FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Fri 11.21.2014, 12:38

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed 10.17.2012, 20:49 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6412
Donate
ne.gif
I think we have all had them. There are always "trade jerks" out there offering trash for gold. What is the appropriate response and how does your fantasy format (Yahoo, CBS, ESPN, etc) display the trade.

I received a silly offer today and I tried to think of the best response. I do not want to get into the particulars because it would be off topic for the main forum. The gist of it all though is, do you counter with a ridiculous trade for an in-kind spite type thing? or do you realize what the trade proposer was trying to get at and counter in a way that would help your team? Do you do make your moves in the privacy of e-mail, or do you take your ridicule of the offer to a league message board, public forum, or the local pub's barstools?

Anyway, just wondering how people handle this. I tend to try and be fair with trade offers- so horrible deals piss me off.

If I think a person is being fair, but I do not like the trade I try to be nice and decline.

If I think a person is being a jerk and offering trash for gold, I used to just hit my 'decline' button (Yahoo league) but now I counter with a bad deal in return. The thing is I try to counter with a bad deal that follows the logic of an original offer. If you are offering me a bad RB and a bad TE for a WR, I will counter with a WR for one of your best two RBs.

B: Seager, Sandoval, A. Hill, L. Martin
SP: Verlander, Zimmermann, Minor, Samardizja, CJ Wilson
RP: Nathan, Chapman, Janssen, Rosman

PostPosted: Wed 10.17.2012, 20:54 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6412
Donate
ne.gif
Oh- and I meant to add, Yahoo has a new "rate the trade" type feature (I only saw it when I counter-offered) that I really do not understand but has some scary red vs black stat lines. Do the other fantasy sites have such a thing? Is this feature going to hurt the folks that read Fantasy Sharks and know the sport?

B: Seager, Sandoval, A. Hill, L. Martin
SP: Verlander, Zimmermann, Minor, Samardizja, CJ Wilson
RP: Nathan, Chapman, Janssen, Rosman

PostPosted: Wed 10.17.2012, 20:55 

Sand$: 9427
Donate
sf.gif
When I get a horrible offer on our leagues web page I just leave it up there... makes them think you're considering it.

PostPosted: Wed 10.17.2012, 20:55 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 1503
Donate
tb.gif
I counter or reject it with an explanation.

One thing I hate are people that reject a trade and say nothing

Stankweasels 3000 wrote:
Also, if any woman complains about the size of your package, there's one sure way to make her think it's too big....put it in the metered mail slot.

PostPosted: Wed 10.17.2012, 21:06 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 888
Donate
I have been in the same leagues for a while now so I don't take it personal at all. I consider the first offer just an exploration of where someone values the player. The counter is typically bad as well. But after that is when both sides actually start working towards something if they are interested.

QB: Ryan, Tannehill
RB: Ellington, Stacy, Crowell, Cunningham, Sims
WR: Megatron, A. Brown, Randle, Gordon, Robinson, Holmes
TE: Ryvera, Gresham
K: den k
DEF: DET

PostPosted: Wed 10.17.2012, 21:50 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1107
Donate
I will usually counter with a trade proposal that is realistic in terms of what it would take to get the talent they are requesting from my team. This will often create a reasonable dialogue around the elements of a possible deal. No one is untouchable in fantasy, so the sooner you can get to true value, the sooner you can determine if there is common ground to agree on a deal.

TE - Gronkowski / Kelce
K - Graham
DST - Chargers

PostPosted: Wed 10.17.2012, 21:57 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 8912
Donate
gb.gif
I usually reject but offer a counter. I like to explain why I don't like the trade, while not burning any bridges. I really don't understand when people get upset by trade offers they don't deem "fair"...

PostPosted: Wed 10.17.2012, 22:12 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6780
Donate
phi.gif
DELTA6TWO wrote:
I usually reject but offer a counter. I like to explain why I don't like the trade, while not burning any bridges. I really don't understand when people get upset by trade offers they don't deem "fair"...

Yea I hate when people are soooo offended. I also hate people that will say some players are untouchable. I only offer trades that I genuinely feel will benefit both teams. I also hate people that are 0-4 and still waiting for someone they drafted to pan out and won't make any moves. They then go to 0-6 and then want the world in return for their one good player.

PostPosted: Wed 10.17.2012, 23:01 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6219
Donate
nfllogo.gif
DELTA6TWO wrote:

Agree. I treat the offer seriously, and decline with a reason. Might help make the other player better, worst case they were just fishing for a sucker. Either way it doesn't cost anything to be civil, and not worth the energy wasted by getting angry.

PostPosted: Wed 10.17.2012, 23:02 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 554
Donate
pit.gif
Always send a counter offer, with explanation if needed.

They usually go away when you actually want value in return.

PostPosted: Wed 10.17.2012, 23:06 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 15633
Donate
I look at trades as a process, rather than an event.

It comes down to the art of negotiation. If you're any good at that art, you don't lead with your best offer. That doesn't mean you make a ridiculous lowball offer, either.

I like to send out feelers via email and negotiate from their. Only when the trade is agreed to in private does it make it to the formal offer on the league page.

Example: After Dez stunk it up the first three weeks, I sent a feeler to the Cowboys fan in our league and told him I would take any of his top 3 receivers. I wanted BMarsh, Wayne or Wallace. He declined. I said let's figure out a 2-for-2 deal that included those Dez and one of his three. He countered by asking for Dez AND DeMarco.

Ultimately, we didn't strike a deal. But it makes more sense to me to negotiate via email rather than make a formal offer on the site. Of course, this is a home league and we all know each other. In an internet league where there are no true personal relationships, it might be different.

One more note: this guy posted a flame on our league message board crying about how I make lopsided offers. This despite the fact Dez has 55 points in his last two games. I didn't take it personally because this guy has a double-digit IQ and he couldn't think his way out of a wet paper bag.

Stafford
McKinnon, Hill, Sims, Latavius, Hyde, PT
Alshon, DePunk, Martavis, Wallace, Davante, Hogan, Moncrief, Latimer
Rivera
DET, KCC

Lost to INJ: Cruz, Cooks

PostPosted: Wed 10.17.2012, 23:16 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 21726
Donate
sd.gif
zodiak wrote:
Always send a counter offer, with explanation if needed.

They usually go away when you actually want value in return.

Yupp. And if it's ridiculous enough, just send them an equally ridiculous counter.

PostPosted: Wed 10.17.2012, 23:42 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 9769
Donate
hou2.gif
I almost always just say "No thank you", usually followed by "I'm just not interested in [XXXX player]" which is the case in 99% of awful trade offers. If you make fun of offers you're usually going to start a needless fight, and you won't make it any easier to make legit trades with that owner. Take the high road.

PostPosted: Thu 10.18.2012, 00:48 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6780
Donate
phi.gif
Anyone in a league with almost no trades? I think it boils down to everyone over-valuing their own players. I also have a serious problem completing trades in a league that I've won two of the three years it's been running. I think in that league I'm viewed at as the most experienced player in the league and if I want to make a trade or make an offer it's because I know I'd definitely be getting the best of the deal and no one ever trades with me :cry: . Anyone else experience this?

PostPosted: Thu 10.18.2012, 01:31 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 9769
Donate
hou2.gif
icemen55 wrote:
Anyone in a league with almost no trades? I think it boils down to everyone over-valuing their own players. I also have a serious problem completing trades in a league that I've won two of the three years it's been running. I think in that league I'm viewed at as the most experienced player in the league and if I want to make a trade or make an offer it's because I know I'd definitely be getting the best of the deal and no one ever trades with me :cry: . Anyone else experience this?

Yes, if you get too many good trades and never make any stinkers, you find that people are VERY reluctant to deal anyone that interests you. I think that's normal. For that reason, don't be afraid to make a very risky trade every now and then that makes you look bad. Not saying to make a bad trade, just take bigger risks. That way when you swing and miss every once in a while, you avoid people thinking that any move you make is automatically a big win for you.