User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 37403
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 10,035.94
I wonder how this film is going to survive the controversy around it's filmmaker this week.

For those unaware, Nate Parker was charged with rape as a sophomore in college then acquitted. Reports indicate he harassed the girl until she left school. Four years ago, presumably plagued by the ordeal, she killed herself.

Parker has been making the media rounds to attempt to quell the uproar.

I'm personally conflicted. The guy was found innocent (he claims it was consensual) but his actions after the trial, if true, are appalling. He has been steadfast with his defense and has expressed some level of empathy for the woman but has come short of apologizing, obviously maintaining he did nothing wrong.

So with all that said, the film is supposed to be the front runner for the Oscars, it blew everyone away on the festival circuit and it was sold to a distributor for a record amount.

I guess we'll see if the audience comes out.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 18230
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004
Sand$: 10,752.26
From the phone transcripts I read between Nate Parker and the victim he sounds like piece of trash

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.co ... rpt-wm.pdf


Film is currently tracking below 10m
_______________________________________

Twitter :@Adenchiz
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 6341
Joined: Thu Nov 8, 2007
Sand$: 7,078.26
Kaleb.09 wrote:From the phone transcripts I read between Nate Parker and the victim he sounds like piece of trash

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.co ... rpt-wm.pdf


Film is currently tracking below 10m


I just read that entire thing and I don't come away thinking he's a piece of trash. I can totally understand the media circus because he was charged and the girl later killed herself, but those transcripts don't leave me feeling like he's a total scumbag or guilty of anything.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 6341
Joined: Thu Nov 8, 2007
Sand$: 7,078.26
If nothing else this album/soundtrack is sounding awesome on first listen. Any hip hop fans should probably check it out.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 37403
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 10,035.94
icemen55 wrote:
Kaleb.09 wrote:From the phone transcripts I read between Nate Parker and the victim he sounds like piece of trash

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.co ... rpt-wm.pdf


Film is currently tracking below 10m


I just read that entire thing and I don't come away thinking he's a piece of trash. I can totally understand the media circus because he was charged and the girl later killed herself, but those transcripts don't leave me feeling like he's a total scumbag or guilty of anything.


yeah, nothing earth shattering in those transcripts to me either.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 37403
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 10,035.94
Here's a good story on how Nate Parker is screwing himself in the media -

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/n ... our-936102

If Birth doesn't open close to $10m, I doubt he gets a chance to make another film. We'll see.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 6341
Joined: Thu Nov 8, 2007
Sand$: 7,078.26
He's obviously an idiot for not playing the game. I can only imagine how hard that must be to face those questions though when deep down he truly feels he didn't do wrong (especially with the court agreeing), but it really shouldn't be hard to show some empathy, genuine or not, for what the girl went through and her tragic demise.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 37403
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 10,035.94
right. If anything, spin the conversation toward mental health and just admit that he was too immature to deal with it properly while maintaining he did nothing illegal.

I actually saw his embarrassing interview on Good Morning America and he was very confrontational and arrogant. This was after his 60 Minutes interview aired the night before and he just kept chiding Robin Roberts that he already answered these questions. It was uncomfortable to say the least.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 6341
Joined: Thu Nov 8, 2007
Sand$: 7,078.26
endzoneview wrote:right. If anything, spin the conversation toward mental health and just admit that he was too immature to deal with it properly while maintaining he did nothing illegal.

I actually saw his embarrassing interview on Good Morning America and he was very confrontational and arrogant. This was after his 60 Minutes interview aired the night before and he just kept chiding Robin Roberts that he already answered these questions. It was uncomfortable to say the least.


Moran. It's not fun to play the pc game or any type of game for show but it's something necessary when you pass age 17.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests