7%
Miami Dolphins
5%
Other
10%

Total votes : 42
Great White Shark
Sand$: 19,227.38
Jcb890 wrote:Saved himself a year of injury risk... but also didn't get paid and sat out of football for a year getting older at a position that almost never has a shelf life beyond age 30... at least for real money.

Steelers deal he also would have been out of sooner, possibly allowing another contract and guaranteed money before his career is over. Won't he be 31 when done with this NYJ deal?

Steelers deal was last year.....

Getting out at 30 vs 31 makes a difference? :roll: :roll: :thumbright:
Megalodon
Sand$: 52,210.82
Jcb890 wrote:Saved himself a year of injury risk... but also didn't get paid and sat out of football for a year getting older at a position that almost never has a shelf life beyond age 30... at least for real money.

Steelers deal he also would have been out of sooner, possibly allowing another contract and guaranteed money before his career is over. Won't he be 31 when done with this NYJ deal?

Theoretically, wouldnt the year off keep him fresher and gve him rest if he kept himself fit? Instead of being grinded into 400+ touches year over year?
Sand$: 40,922.15
And Bell just turned 27 a couple weeks ago. He’ll be 30 at the end of the Jets contract. Not sure it matters though.
Megalodon
Sand$: 53,459.00
jnadke wrote:

Yes I know, he gave up a year of paychecks and turned down a deal which supposedly involved $35M GTD... which he turned into $2M more GTD vs. less annual and getting out 1 year earlier.

Seems like a poor plan to me.

Right, the deal was last year. I'd argue 30 vs 31 does make a difference for RB... but may be negligible.

Don't get me wrong, fine move for the Jets. I just think Bell blew this one.
Megalodon
Sand$: 42,554.50
Jcb890 wrote:
jnadke wrote:

Yes I know, he gave up a year of paychecks and turned down a deal which supposedly involved $35M GTD... which he turned into $2M more GTD vs. less annual and getting out 1 year earlier.

Seems like a poor plan to me.

Right, the deal was last year. I'd argue 30 vs 31 does make a difference for RB... but may be negligible.

Don't get me wrong, fine move for the Jets. I just think Bell blew this one.

Normally I would say the time value of money dictates it was a bad move, but the market didn't exactly bear fruit over the time he would have potentially invested it.

Still, seems he oversold himself on what he could get on the open market. I can't blame him for wanting to test it though.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 57,532.24
und2006 wrote:
vonbearsalot wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:Could Bell have handled this any worse? He signed for less than he was offered last year.

No he didn’t. Last year he was offered te same deal but with rolling guarantees, which are functionally roster bonuses and not actual guarantees.

The Steelers offer had only 10 mil guaranteed. Bell saved himself a year of injury risk and got 35 mil guaranteed.

In theory if he’d played last year at 14.5 and then signed this year, sure, he’s better off. But for he had a Shazier type injury last year he doesn’t get a new contract, and he’s 20.5 mil behind.

Citation needed.

Reports were that the Steelers offer had 33 mil guaranteed.

You mean leaks by the Steelers FO to win the tide of public perception.

It was a lie. The contract was structured in a way where it was functionally a year to year contract. No different than him playing on the franchise tag. The concern (and belief, and perhaps stated strategy) was that the Steelers would run him into the ground to win now and then bail when he broke down--as RBs tend to do.

Bell rejected an offer that gave the Steelers no reason to preserve him, especially considering they had a young RB behind him that they were bullish on. If he made it out of the season healthy, great. If he didn't, oh well. Move on.

Bell has averaged 250 touches per year over his career...including last year where he had 0 touches. The Steelers have used him hard. I don't know how smart he is, and if it's him or his agent, but someone gave him some good advice, knowing that RB careers are short and it would be nice to give a team reason to value his long-term health.

The Jets now have that reason. Bell did the right thing. Yes, he signed a "smaller" contract, but there was 0 chance he was seeing the last 2-3 years of "5 years $70 mil."

I advise you foe me so you don't have to read this crap.
Sand$: 40,922.15
^this
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 66,514.78
R2000 wrote:

Theoretically, wouldnt the year off keep him fresher and gve him rest if he kept himself fit? Instead of being grinded into 400+ touches year over year?

That is what I believe. Ricky Williams extended his career by taking a year off, despite losing a year of his prime.
Great White Shark
vonbearsalot wrote:It was a lie. The contract was structured in a way where it was functionally a year to year contract. No different than him playing on the franchise tag. The concern (and belief, and perhaps stated strategy) was that the Steelers would run him into the ground to win now and then bail when he broke down--as RBs tend to do.

Bell rejected an offer that gave the Steelers no reason to preserve him, especially considering they had a young RB behind him that they were bullish on. If he made it out of the season healthy, great. If he didn't, oh well. Move on.

Or worse, in the "what have you done for me lately league".

They draft his successor, he splits time, sees reduced production. Or an OLineman gets hurt, bad line for a season.

Then the Steelers say hay, your production is down, take a pay cut.

Bell says no. He gets cut. No sweat to Steelers, they only paid $10M instead of franchise tag $14M.

New team says hey, your production dropped off, we'll give you half of what you were making.

I don't blame Bell. He did what's best for him. He produced elite value and demanded to be paid as such.

I don't believe any offers posted on Twitter, those are leaked to make one side look better. Bell can't leak they were lower or other teams will know what his actual value is hurting his own negotiation.

Now that he's signed you might hear leaks of the real truth on how much of that $70M was performance bonuses.
Megalodon
Sand$: 22,743.86
I'm debating where to put him in a redraft. Guessing in that next tier after Barkley, Kamara, McCaffrey, etc. with Conner?
Great White Shark
Sand$: 11,186.81
Markulous wrote:I'm debating where to put him in a redraft. Guessing in that next tier after Barkley, Kamara, McCaffrey, etc. with Conner?

Assuming you're doing PPR? I think I'd still likely have him in that top tier. But preseason is going to be so important this year to see what chemistry is like.
Megalodon
NautArch wrote:
Markulous wrote:I'm debating where to put him in a redraft. Guessing in that next tier after Barkley, Kamara, McCaffrey, etc. with Conner?

Assuming you're doing PPR? I think I'd still likely have him in that top tier. But preseason is going to be so important this year to see what chemistry is like.

Yeah, PPR.

I'd be comfortable taking him in the first, just not sure I'd take him over those first few guys I listed.
Great White Shark

I think it's too early given drafting.

But Bell will probably be a late riser.

I think production between any of the top guys is a coinflip:
Barkley
Elliott
McCaffrey
Kamara
Gurley
Gordon
Bell

The thing that will push Bell to Tier 2 is his injury risk (taking a year off is going to increase his risk of soft tissue injuries). I'd take him below any of the other guys.
Last edited by jnadke on Wed 03.13.2019, 15:16, edited 2 times in total.
Great White Shark
The value guys will be the ones that are in unexpectedly better situations due to free agency / OC changes:
Devonta Freeman
David Johnson
Derrius Guice
Dalvin Cook
Derrick Henry (maybe)
Leonard Fournette
Megalodon
jnadke wrote:The value guys will be the ones that are in unexpectedly better situations due to free agency / OC changes:
Devonta Freeman
David Johnson
Derrius Guice
Dalvin Cook
Derrick Henry (maybe)
Leonard Fournette

Those guys are all interesting for sure. High ceilings, lowish floors.