User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 4615
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005
Sand$: 25,223.20
The Atlanta Falcons today announced that they have released defensive end John Abraham, cornerback Dunta Robinson, and running back Michael Turner.

“As a football coach it is never easy to cut any player, especially veteran players who have been valuable members of the organization,” Falcons head coach Mike Smith said. “The guys we released today have contributed to the success that we have had over the last five years, and we greatly appreciate their efforts.”

Source: http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Falcons-Release-Turner-Robinson-Abraham/c294f375-010a-4bdd-8488-376c2a00459a

You knew it was coming. We appreciate the service you 3 provided no doubt. Question though. We are talking about getting younger -- but the talk of adding Steven Jackson has hit a fever pitch. Isn't he going to be 30? Just a change of pace for Quizz?
_______________________________________

PPR, 12 team, 6pt TDs, start 1qb, 2rb, 2wr, 1te, 1flex(rb,wr,te), 1k, def
Brees, Dak
DMurray, Gordon, Ware, Henry, AP
ABrown, TWill(SD), Landry, Boldin, Hogan
Walker, McDonald
Gostkowski
AZ
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 17848
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012
Sand$: 52,580.36
DigitalDominators wrote:
The Atlanta Falcons today announced that they have released defensive end John Abraham, cornerback Dunta Robinson, and running back Michael Turner.

“As a football coach it is never easy to cut any player, especially veteran players who have been valuable members of the organization,” Falcons head coach Mike Smith said. “The guys we released today have contributed to the success that we have had over the last five years, and we greatly appreciate their efforts.”

Source: http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Falcons-Release-Turner-Robinson-Abraham/c294f375-010a-4bdd-8488-376c2a00459a

You knew it was coming. We appreciate the service you 3 provided no doubt. Question though. We are talking about getting younger -- but the talk of adding Steven Jackson has hit a fever pitch. Isn't he going to be 30? Just a change of pace for Quizz?


If they signed Jackson I think Quizz would be the change of pace guy. I think they realize he's not a full-time, 3-down player and that's why they would want Steven Jackson.
_______________________________________

User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 4615
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005
Sand$: 25,223.20
Jcb890 wrote:If they signed Jackson I think Quizz would be the change of pace guy. I think they realize he's not a full-time, 3-down player and that's why they would want Steven Jackson.

Interesting Quote from coach Smith talking about Quizz though:
“He can handle all three downs and he does a very good job for us returning kicks,” Smith said. “We were very transparent back in March of last year in terms of how we were going to put together our offense. That we were not going to have a featured back. That we were going to have carries dispersed amongst a number of guys and I think Jacquizz took advantage of his opportunities.”
_______________________________________

PPR, 12 team, 6pt TDs, start 1qb, 2rb, 2wr, 1te, 1flex(rb,wr,te), 1k, def
Brees, Dak
DMurray, Gordon, Ware, Henry, AP
ABrown, TWill(SD), Landry, Boldin, Hogan
Walker, McDonald
Gostkowski
AZ
Megalodon
Posts: 17323
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 22,132.42
Jcb890 wrote:
DigitalDominators wrote:
The Atlanta Falcons today announced that they have released defensive end John Abraham, cornerback Dunta Robinson, and running back Michael Turner.

“As a football coach it is never easy to cut any player, especially veteran players who have been valuable members of the organization,” Falcons head coach Mike Smith said. “The guys we released today have contributed to the success that we have had over the last five years, and we greatly appreciate their efforts.”

Source: http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Falcons-Release-Turner-Robinson-Abraham/c294f375-010a-4bdd-8488-376c2a00459a

You knew it was coming. We appreciate the service you 3 provided no doubt. Question though. We are talking about getting younger -- but the talk of adding Steven Jackson has hit a fever pitch. Isn't he going to be 30? Just a change of pace for Quizz?


If they signed Jackson I think Quizz would be the change of pace guy. I think they realize he's not a full-time, 3-down player and that's why they would want Steven Jackson.


An Sjax (primary back) combo would be pretty scary considering whats already there, but i disagree somewhat w/the highlighted part.

Im as well versed in coach speak as the next guy (ie we're all guessing and projecting), but the ATL Coaches (and FO) have gone so far out of their way to say differently now that itd be a surprise to find otherwise.

EDIT: Oh, fwiw - just cause they do see him as a 3 down guy doesnt mean he will be. The list of guys that could be 3 down and then havent made it is pretty long. A few guys in WAS can testify to that.
_______________________________________

Griff is a demi-god. That is all.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 45698
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005
Sand$: 41,737.80
jamcutpost wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:
DigitalDominators wrote:
The Atlanta Falcons today announced that they have released defensive end John Abraham, cornerback Dunta Robinson, and running back Michael Turner.

“As a football coach it is never easy to cut any player, especially veteran players who have been valuable members of the organization,” Falcons head coach Mike Smith said. “The guys we released today have contributed to the success that we have had over the last five years, and we greatly appreciate their efforts.”

Source: http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Falcons-Release-Turner-Robinson-Abraham/c294f375-010a-4bdd-8488-376c2a00459a

You knew it was coming. We appreciate the service you 3 provided no doubt. Question though. We are talking about getting younger -- but the talk of adding Steven Jackson has hit a fever pitch. Isn't he going to be 30? Just a change of pace for Quizz?


If they signed Jackson I think Quizz would be the change of pace guy. I think they realize he's not a full-time, 3-down player and that's why they would want Steven Jackson.


An Sjax (primary back) combo would be pretty scary considering whats already there, but i disagree somewhat w/the highlighted part.

Im as well versed in coach speak as the next guy (ie we're all guessing and projecting), but the ATL Coaches (and FO) have gone so far out of their way to say differently now that itd be a surprise to find otherwise.

EDIT: Oh, fwiw - just cause they do see him as a 3 down guy doesnt mean he will be. The list of guys that could be 3 down and then havent made it is pretty long. A few guys in WAS can testify to that.


And with wear-and-tear rate for RBs adding another guy would make a lot of sense for Atlanta. I don't see them spending the $ needed for Jackson but someone like a Shonn Greene perhaps or Bradshaw if he's out there for a while and the price isn't too bad?

And Atlanta still has some salary issues to work out. Currently Sam Baker and Brent Grimes are not under contract. Tony Gonzalez hasn't been accounted for if he comes back (which is looking more and more likely). Ryan's in the last year of his rookie deal, so they might move to go ahead and restructure do something with him.

According to www.spotrac.com the Falcons are at $99M of the $123M cap (with $9M in dead money from players cut) and have lost their best OT, DE, S and only have 1 CB under contract (Samuel).
Last edited by pwbowen on Fri 03.01.2013, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
_______________________________________

34-17/ 29-7 / 34-13 / 27-17 / 31-17

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

Cause if my eyes don't deceive me, there's something goin' wrong around here.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 17848
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012
Sand$: 52,580.36
jamcutpost wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:
DigitalDominators wrote:
The Atlanta Falcons today announced that they have released defensive end John Abraham, cornerback Dunta Robinson, and running back Michael Turner.

“As a football coach it is never easy to cut any player, especially veteran players who have been valuable members of the organization,” Falcons head coach Mike Smith said. “The guys we released today have contributed to the success that we have had over the last five years, and we greatly appreciate their efforts.”

Source: http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Falcons-Release-Turner-Robinson-Abraham/c294f375-010a-4bdd-8488-376c2a00459a

You knew it was coming. We appreciate the service you 3 provided no doubt. Question though. We are talking about getting younger -- but the talk of adding Steven Jackson has hit a fever pitch. Isn't he going to be 30? Just a change of pace for Quizz?


If they signed Jackson I think Quizz would be the change of pace guy. I think they realize he's not a full-time, 3-down player and that's why they would want Steven Jackson.


An Sjax (primary back) combo would be pretty scary considering whats already there, but i disagree somewhat w/the highlighted part.

Im as well versed in coach speak as the next guy (ie we're all guessing and projecting), but the ATL Coaches (and FO) have gone so far out of their way to say differently now that itd be a surprise to find otherwise.

EDIT: Oh, fwiw - just cause they do see him as a 3 down guy doesnt mean he will be. The list of guys that could be 3 down and then havent made it is pretty long. A few guys in WAS can testify to that.


You guys could be right, but that's just how I see it. When Quizz was given the opportunities last year to showcase that he should be "the guy" he fell on his face. You don't see too many coaches not talk-up their young guys no matter what is going on or what the team plans to do.

We'll find out soon I guess with FA opening 3/12. I'd imagine SJax isn't on the market for too long as plenty of teams have needs at RB and he's still a beast running the ball.
_______________________________________

User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 50713
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 104,894.92
DigitalDominators wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:If they signed Jackson I think Quizz would be the change of pace guy. I think they realize he's not a full-time, 3-down player and that's why they would want Steven Jackson.

Interesting Quote from coach Smith talking about Quizz though:
“He can handle all three downs and he does a very good job for us returning kicks,” Smith said. “We were very transparent back in March of last year in terms of how we were going to put together our offense. That we were not going to have a featured back. That we were going to have carries dispersed amongst a number of guys and I think Jacquizz took advantage of his opportunities.”

Use this quote to try and sell Quizz now. He might be the lead guy, but I would be stunned if he is the feature back. Someone else will be brought in, either in free agency or day 2 of the draft. I don't think the free agent will be a high priced one either.
_______________________________________

Follow me @mchamberlin32
Megalodon
Posts: 17323
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 22,132.42
pwbowen wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:
DigitalDominators wrote:
The Atlanta Falcons today announced that they have released defensive end John Abraham, cornerback Dunta Robinson, and running back Michael Turner.

“As a football coach it is never easy to cut any player, especially veteran players who have been valuable members of the organization,” Falcons head coach Mike Smith said. “The guys we released today have contributed to the success that we have had over the last five years, and we greatly appreciate their efforts.”

Source: http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Falcons-Release-Turner-Robinson-Abraham/c294f375-010a-4bdd-8488-376c2a00459a

You knew it was coming. We appreciate the service you 3 provided no doubt. Question though. We are talking about getting younger -- but the talk of adding Steven Jackson has hit a fever pitch. Isn't he going to be 30? Just a change of pace for Quizz?


If they signed Jackson I think Quizz would be the change of pace guy. I think they realize he's not a full-time, 3-down player and that's why they would want Steven Jackson.


An Sjax (primary back) combo would be pretty scary considering whats already there, but i disagree somewhat w/the highlighted part.

Im as well versed in coach speak as the next guy (ie we're all guessing and projecting), but the ATL Coaches (and FO) have gone so far out of their way to say differently now that itd be a surprise to find otherwise.

EDIT: Oh, fwiw - just cause they do see him as a 3 down guy doesnt mean he will be. The list of guys that could be 3 down and then havent made it is pretty long. A few guys in WAS can testify to that.


And with wear-and-tear rate for RBs adding another guy would make a lot of sense for Atlanta. I don't see them spending the $ needed for Jackson but someone like a Shonn Greene perhaps or Bradshaw if he's out there for a while and the price isn't too bad?


Yeah - I like either of those adds better than SJax in terms of the overall. Dont get me wrong ... as a neutral itd be a great offense to watch, but if im a Falcs fan, there is more risk than just the wear n tear on his tires ...

ATL have got a few things going on salary wise: defensively, resigning Moore, Grimes? A couple of players on the OL they probably aught to try and re-sign. Then there's Tony G who will want to get paid something if hes coming back.

Draft wise, that pass rush was pretty close to being dead last and with Abraham gone time to rebuild. Not sure how much change all this would leave in the kitty for going for Sjax?

Signing Sjax would be a great move (for any team) but those other two suggestions PW mentioned would be more cost effective, if less productive.
_______________________________________

Griff is a demi-god. That is all.
Megalodon
Posts: 17323
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 22,132.42
OarChambo wrote:
DigitalDominators wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:If they signed Jackson I think Quizz would be the change of pace guy. I think they realize he's not a full-time, 3-down player and that's why they would want Steven Jackson.

Interesting Quote from coach Smith talking about Quizz though:
“He can handle all three downs and he does a very good job for us returning kicks,” Smith said. “We were very transparent back in March of last year in terms of how we were going to put together our offense. That we were not going to have a featured back. That we were going to have carries dispersed amongst a number of guys and I think Jacquizz took advantage of his opportunities.”

Use this quote to try and sell Quizz now. He might be the lead guy, but I would be stunned if he is the feature back. Someone else will be brought in, either in free agency or day 2 of the draft. I don't think the free agent will be a high priced one either.


Plenty of quotes like this from Smith, some from other coaches and players too.

If you want to sell high? May as well mention that 'Quizz outpaced Lesean in the elusiveness rankings coming in at #5 overall.

Personally, id hold. Ppl wont pay the starting back value (no pro history there) so use him as a flex/cover & see how the cards fall. Worst case youll get slightly less in trade value than now - probably to the guy with the primary back. Best case: They make good on their promises, hes the primary back and youve got a chip to trade or start.
_______________________________________

Griff is a demi-god. That is all.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 17848
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012
Sand$: 52,580.36
jamcutpost wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
DigitalDominators wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:If they signed Jackson I think Quizz would be the change of pace guy. I think they realize he's not a full-time, 3-down player and that's why they would want Steven Jackson.

Interesting Quote from coach Smith talking about Quizz though:
“He can handle all three downs and he does a very good job for us returning kicks,” Smith said. “We were very transparent back in March of last year in terms of how we were going to put together our offense. That we were not going to have a featured back. That we were going to have carries dispersed amongst a number of guys and I think Jacquizz took advantage of his opportunities.”

Use this quote to try and sell Quizz now. He might be the lead guy, but I would be stunned if he is the feature back. Someone else will be brought in, either in free agency or day 2 of the draft. I don't think the free agent will be a high priced one either.


Plenty of quotes like this from Smith, some from other coaches and players too.

If you want to sell high? May as well mention that 'Quizz outpaced Lesean in the elusiveness rankings coming in at #5 overall.

Personally, id hold. Ppl wont pay the starting back value (no pro history there) so use him as a flex/cover & see how the cards fall. Worst case youll get slightly less in trade value than now - probably to the guy with the primary back. Best case: They make good on their promises, hes the primary back and youve got a chip to trade or start.


I've only seen a couple of games of each team in question (PHI and ATL), but there's no way Quizz is more elusive than McCoy when I'm watching them play.
_______________________________________

User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 36296
Joined: Tue Sep 6, 2005
Sand$: 147,620.24
just posted on this in the free agent tracker thread

I believe they draft someone = good thing.

However I expect more than enough Jaq midget hype up until then and even after.. should get our fair share in the thread here :lol:
_______________________________________

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield
Megalodon
Posts: 17323
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009
Sand$: 22,132.42
Jcb890 wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
DigitalDominators wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:If they signed Jackson I think Quizz would be the change of pace guy. I think they realize he's not a full-time, 3-down player and that's why they would want Steven Jackson.

Interesting Quote from coach Smith talking about Quizz though:
“He can handle all three downs and he does a very good job for us returning kicks,” Smith said. “We were very transparent back in March of last year in terms of how we were going to put together our offense. That we were not going to have a featured back. That we were going to have carries dispersed amongst a number of guys and I think Jacquizz took advantage of his opportunities.”

Use this quote to try and sell Quizz now. He might be the lead guy, but I would be stunned if he is the feature back. Someone else will be brought in, either in free agency or day 2 of the draft. I don't think the free agent will be a high priced one either.


Plenty of quotes like this from Smith, some from other coaches and players too.

If you want to sell high? May as well mention that 'Quizz outpaced Lesean in the elusiveness rankings coming in at #5 overall.

Personally, id hold. Ppl wont pay the starting back value (no pro history there) so use him as a flex/cover & see how the cards fall. Worst case youll get slightly less in trade value than now - probably to the guy with the primary back. Best case: They make good on their promises, hes the primary back and youve got a chip to trade or start.


I've only seen a couple of games of each team in question (PHI and ATL), but there's no way Quizz is more elusive than McCoy when I'm watching them play.


I wouldnt say ADP is more elusive than McCoy - you just cant stop him - yet ADP > McCoy according to PFFs "elusive" rankings. Read the earlier link for a better breakdown of how its calculated. I would wholeheartedly agree that how they apply the word ("Elusive") isnt how id use it.

That said though? Quizz made more yds after contact than McCoy & He had 33 missed tackles on 94 carries vs McCoy's 46 on 200. He certainly hasnt got a highlight reel as extensive as McCoys, but then he hasnt been a featured back for the past 3 yrs either! ;)

What he used to do at Oregon St (juking and dragging 3-4 ppl with him)? Earlier this year and definitely last year (and i think ive spoken about this in another thread?) he wasnt doing that ... he was hesitant. He was going down on contact. It wasnt looking good. Since hes been given more carries though?



In short the player at the start of the year is someone id have considered trading. The guy i saw finish it off was the guy i drafted and will be keeping around for a little longer and imo is a guy who could get a chance at the starters gig. By the years end they even gave him some GL carries.

Im sure theyd take another Rb somewhere. They have to - its good roster management if nothing else.
_______________________________________

Griff is a demi-god. That is all.
Great White Shark
Posts: 8354
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004
Sand$: 40,505.60
The lead Falcon RB in 2013 (carries) is not on the roster yet.
_______________________________________

Image
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 9510
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004
Sand$: 24,313.12
Turner leaves with class... (link)

I appreciate what he did for the Falcons while here but no denying the difference between year 1 and now. Gotta keep moving forward.

So long, Burner. Best of luck.
_______________________________________

2010 NFL Challenge Champion
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 11154
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009
Sand$: 19,415.56
hankrip wrote:The lead Falcon RB in 2013 (carries) is not on the roster yet.

Agreed. SJax or a rookie will likely be it. Maybe Bradshaw if he has a clean bill of health (well, for Bradshaw anyway).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bullmarket, DigitalDominators, NautArch, Suited Aces and 1 guest