FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Tue 09.16.2014, 14:28

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri 10.12.2012, 10:22 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 2032
Donate
sf.gif
Which of these guys is the long-term answer for the WR2 position? Looking for a deep stash in dyno and these guys seemed to keep leap-frogging each other in the headlines during the off-season. Jean is big and coming off of injury, so does he just have to earn his way into the number 3 spot on the depth chart, or is Martin firmly planted there? Insights appreciated...

(2003) - R.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri 10.12.2012, 10:45 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 6130
Donate
nyg.gif
Not a Houston Homer, but I've been supremely impressed with Jean every time I have seen him. His body control and placement when going up for the football is just natural. I've been following his trajectory closely. I think they are underutilizing him and he should eventually take over as the #3 and then #2 for their team cause talent wins out in the NFL.

PostPosted: Fri 10.12.2012, 10:50 
SandShark

Sand$: 170
Donate
I think Jean is more suited for the outside and Martin is more of a slot guy. With as little as the Texans use 3 WR sets and how they use their TEs, I would have to say Lestar Jean.

PostPosted: Fri 10.12.2012, 10:56 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 534
Donate
tonytexan wrote:
I think Jean is more suited for the outside and Martin is more of a slot guy. With as little as the Texans use 3 WR sets and how they use their TEs, I would have to say Lestar Jean.

this is spot on.

body types aside, jean's play merits more looks when healthy.

martin should be better going forward than he has been thus far, but it remains to be seen if he's willing to grind on the inside and outside as opposed to dropping passes across the middle and looking underwhelming against physical corners.

that said, martin is also overtaking all returning duties as the trindon holliday experiment is FINALLY over. so if your dyno is a return oriented league, martin has that lean to him.

WR: Colston,M.Wallace,M.Williams,TY Hilton,T.Williams,K.Allen
RB: McCoy,Sproles,B.Brown,A.Ellington,McGahee
TE: Finley,Gates
K: Tucker
CB: Berry,H.Smith
LB: Laurinaitis,Bowman,Z.Brown,Ellerbe
DL: Quinn

PostPosted: Fri 10.12.2012, 11:21 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
sf.gif
Thanks guys. Yeah, no return points, and I was thinking Jean, but I am skeptical of how long I will have to wait for him to do anything. And if he is not on my roster when he DOES do something, I will never get him... thanks again everyone

(2003) - R.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri 10.12.2012, 11:44 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 534
Donate
another thing to note is they went to him on 3rd downs for many of his snaps, so they do trust him. i just worry that kevin walter may render him irrelevant until he has his BREAKOUT game. so like you said it would be better to have him before that.

i'd still expect the texans to draft a WR early next year, so Jean may never get a big shot if he doesn't do it sometime this year.

still, he has all the tangibles needed to be successful; size, speed, hands, good in open space. he just has to string a few good games together.

WR: Colston,M.Wallace,M.Williams,TY Hilton,T.Williams,K.Allen
RB: McCoy,Sproles,B.Brown,A.Ellington,McGahee
TE: Finley,Gates
K: Tucker
CB: Berry,H.Smith
LB: Laurinaitis,Bowman,Z.Brown,Ellerbe
DL: Quinn

PostPosted: Sat 10.13.2012, 13:17 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3091
Donate
hou.gif
Just to give you some stats:
Jean
W1: 2 targets, 1 catch for 9 yards
W2: 0 targets,
W3: 1 target, 1 catch for 46 yards.
W4: out
W5: Out
The 9 yard catch was on third down

Martin
W1: 1 target, no catches
W2: 2 targets
W3: 4 targets, 2 for 20
W4: 3 targets, 2 for 19
W5: 0 targets
On third down: 4 targets-3 catches -31 yards

IMO, Star's emergence depends on AJ's health more than Walter. If AJ goes out, Star will take his position. As far as Walter, he should stay in his position as long as he makes the catches that he needs to and continues to block for the running game downfield. Martin is not the same type of receiver as Star and will get more targets but may not have the big yardage catches. This is only my opinion.

For big hit potential, I would go with Star in dynasty with the qualifier that Texans may draft another WR and Posey could possible figure things out. Posey's role this year reminds me a lot of Star's last year with the exception that Star remained on the practice squad all year (i believe). There was a lot of talk about Star in preseason and then he disappeared to the practice squad. With that being said, I believe Martin has a lot more potential than people give him credit.

I am picking up Martin in one league because we get return yards and bonus points.

PostPosted: Sat 10.13.2012, 13:43 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
sf.gif
Great, thanks. I think I may just leave them both alone right now. I don't know...

(2003) - R.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat 10.13.2012, 14:38 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 6130
Donate
nyg.gif
mdawg wrote:
Posey's role this year reminds me a lot of Star's last year with the exception that Star remained on the practice squad all year (i believe). There was a lot of talk about Star in preseason and then he disappeared to the practice squad.

I'm pretty sure he got injured and then put on the IR. This was already after he had shown enough in preseason to make it onto my watch list. I was excited for this year cause I thought he'd make WR2 at some point this year. With the run game and def as good as it is they've been able to make do with Walter. But Jean >> Walter imo.

Also from what I have seen of Martin I haven't been impressed skill wise. Star jumps off the screen when he gets targeted a lot.

PostPosted: Sat 10.13.2012, 16:15 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 108529
Donate
oak.gif
tonytexan wrote:

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sat 10.13.2012, 17:27 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 3091
Donate
hou.gif
4.24Johnson wrote:
mdawg wrote:
Posey's role this year reminds me a lot of Star's last year with the exception that Star remained on the practice squad all year (i believe). There was a lot of talk about Star in preseason and then he disappeared to the practice squad.

I'm pretty sure he got injured and then put on the IR. This was already after he had shown enough in preseason to make it onto my watch list. I was excited for this year cause I thought he'd make WR2 at some point this year. With the run game and def as good as it is they've been able to make do with Walter. But Jean >> Walter imo.

Also from what I have seen of Martin I haven't been impressed skill wise. Star jumps off the screen when he gets targeted a lot.

He is right. Jean went down with a shoulder injury and was placed on ir. I went back and looked. My bad. But I still believe it is not a matter of the better talent regarding Walter and star. Walter does a lot of down field blocking for the running game. Walter and star are two different types of receivers. I do not think that Kubiak will put star in walter's place unless Walter start really screwing up. at least not this year. The texans passing game does not work if they cannot run and it appears that kubiak trust walter's blocking ability and ability to catch the passes he needs to. Also, the texans have not been running the ball that well this year. However, who knows what Kubiak thinks sometimes. There is no doubt that Star has more physical skill. Not debating that. Kubiak has not made any indication that he is going to increase star's work load at the expenseof Walter.

IMO. AJ would have to down this year (which is totally possible) for star to get a ton of targets. I am not even sure star would start in walter's place if he went down. They might start Martin in walter's place. People in Houston have been moaning about replacing Walter since last season. Next year, star could very well be in walter's place. I am not sure of walter's contract situation. The texans still have to sign barwin next year. Like I said, this is just my opinion. While I have not heard a lot of debates in houston regarding Martin v. star. The walter debate has been going on for quite some time here.

PostPosted: Sat 10.13.2012, 19:54 
Leopard Shark

Sand$: 320
Donate
det.gif
Martin is straight up electric. From watching him 4 years at Michigan State, he has big play potential every time he touches the ball. Although Lestar may see the field more, Martin may become a sneaky big play threat.

QB- T. Brady, E. Manning
RB- A. Foster, F. Gore, E. Lacy, BJGE, D. Richardson, K. Moreno
WR- B. Marshall, W. Welker, H. Nicks, D. Amendola
TE- J. Cameron, R. Gronkowski
K- M. Prater
DEF- Bears