Draft Commentary

Great White Shark
Sand$: 4,891.84
I think this draft is showing that RB late is possible. Not my preference, but looking at what is still around and what has gone this round, not too shabby.

I went with the one-round-early-if-you-want-a-guy strategy, grabbing Rice about a round earlier than his ADP, because he likely does not get back, well, maybe, but with RBs going probably not, and I truly think the talent the next two rounds at other positions is pretty even. Normally I pass on RB depth, hoping to stay healthy, but I have some risk, and no standouts at the other spots.

Solid balanced drafting going on here in the GWS league, in the past the RB whoring has left much better talent later, not this year. So a bit of zig in strategy for me.

aka Vee's Doghouse
Staff Writer, FantasySharks.com
Shark Leagues Commish, Retired
Offensive Coordinator, FantasySharks HAFAX, Retired
2004, 2008 & 2011 Great White Shark League Site Champion

Pat had god-like abilities apparently - OilersNut
HammerHead Shark
Sand$: 2,531.46
The difference this year is that RBs and WRs were being drafted at roughly the same pace through 4 rounds. Now it's swinging back toward RB. But usually the ranks of starting RBs are picked clean by now.

That said, I feel really comfortable having 3 RBs with secure jobs. I feel like I started a bit of a run which is good. It seems that WRs come out of nowhere every year and perform at a high level so I'm hoping to take advantage of that and maybe some lucky hits in the middle rounds.

2003 & 2006 Shark League Site Champion
14-time Great White Shark League
2-time Whale Shark League
Megalodon
Sand$: 52,661.80
I still feel that QBs have been going quite early or especially early this year (previous years, only the elite QBs went early, now even the 2nd tier are going earlier than usual), even in the GWS, but what do I know?
Leopard Shark
Sand$: 99.00
5.10 This is an interesting draft for all of the reasons already mentioned above...being one who believes in early RB depth I went with Benson (my how things change). I like the way he ended last year and I hope he can keep it going....no telling with Cincy though.

2004 Caribbean Whale (Champion)
2005 Great White
2006 Indian Whale
2008 Great White
2009 Great White
2010 Whale Shark 1
2011 Great White
2012 Great White
2013 Whale Shark 1
Great White Shark
Sand$: 28,578.10
Agenda, just curious, but why take Rivers at 4.08 instead of say, Clark or Cooley? I may face a similar decision soon.

Survivor of Antonio Brown's 48-point PPR day in two playoffs, week 15, 2015.
Megalodon
Sand$: 29,714.80
chem wrote:Agenda, just curious, but why take Rivers at 4.08 instead of say, Clark or Cooley? I may face a similar decision soon.

Sure. I feel like this season has an amazing amount of depth at the TE position. I think almost every team in a 12 team league comes away with a productive player at TE. Because I am totally comfortable running with a guy like Owen Daniels or Greg Olsen at the TE position, I don't feel a huge need to take a TE early.

Back over at QB, I saw 2 QBs that I thought would be difference makers and two guys who could take them before my next pick. Tony took Warner, who was the other guy on my list. I think that if I let Rivers go by, there is a good chance I'm giving up on getting value from that position at all.

This is pretty unusual for me, I have historically been the guy who drafts Gonzo and makes do with whatever I can find at QB.

R2000 wrote:I still feel that QBs have been going quite early or especially early this year (previous years, only the elite QBs went early, now even the 2nd tier are going earlier than usual), even in the GWS, but what do I know?

I don't think QBs are going much faster than last season. Last season's GWSL saw 7 QBs taken by the end of round 5. As of right now, it's pick 5.11 and 6 QBs are off the board in the current draft.
Great White Shark
I agree TE depth is crazy 2009. But I also think QB is too. QB number 6-15 are pretty much the same, and if you get two adn play the matchups well, you can keep up with the Brees'. I do not agree, however, that 3 pts per TD is a huge difference maker. We are talking 20-25 points per season. And comparatived to other positions, QBs put up plenty of points. The reason they should not get drafted is not because they don't put up the points, it is because they all put up the same points, with a few exceptions. So unless you start two, thereby diluting the talent pool, wait to take one, IMO. Well, unless you get crazy value. :)

aka Vee's Doghouse

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 121,212.00
Cyguy84 wrote:
Agenda42 wrote:Don't look now, but FSDC just took an RB.

It will be hilarious if Addai becomes a stud RB again. FSDC will already have all the other positions covered :p

You realize if this happens this will become legend, and bumps of "Draft J.J. Stokes at 1.01" threads will be lauded as avant garde.

Patiently awaiting Carrmageddon.

Links: nfl, fantasy football, and fantasy football myths
Great White Shark
OK, it is now officially a crazy draft. A third RB early for me. No QB and not worried at all about that. And now a TE in the 6th round. I would have waited, but there are at least a half a dozen WRs I like, and another score or so of RBs, some of whom should drop, and if not I can always go for best available QB. However, you watch, the way this draft has gone, a Def next could be the pick!

So a TE it is. I like Daniels this year, he and Schaub have a connection, and with a different backup when the inevitable 4 game stretch without Schaub happens maybe he won't see the same drop off he saw last year when Sage took over.

aka Vee's Doghouse

Megalodon
Okay, so FSDC now has 2 QBs and only 1 RB.

Maybe someone configured it's expected starting lineup wrong?
Great White Shark
Actually, Tony makes all the picks manually on the suggestion of the coach. So if he thought something was wrong he surely would have addressed it. I think he is merely screwing with us. :) I still think coach will be competitive though, RBBC in fantasy is doable this year.

aka Vee's Doghouse

Megalodon
Pat_Smith wrote:Actually, Tony makes all the picks manually on the suggestion of the coach. So if he thought something was wrong he surely would have addressed it. I think he is merely screwing with us. :) I still think coach will be competitive though, RBBC in fantasy is doable this year.

I think FSDC will be competitive, but I think DC could have had a smoking team by picking RBs earlier. Something like 3.06 Grant and 4.07 Lynch would look mighty good to me.

Anyway, I really doubt Tony would look at DC and say "you know, the computer just can't be stupid enough to take DMac" -- he owns multiple copies of McNabb every year :)
HammerHead Shark
Sand$: 2,531.46
In a league with no trading, I just don't see the value in having Rodgers and McNabb. I'd be interested to see the inner workings of the Draft Coach that suggested that was appropriate value. Even if you're going to play matchups, the incremental value of Rodgers' best 8 games + McNabb's best 8 games can't be that different from Rodgers' full season + the #2 RB that the coach currently doesn't have!

I thought the conventional wisdom is that if you're going to reach for a top QB early (which the Coach certainly did) then you need to ride that guy and secure depth at the other positions.

2003 & 2006 Shark League Site Champion
14-time Great White Shark League
2-time Whale Shark League
Great White Shark
Well, the obvious value is that if you have McNabb, no one else does. Just an observation. I would not have both. Heck I would not have either!

aka Vee's Doghouse

Megalodon
Sand$: 9,739.46
Pat_Smith wrote:Well, the obvious value is that if you have McNabb, no one else does. Just an observation. I would not have both. Heck I would not have either!

FSDC will have an interesting season although I won't get to play it unless we both make playoffs, so it is an amusement for me :lol: