FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Tue 09.02.2014, 13:54

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 14:32 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 2623
Donate
With how AP, Charles and Mendy look... has medical science turned this once fantasy death knell (Used to be at least a year before they were back to full strength) into less of a concern? How you will treat players coming off of an ACL injury in the future and has this year changed your tune to it?

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 14:40 

Sand$: 47323
Donate
nyj.gif
I'll revisit this at the end of the year. We still have a long way to go. So far so good though.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 14:48 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 40172
Donate
pit.gif
endzoneview wrote:
I'll revisit this at the end of the year. We still have a long way to go. So far so good though.

yep, every players different.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 15:05 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 8473
Donate
pit.gif
Not an exact comparison, look at how Tommy John surgery has evolved to the point where guys are coming back as good if not better than they were.

As was said, everyone's body is different and they rehab at different levels with perhaps some players more motivated to do the work pushing the matter and coming back better and quicker.

There are also a number of players in college who are back this year from ACL's with similar encouraging results. Tennessee's WR Justin Hunter and SC's RB Marcus Lattimore both coming off ACL's have a shot at being the first player drafted at their position if they come out this year.

The thing that it would be good to know if someone here knows....has the surgical procedure changed or is it the rehab regimine that's allowing these guys to (seemingly) get back in shorter time.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 15:18 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 2997
Donate
nyg.gif
Had this conversation this past Sunday with some friends. It appears that the injury can be rehabbed on the short end but the durability is still not able to be measured. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Dang science, you cool yo.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 16:06 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 9603
Donate
hou2.gif
ramsrule wrote:
With how AP, Charles and Mendy look... has medical science turned this once fantasy death knell (Used to be at least a year before they were back to full strength) into less of a concern? How you will treat players coming off of an ACL injury in the future and has this year changed your tune to it?

I had been thinking about the same thing this season. Certainly I won't continue simply writing off last year's ACL victims in redrafts like I did in previous seasons. It's getting tough to argue that these are fluke rebounds. Pretty cool to possibly be witnessing the fruits of significant advances in medicine.

Lisfranc, maybe you're next...

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 16:36 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 974
Donate
Im a little lost for words. Used to seeing people take about a year and a half to feel comfortable cutting on that joint. I think Jamal Charles and Adrian Peterson are the exception to the rule.

Its still early and we will see how durable these guys hold up.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 16:46 

Sand$: 8199
Donate
sf.gif
Not every one of these are the same. Peterson is a freak. Plain and simple. Charles had a lot longer to rehab. Remember he went down in week two so he basically had an entire year.

Yes there have been significant advancements in sports medicine.

Yes it's still a significant injury.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 17:08 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 1787
Donate
I think rehabbing has gotten way more intensive than what guys 5, ten years ago, had done. Not to mention, teams are holding their guys back much more then they used to

Every guy is different as said before, but I do think they are decreasing recovery times pretty significantly.

Te- Jared Cook, gresham
Idp- Lawerence Timmons
Def-Giants
K-Crosby

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 18:23 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 2372
Donate
nyj.gif
djsimmie wrote:
Im a little lost for words. Used to seeing people take about a year and a half to feel comfortable cutting on that joint. I think Jamal Charles and Adrian Peterson are the exception to the rule.

Its still early and we will see how durable these guys hold up.
AP more so than Charles. Charles had just about a full year to recover and AP was around 9 months, maybe less. I still think AP rushed back too quickly and it will come back to bite him.

QB: Ryan, Roethlisberger
RB: Lacy, Vereen, Jennings, J. Bell, Ben Tate, Jeremy Hill
WR: A. Brown, Cobb, Patterson, Benjamin
TE: Rudolph, Clay
Def: Chiefs
K: ???

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 18:39 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 20949
Donate
ne.gif
Didn't welker do his too? Last game of the season I believe.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 19:07 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 18327
Donate
sd.gif
jesteva wrote:
Not an exact comparison, look at how Tommy John surgery has evolved to the point where guys are coming back as good if not better than they were.

As was said, everyone's body is different and they rehab at different levels with perhaps some players more motivated to do the work pushing the matter and coming back better and quicker.

There are also a number of players in college who are back this year from ACL's with similar encouraging results. Tennessee's WR Justin Hunter and SC's RB Marcus Lattimore both coming off ACL's have a shot at being the first player drafted at their position if they come out this year.

The thing that it would be good to know if someone here knows....has the surgical procedure changed or is it the rehab regimine that's allowing these guys to (seemingly) get back in shorter time.

Tommy John was the first thing that came to my mind too.

There have been huge advancements in ACL reconstruction over the years, and I'm becoming more and more of a believer it's not a death blow to players as it was in the past for decades. Amazing stuff.

-- Signed, the biggest offseason critic & skeptic of AP/Charles returning in the shark tank

PS It also was pointed out that people heal quicker than others, and that's true too; AP is 100% martian.

PostPosted: Tue 10.09.2012, 19:37 
HammerHead Shark

Sand$: 2623
Donate
Agreed that the jury is still out but with Mendy coming back and looking as good as he did Sunday... I thought I'd get the dialogue going. I know I've changed my tune... I stayed away from Charles and Mendy because of the ACLs because I've always done so in years past. I took some chances on Peterson luckily, but so far based on what I've seen... Those guys look way better than RBs in the past coming off ACL injuries and I certainly won't be as cautious as I have been in years past if these players' knees continue to hold up.