FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sun 04.20.2014, 03:59

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 22:03 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 2652
Donate
no.gif
Two undersized, undervalued quarterbacks. Both were considered great guys, laid back and the perfect gentlemen.

Both dreamed of big time college football programs. Unitas went to Louisville, and Brees went to Purdue. Both are in the record books tied for what is considered football's greatest record...47 straight games with a passsing TD which has stood for 52 years.

Many broadcasters this week are comparing it to Joe Dimaggio's 56 straight gmae hitting streak in baseball.

Favre had 36, Marino 30, Manning 27. Sunday night might be 48 for Drew Brees, alone at the top of another NFL QB record.

Is this the greatest record in football? Who catches the 1st TD of the game which sets the record? Will the record even be set or will Brees have redemption on the team who gave up on him? Could the record be something the team could feed on and get back on track this season?

Discuss.

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 22:16 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33349
Donate
car.gif
No. It's a pass happy league and trying to compare it to decades of history is ridiculous.

And Unitas wasn't a douchebag. :twisted:

This ranks up there with Art Monk's reception streak IMO or Brady Anderson's HR output.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a beetch.

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 22:21 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 284
Donate
pit.gif
Meaningless record, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 22:21 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1100
Donate
chi.gif
Unitas has better ADP

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 22:23 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18201
Donate
sd.gif
I'm indifferent to Brees, but I never understand why people try to compare greats from different eras. Rules, strategies, sports science, supplements, etc are all just scratching the surface as to how much things change over time. Compare athletes in the same generation, its much more feasible.

As for his rec, its nice to have as a personal accomplishment, but I dunno, people make it out to be bigger than it is.

Last edited by TheChamp on Fri 10.05.2012, 22:26, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 22:23 
Whale Shark

Donate
no.gif
pwbowen wrote:
No. It's a pass happy league and trying to compare it to decades of history is ridiculous.

This ranks up there with Art Monk's reception streak IMO or Brady Anderson's HR output.

Why exactly is Brees a douchebag? The guy is a great player. Gives back to his communities, is genuinely liked around the league, and never gets in trouble off the field.

So why would you call him a douchebag? Steve Spurrier, a guy who blames 18 to 19 year old quartebacks for his teams' losses...now that's a douchebag!

Bowen, you are the BIGGEST Saints hater on this site. You talk so much :censor: it's obvious your envy for Louisiana football is paramount and in the forefront of your head every day you wake up in the morning.

You guys will never be able to ball like us; face it. You finally won a gmae early this year against us and pissed it all away against Tampa.

You are the TRUE douchebag!

Marino played forever ago, and Favre hung around longer than anyone. To think you can just write this off as a pass happy league is plain stupidity. Favre, Manning, Brady would hav come close but ALL failed! Even in this pass happy league.

What's your next point... Douchebag? Does your mother now you are up this late?

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 22:25 
Whale Shark

Donate
no.gif
TheChamp wrote:
I'm indifferent to Brees, but I never understand why people try to compare greats from different eras. Rules, strategies, sports science, supplements, etc are all just scratching the surface as to how much things change over time. Compare athletes in the same generation, its much more feasible.

Okay, after breaking the season yards record, and possibly this one and leading a sorry rump franchise to a super bowl, where does he compare after say Brady or Favre?

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 22:32 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18201
Donate
sd.gif
lsumc131 wrote:
TheChamp wrote:

Okay, after breaking the season yards record, and possibly this one and leading a sorry rump franchise to a super bowl, where does he compare after say Brady or Favre?

I personally think Brees is a better QB than Brady and would pick him; Brady has just about everything better than Brees (weapons, coaching, RBs), while Brees is a far better performer under duress than Brady. Brees also throws one of the best deep balls in the league, probably the most accurate there is.

I dunno if I'd bother to make the Favre comparison, dude is basically the past generation, just played an insanely long time.

Last edited by TheChamp on Fri 10.05.2012, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 22:34 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33349
Donate
car.gif
lsumc131 wrote:
pwbowen wrote:

Why exactly is Brees a douchebag? The guy is a great player. Gives back to his communities, is genuinely liked around the league, and never gets in trouble off the field.

So why would you call him a douchebag? Steve Spurrier, a guy who blames 18 to 19 year old quartebacks for his teams' losses...now that's a douchebag!

Bowen, you are the BIGGEST Saints hater on this site. You talk so much :censor: it's obvious your envy for Louisiana football is paramount and in the forefront of your head every day you wake up in the morning.

You guys will never be able to ball like us; face it. You finally won a gmae early this year against us and pissed it all away against Tampa.

Marino played forever ago, and Favre hung around longer than anyone. To think you can just write this off as a pass happy league is plain stupidity. Favre, Manning, Brady would hav come close but ALL failed! Even in this pass happy league.

Well, there's a quality post. :twisted:

I really enjoy how the worst franchise in the NFL for 30 years now talks of their 'greatness'.

At this point, I just simply enjoying banging on the Saints, and especially that santimonious turd that is Brees. It's fun and the little baboon-redazz that you just displayed was very enjoyable.

I think you might need a nice, quiet timeout. :twisted:

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a beetch.

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 22:48 
Whale Shark

Donate
no.gif
pwbowen wrote:
lsumc131 wrote:
pwbowen wrote:

Well, there's a quality post. :twisted:

I really enjoy how the worst franchise in the NFL for 30 years now talks of their 'greatness'.

At this point, I just simply enjoying banging on the Saints, and especially that santimonious turd that is Brees. It's fun and the little baboon-redazz that you just displayed was very enjoyable.

I think you might need a nice, quiet timeout. :twisted:

No red rump. Your point clearly made no sense. Think about it, to toss this record in the trash and say, "Well, it's because the NFL is a passing league now", does no justice to the Brady's, Mannings, Rodgers, and Brees's.

The true elite NFL QBs. If it were what you said it was, then Brady would have nailed this record after he threw a zillion TDs to Moss a few years back. Or any of the Mannings.

I am not talking about the Saints greatness as a franchise. What I am talking about is how much elite football is being played in this state, how many gifted NFL greats come from this state, and how too few the great state of South Carolina has in theirs! \:D/

I can remind you of just a few:

The Mannings
Marshall Faulk
Ed Reed

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 22:57 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 16704
Donate
atl.gif
Quote:
NFL teams recorded at least one passing touchdown in 73 percent of all regular season games from 1956 to 1960, compared to 79 percent from 2009 to 2012 (the span of Brees’ streak). Essentially, it’s easier to pass for a touchdown in a game now than it was back then.

Given the lower rate of passing touchdowns, we can calculate that a 47-game touchdown pass streak was 43 times more unlikely in the late 1950s than in today’s NFL.

In fact, given the likelihood of passing touchdowns in the last four years compared to the Unitas days, a 63-game streak today is about as likely as a 47-gamer back in the late 1950s. By that measure, Brees still has a season’s worth of work to do.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/ ... rom-unitas

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 23:27 
Whale Shark

Donate
no.gif
6 BIG percentage points...another NFC South rival pitching in on his hate for the Saints.

I bet you both were saying last year that is was 17 percent more likely that someone would break Marino's record last year...records are meant to be broken...too bad Cam and Ryan won't break any...

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 23:30 

Sand$: 41192
Donate
nyj.gif
I think the record is largely meaningless when considering the recent rule changes to enable the passing game. Its a nice record to add to a Hall of Fame resume and thats about it. It will be forgotten by Sunday night.

Comparing Brees to Johnny U is sacrilegious in my opinion. You cant compare those pioneers of the NFL with stats. And there is no way this record should be mentioned alongside Joe Dimaggio, thats ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 23:34 
Whale Shark

Donate
no.gif
endzoneview wrote:
I think the record is largely meaningless when considering the recent rule changes to enable the passing game. Its a nice record to add to a Hall of Fame resume and thats about it. It will be forgotten by Sunday night.

Comparing Brees to Johnny U is sacrilegious in my opinion. You cant compare those pioneers of the NFL with stats. And there is no way this record should be mentioned alongside Joe Dimaggio, thats ridiculous.

I understand the rule changes; but noone else has done it in 50 years...Marino's record stood for what? 30? I think it's sacreligous to take away from a great guy and great quarterback by saying what he's about to do Sunday night will be forgotten. Certainly meaningless records don't stand for 50 or 30 years...do they?

PostPosted: Fri 10.05.2012, 23:36 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 284
Donate
pit.gif
lsumc131 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

I understand the rule changes; but noone else has done it in 50 years...Marino's record stood for what? 30? I think it's sacreligous to take away from a great guy and great quarterback by saying what he's about to do Sunday night will be forgotten. Certainly meaningless records don't stand for 50 or 30 years...do they?

Rarity doesn't necessitate meaning.

This is really only news to Saints fans.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next