FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Tue 09.02.2014, 13:54

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 14:32 
Offline
HammerHead Shark

Joined: Thu 06.19.2008, 12:00
Posts: 769
Sand$: 2623
Donate
With how AP, Charles and Mendy look... has medical science turned this once fantasy death knell (Used to be at least a year before they were back to full strength) into less of a concern? How you will treat players coming off of an ACL injury in the future and has this year changed your tune to it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 14:40 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat 08.01.2009, 23:39
Posts: 28961
Sand$: 47323
Donate
Location: SoCal
nyj.gif
I'll revisit this at the end of the year. We still have a long way to go. So far so good though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 14:48 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Fri 08.22.2008, 08:18
Posts: 13642
Sand$: 40172
Donate
Location: Taking beer from your fridge
pit.gif
endzoneview wrote:
I'll revisit this at the end of the year. We still have a long way to go. So far so good though.



yep, every players different.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 15:05 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Thu 12.21.2006, 15:58
Posts: 15956
Sand$: 8473
Donate
Location: Home of the Pittsburgh Steelers and 6 Super Bowls
pit.gif
Not an exact comparison, look at how Tommy John surgery has evolved to the point where guys are coming back as good if not better than they were.

As was said, everyone's body is different and they rehab at different levels with perhaps some players more motivated to do the work pushing the matter and coming back better and quicker.

There are also a number of players in college who are back this year from ACL's with similar encouraging results. Tennessee's WR Justin Hunter and SC's RB Marcus Lattimore both coming off ACL's have a shot at being the first player drafted at their position if they come out this year.

********

The thing that it would be good to know if someone here knows....has the surgical procedure changed or is it the rehab regimine that's allowing these guys to (seemingly) get back in shorter time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 15:18 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Thu 07.29.2010, 21:00
Posts: 2025
Sand$: 2997
Donate
Location: Dirty Jersey
nyg.gif
Had this conversation this past Sunday with some friends. It appears that the injury can be rehabbed on the short end but the durability is still not able to be measured. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Dang science, you cool yo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 16:06 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Tue 10.09.2007, 22:07
Posts: 1945
Sand$: 9603
Donate
hou2.gif
ramsrule wrote:
With how AP, Charles and Mendy look... has medical science turned this once fantasy death knell (Used to be at least a year before they were back to full strength) into less of a concern? How you will treat players coming off of an ACL injury in the future and has this year changed your tune to it?

I had been thinking about the same thing this season. Certainly I won't continue simply writing off last year's ACL victims in redrafts like I did in previous seasons. It's getting tough to argue that these are fluke rebounds. Pretty cool to possibly be witnessing the fruits of significant advances in medicine.

Lisfranc, maybe you're next...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 16:36 
Offline
Blue Shark
User avatar

Joined: Mon 08.27.2007, 16:52
Posts: 372
Sand$: 974
Donate
Location: Right Near the Beach
Im a little lost for words. Used to seeing people take about a year and a half to feel comfortable cutting on that joint. I think Jamal Charles and Adrian Peterson are the exception to the rule.

Its still early and we will see how durable these guys hold up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 16:46 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed 07.21.2004, 23:48
Posts: 8727
Sand$: 8199
Donate
Location: Wallace Wade Stadium
sf.gif
Not every one of these are the same. Peterson is a freak. Plain and simple. Charles had a lot longer to rehab. Remember he went down in week two so he basically had an entire year.

Yes there have been significant advancements in sports medicine.

Yes it's still a significant injury.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 17:08 
Offline
HammerHead Shark

Joined: Mon 10.04.2010, 20:39
Posts: 780
Sand$: 1787
Donate
I think rehabbing has gotten way more intensive than what guys 5, ten years ago, had done. Not to mention, teams are holding their guys back much more then they used to

Every guy is different as said before, but I do think they are decreasing recovery times pretty significantly.

_________________
QB- Wilson, Dalton
HB- Bradshaw, Mendy, Redman, D. Richardson, Lamar Miller (Taxi Squad), Daniel thomas
Wr- Nicks, Marshall, Jennings, D. Moore, Hester, Cooper
Te- Jared Cook, gresham
Idp- Lawerence Timmons
Def-Giants
K-Crosby


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 18:23 
Online
HammerHead Shark

Joined: Tue 09.22.2009, 09:12
Posts: 961
Sand$: 2372
Donate
nyj.gif
djsimmie wrote:
Im a little lost for words. Used to seeing people take about a year and a half to feel comfortable cutting on that joint. I think Jamal Charles and Adrian Peterson are the exception to the rule.

Its still early and we will see how durable these guys hold up.
AP more so than Charles. Charles had just about a full year to recover and AP was around 9 months, maybe less. I still think AP rushed back too quickly and it will come back to bite him.

_________________
10 Team .5 PPR, Return Yardage
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, WR/TE, Def, K

QB: Ryan, Roethlisberger
RB: Lacy, Vereen, Jennings, J. Bell, Ben Tate, Jeremy Hill
WR: A. Brown, Cobb, Patterson, Benjamin
TE: Rudolph, Clay
Def: Chiefs
K: ???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 18:39 
Offline
Megalodon
Megalodon
User avatar

Joined: Thu 07.21.2005, 13:44
Posts: 14882
Sand$: 20949
Donate
Location: North O' Boston
ne.gif
Didn't welker do his too? Last game of the season I believe.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 19:07 
Offline
Great White Shark
Great White Shark
User avatar

Joined: Tue 08.28.2007, 14:37
Posts: 7400
Sand$: 18327
Donate
sd.gif
jesteva wrote:
Not an exact comparison, look at how Tommy John surgery has evolved to the point where guys are coming back as good if not better than they were.

As was said, everyone's body is different and they rehab at different levels with perhaps some players more motivated to do the work pushing the matter and coming back better and quicker.

There are also a number of players in college who are back this year from ACL's with similar encouraging results. Tennessee's WR Justin Hunter and SC's RB Marcus Lattimore both coming off ACL's have a shot at being the first player drafted at their position if they come out this year.

********

The thing that it would be good to know if someone here knows....has the surgical procedure changed or is it the rehab regimine that's allowing these guys to (seemingly) get back in shorter time.


Tommy John was the first thing that came to my mind too.

There have been huge advancements in ACL reconstruction over the years, and I'm becoming more and more of a believer it's not a death blow to players as it was in the past for decades. Amazing stuff.

-- Signed, the biggest offseason critic & skeptic of AP/Charles returning in the shark tank

PS It also was pointed out that people heal quicker than others, and that's true too; AP is 100% martian.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 19:37 
Offline
HammerHead Shark

Joined: Thu 06.19.2008, 12:00
Posts: 769
Sand$: 2623
Donate
Agreed that the jury is still out but with Mendy coming back and looking as good as he did Sunday... I thought I'd get the dialogue going. I know I've changed my tune... I stayed away from Charles and Mendy because of the ACLs because I've always done so in years past. I took some chances on Peterson luckily, but so far based on what I've seen... Those guys look way better than RBs in the past coming off ACL injuries and I certainly won't be as cautious as I have been in years past if these players' knees continue to hold up.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beerbarian, Bing [Bot], blzbub, Conan Troutman, Fantasy40, frooglepoopillion, Google [Bot], gregor7777, jnadke, KIAball1996, KRB80, musashi, Off Constantly, Turf Hero, WasteOfTime, Winston Wolf, Yahoo [Bot], ZebraTank47 and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group