Mike McCarthy fired

Leopard Shark
Sand$: 232.86
I've been a packer fan for over 50 years. Lived through some dark ages especially living in Chicago. I told my neighbor a few years ago it's time for MM to go. Get Shanny before someone else does. MM to me is Bobby Cox. 3 hall of fame starters and 1 world series. McCarthy had two hall of fame QB's and only MADE 1 super bowl .We need someone that can scheme open receivers. I've heard a lot of people talk about Kingsbury and Riley not sure how the college game translates but seems like more pro teams mimic them. Don't want to see a retread not sold on DiFillipo. What if they made Petine HC, hire Kingsbury as OC with assurances the job will be his. I don't want to relive the Ray Rhodes era
Megalodon
Sand$: 36,700.34
Unbelievable, although I do think they are having a bit of a laugh with Philbin.

Great White Shark
Sand$: 909.98
theoutlawdekepatton wrote:Unbelievable, although I do think they are having a bit of a laugh with Philbin.

If the Packers' brass is truly setting up Philbin as the future HC, they might as well trade Rodgers now for a few 1st round picks circa 2021, when they clean house of management. Give the new guys a fresh start.
Megalodon
Sand$: 44,094.36
DELTA6TWO wrote:
theoutlawdekepatton wrote:Unbelievable, although I do think they are having a bit of a laugh with Philbin.

If the Packers' brass is truly setting up Philbin as the future HC, they might as well trade Rodgers now for a few 1st round picks circa 2021, when they clean house of management. Give the new guys a fresh start.

Me and my one share will vote against any sitting board member if they do it...
Sand$: 41,712.37

Well I’ll be damned. I don’t get to type this often, but bd was right
Great White Shark
endzoneview wrote:

Well I’ll be damned. I don’t get to type this often, but bd was right

Insert something about a broken watch or blind squirrel here...
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 162,568.48
jnadke wrote:https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/mike-mccarthy-joe-philbin-giving-packers-offensive-playbook-a-makeover/article_2c970cc3-71db-5fe8-8b50-066fb959d72f.html

But while much of the focus has rightly been on the opposite side of the ball, where the Packers haven’t had a top-10 defense since the 2010 team won Super Bowl XLV and have replaced longtime coordinator Dom Capers with Mike Pettine, McCarthy has decided the offensive playbook needs some freshening up, too. And although Philbin’s hiring wasn’t announced until Wednesday, he and McCarthy have been working on the playbook renovations for much of January.

“Joe Philbin (has) great positive energy. It’s been a lot of fun,” McCarthy said. “We’ve taken a little bit of a back to basics approach on offense. We’re going back and building a playbook like you would if it was your first year as a staff. Joe’s such a great teacher. So, it’s been a lot of fun so far.”

Joe Philbin hasn't been relevant since the 2011 season, and NFL offenses and defenses have changed a lot since then.

McCarthy was a the driver of the short bus but Joe Philbin was the occupant of every seat.

I feel like Joe Philbin was installed so they can tank. Pettine would have dictated going Aaron Jones run-heavy and actually fixed things and opened some room to let Rodgers sling it around. The risk is they may have won some games.
This is some of the directly linked stuff from/to Aaron and the offense I was referring to, jnadke.

Feb 16
Aaron Rodgers owes a lot of his success to Joe Philbin who is the Green Bay Packers "new" offensive coordinator. Phiblin was hired to be the Packers OC last month after spending the last six seasons as a head coach for the Miami Dolphins and assistant head coach for the Indianapolis Colts. Before joining the Dolphins and Colts, Philbin was the Packers offensive coordinator from 2007-2011 so Rodgers is glad to have him back.

"I love Joe Philbin," Rodgers said to Nate Davis of USA Today earlier this month. "He was a big part of my development as a young player. Fantastic in front of a room, great teacher of the game, great at installs. Just really understands what we're doing on offense. Great personality. I had a conversation with him on the phone, and that was exciting. We fell right back into some of the inside jokes we had, and he's just a great football coach and glad we got him back."

When the Philbin was running the Packers offense, they were ranked in the top 10 in total offense and scoring offense. The Packers won the Super Bowl in 2010 and they posted a 15-1 record in 2011 after averaging over 30 points per game. Philbin won't be calling plays for the Packers as that honor goes to head coach Mike McCarthy. However, he told reporters during his introductory press conference that his job is to make McCarthy the "smartest play caller in the NFL."

The Packers offense has always been strong with Rodgers under center. But now that he has Philbin back leading the offense, there's no reason the Packers can't make a push to being the best in the NFL in 2018.

Jan 25
Joe Philbin is back with the Green Bay Packers and he wouldn't have it any other way. After spending the last two seasons with the Indianapolis Colts as the assistant head coach and offensive line coach, Philbin was hired to be the Packers offensive coordinator, a position he held from 2007-2011. And this time around, Philbin has one goal.

When Philbin spoke to the media on Wednesday, he explained his role with the Packers this season and beyond. With head coach Mike McCarthy calling plays for the Packers this season, Philbin said he envisions his role with the Packers the same as it was in his first stint with the Packers: "Making Mike McCarthy look like the smartest play caller in the NFL."

With the duo of Philbin and McCarthy, the Packers offense was one of the best in the NFL at the beginning of Aaron Rodgers career. When Philbin was the OC before, the Packers reached the playoffs four of the five seasons, reached the NFC Championship game twice and won the Super Bowl in 2010. And in Philbin's final year as OC, the Packers set a franchise record in points scored, total yards, touchdowns and passing touchdowns which led to the team registering a 15-1 record and Rodgers winning his first MVP award.

Last year, the Packers averaged 20 points per game which ranked 21st in the NFL. The main reason for that had to do with Rodgers being out of action for more than half of the season, but McCarthy still felt like the unit should have done more with Brett Hundley. So with Rodgers healthy and Philbin back running the offense, the Packers have a chance return as a Super Bowl contender in 2018.

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield
Great White Shark
If the Packers must go the re-tread route, I would prefer they pilfer Josh McDouche from New England.
I don’t consider Joshy a retread

If he would publicly state he’s available and willing to leave NE, he’d be atop a majority of teams lists
Great White Shark
endzoneview wrote:I don’t consider Joshy a retread

If he would publicly state he’s available and willing to leave NE, he’d be atop a majority of teams lists

Not as re-tread as some of the others, but his time in Denver was less than spectacular. Still, he seems intent on another head coaching job, and outside of Dallas or New England, there aren't too many higher-profile places than GB (in football).
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 162,568.48
Soo Philbin fired Winstin Moss today. Saw this embedded in the article that Moss tossed up yesterday for the twitterspace crowd

"This whole world would be successful if everybody stopped quitting." - Evander Holyfield
The scuttlebutt is he posted this to get fired

He thanked twitter after he was let go
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 26,221.26
Great White Shark
Sand$: 3,936.42
I'm not sure what's so bad about that tweet, unless he was instructed not to tweet about the coaching situation.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 26,221.26
He probably doesn't need to be making statements outside the org.

But it's just like Philbin to purge people with their own ideas.