FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Wed 04.23.2014, 04:54

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 14:10 

Sand$: 40242
Donate
nyj.gif
Quote:
The three-year extension will be worth $53 million, pushing the five-year haul to $76.5 million.

Per a source with knowledge of the terms, Stafford's signing bonus will be $27.5M via PFT

Quote:
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Lions are on the verge of a "blockbuster" extension with Matthew Stafford, and that it could be signed as early as Tuesday.
The Detroit Free Press reports Stafford's contract will be extended by three years, locking him up through 2017. He'll reportedly bring home "somewhere around" $75 million over the next five seasons, including $43 million guaranteed. Stafford's 2013 cap number is a whopping $20.8 million, but shouldn't be dramatically reduced, as the incentive to clear cap space for this season has already come and gone. Stafford's $19.3 million 2014 cap number should be slashed, however. Stafford is coming off a rocky campaign, but has piled up a gargantuan 10,005 yards passing the past two seasons. He'll be just 29 in 2017.

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 14:15 

Sand$: 94469
Donate
Good luck, next Lions regime.

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 14:38 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1232
Donate
dal.gif
OarChambo wrote:

+1. This will be the worst contract in recent memory. He'll throw for a ton of yards and have a ton of people that don't actually watch the games defending him, but I'd bet the farm the he'll be under .500 for the duration of this extension.

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 15:16 

Donate
Redzone Rockets wrote:
OarChambo wrote:

+1. This will be the worst contract in recent memory. He'll throw for a ton of yards and have a ton of people that don't actually watch the games defending him, but I'd bet the farm the he'll be under .500 for the duration of this extension.

I don't think it's that bad, although Mark Sanchez's deal last year immediately came to mind when I read about it. Stafford isn't anywhere near Sanchez's level of suckitude, obviously, but he is part of the problem in Detroit. Maybe a new staff that doesn't coddle him can get him to correct his issues whereas the current regime turns a blind eye to his many flaws that need to be corrected if they're going to be a potential winner.

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 15:30 
Mako Shark

Donate
dal.gif
OarChambo wrote:
Redzone Rockets wrote:
OarChambo wrote:

I don't think it's that bad, although Mark Sanchez's deal last year immediately came to mind when I read about it. Stafford isn't anywhere near Sanchez's level of suckitude, obviously, but he is part of the problem in Detroit. Maybe a new staff that doesn't coddle him can get him to correct his issues whereas the current regime turns a blind eye to his many flaws that need to be corrected if they're going to be a potential winner.

I don't remember the exact numbers of the Sanchez contract, but it was for substantially less, right? This hamstrings the Lions worse than Sanchez's contract did to Jets IMO...

I don't know. To me, Stafford's got one major attribute: :bazooka:

Other than that, what's he good at? His accuracy is borderline terrible, which has been a knock since his time at UGA. Poor situationally. Not a running threat. Favre mentality, doesn't seem like much of a student of the game based on his decision making. I guess his accuracy might tick up with some work on his mechanics. I think he's Jeff George with a little better head on his shoulders.

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 15:33 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33447
Donate
car.gif
Redzone Rockets wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
Redzone Rockets wrote:
OarChambo wrote:

I don't remember the exact numbers of the Sanchez contract, but it was for substantially less, right? This hamstrings the Lions worse than Sanchez's contract did to Jets IMO...

Other than that, what's he good at? His accuracy is borderline terrible, which has been a knock since his time at UGA. Poor situationally. Not a running threat. Favre mentality, doesn't seem like much of a student of the game based on his decision making. I guess his accuracy might tick up with some work on his mechanics. I think he's Jeff George with a little better head on his shoulders.

A lot of the issues at uga were him trying to force passes into bad spots and also supposedly butting heads with QB coach and disregard for coaching advice.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a beetch.

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 15:33 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33447
Donate
car.gif
Redzone Rockets wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
Redzone Rockets wrote:
OarChambo wrote:

A lot of the issues at uga were him trying to force passes into bad spots and also supposedly butting heads with QB coach and disregard for coaching advice.

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a beetch.

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 15:35 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 38494
Donate
det.gif
59.8% career is borderline terrible?

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 15:38 

Donate
getdownmmmkay wrote:

No, but it's not good either. It further helps in the poor mechanics and decision making narrative too.

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 15:50 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 38494
Donate
det.gif
won't argue against those. his game needs refining. mentioned this when i was complaining about how jaworski hates him.

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 15:50 
Mako Shark

Donate
dal.gif
getdownmmmkay wrote:

In this NFL, yeah I think it is. Not fully terrible though, just borderline. :D Especially with the YPA down. Also and this isn't provable, but I think Megatron's size and ability to go get balls covers up his accuracy problem a bit too. Maybe worth 2%? I don't know. I think Reggie Bush actually helps that a lot if he can stay healthy, they should try to get him 5-7 catches a game.

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 15:51 

Donate
nyj.gif
As a Jets fan, I wish I had the Lions problems at QB

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 15:53 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 17276
Donate
ne.gif
endzoneview wrote:

This deal will be nowhere near the blunder Sanchez's contract was. They gave Sanchez a whole bunch of guaranteed money he didn't deserve because they were worried bringing Tebow into town would hurt Sanchez's feelings. So, now they're stuck with Sanchez collecting a bunch of guaranteed money when they don't even want the guy on the team. Also, Matt Stafford isn't nearly as bad as Sanchez is. Not even close.

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 15:58 
Mako Shark

Donate
dal.gif
endzoneview wrote:

I don't blame you, and I agree. Of course he's better than Sanchez. Of course he's better than a lot of people. He's probably around the 18th-20th best QB in the NFL right now and he's young.

He's been, and it looks like he'll continue to get paid like a top ~5 QB though when he's not even in that universe.

PostPosted: Tue 07.09.2013, 16:06 

Donate
nyj.gif
Jcb890 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

This deal will be nowhere near the blunder Sanchez's contract was. They gave Sanchez a whole bunch of guaranteed money he didn't deserve because they were worried bringing Tebow into town would hurt Sanchez's feelings. So, now they're stuck with Sanchez collecting a bunch of guaranteed money when they don't even want the guy on the team. Also, Matt Stafford isn't nearly as bad as Sanchez is. Not even close.

Umm, yeah, that's why I said I wish I had the Lions "problem" at QB.

And for the record, yes, the Jets guaranteed his two years salary for 2012 and 2013, but the "$40M extension" really only resulted in $2.75M in new money AND at the time created nearly $7M in cap space that was needed. And it wasn't Tebow, it was the flirting with Peyton Manning that people believe led to the new contract. The Jets traded for Tebow a couple weeks after the "extension".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next