FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Fri 10.31.2014, 04:48

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 516 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 12:35 

Sand$: 52229
Donate
nyj.gif
I've listed why I don't think this would be a possibility, but this story will not die so I figure I might as well make a thread.

Trading a player as great as Revis is coming off an ACL injury with a contract that forbids a franchise tag in 2014, I can't seem to fathom a team giving the Jets what they want (first rounder?) and giving Revis a contract he wants. I firmly believe these trade stories are perhaps rooted in Revis' agent trying to find a way out of New York. However Revis is playing the fanbase perfectly saying that he wants to be a "Jet for Life"

With that said -

Quote:
'Gold rush forming' for possible Darrelle Revis trade
By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider
January 25, 2013 11:09 am ET

One NFL general manager called the trade interest in Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis “one of the biggest potential trade markets for a player ever.” He likened the growing interest in Revis to when Reggie White was leaving Philadelphia as a free agent or the Peyton Manning sweepstakes last year. That, basically, says it all about what's happening with Revis.

The possibility of a Revis trade, first reported by CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, is no longer just a possibility, according to a variety of sources. The Jets are strongly leaning toward the trade and teams are considering giving up significant capital to get him.

"There's a Revis gold rush forming,” said a general manager.

I wonder if this nameless general manager is new Jets GM John Idzik. That would be awesome.

And it's completely against their M.O. but I'm going to throw the Steelers out as a possible trade partner. He's from Pennsylvania and went to Pitt. I'm sure he would love to play for the Steelers. Ike Taylor is going to be 33 and has two years left on his deal and Keenan Lewis is a free agent. Obviously there is alot going against this happening, especially the Steelers cap situation, but they are the first team I thought of.

Week 9 Bets Posted

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 12:48 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 6056
Donate
sea.gif
Starting to seem injury prone, but an enticing piece for a team with a lot of picks and a dire need in their defensive backfield. Having this story in New York, I doubt it dies down anytime soon in between the speculation and actual interest.

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 12:51 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 34958
Donate
nyj.gif
i still think its seattle.... sherman and a few picks

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 12:53 

Sand$: 52229
Donate
nyj.gif
jetsman2806 wrote:

Why?

Week 9 Bets Posted

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 12:56 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 25256
Donate
ne.gif
jetsman2806 wrote:

If you're Seattle, why bother though? Sherman and Browner is already a good combo and Revis is not going to sign a contract that does not make him the highest paid CB in the league.

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 12:57 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 35274
Donate
mia.gif
endzoneview wrote:
jetsman2806 wrote:

Why?

X2. Why would Seattle make that move?

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 12:58 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
ne.gif
Rotoworld blurb:

Quote:
One NFL general manager said the interest in Darrelle Revis is "one of the biggest potential trade markets for a player ever."
"There's a Revis gold rush forming," said one general manager. According to CBS' Mike Freeman, the Jets are asking for a first- and second-round pick in exchange for Revis, which certainly wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if he were healthy, but that's a high price for a guy coming off a torn ACL. Teams that have been linked to Revis are the Patriots, Broncos, 49ers, Bills, Seahawks, and Packers, according to Freeman. You can rule out a trade with the division rival Patriots and Bills.

I wonder which "NFL GM" this is. Probably the Jets GM, haha.

Bills and Patriots? They're in the same division. And I would bet heavily against the Patriots being willing to offer a 1st and a 2nd-rounder for Revis, never mind pay him as the top CB in the league. They don't have the cap room.

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 13:05 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 6715
Donate
pit.gif
Quote:
Revis is not going to sign a contract that does not make him the highest paid CB in the league.

IMO, that's a given.

He'll ask for Bruce Smith money trying to be the #1/#2 highest paid defensive player.

One thing Revis has demonstrated throughout his career besides being awfully good on the football field - he wants paid.

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 13:10 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
ne.gif
jesteva wrote:
Quote:
Revis is not going to sign a contract that does not make him the highest paid CB in the league.

IMO, that's a given.

He'll ask for Bruce Smith money trying to be the #1/#2 highest paid defensive player.

One thing Revis has demonstrated throughout his career besides being awfully good on the football field - he wants paid.

I agree that its a given. Which makes Revis even harder to trade and makes it less likely a team trades for him. Any team that trades for him is going to have to give up a 1st-rounder and a 2nd-rounder AND they're going to have to pay him the salary of a franchise QB. I doubt the line of teams to make that move is not very long, if any. Otherwise, the team would be giving up those picks for a 1-year rental of Revis, which no team is going to do, obviously.

Jake Long and his agent said something similar the other day. They both have gigantic egos.

Quote:
A source tells the Miami Herald the Dolphins made a "low-ball attempt" to lock-up impending free agent LT Jake Long during the season.
The Dolphins have sent mixed signals on the former No. 1 pick, but it's clear they're not going to sign him to a deal his pre-injury reputation would have commanded. That could be a problem, as a team source tells the Herald Long "likes the idea of being the best at what he does and one way he proves to everyone that he is is by being the highest paid at what he does." According to the source, there's a "considerable amount of professional ego." With neither side sounding willing to negotiate on the other's terms, it's looking more likely Long will walk.

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 13:12 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 36742
Donate
car.gif
Jcb890 wrote:
jesteva wrote:
Quote:

IMO, that's a given.

I agree that its a given. Which makes Revis even harder to trade and makes it less likely a team trades for him. Any team that trades for him is going to have to give up a 1st-rounder and a 2nd-rounder AND they're going to have to pay him the salary of a franchise QB. I doubt the line of teams to make that move is not very long, if any. Otherwise, the team would be giving up those picks for a 1-year rental of Revis, which no team is going to do, obviously.

Jake Long and his agent said something similar the other day. They both have gigantic egos.

Quote:
A source tells the Miami Herald the Dolphins made a "low-ball attempt" to lock-up impending free agent LT Jake Long during the season.
The Dolphins have sent mixed signals on the former No. 1 pick, but it's clear they're not going to sign him to a deal his pre-injury reputation would have commanded. That could be a problem, as a team source tells the Herald Long "likes the idea of being the best at what he does and one way he proves to everyone that he is is by being the highest paid at what he does." According to the source, there's a "considerable amount of professional ego." With neither side sounding willing to negotiate on the other's terms, it's looking more likely Long will walk.

Let me know when you find a few professional athletes that don't have gigantic egos. It's their nature and they better think they're the best at what they do if you're counting on them to try to perform on the field.

Anyone with a career of single digit years who DIDN'T try to maximize their income is completely f'n stupid.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 13:18 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 35274
Donate
mia.gif
Long is in for an awakening, I think. Someone will overpay, but not to the degree he's hoping.

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 13:22 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
ne.gif
pwbowen wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:
jesteva wrote:
Quote:

IMO, that's a given.

Quote:

Let me know when you find a few professional athletes that don't have gigantic egos. It's their nature and they better think they're the best at what they do if you're counting on them to try to perform on the field.

Anyone with a career of single digit years who DIDN'T try to maximize their income is completely f'n stupid.

Oh I know they all have huge egos. But if I'm a GM and I'm building a team, I'm probably not going to go out and target guys that want to be paid as the top player at their position no matter what the circumstance.

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 13:29 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 36742
Donate
car.gif
Jcb890 wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:
jesteva wrote:
Quote:

IMO, that's a given.

Quote:

Oh I know they all have huge egos. But if I'm a GM and I'm building a team, I'm probably not going to go out and target guys that want to be paid as the top player at their position no matter what the circumstance.

That's a solid plan since I'd expect most of them to be too far along in their career to be able to offer enough years of service to get back the huge investment that's based on past performances. The track record is spotty at best and I doubt there are more than a handful of examples when paying such a premium really netted the ROI that was expected.

Course the Panthers' track record doesn't improve my perception of the value of high priced free agents either.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 13:34 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
nyj.gif
Jcb890 wrote:
jetsman2806 wrote:

If you're Seattle, why bother though? Sherman and Browner is already a good combo and Revis is not going to sign a contract that does not make him the highest paid CB in the league.

1. you get the best corner in the game and can take anyone player out of the opponents gameplan.
2. seattle has the caproom to make an offer
3. seattle has pieces that can be dealt to make it happen, be it a CB, QB,OL

with Revis in seattle that D is a heck of a lot better

PostPosted: Fri 01.25.2013, 13:37 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Donate
nyj.gif
let me clarify that this is the last thing i would want, i would rather we deal Cromartie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 516 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next