1. Houston Texans [Elmagister] Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
– This will not be the pick even though it should. Tank – 1, Bill O’Brien – 0.
2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins) [Griffimo] Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson –
I want to like this pick, but it just isn’t going to happen. St. Louis has invested a lot of resources into its wide receiver corps recently, with mostly poor results, and continuing to pursue that position does not mix with coach Jeff Fisher football. However, Watkins plays with a nastiness that is a staple of Fisher football, so if management is able to sell him on the idea of another receiver, there is a possibility he will buy-in.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars [Markulous] Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina –
If he falls this far he will be the pick, but I have a feeling I will look back on their draft unfavorably and it will be a domino effect from this pick.
4. Cleveland Browns [Bluebeards]
Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn –
Many will be surprised by this pick, but I won’t. Underwhelmed? Yes, but I can see a plan built around him. That said, Bridgewater will likely be available in the real thing, and, if Cleveland passes on him, you won’t want to be within throwing distance of me.
5. Oakland Raiders [R2000]
Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo –
Mack will be a very nice tool for the new regime that takes over in 2015 to play with.
6. Atlanta Falcons –
Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M –
This is a logical pick. I do not expect the Falcons to be logical on draft day, it goes against their M.O. They will make a splash and continue to ignore all of the leaks throughout the team that has them drafting sixth in the first place.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers [Jetsman]
Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M –
This seems way too exciting to be a pick made by Lovie Smith, but it also makes too much sense.
8. Minnesota Vikings [Unismw] Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida –
He shouldn’t see the field until at least December, but there are front office jobs here that need success this year, so he will get forced on the field before he is ready. This will end badly.
9. Buffalo Bills [jamcutpost] Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
– He shouldn’t fall this far, but because he is a couple inches shorter than teams want he probably will, and maybe more, pure silliness. This guy is filthy. If Mike Zimmer gets his way Donald will not make it past Minnesota.
10. Detroit Lions [GDMK] Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA –
There are lots of things the Lions could do here and a lot of them are bad. This is not, but is it enough to save a front office in need of a playoff run? I’m not so sure, which has me thinking this will not be their pick draft day.
11. Tennessee Titans [Consensus] Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State –
His raw tools fit defensive coordinator Ray Horton’s defense, but the thought of spending an early one on Gilbert is very unsettling. His game needs a lot of refinement and some issues may not be correctable.
12. New York Giants [Bluemist]
Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
– I am having a hard time seeing the Giants pass on
if he is available here. Lewan is safe and fills a need, but how much better are they really with this pick?
13. St. Louis Rams [Griffimo]
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama –
Unlike the first pick, this has coach Jeff Fisher written all over it.
14. Chicago Bears [Vonbeasy]
CJ Mosley, LB, Alabama –
One part of me asks, do the Bears really need another linebacker? But another says they probably should spend this entire draft on defense, and Mosley is arguably the best available here, by a lot.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers [jesteva] Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina –
Hey, NFL. Please don’t let this happen. The Steelers have made a habit in recent years of making lousy picks and this one certainly would not be one. He should be drafted earlier.
16. Dallas Cowboys [625James]
Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville –
Johnny Manziel is available here; will owner Jerry Jones resist? Pryor is the logical pick, Manziel seems like the Jones pick.
17. Baltimore Ravens [Kaleb] Marqise Lee, WR, USC –
General manager Ozzie Newsome knows how to draft.
18. New York Jets [EZV] Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State –
Definitely a coach Rex Ryan type of player. He’ll never be a special player, but there’s nothing about his game that says he will be anything worse than a very good starter.
19. Miami Dolphins [Elmagister]
Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia –
If a starting tackle is available here and the Dolphins don’t pick him …
20. Arizona Cardinals [Taglos]
Zach Martin, OT, Notre Dame –
Rinse and repeat.
21. Green Bay Packers [Jnadke] Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State –
Interesting pick. Not bad interesting, but I’m not sure if it’s good interesting, either. It definitely doesn’t fit the general manager Ted Thompson model, but if coached up, Shazier could be a special player. I think
or Dee Ford make a lot more sense though.
22. Philadelphia Eagles [phillyphaithful]
Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech –
It would not be an overcorrection if the Eagles spend the entire draft on defense; it’s that bad and the offense is that good. To make things even better, I think Fuller has similar upside to Gilbert and is further along in his development right now.
23. Kansas City Chiefs [Consensus]
Xavier Su’a–Filo, OL, UCLA –
Coach Andy Reid loves linemen.
25. San Diego Chargers [sctroyfan]
Jason Verrett, CB, TCU –
The defensive backfield has been a big problem in San Diego for some time and this would be a great solution to that problem. Only issue with Verrett, and it’s a legitimate one, being that little guys that are constantly injured have a difficult time overcoming that problem.
26. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis Colts) [Bluebeards] Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M –
I cannot imagine he falls all the way to 26 in the real thing, but if he does, this pick has to be made since the Tank is smarter than Houston and Bridgewater was unavailable at 4.
28. Carolina Panthers [pwbowen]
Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama –
His bad tape is exceptionally bad and there are way too many (bad) rumors about his knees. Even if his medical checks out, there is still that bad game tape to overcome. Starting tackles can’t make one or two awful mistakes per game and Kouandijo routinely does.
29. New England Patriots [Jcb90] Timmy Jernigan, NT, Florida State –
Bye bye, Vince Wilfork.
30. San Francisco 49ers [Lundy Love] Odell Beckham Jr, WR, LSU –
He’s still available? Won’t happen in the real thing, but even if general manager Trent Baalke disagrees with coach Jim Harbaugh about picking him, one can’t fault Harbaugh for hurling him out of a balcony window for suggesting passing on him, and everyone knows Harbaugh wants to do that anyway.
31. Denver Broncos [Chavez]
Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State –
Granted this pick was made before his most recent arrest, but he’s not going to be a Day 1 pick anymore. Bad behavior has crept into his life over the last year-plus and this is just another one to add to the belt. If his play justified the risk it’d be one thing, but his play fell drastically along with his behavior over the last year.
32. Seattle Seahawks [Pinksheets] Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State –
I find it real hard to question what coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider do in the draft, for obvious reasons, but Benjamin? I got to trust my eyes here – he’s a bum.