Mike McCarthy fired

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 162,568.48
Killa CAM CAN!! wrote:This season is over...dont think it even matters who the imterim Coach is.

Philbin was brought back to help Aaron and the offense as OC...

.. they're essentially giving him a shot to retain the position.

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield
Megalodon
Sand$: 43,516.88
birddog wrote:
Killa CAM CAN!! wrote:This season is over...dont think it even matters who the imterim Coach is.

Maybe... maybe not
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 22,091.60
No they are not.

This is going to be the hottest job. They'll have their pick of all candidates. They aren't settling on Joe Philbin.
Mako Shark
Sand$: 2,403.49
Somehow I wonder if naming Philbin as interim coach isn't related to their hope to keep Pettine as DC.

The Packers D may not have showed up as an elite unit, but you have to like what Pettine has done. With Green Bay's injuries, and general lack of talent, he's been able to make a little something out of not much. If all the Packers need to do is score 21 points to win, or even 30, an Aaron Rodgers led team should be able to do that. The Packers have a lot of problems, but the defense isn't why they're 4-7-1.

Pettine was HC previously, in Cleveland, and has stated he has no interest in doing that again -- preferring to remain as a DC. My guess is Green Bay looks for some great upcoming offense mind. Take Sean McVay -- how much does he get involved with the defense?

If, however, the Packers retain Joe Philbin, they are allergic to winning. The buzz going into this season was McCarthy bringing Philbin back, that they were going to assess everything, blow up the playbook, and introduce innovative concepts. I wouldn't say that's what we saw on the field..
Blue Shark
Sand$: 9,073.80
Gilgamesh wrote:If, however, the Packers retain Joe Philbin, they are allergic to winning.

It's clear the Packers struggled due to lack of nightly bed checks. Joe Philbin is exactly the right man for the job.
Megalodon
Sand$: 19,200.24
Sounds like Kliff to USC isnt inked yet... McVay/ Rams have already reached out to him to bring him as an Offensive asst. (allegedly)

I dont think hes NFL HC material. At least yet.

And he will be linked to just about every opening going right now, but itd be hard to imagine a team that have the pieces and the glaring need in the NFL for GB not to make a run at him.

TT - for all its failings - placed regularly among the top 10 for scorers in CFB. Offense was never the issue with Tech. Ever.

Hes worked with Manziel (A&M), Mayfield and Mahomes, Keenum (Houston) & Webb - And thats in well under a decade. Most NFL OCs wouldnt get that in their careers.

Arod started in the Air (Bear) Raid, and its not the problem it used to be coming into the NFL. Its the "new" thing - and one Kliff knows intimately and would be a scary fit with the players they have in GB (and why their struggles have been so surprising).

It might not be a HC gig immediately or come with any guarantees about who hed be working under (Surely anyone would be better than Clay Helton tho?!!)

Pack might have to wait for a HC till next year ... And taking on an OC and the assurances (he aught to ask for) might limit the takers.

Or it might help them if they went for a defensive guy.

But id be dialling and inquiring, either way ...

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
Sand$: 19,200.24

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
und2006 wrote:
birddog wrote:

Maybe... maybe not

We'll see. I hope not. Imo best for everyone they tank out the test of the season.

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield
Great White Shark
Sand$: 17,526.26
birddog wrote:

No.

Philbin is part of the cause of this mess. When buddy buddy McCarthy hired him back on Philbin re-wrote the playbook. Aaron was pissed about that because he felt the plays they drew up were garbage.
Supreme Megalodon
Not what was reported and talked about. Do some searches. I'm guessing nationally ESPN will have a scoup take and comments as well as madison.com & the state journal.

It wasn't that long ago. Talk at the time before and after Joe was brought back was how Aaron 'missed him' being in the building/sidelines/room as did the majority jump on the pro-joe bus for the struggles after his departure/hiring in Miami.

Coaches don't generally get promoted like this w/o considerations. Like it or not. If it comes to fruition or not. If they intend to or not. Hes being evaluated for the spot. Thats the reality of it.

I've mentioned my side countless times already about getting someone else in there to revamp and get Aaron right. Heck I may want to see it more than most Packer fans. One things for certain change is coming and Murphy and Co. can pave the way anyway they want right now. My hope is the next great one is around the corner.

Great White Shark
Sand$: 17,526.26
https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football ... 9d72f.html

But while much of the focus has rightly been on the opposite side of the ball, where the Packers haven’t had a top-10 defense since the 2010 team won Super Bowl XLV and have replaced longtime coordinator Dom Capers with Mike Pettine, McCarthy has decided the offensive playbook needs some freshening up, too. And although Philbin’s hiring wasn’t announced until Wednesday, he and McCarthy have been working on the playbook renovations for much of January.

“Joe Philbin (has) great positive energy. It’s been a lot of fun,” McCarthy said. “We’ve taken a little bit of a back to basics approach on offense. We’re going back and building a playbook like you would if it was your first year as a staff. Joe’s such a great teacher. So, it’s been a lot of fun so far.”

Joe Philbin hasn't been relevant since the 2011 season, and NFL offenses and defenses have changed a lot since then.

McCarthy was a the driver of the short bus but Joe Philbin was the occupant of every seat.

I feel like Joe Philbin was installed so they can tank. Pettine would have dictated going Aaron Jones run-heavy and actually fixed things and opened some room to let Rodgers sling it around. The risk is they may have won some games.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 22,091.60
The guy always railing against social media just cited ESPN and fluff pieces in local newspapers.
Sand$: 41,616.09
In his defense, neither espn or those local newspapers and beat writers have social media accounts that they use to promote their opinions/articles.

#NewJackCity
”I want players who hate losing more than they love winning”
Great White Shark
Sand$: 887.96
I am happy he is gone. He was not the only reason the Packers are where they are, but it was time for McCarthy and his timid play-calling to exit. Enjoy, Cleveland.

I hope the Packers decide to go with somebody fresh, a la McVay in LA. We don't need a retread HC. Find someone who can work with Aaron (and his possibly enormous ego) and let's get this train back on the tracks.

I hope the Packers lose out (except for the rematch with Chicago)...
Great White Shark
Sand$: 4,830.86
I definitely don't want the Packers to lose out. I need Rodgers to go crazy and start putting up 2011 numbers for the next month!