FantasySharks.com

There are two types of Fantasy Football Owners: Sharks and Chum, which are you?
It is currently Wed 07.30.2014, 18:17

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: voting against trades...
PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 10:24 
SandShark

Sand$: 228
Donate
what do you guys think about voting against trades when it is highly doubtful that collusion is happening?

for 3 years running there has been a guy in my league that seems to make 1 really stupid trade. currently he is trading away Brandon Marshall for Miles Austin + Mike Wallace.
I sincerely doubt collusion, but it is still so early in the preseason that voting against the trade just seems unethical. Brandon Marshall could get hurt and then the trade looks like pure genius.

frankly, i haven't really ever seen a FF trade that i didn't think was lopsided at the time. So how do you decide when to vote against trades? is a shadow of doubt of collusion enough, or do you just vote against any trade that you don't like?

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 10:31 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 37330
Donate
chi.gif
no.

That's my only thought on voting against trades.
If you can't trust that the people in your league are making moves that they believe are in their best interest, get a new league. It's not your job to determine what is or isn't a good trade.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 10:32 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 31705
Donate
mia.gif
This comes up every year.

http://tinyurl.com/l73h9sj

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 10:38 
SandShark

Sand$: 228
Donate
well, im not really asking for advice here. Just filling the preseason void asking peoples opinions on whether or not they are of the "all is fair in love, war and FF" or if they think the commish should just have veto power if collusion is detected.

lets say it is week 4 and the guy you are about to play has a trade lined up that will almost ensure you lose to him... do you vote against the trade even though it is legit?

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 10:41 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 31705
Donate
mia.gif
It's not a new discussion. 99% of people here will tell you:

A) only the commish should have veto power for cases of collusion
B) any owener in a league that allows trade voting who votes against other team's trades because he might lose should stop playing fantasy football, and go become a wet nurse.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 11:37 
Whale Shark

Sand$: 2681
Donate
sf.gif
In my money league we try to do everything by consensus. And for most stuff it works great. Two years ago I had a trade vetoed not because it was lopsided, but because it made my team better and there were other play-off teams that didn't want that to happen. The trade made both teams better, but the other team was already out of the play-offs and just trying to not come in last.

I was so upset by this I almost didn't come back. The only reason I'm still in that league is because we've changed the veto to comish only. I'm fairly easy going about FFL I see it as a dumb game, and a way to pass some time. This is the one time that I was ready to walk away. The temptation to use your veto powers to sabotage another team is just too strong for some people.

Now that was a fair trade, but even if a trade is unfair I don't believe in protecting idiots from themselves. I guess this is a long way of me saying I agree with everyone else, but I will add I would never play in another league where trade veto was done by vote.

TE: Jordan

1 20 passing
1 10 rushing/receiving
1 PPR, 12 man league.
All TDs 6 Points.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 11:47 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 9597
Donate
hou2.gif
Trade voting is a farce. I have never seen trade voting used justly and for its intended purpose. A league is better off just dealing with potential collusion on an ad hoc basis after it's perpetrated.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 13:18 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 56409
Donate
min.gif
Collusion is nearly impossible to prove, which is a problem.
I tend to call a spade a spade when terrible trades happen. Maybe social pressure will prevent it in the future. If not, suck it up or leave the league.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 13:34 
Mako Shark

Sand$: 2050
Donate
gb.gif
does your league vote on other people's draft picks? how about their waiver or free agent add/drops?

why would you pick only 1 of the transactions a team can do to vote on?

it's their fantasy, let them live it how they want.

to me there are only 2 options. commish veto, or no trading at all.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 13:57 
Supreme Megalodon
Supreme Megalodon

Sand$: 33024
Donate
car.gif
Psilo wrote:
what do you guys think about voting against trades when it is highly doubtful that collusion is happening?

for 3 years running there has been a guy in my league that seems to make 1 really stupid trade. currently he is trading away Brandon Marshall for Miles Austin + Mike Wallace.
I sincerely doubt collusion, but it is still so early in the preseason that voting against the trade just seems unethical. Brandon Marshall could get hurt and then the trade looks like pure genius.

frankly, i haven't really ever seen a FF trade that i didn't think was lopsided at the time. So how do you decide when to vote against trades? is a shadow of doubt of collusion enough, or do you just vote against any trade that you don't like?

And how did your prognostication work out? Often trades that look lopsided end up fairly even or actually lopsided in an unexpected way. I'd say I'm often surprised by how trades end up. The best trades I've ever pulled were the ones that I proposed that got rejected. #-o

No one knows what players will do and unless there's collusion there's ZERO reason to start vetoing trades. If you knew who was going to do what then your team would be loaded and you'd never lose.

Owners vote to veto trades for sheety reasons: one team will get too strong, they wanted to get that guy, they would have given more and sometimes just cause they are an azzhole and don't like that owner.

If you don't trust your commish's judgement, why do you have him running a league? And you're letting this guy hold money? :-k

2010 & 2011 Baseball National Champs

I was the smartest person I knew, certainly I had wherewithal to unravel the mysteries that lay at the heart of a moron.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 16:11 
SandShark

Sand$: 260
Donate
mia.gif
If no collusion, I would not vote down a trade.

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 17:21 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13263
Donate
pwbowen wrote:
Psilo wrote:

And how did your prognostication work out? Often trades that look lopsided end up fairly even or actually lopsided in an unexpected way. I'd say I'm often surprised by how trades end up. The best trades I've ever pulled were the ones that I proposed that got rejected. #-o

No one knows what players will do and unless there's collusion there's ZERO reason to start vetoing trades. If you knew who was going to do what then your team would be loaded and you'd never lose.

Owners vote to veto trades for sheety reasons: one team will get too strong, they wanted to get that guy, they would have given more and sometimes just cause they are an azzhole and don't like that owner.

If you don't trust your commish's judgement, why do you have him running a league? And you're letting this guy hold money? :-k

Couldn't agree more.

Last year, I made a two-for-two trade, and acquired Chris Johnson for TBMW.

The CJ owner also had AP and Morris, and CJ hadn't done much.

He also had a situation with bye weeks and injuries where he didn't have enough WRs for the next game.

When the trade went down, some owners complained that it was a lopsided deal (even thought CJ was averaging only 8 ppg at the time). Of course, none of them spotted and pursued the opportunity like I did.

Well, TBMW scored 25 points that week and helped my trade partner win his game. And he finished as the #17 WR for the season.

Oh, and he and I ended up in the title game, so it was a true win-win trade.

I have no patience or sympathy for trade vetoes.

Cutler, Ben
Forte, AndreB, Vereen, Trent, Starks
Andre, VJax, Torrey, Cooper, Cordy, Terrance
Martellus, Wright
CIN

Lost to INJ/dope/Shanny: Cobb-Wayne-MJames/Blackmon/RGIII

10-4, 1 seed,

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 17:36 
Blue Shark

Sand$: 278
Donate
sea.gif
I agree with the others. Unless two or more teams are colluding, there's no need to vote no on any trade. Nothing upsets me more than when people start whining about unfair trades that I've made (or others) when in fact all they are is jealous that they weren't able to pull it off themselves.

WR: Jeffrey, Douglas, Boykin, Nicks, Washington
TE: H Miller, Pitta
K: Novak
DEF: CAR

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 17:39 
Megalodon
Megalodon

Sand$: 39102
Donate
pit.gif
Psilo wrote:

that's the trade that brought up this question? why

PostPosted: Fri 08.16.2013, 17:47 
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Sand$: 13263
Donate
rugger48 wrote:
Psilo wrote:

that's the trade that brought up this question? why

As Bill Simmons would say, that's trading a dollar for two fifty-cent pieces.

But if sure as hell isn't collusion and the guy getting trading Marshall may prefer two starters to one superstar.

Cutler, Ben
Forte, AndreB, Vereen, Trent, Starks
Andre, VJax, Torrey, Cooper, Cordy, Terrance
Martellus, Wright
CIN

Lost to INJ/dope/Shanny: Cobb-Wayne-MJames/Blackmon/RGIII

10-4, 1 seed,