd.gif
NCAAguru wrote:
TheChamp wrote:
SD's no slouch either. Might have to rename our LBs "the San Diego zoo"


Lol chill on the homerism. SD's ILB's are mediocre. Butler does have potential though.


Better than mediocre. Takeo's time is near, true... but notice I'm also referring to "LBs" collectively :wink: Butler's not the only future star either, Ingram's gonna be good too

The beauty of SDs LB scheme lies in the units talent as a whole; being able to rotate em' more keeps em' fresh. They have a bunch of solid guys w/o any real holes in there. Wouldn't have it any other way... unless 49ers wanna give us Willis/Navarro


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 19:17 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Joined: Sat 08.16.2008, 11:46
Posts: 2074
Sand$: 985
Donate
stl.gif
TheChamp wrote:
NCAAguru wrote:
TheChamp wrote:
SD's no slouch either. Might have to rename our LBs "the San Diego zoo"


Lol chill on the homerism. SD's ILB's are mediocre. Butler does have potential though.


Better than mediocre. Takeo's time is near, true... but notice I'm also referring to "LBs" collectively :wink: Butler's not the only future star either, Ingram's gonna be good too

The beauty of SDs LB scheme lies in the units talent as a whole; being able to rotate em' more keeps em' fresh. They have a bunch of solid guys w/o any real holes in there. Wouldn't have it any other way... unless 49ers wanna give us Willis/Navarro


What's the homer word on Jonas Mouton? Any news to suggest he could work his way into some playing time as the season goes on?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 19:20 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Tue 08.28.2007, 14:37
Posts: 8182
Sand$: 19052
Donate
sd.gif
KevD wrote:
TheChamp wrote:
NCAAguru wrote:
TheChamp wrote:
SD's no slouch either. Might have to rename our LBs "the San Diego zoo"


Lol chill on the homerism. SD's ILB's are mediocre. Butler does have potential though.


Better than mediocre. Takeo's time is near, true... but notice I'm also referring to "LBs" collectively :wink: Butler's not the only future star either, Ingram's gonna be good too

The beauty of SDs LB scheme lies in the units talent as a whole; being able to rotate em' more keeps em' fresh. They have a bunch of solid guys w/o any real holes in there. Wouldn't have it any other way... unless 49ers wanna give us Willis/Navarro


What's the homer word on Jonas Mouton? Any news to suggest he could work his way into some playing time as the season goes on?


Nah, probably not gonna see much more than special teams this year, possibly a few snaps here and there; he's coming around slowly, but for this year I don't think he'll make much of an impact

Spikes might be gone in a year though leaving him a spot


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 19:23 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Joined: Sat 08.16.2008, 11:46
Posts: 2074
Sand$: 985
Donate
stl.gif
TheChamp wrote:
KevD wrote:
What's the homer word on Jonas Mouton? Any news to suggest he could work his way into some playing time as the season goes on?


Nah, probably not gonna see much more than special teams this year, possibly a few snaps here and there; he's coming around slowly, but for this year I don't think he'll make much of an impact


Thanks for the info. Holding him on a taxi squad in a deep dyno. Shouldn't need him this year but it'd be nice to see him get on the field at least.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 20:39 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Tue 09.06.2011, 11:56
Posts: 1551
Sand$: 2076
Donate
phi.gif
This is a decent read as well, as it pertains to fantasy/IDP: http://www.thehuddle.com/2012/articles/ ... atters.php

_________________
Bottom-Dweller League 34 2-0
QB Stafford, Rivers
RB Gio, Bell, Pierce, Asiata
WR Welker, Wallace, Cooks, Tate, Hunter
TE Julius, Daniels
K Dawson
DEF ARZ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 21:08 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Fri 08.22.2008, 08:18
Posts: 13884
Sand$: 38676
Donate
Location: Taking beer from your fridge
pit.gif
most of them hybrid defenses antway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 Defense
PostPosted: Sat 09.22.2012, 21:33 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Tue 08.28.2007, 14:37
Posts: 8182
Sand$: 19052
Donate
sd.gif
rugger48 wrote:
most of them hybrid defenses antway.


Not really, maybe 1/3rd of the teams in the NFL


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jnadke, nosman21 and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group