FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Wed 08.20.2014, 19:23

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Who is your MVP?
Mike Trout 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Miguel Cabrera 75%  75%  [ 15 ]
Other (explain) 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: AL: Who's Your MVP?
PostPosted: Sun 09.23.2012, 07:01 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 174956
Donate
dal.gif
2 clear favorites with a few more you can make a legit case for.

Who's your call?

Post subject: Re: AL: Who's Your MVP?
PostPosted: Mon 09.24.2012, 20:04 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 2
Donate
Location: Don't let the name change fool you. Still a Vikes fan for life!
min.gif
I think it's Cabrera, no doubt.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks

PostPosted: Tue 09.25.2012, 23:50 
Leopard Shark

Sand$: 250
Donate
Mike Trout deserves it. He's a real baseball player. Cabrera is just a ball crusher. I'm sure Cabrera will get it though because since 1998, all people have cared about are home runs. Nothing's changed.

PostPosted: Wed 09.26.2012, 17:22 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 18210
Donate
hou2.gif
I can't help feeling there will be some writers who won't vote for a rookie as MVP. I hope I am wrong but...

PostPosted: Wed 09.26.2012, 21:56 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 2
Donate
Location: Don't let the name change fool you. Still a Vikes fan for life!
min.gif
NCAAguru wrote:
Mike Trout deserves it. He's a real baseball player. Cabrera is just a ball crusher. I'm sure Cabrera will get it though because since 1998, all people have cared about are home runs. Nothing's changed.

Cabrera has a better batting average (Although they are close), more HR/at bat, more RBI/at bat, higher SLG%, higher OPS, etc.

Why does Trout deserve it?

I'm legitimately asking, not trying to be a-hole. The Twins have been so bad this summer I have paid very little attention to baseball. I've never watched Trout play.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back"
-Herb Brooks

PostPosted: Wed 09.26.2012, 22:53 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37396
Donate
chi.gif
Should be Trout, but Cabrera will win it. It's tough to argue against the triple crown (1 HR behind Hamilton, I think he passes him), but defense matters, and Trout's a fantastic defensive CF.

PostPosted: Thu 09.27.2012, 13:33 
Leopard Shark

Donate
MN_HockeyGuy wrote:
NCAAguru wrote:

Cabrera has a better batting average (Although they are close), more HR/at bat, more RBI/at bat, higher SLG%, higher OPS, etc.

I'm legitimately asking, not trying to be a-hole. The Twins have been so bad this summer I have paid very little attention to baseball. I've never watched Trout play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQdw3h322Yg&t=1m42s

I'd provide the little YouTube box, but this will skip right to his defensive hilights. He hasn't just made one home run saving catch, he makes like one per week. It's ridiculous. He's like Joe DiMaggio/Willie Mays reincarnated. You can't really value that statistically; most stats are weighed at the plate.

And that's not to say he's weak at the plate. He's very strong, infact he has as many HR's as Prince Fielder. Sure he has less RBI's but I really just accredit that to him not having as many HR's as Miguel. This isn't a competition about who has more pop in his bat, obviously that goes to Miguel. It's about who is the most valuable player to his team. Having less home runs doesn't make him less valuable in my mind, it just makes him different. He makes up for it in so many different ways; defensively and on the basepaths. Additionally if you look at who has the most runs in the MLB, it's Trout. He gets on base. He gets into scoring position. He touches home. You can't really ask for much more out of a player offensively, I think if you were to ask any GM in the league that's exactly what they want out of any player who steps up to the plate. And what's most impressive as stated earlier is he leads the runs scored category by a mile with LESS HR'S than the big hitters. Hitting a HR guarantees you touch the plate. Trout touches home plate more, with less AB's and less HR's than Miguel.

So to me, it's Trout. He's bar none the best CF defensively, add in his AVG and OBP which are tops in the league, the fact that he can hit a really good amount of HR's, his baserunning abilities (he leads the MLB in stolen bags) and you have a very special, very talented "all around" baseball player. I can't even think of the last player who could do EVERYTHING...and everything really good. Jim Edmonds comes to mind?? But there are very few players likewise. Meanwhile for Cabrera's sake, there's plenty of first basemen/DH who walk up to the plate and crush balls. I know which player I would want to build my team around if I were a GM.

PostPosted: Mon 10.01.2012, 22:46 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18167
Donate
atl.gif
NCAAguru wrote:
MN_HockeyGuy wrote:
NCAAguru wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQdw3h322Yg&t=1m42s

I'd provide the little YouTube box, but this will skip right to his defensive hilights. He hasn't just made one home run saving catch, he makes like one per week. It's ridiculous. He's like Joe DiMaggio/Willie Mays reincarnated. You can't really value that statistically; most stats are weighed at the plate.

And that's not to say he's weak at the plate. He's very strong, infact he has as many HR's as Prince Fielder. Sure he has less RBI's but I really just accredit that to him not having as many HR's as Miguel. This isn't a competition about who has more pop in his bat, obviously that goes to Miguel. It's about who is the most valuable player to his team. Having less home runs doesn't make him less valuable in my mind, it just makes him different. He makes up for it in so many different ways; defensively and on the basepaths. Additionally if you look at who has the most runs in the MLB, it's Trout. He gets on base. He gets into scoring position. He touches home. You can't really ask for much more out of a player offensively, I think if you were to ask any GM in the league that's exactly what they want out of any player who steps up to the plate. And what's most impressive as stated earlier is he leads the runs scored category by a mile with LESS HR'S than the big hitters. Hitting a HR guarantees you touch the plate. Trout touches home plate more, with less AB's and less HR's than Miguel.

So to me, it's Trout. He's bar none the best CF defensively, add in his AVG and OBP which are tops in the league, the fact that he can hit a really good amount of HR's, his baserunning abilities (he leads the MLB in stolen bags) and you have a very special, very talented "all around" baseball player. I can't even think of the last player who could do EVERYTHING...and everything really good. Jim Edmonds comes to mind?? But there are very few players likewise. Meanwhile for Cabrera's sake, there's plenty of first basemen/DH who walk up to the plate and crush balls. I know which player I would want to build my team around if I were a GM.

You obviously haven't watched much of Cabrera this year. He plays 3rd not 1st/DH. He plays it well also. He has the 6th highest fielding percentage of 3rd basemen in both leagues.
Without Trout, the Angels are likely to finish third in their division just as they have with him. Cabrera has carried the Tigers all year and without him there is no chance they make the playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue 10.02.2012, 09:15 
Leopard Shark

Donate
scootm44 wrote:
You obviously haven't watched much of Cabrera this year. He plays 3rd not 1st/DH. He plays it well also. He has the 6th highest fielding percentage of 3rd basemen in both leagues.
Without Trout, the Angels are likely to finish third in their division just as they have with him. Cabrera has carried the Tigers all year and without him there is no chance they make the playoffs.

Ya you're right, clearly hasn't EVER entered the lineup at the DH spot or at first. Silly me.

If Cabrera died tomorrow, you could just sign Adrian Beltre, who IMO is even better defensively and actually a third baseman. If Trout died tomorrow you'd be effed. There isn't another player like him.

Here's a nice article if you care to read it:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--miguel-cabrera-s-triple-crown-push-overshadowing-mike-trout-s-mvp-season.html;_ylt=AooRDVHv5W2TUTWvYZQzHHGFCLcF

PostPosted: Tue 10.02.2012, 20:26 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18167
Donate
atl.gif
NCAAguru wrote:
scootm44 wrote:

Ya you're right, clearly hasn't EVER entered the lineup at the DH spot or at first. Silly me.

If Cabrera died tomorrow, you could just sign Adrian Beltre, who IMO is even better defensively and actually a third baseman. If Trout died tomorrow you'd be effed. There isn't another player like him.

Here's a nice article if you care to read it:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--miguel-cabrera-s-triple-crown-push-overshadowing-mike-trout-s-mvp-season.html;_ylt=AooRDVHv5W2TUTWvYZQzHHGFCLcF

Cabrera played 7 games at DH this year and 2 partial games at 1B. Beltre played 22 at DH. Silly you.

PostPosted: Wed 10.03.2012, 09:16 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7679
Donate
jax.gif
There is no right or wrong answer this year.

They should give one of them the NL MVP award.

PostPosted: Thu 10.04.2012, 06:46 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 10406
Donate
kc.gif
I went Cabrera

He put the Tigers on is back
He got better as the season progressed, if that was possible

Trout has had, one helluva of a year, but the Triple Crown still means something

PostPosted: Thu 10.04.2012, 18:42 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 79145
Donate
the guy who did something i thought id never see. cabrera

PostPosted: Thu 10.04.2012, 18:57 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 174956
Donate
dal.gif
For what it's worth, my initial vote was for Cabrera, and it hasn't changed. Accomplishing a feat that hasn't happened in 45 years, and leading his team to the playoffs wins it for me.

Still, Trout's overall year may be one of the best we've seen.

PostPosted: Sat 10.06.2012, 10:38 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 13788
Donate
atl.gif
Cabrera was the definition of what MVP is this year. I think it's an easier decision than most make it out to be.