FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Sat 08.02.2014, 03:36

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Opinion on trade voting?
PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 10:37 
SandShark

Sand$: 258
Donate
Hey all -
Just wanted to hear some opinions on league trade voting. I'm currently in a league where owners are not allowed to vote and the commissioner has the final say. It irks me that we can't vote because I've seen a trade that has potentially ruined the integrity of the league, tremendously benefiting one team and squandering anothers. The league commissioner doesn't like trade voting because he feels "owners abuse it" and veto because the trade doesn't help their own respective team. Does anybody have any concrete argument for trade voting? Or I am being inconsiderate?

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 10:39 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 4910
Donate
dal.gif
Trade voting is an absolute must in my opinion.

There is a much greater chance of abuse if one person has the only say over every transaction.

Shady trades are a recent sore subject for me. :Drink)

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 10:41 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1002
Donate
dal.gif
Trade voting may be the dumbest thing ever added to fantasy football. The only time a trade should be stopped is for outright collusion and the commish should be the only one doing it. Who are you to say what the value of a player is? The value could be different for each person in the league. What you think is high value another owner might think is not and so on. Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 10:47 
SandShark

Sand$: 258
Donate
ForceX wrote:
Trade voting may be the dumbest thing ever added to fantasy football. The only time a trade should be stopped is for outright collusion and the commish should be the only one doing it. Who are you to say what the value of a player is? The value could be different for each person in the league. What you think is high value another owner might think is not and so on. Just my thoughts.

In response to ForceX - what if the commissioner is the one involved in the shady trade and ultimately has final say? How would the league prevent that from happening if we don't have the ability to veto the trade? I understand that everyone has opinions on certain trades and players but I think owners should be allowed to veto.

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 10:49 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 1002
Donate
dal.gif
The leave the league and find a new one without a cheater in it. Still doesn't change the fact that your opinion or my opinion on a player is the end all be all opinion of that players value. I would never play in a league that allowed the rest of the owners to decide what the value of a player you own is. That is up to me and me only.

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 10:49 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 3333
Donate
infntnub wrote:

There is a much greater chance of abuse if one person has the only say over every transaction.

I completely agree. The Packers, Vikings, and Bears had every right to vote down Dallas' idiotic trade for Roy Williams.

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 10:55 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
dal.gif
Johnny Blood wrote:
infntnub wrote:

I completely agree. The Packers, Vikings, and Bears had every right to vote down Dallas' idiotic trade for Roy Williams.

I know you're poking fun at my post but I'll admit that's :censor: hilarious. Lol! :Drink)

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 10:55 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 31859
Donate
mia.gif
Owners with veto power inevitably vote on whether they think it was a good trade or not, instead of whether it involved collusion.

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 10:56 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 36932
Donate
pit.gif
Like you said, the problem with giving owner's a veto right is they may just be vetoing to prevent team A from improving their team, whether they be in the same division, etc. The trade could be fair, but if a few guys don't want to see team A get players X and Y, then the trade may not have a chance, no matter how fair it is.

2012 Deep Black Dynasty Champion

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 10:59 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Donate
dal.gif
There are Pros and Cons to both approaches; in the end I'd rather have 10 or 12 opinions involved rather than 1 dictator with all the power.

Ultimately, if the people in your league are ethical either approach works just fine I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 11:03 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 9597
Donate
hou2.gif
You can retroactively fix a shady trade, but I don't know how you get rid of the temptation for owners to veto trades for selfish reasons.

I think trades are a case where too much front-loaded democracy is a bad thing - it brings out the worst in many people and can paralyze a league. People confuse collusion with alternative valuation all the time and in leagues where the rules aren't spelled out clearly (and perhaps even when they are), it can get difficult.

Revolutions after someone tries to pull a fast one, however, are a good thing, and usually one witch-burning or stink-up is enough to vaccinate against future shadiness. So is a league where you (gasp) pick legit managers rather than any old Joe off the street.

Having been in both types of leagues, I strongly prefer leagues where you basically auto-process everything as soon as it hits the system. It's especially great during the pre-season and during a slow draft when you're wheeling and dealing and every minute counts.

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 11:14 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1595
Donate
pit.gif
ForceX wrote:
The only time a trade should be stopped is for outright collusion

This.

If it's not collusion, let the trade through. There shouldn't be any veto. If the two owners both want the trade to happen, it should happen.

If you suspect collusion, then loudly complain. If it's not resolved to your satisfaction, then stop playing in that league.

13-team, redraft+1kp, non-ppr, start 9: QB, 1-3RB, 2-4WR, 1-3TE, K, DST

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 11:19 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 3260
Donate
det.gif
In the league I commish, I got rid of the trade voting because we have two idiot brothers that will vote against anyone elses trade. So annoying :roll:

I just made it clear that if any funny business ever happens at the end of the year (collusion)
Then you won't be invited back.

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 11:21 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 21173
Donate
cle.gif
I'm not a fan of trade voting. I've seen decent trades blocked by board chatterers for no other reason than they didn't like the trade.

PostPosted: Tue 11.06.2012, 11:32 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 4611
Donate
I've played in both types and league voting is hands down the absolute worst. I've rarely ever had a problem with a commisioner with supreme executive power, but almost always in the case of league voting trades get vetoed for absolutely no reason.
I decided to play in one of the yahoo money leagues this year and a guy had 3 trades vetoed within the matter of a week. I ended up calling out the rest of the league because I didn't feel like dealing with the same crap when it came my turn for league approval.
It's bad enough playing in leagues where you can find a trade partner, then you finally do and have to wait 2 days, eventually getting it rejected by guys that don't want to see others succeed. They should have joined a draft only league if they wanted it that way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next