Phillip Tanner?

Post Reply  
SandShark
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012
Sand$: 242.00
I was really high on DeMarco Murray coming into this season. I drafted him in the top 20 in one league and just swung a trade for him in another. (I gave up Steve Johnson and Chris Johnson for Murray in a 14 team league) But now, he's hurt and its a fairly troubling injury. Midfoot sprains are notoriously slow-healing and can linger for weeks (as anyone who owned Darren McFadden last season can attest)

I wasn't able to get Felix in either of the leagues where I own Murray. So, I added Phillip Tanner. He's more of a straight ahead,
"one-cut" runner than Jones and I think he could carve out a decent role (possibly including goal line carries) if Murray misses extended time.

Does anyone think Tanner could earn a 50-50 split with Felix Jones? Or will Dallas give Felix one more opportunity to show that he can carry the load as a true feature back.
User avatar
Tiger Shark
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Oct 9, 2008
Sand$: 272.40
Felix is still old Felix he is quick and hits the hole fast sometimes before the blocks are set up and the running lanes are fully developed. He depends on jump cuts too much to be the lead back in garretts offense. Against carolina who isnt great against the run i would look for tanner to get a big chunk of the carries in the trenches and almost certainly near the goalline....but dont let that ravens game fool you i havent watched a cowboys game in the past 3 or 4 years where they ran that many times for that many yards. If we run the ball 25 times against carolina i would say it would probly be tanner getting 3 or 4 more turns than felix....north and south in this offense thats why felix is backup in the first place.
_______________________________________

Ryan,Schaub,RWILSON
MJD,AP,TRICHARDSON,MINGRAM,RWILLIAMS,DTHOMAS,RJENNINGS
JUILO,MARSHALL,HARVIN,TSMITH,MWILLIAM
ODANIELS,CFLEENER
DALLAS

BRYNN RENNER FOR HEISMAN!!!!!!
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 3785
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003
Sand$: 25,280.00
If you check the preseason discussions on Murray I said I wouldn't draft him in near his ADP due to risk of injury. Some players just ooze injury and he has been one of them.

Regarding Tanner,he is the third or fourth string option behind a mediocre Dallas line. He's a deep, deep option only (or desperation depending on your stable of backs.)

Tanner ran a 4.59 at the combine a year ago.That's not fast for a RB. That's actually kinda slow.
_______________________________________

4 Time Fantasy Sports Writer Association Finalist
Ryan,Charles,McGahee,Megatron,Colston,Witten,Texans,Miles/Martin/Dwyer/Mendy/Rudolph/Amendola/Zuerlein

Image
Great White Shark
Posts: 8302
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004
Sand$: 41,135.50
Ben_Ice wrote:Tanner ran a 4.59 at the combine a year ago.That's not fast for a RB. That's actually kinda slow.



Terrell Davis ran a 4.72 at combine, just sayin.

Underwear running times are close to meaningless. How you run in pads in gms is what matters.
_______________________________________

Image
SandShark
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006
Sand$: 230.52
The Cowboys coaches love them some Tanner! Tanner is downhill, Felix is an outside runner. I look for a 50/50 split. With Felix being injury prone, I would much rather have Tanner. Felix also cramped up last week with extended carries.
_______________________________________

FFL Champion:2013,2010,09,07,06,05,03
[b]Team 1[/b]:
[b]QB[/b]: Romo, McCown/Brady
[b]WR[/b]: Dez, VJax, Sanders, Evans, Amendola
[b]RB[/b]: Mccoy, J.Bell, Sproles, Vereen,Hill, Williams
[b]TE[/b]: Thomas
[b]K[/b]:Tucker
[b]Def[/b]: Pats
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 16915
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004
Sand$: 13.28
monkeywrench69 wrote:Felix is still old Felix he is quick and hits the hole fast sometimes before the blocks are set up and the running lanes are fully developed. He depends on jump cuts too much to be the lead back in garretts offense. Against carolina who isnt great against the run i would look for tanner to get a big chunk of the carries in the trenches and almost certainly near the goalline....but dont let that ravens game fool you i havent watched a cowboys game in the past 3 or 4 years where they ran that many times for that many yards. If we run the ball 25 times against carolina i would say it would probly be tanner getting 3 or 4 more turns than felix....north and south in this offense thats why felix is backup in the first place.


agreed
Great White Shark
Posts: 8302
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004
Sand$: 41,135.50
zzeke2523 wrote:The Cowboys coaches love them some Tanner! Tanner is downhill, Felix is an outside runner. I look for a 50/50 split. With Felix being injury prone, I would much rather have Tanner. Felix also cramped up last week with extended carries.



Tanner is comparable to Andre Brown in running style. Remember what he did vs Carolina?

If he gets 10-15 touches, I think he could make a good flex play this week.
_______________________________________

Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BALLMASK, Bing [Bot] and 8 guests