FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Tue 10.21.2014, 16:33

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 09:02 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7719
Donate
ind.gif
Tennessee wants to sign Jared Cook or franchise tag him. But his franchise price might be a bit too high if the league re-classifies Cook as a WR.

Quote:
The Nashville Tennessean suggests the Titans could hit a "big snag" in contract talks with free agent Jared Cook over whether he should be classified as a tight end or wide receiver.

Cook played over 60 percent of his snaps as a slot receiver/wideout in 2012, and this could become contentious if the Titans try slapping Cook with the tight end franchise tag. The franchise number for receivers is roughly $10.5 million. The tight end franchise number is just under $6 million. Per beat writer Jim Wyatt, Cook and the Titans are "nowhere close" to a long-term agreement.

I qame always amused by the language ... "slapping Cook with the tight end franchise tag" ...

If you play professional football, you are represented by the NFLPA, which has negotiated a fantastic salary cap system, including a tag system that lets players get paid quite a lot. If you are important to your team, they will want to sign you to a long term contract. If you want to quit the team they can still keep you on a 1-year deal, paying you as about the #3 at your position (the average of the previous years top-5 salaries is about #2.5). Yeah, that is a slap in the face. It is tough when after 4 years, you've accounted for 1717 receiving yards, and they want to pay you as a top-5 TE.

It is a legitimate question though whether he is an underachieving WR or an underachieving WR. The NFL is going to have to consider this carefully. TE's should be allowed to be lined up from somewhere other than tight to the end of the line.

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 09:36 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 36454
Donate
car.gif
votingmachine wrote:
Tennessee wants to sign Jared Cook or franchise tag him. But his franchise price might be a bit too high if the league re-classifies Cook as a WR.

Quote:
The Nashville Tennessean suggests the Titans could hit a "big snag" in contract talks with free agent Jared Cook over whether he should be classified as a tight end or wide receiver.

Cook played over 60 percent of his snaps as a slot receiver/wideout in 2012, and this could become contentious if the Titans try slapping Cook with the tight end franchise tag. The franchise number for receivers is roughly $10.5 million. The tight end franchise number is just under $6 million. Per beat writer Jim Wyatt, Cook and the Titans are "nowhere close" to a long-term agreement.

I qame always amused by the language ... "slapping Cook with the tight end franchise tag" ...

If you play professional football, you are represented by the NFLPA, which has negotiated a fantastic salary cap system, including a tag system that lets players get paid quite a lot. If you are important to your team, they will want to sign you to a long term contract. If you want to quit the team they can still keep you on a 1-year deal, paying you as about the #3 at your position (the average of the previous years top-5 salaries is about #2.5). Yeah, that is a slap in the face. It is tough when after 4 years, you've accounted for 1717 receiving yards, and they want to pay you as a top-5 TE.

It is a legitimate question though whether he is an underachieving WR or an underachieving WR. The NFL is going to have to consider this carefully. TE's should be allowed to be lined up from somewhere other than tight to the end of the line.

So Cook's agent figured out a loophole for his client to make more $? Then good for him.

With the 'slap in the face' comment are we supposed to be mad at Cook for trying to maximize his salary because you haven't deemed him worthy?

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 10:44 

Sand$: 49127
Donate
nyj.gif
I think the NFL is going to have to change the definition. Dude is a tight end.

He should be lucky if they franchise him

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 10:46 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7911
Donate
jax.gif
All hype with this guy

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 11:00 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
car.gif
endzoneview wrote:
I think the NFL is going to have to change the definition. Dude is a right end.

Agreed. Can't blame the man for trying though.

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 11:05 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 34940
Donate
nyj.gif
he will hit free agency in my mind, tennessee has much more pressing needs than using their tag on a TE that they hardly used in the game plan

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 11:14 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 57229
Donate
I'd let him walk. He's not even worth tagged TE money.

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 12:13 

Donate
nyj.gif
Bo Scaife 2.0

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 12:21 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Donate
car.gif
endzoneview wrote:
Bo Scaife 2.0

Not yet. Injuries and Jake Locker mean I'll need to see another year or 2 before I write him off.

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 12:25 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 57229
Donate
endzoneview wrote:
Bo Scaife 2.0

I like it for the back of his jersey.

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 12:57 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 7719
Donate
ind.gif
pwbowen wrote:
votingmachine wrote:

Quote:

So Cook's agent figured out a loophole for his client to make more $? Then good for him.

With the 'slap in the face' comment are we supposed to be mad at Cook for trying to maximize his salary because you haven't deemed him worthy?

You get what you can get. My comment is that the franchise tag is a sweet deal. It is a 1-year deal and of course players don't want that uncertainty anymore than anyone else. But it is a SWEEET deal, not a slap in the face. The pay is at the top-level for the position.

Here are the 1-year salaries:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-franchise-tag-window-opens-monday-130931912--nfl.html

Jared Cook will receive almost $6 million for 2013 as a franchise tagged TE. If he can get classified as a WR, he will make more, and I also applaud the agent for the representation. My comment is not that Jared Cook isn't worth $6 million ... that is a Titans' decision of value, and he seems potentially worth that. My comment is that a franchise tag is not an insult EVER. It is a pay that is in the top-10% of your position, and a designation of you as a player that the team would rather pay at the highest level than lose you.

To me being told you are too important and too critical to allow to leave, and being told you will be paid at the top level is a complement. It may be that you want to be an unlimited free agent, but the you know when you go to work for the NFL that the franchise tag is part of the NFL contract. The players agreed to that.

I really don't know if Cook is worth the money or not. I don't think much of his accomplishments, but those also reflect the team. My guess is that the Titans want to either sign him for several years at a lower salary, or pay him the max, but not guaranteed. I don't recall ever seeing him play, so I would be ill-prepared to actually evaluate him. I'm sure I must have seen him in a Colts-Titans game but I don't recall it.

EDIT: The franchise tag is at the average of the top-5 salaries for the previous year. I said that was top-10%. Really it is closer to top 5% for TE's. If the 32 teams all have 2 TE's that is 64 total. If they carry 3, that is 96. If the average of the top-5 is the 4th highest in the new year (say a new contract, rising salaries in contracts by year) ... then the #4 salary is in the top 5%, if there are 80 NFL TE's.

Last edited by votingmachine on Fri 02.22.2013, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 13:53 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 25074
Donate
ne.gif
pwbowen wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

Agree with both of you guys on this one.

Same thing happened to Finley a couple of years ago, didn't it?

He's a TE and an underachiever at that. Even if they could get him at the tagged TE price, why bother?

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 14:01 

Donate
nyj.gif
Jcb890 wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

He's a TE and an underachiever at that. Even if they could get him at the tagged TE price, why bother?

I think they just end up splitting the difference.

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 15:09 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 25074
Donate
ne.gif
endzoneview wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

Didn't he get a 2-year deal though? Or did he get the tag, play that out, then get a 2-year deal the year after that? I forget.

PostPosted: Fri 02.22.2013, 15:10 

Donate
nyj.gif
Jcb890 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:
pwbowen wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

Didn't he get a 2-year deal though? Or did he get the tag, play that out, then get a 2-year deal the year after that? I forget.

I might be thinking of someone else. I do remember someone splitting the difference when there was a position squabble.