FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Wed 04.16.2014, 15:53

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon 10.08.2012, 20:52 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 20212
Donate
phi.gif
Looked but didnt see a thread on this. KC fans booing their own QB getting injured. In Philly, we only boo injuries to Michael Irvin.

Quote:
Chiefs' Eric Winston stands by remarks; former player demands apology

By Ryan Wilson | Blogger

October 8, 2012 7:43 pm ET

0 | Comment

Winston kneels over Cassel after the KC QB suffered a concussion Sunday. (US Presswire)
After Sunday's loss to the Ravens, Chiefs offensive tackle Eric Winston unloaded on those fans at Arrowhead Stadium who cheered when quarterback Matt Cassel was down on the turf with a concussion.

"Boo him all you want; boo me all you want," Winston said Sunday via CBSSports.com's C.J. Moore. "Throw me under the bus. Tell me I'm doing a bad job. Say I got to protect him more. But if you're one of those people that were out there cheering or even smiled when he got knocked out, I just want to let you know and I want everybody to know that I think it's sickening and disgusting."

A day later, Winston stood by the criticism that he leveled at those fans cheering Cassel's injury.

“I meant what I said. I didn't say it off the cuff,” Winston said, via the the Kansas City Star's Adam Teicher (by way of PFT). “I look back on it, and I'm happy with what I said.”

Not everybody felt that way. Former Chiefs offensive lineman Rich Baldinger thinks Winston needs to apologize to the people of Kansas City.

"Needless to say, you cannot, after a game in a highly emotional situation, take your rant that way," Baldinger said. "It came off wrong. You embarrassed a lot of great people in the city of Kansas City that have been so supportive of this team. You go to any other city, and it's worse. These fans have been here through thick and thin.

"I was here in the '80s. It was bad, it got good and these fans have stayed here forever. Eric Winston, I think you owe these fans an apology because you cannot lump together everyone with a few you-know-what's out there -- a few jerks that might've had maybe one too many in the stands. So let's not put all these Kansas City fans together … Sometimes it's better to stop, take a breath, think about think about what you [say] before you say it."

Then the discussion promptly turned to Philly fans because, well, they always seem to come up whenever the topic is unruly crowd behavior. Incidentally, Baldinger's brother, Brian, serves as the Eagles' color commentator during preseason games.

Winston, meanwhile, offered this clarification on Monday: “I didn't mean all 70,000 [fans] were cheering. It might have been 7,000. It might have been 700. It's still too many.”

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and subscribe to the Pick-6 Podcast on iTunes. You can follow Ryan Wilson on Twitter here: @ryanwilson_07.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... ds-apology

PostPosted: Mon 10.08.2012, 20:58 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 985
Donate
stl.gif
I read what Winston said earlier and I thought it was correct and reasonable. It didn't come off, at least to me, like he was trying to lump all KC fans in together; he was just speaking out against the ones who were cheering. Seems like Baldinger's just looking for attention.

PostPosted: Mon 10.08.2012, 21:25 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 4699
Donate
Quote:
But if you're one of those people that were out there cheering or even smiled when he got knocked out, I just want to let you know and I want everybody to know that I think it's sickening and disgusting."

He clearly wasn't talking about all KC fans.

PostPosted: Mon 10.08.2012, 22:19 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 16682
Donate
atl.gif
Did they have the SAT back then? Baldinger must have struggled on that whole reading comprehension part.

PostPosted: Mon 10.08.2012, 23:34 
Leopard Shark

Sand$: 480
Donate
kc.gif

This has really blown up here in KC over the last day.
Around 1:30 Winston accuses the ENTIRE (70,000) fanbase for booing the injury which is just wrong of him.
ESPN ripped us today for this guys remarks.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/19761458/is- ... d-fans-for

you be the judge.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 00:17 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 4562
Donate
kc.gif
gstahl5 wrote:

Around 1:30 Winston accuses the ENTIRE (70,000) fanbase for booing the injury which is just wrong of him.

you be the judge.

Yep. Azz hat clearly accuses all 70k in the stands.

I was there, and that's pure bs.

He can eat a hot bag o dix.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 00:46 
Tiger Shark

Sand$: 518
Donate
Eloquently said. He clearly points the finger to those WHO were booing. You guys need to edumacation if you think otherwise...

Qb: Stafford, Cutler
RB: DMC, P. Thomas, Goodson, T. Jones, Vareen
Wr: Wayne, VJax, Mike Williams, Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd
TE: Witten, Heath Miller
K: Hanson
Defense: Da Bears!

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 00:48 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18201
Donate
sd.gif
hawkdogger wrote:
gstahl5 wrote:

you be the judge.

Yep. Azz hat clearly accuses all 70k in the stands.

I was there, and that's pure bs.

He can eat a hot bag o dix.

What? He clearly says "if you were one of the people laughing/smiling"

I got no problem w/ what he said.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 06:01 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 4592
Donate
dal.gif
Completely agree with what he said... if you somehow take offense to him saying he's disgusted with the crowd cheering while his QB is laying there on the ground you have issues.

:thumbright:

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 06:23 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 26494
Donate
chi.gif
When Winston played for the Texans, he was on the radio a lot, because he's very bright, well-spoken, and he may be the most candid professional athlete I've ever heard. He doesn't sugarcoat anything, but he's fair.

So, I tell ya right now, if Winston says something, he definitely feels that way and he's probably right.

Baldinger's a tool, he's just looking for attention.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 06:40 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 20824
Donate
atl.gif
The fans that cheered Cassel getting injured, as Winston clearly states owe the team an apology. Winston doesn't owe anyone chit.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 06:54 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 4699
Donate
Okay, so at the beginning of the clip he says 70k fans cheering, but then goes on to say the quote I quoted. He still shouldn't get any crap from anyone. Cheering for an injury is classless.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 07:01 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 5884
Donate
kc.gif
hawkdogger and I sparred over this, a little, in the KC/Balt thread

He was at the game and I've heard now from other places that the number of fans booing was minimal.

My problem was that any of our fans were cheering when Cassel was down

Winston was wrong, totally, by refering to the 70,000 cheering. The asinine national media picked this up and then ran with it

Of course, I could give a f, what ESPN thinks of KC

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 08:41 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 15124
Donate
Location: Griff is a Demi God. I know this because I am one also.
min.gif
i will take the counter point. Well it is completely classless and something I would never do personally. I would chuckle at the hate for Cassel if I was in the stands hearing those cheers.

When Matt Cassel rolled into KC with no contract I don't remember him saying he'll lay for 1 mill and prove his worth. He wanted starter money and got it.

"The deal is for $63 million, with $28 million guaranteed, according to a source. He's going to make $40.5 million in the first three years of his contract."

He has not lived up to his billing and the fans that pay 5-7 k per season are probably fed up. Frustrated they acted the fool. But when you pay the money you buy the rights to do so. Winston was a tool. All he had to say is what it was. Classless. Nothing more. All he did with his tirade is join those fans.

its all part of the game you want the money you also get the crap that goes with it.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 08:52 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 4562
Donate
kc.gif
10ball wrote:
hawkdogger and I sparred over this, a little, in the KC/Balt thread

He was at the game and I've heard now from other places that the number of fans booing was minimal.

My problem was that any of our fans were cheering when Cassel was down

Winston was wrong, totally, by refering to the 70,000 cheering. The asinine national media picked this up and then ran with it

Of course, I could give a f, what ESPN thinks of KC

Here's a good article from the KC Star's Mellinger on this, whom I usually dislike.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/08/38 ... -odds.html

But in it he makes two important points: First, Winston made it sound like everyone was cheering the injury, which is flat wrong as I've said from the start. Even Winston admits now the people he thinks were cheering the injury were a vast minority. More like 700 than 70k, but the damage is done. This story is on PTI, ESPN, and GMA. Thanks for maklng us look like aholes.

Second, Winston is just wrong about the cheering. Like I said yesterday, the crowd was chanting for Brady to come in before the injury ever occurred. The cheering began - and I know because I was sitting there four rows from him - when Brady took off his jacket and began warming up. Then there was a cheer for Cassell as he walked off the field. Winston is a fool. What he says happened just didn't.

Like the article says, no one disagrees people shd not cheer an injury. But it just didhn't happen like that. I hope Winston enjoyed his attention whore moment in the sun.