User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 34855
Joined: Sat Aug 1, 2009
Sand$: 5,371.63
The three-year extension will be worth $53 million, pushing the five-year haul to $76.5 million.

Per a source with knowledge of the terms, Stafford's signing bonus will be $27.5M via PFT



ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Lions are on the verge of a "blockbuster" extension with Matthew Stafford, and that it could be signed as early as Tuesday.
The Detroit Free Press reports Stafford's contract will be extended by three years, locking him up through 2017. He'll reportedly bring home "somewhere around" $75 million over the next five seasons, including $43 million guaranteed. Stafford's 2013 cap number is a whopping $20.8 million, but shouldn't be dramatically reduced, as the incentive to clear cap space for this season has already come and gone. Stafford's $19.3 million 2014 cap number should be slashed, however. Stafford is coming off a rocky campaign, but has piled up a gargantuan 10,005 yards passing the past two seasons. He'll be just 29 in 2017.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 50061
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 103,839.66
Good luck, next Lions regime.
_______________________________________

Follow me @mchamberlin32
User avatar
Mako Shark
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008
Sand$: 1,242.18
OarChambo wrote:Good luck, next Lions regime.


+1. This will be the worst contract in recent memory. He'll throw for a ton of yards and have a ton of people that don't actually watch the games defending him, but I'd bet the farm the he'll be under .500 for the duration of this extension.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 50061
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 103,839.66
Redzone Rockets wrote:
OarChambo wrote:Good luck, next Lions regime.


+1. This will be the worst contract in recent memory. He'll throw for a ton of yards and have a ton of people that don't actually watch the games defending him, but I'd bet the farm the he'll be under .500 for the duration of this extension.

I don't think it's that bad, although Mark Sanchez's deal last year immediately came to mind when I read about it. Stafford isn't anywhere near Sanchez's level of suckitude, obviously, but he is part of the problem in Detroit. Maybe a new staff that doesn't coddle him can get him to correct his issues whereas the current regime turns a blind eye to his many flaws that need to be corrected if they're going to be a potential winner.
_______________________________________

Follow me @mchamberlin32
User avatar
Mako Shark
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008
Sand$: 1,242.18
OarChambo wrote:
Redzone Rockets wrote:
OarChambo wrote:Good luck, next Lions regime.


+1. This will be the worst contract in recent memory. He'll throw for a ton of yards and have a ton of people that don't actually watch the games defending him, but I'd bet the farm the he'll be under .500 for the duration of this extension.

I don't think it's that bad, although Mark Sanchez's deal last year immediately came to mind when I read about it. Stafford isn't anywhere near Sanchez's level of suckitude, obviously, but he is part of the problem in Detroit. Maybe a new staff that doesn't coddle him can get him to correct his issues whereas the current regime turns a blind eye to his many flaws that need to be corrected if they're going to be a potential winner.



I don't remember the exact numbers of the Sanchez contract, but it was for substantially less, right? This hamstrings the Lions worse than Sanchez's contract did to Jets IMO...

I don't know. To me, Stafford's got one major attribute: :bazooka:

Other than that, what's he good at? His accuracy is borderline terrible, which has been a knock since his time at UGA. Poor situationally. Not a running threat. Favre mentality, doesn't seem like much of a student of the game based on his decision making. I guess his accuracy might tick up with some work on his mechanics. I think he's Jeff George with a little better head on his shoulders.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 44966
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005
Sand$: 43,228.54
Redzone Rockets wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
Redzone Rockets wrote:
OarChambo wrote:Good luck, next Lions regime.


+1. This will be the worst contract in recent memory. He'll throw for a ton of yards and have a ton of people that don't actually watch the games defending him, but I'd bet the farm the he'll be under .500 for the duration of this extension.

I don't think it's that bad, although Mark Sanchez's deal last year immediately came to mind when I read about it. Stafford isn't anywhere near Sanchez's level of suckitude, obviously, but he is part of the problem in Detroit. Maybe a new staff that doesn't coddle him can get him to correct his issues whereas the current regime turns a blind eye to his many flaws that need to be corrected if they're going to be a potential winner.



I don't remember the exact numbers of the Sanchez contract, but it was for substantially less, right? This hamstrings the Lions worse than Sanchez's contract did to Jets IMO...

I don't know. To me, Stafford's got one major attribute: :bazooka:

Other than that, what's he good at? His accuracy is borderline terrible, which has been a knock since his time at UGA. Poor situationally. Not a running threat. Favre mentality, doesn't seem like much of a student of the game based on his decision making. I guess his accuracy might tick up with some work on his mechanics. I think he's Jeff George with a little better head on his shoulders.


A lot of the issues at uga were him trying to force passes into bad spots and also supposedly butting heads with QB coach and disregard for coaching advice.
_______________________________________

34-17/ 29-7 / 34-13 / 27-17 / 31-17

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

Cause if my eyes don't deceive me, there's something goin' wrong around here.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 44966
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005
Sand$: 43,228.54
Redzone Rockets wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
Redzone Rockets wrote:
OarChambo wrote:Good luck, next Lions regime.


+1. This will be the worst contract in recent memory. He'll throw for a ton of yards and have a ton of people that don't actually watch the games defending him, but I'd bet the farm the he'll be under .500 for the duration of this extension.

I don't think it's that bad, although Mark Sanchez's deal last year immediately came to mind when I read about it. Stafford isn't anywhere near Sanchez's level of suckitude, obviously, but he is part of the problem in Detroit. Maybe a new staff that doesn't coddle him can get him to correct his issues whereas the current regime turns a blind eye to his many flaws that need to be corrected if they're going to be a potential winner.



I don't remember the exact numbers of the Sanchez contract, but it was for substantially less, right? This hamstrings the Lions worse than Sanchez's contract did to Jets IMO...

I don't know. To me, Stafford's got one major attribute: :bazooka:

Other than that, what's he good at? His accuracy is borderline terrible, which has been a knock since his time at UGA. Poor situationally. Not a running threat. Favre mentality, doesn't seem like much of a student of the game based on his decision making. I guess his accuracy might tick up with some work on his mechanics. I think he's Jeff George with a little better head on his shoulders.


A lot of the issues at uga were him trying to force passes into bad spots and also supposedly butting heads with QB coach and disregard for coaching advice.
_______________________________________

34-17/ 29-7 / 34-13 / 27-17 / 31-17

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

Cause if my eyes don't deceive me, there's something goin' wrong around here.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 28634
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006
Sand$: 39,248.96
59.8% career is borderline terrible?
_______________________________________

House of Purgatory Champion - 2014, 2015

"Don't plant your flag on Mount Saint Jackass" - Sean Baligian
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 50061
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 103,839.66
getdownmmmkay wrote:59.8% career is borderline terrible?

No, but it's not good either. It further helps in the poor mechanics and decision making narrative too.
_______________________________________

Follow me @mchamberlin32
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 28634
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006
Sand$: 39,248.96
won't argue against those. his game needs refining. mentioned this when i was complaining about how jaworski hates him.
_______________________________________

House of Purgatory Champion - 2014, 2015

"Don't plant your flag on Mount Saint Jackass" - Sean Baligian
User avatar
Mako Shark
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008
Sand$: 1,242.18
getdownmmmkay wrote:59.8% career is borderline terrible?



In this NFL, yeah I think it is. Not fully terrible though, just borderline. :D Especially with the YPA down. Also and this isn't provable, but I think Megatron's size and ability to go get balls covers up his accuracy problem a bit too. Maybe worth 2%? I don't know. I think Reggie Bush actually helps that a lot if he can stay healthy, they should try to get him 5-7 catches a game.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 34855
Joined: Sat Aug 1, 2009
Sand$: 5,371.63
As a Jets fan, I wish I had the Lions problems at QB
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 17391
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012
Sand$: 52,148.76
endzoneview wrote:As a Jets fan, I wish I had the Lions problems at QB


This deal will be nowhere near the blunder Sanchez's contract was. They gave Sanchez a whole bunch of guaranteed money he didn't deserve because they were worried bringing Tebow into town would hurt Sanchez's feelings. So, now they're stuck with Sanchez collecting a bunch of guaranteed money when they don't even want the guy on the team. Also, Matt Stafford isn't nearly as bad as Sanchez is. Not even close.
_______________________________________

User avatar
Mako Shark
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008
Sand$: 1,242.18
endzoneview wrote:As a Jets fan, I wish I had the Lions problems at QB



I don't blame you, and I agree. Of course he's better than Sanchez. Of course he's better than a lot of people. He's probably around the 18th-20th best QB in the NFL right now and he's young.

He's been, and it looks like he'll continue to get paid like a top ~5 QB though when he's not even in that universe.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 34855
Joined: Sat Aug 1, 2009
Sand$: 5,371.63
Jcb890 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:As a Jets fan, I wish I had the Lions problems at QB


This deal will be nowhere near the blunder Sanchez's contract was. They gave Sanchez a whole bunch of guaranteed money he didn't deserve because they were worried bringing Tebow into town would hurt Sanchez's feelings. So, now they're stuck with Sanchez collecting a bunch of guaranteed money when they don't even want the guy on the team. Also, Matt Stafford isn't nearly as bad as Sanchez is. Not even close.


Umm, yeah, that's why I said I wish I had the Lions "problem" at QB.

And for the record, yes, the Jets guaranteed his two years salary for 2012 and 2013, but the "$40M extension" really only resulted in $2.75M in new money AND at the time created nearly $7M in cap space that was needed. And it wasn't Tebow, it was the flirting with Peyton Manning that people believe led to the new contract. The Jets traded for Tebow a couple weeks after the "extension".

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chavez, Dutchmaster17, FungoWhere, jscrape56, prplhz14 and 7 guests