FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Mon 12.22.2014, 02:47

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 08:54 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 10355
Donate
There have been some main page articles touting Arian Foster, Doug Martin, and Jamaal Charles as the top overall pick, but ADP is still the consensus #1 almost everywhere you look. Now that the preseason is underway, I'm curious to hear some tank opinions on who they'd take after Purple Jesus, assuming he goes 1st overall.

For my 2 cents, I think it has to be Arian Foster given his situation and track record both as a rusher and a receiver out of the backfield. Jamaal Charles holds a lot of interest as well, especially in PPR. But the injury situation for both these backs has me a little concered.

12-Team PPR (post-firesale)
QB - Smith, Sanchez, Hoyer
RB - Crowell, Denard, Blue, Cadet, Thompson
WR - Alshon, Matthews, Watkins, Sanu, S. Johnson, Hogan
TE - VD, Rivera
K - Parkey
Def - 8 IDP

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 09:05 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 8017
Donate
jax.gif
non-ppr at 1.2.

Conservative drafters:
A.Foster
M.Lynch
D.Martin
R.Rice
L McCoy

Gamblers:
J.Charles
CJ Spiller
T Richardson

Any of the 8 above would not shock me to go 1.2 in my drafts.

I can't remember a year where the consensus 2nd RB off board is this divided.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 09:12 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 27170
Donate
ne.gif
In my 1/2 PPR league I have the #2 pick. I think I'm going to take Doug Martin. Foster worries me. To me, it is between Charles and Martin.

EDIT - I am anticipating the guy at #1 takes Peterson, otherwise I would be more than happy to take Peterson at #2!

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 09:14 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37760
Donate
chi.gif
If he gets through the preseason without any new health concerns, I really like Charles at 2, especially for ppr. He's legitimately a threat for 2000 total yards this season. Look at Brian Westbrook's '06 & '07 seasons for an indication of his ceiling in Reid's offense.

That doesn't mean I don't like Foster, Spiller, Martin, Richardson, Rice or McCoy, and a good argument can be made for any of them, it just means I have Charles pegged for a huge season.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 09:16 
Tiger Shark

Sand$: 604
Donate
phi.gif
A lot of people might balk at it, but in non-PPR formats, I'm taking Marshawn. I don't think he'll finish the year with second overall

numbers, I just think he's safe and consistent. No real injury woes. I think the back spasms are a veteran trick to get out of practice.

I love the consistency the most though. Hes not likely to run for 200 yards any week of the season, but I'm ok with that because he's

unlikely to have a dud game. I need those Fpts every week.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 09:18 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 2858
Donate
ne.gif
Last year with Rice/McCoy/Foster all being argued as the #1 was sort of similar. I didn't really buy any of it, Foster was the clear #1 last year, but you had a lot of debate about those three as I recall.

This year it's pretty much the same. Foster (after AP obviously).

Sure, the 'injury risk' is always talked about, but since anyone can get injured I kind of blow it off. The nice thing is that you probably can't go too wrong with the top 7-8 RBs, sure we will have our reasons for believing this or that about injury risk/team quality/age/... But in the end, all of those guys should put up strong seasons.

Still, to me, AP/Foster for non-ppr seems the most logical. PPR you can make more arguments for #2, but I don't think Foster really drops that far anyway. The top4 of AP/Foster/Martin/Charles seems pretty solid to me at least.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 09:28 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 1516
Donate
dal.gif
Martin/Charles
If I'm picking 2nd I don't want consistent or steady, I want potential to be the #1 RB for the season.

Nobody here concerned about Foster/Peterson and the touches from last season? I kind of exclude AP from the normal human being type conversations but I have my concerns with Foster, especially being dinged up already and a decent back up.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 09:34 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 27170
Donate
ne.gif
greenhornet wrote:
Martin/Charles
If I'm picking 2nd I don't want consistent or steady, I want potential to be the #1 RB for the season.

Nobody here concerned about Foster/Peterson and the touches from last season? I kind of exclude AP from the normal human being type conversations but I have my concerns with Foster, especially being dinged up already and a decent back up.

Adrian Peterson is from another planet. I'm not worried about his touches this year or probably even for next year.

Foster I'm worried about because he picks up so many nicks and bruises and he's had troublesome hamstrings the last couple of years. Can Foster finish 2nd? Sure. I'll take Martin's upside over Foster though.

Martin had some huge games and some lower-scoring games. The lower-scoring ones were when TB was getting blown out and they had to try and throw to keep up/catch up. I think there will be a little less of that in TB this year with their improvements on D. I also think the TB O-line is going to be as good or better than Houston's. Houston's line play didn't seem as good last year as it did 2 years ago with Winston @ RT.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 09:38 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37760
Donate
chi.gif
greenhornet wrote:
Martin/Charles

Not worried at all about Peterson, as clearly his body works differently than those of normal humans.
I think Foster's still a good bet to lead the league in TDs, but I do expect his workload and yardage to drop a bit, simply because it's in the Texans' best interest to keep him as healthy as possible so he can be their workhorse in the playoffs and Tate is certainly capable of taking on more carries.
With that said, I've still got him in the top 5.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 10:30 
SandShark

Sand$: 228
Donate
not to have another thread derailed by nickname semantics...

but Adrian Peterson is AP.
ADP is Average Draft Position.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 10:33 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 36290
Donate
mia.gif
Psilo wrote:
not to have another thread derailed by nickname semantics...

but Adrian Peterson is AP.
ADP is Average Draft Position.

All Day Peterson. Learn context, and you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 10:42 
SandShark

Donate
i get the context... but i get flak for calling Bowe "DBO"?

I'm pretty sure ADP referring to Average Draft Position has been around long before Adrian Peterson was even playing football.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 10:44 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 36290
Donate
mia.gif
Psilo wrote:

I'm pretty sure ADP referring to Average Draft Position has been around long before Adrian Peterson was even playing football.

Context. Who is going to read this and think, "how in the world is average draft position being drafted in a league???" Everyone knows who it was referring to, including the person choosing to take issue with it.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 10:48 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 8017
Donate
jax.gif
Psilo wrote:

You get flak b/c the guy has only 4 letters in his last name which apprently is too many for you, so you cut down to 2.

Peterson has 7 more letters in last name, so it makes sense atleast.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 10:48 
SandShark

Donate
TBH, when i started to read it I thought it was referring to some ADP chart being obtuse or even disregarded.

so yeah, there was some clarity muddled by ambiguity.