New York Jets Perpetual Rebuild Thread

Great White Shark
Sand$: 26,994.28
endzoneview wrote:
hawkdogger wrote:WTH was the deal with them playing Becton with an injury and letting him aggravate it minutes into the game? Smacks of Osemele last year.
I mean, who does that?

A desperate man trying to save his job

Agh. So shortsighted . . .
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 36,533.46
He's completely self-centered.
Megalodon
Sand$: 39,029.30
hawkdogger wrote:WTH was the deal with them playing Becton with an injury and letting him aggravate it minutes into the game? Smacks of Osemele last year.
I mean, who does that?

Bad coaches do that.

Bad coaches also won't try to get half a yard in the 4th quarter when a conversion lets them burn the clock and try to score a TD for a probable win, instead kicking a FG and giving the Broncos 6 minutes to get in FG range and take the lead back.
If you're going to suck and get fired, at least do it aggressively while trying to win rather than being a coward who doesn't want to be blamed if they can't convert an easy 4th and 1 foot.

"If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker."
-Mike McD, Rounders
Tiger Shark
Sand$: 499.06
endzoneview wrote:@Chiefs - forfeit

=D>
Great White Shark
Sand$: 46,485.50
hard 10 wrote:
I mean, who does that?

Bad coaches do that.

Bad coaches also won't try to get half a yard in the 4th quarter when a conversion lets them burn the clock and try to score a TD for a probable win, instead kicking a FG and giving the Broncos 6 minutes to get in FG range and take the lead back.
If you're going to suck and get fired, at least do it aggressively while trying to win rather than being a coward who doesn't want to be blamed if they can't convert an easy 4th and 1 foot.

still waiting for my antifa paycheck. do they do direct deposit now?
Sand$: 40,922.15
If Darnold was smart, he'll opt for surgery regardless of the diagnosis.

The backup I guess would be Joe Flacco.

Living the dream.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 26,249.06
How in the world is Gase not fired today? I just don’t get it.

2019 Sharks with Big Sticks Champion
2019 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion
Great White Shark
Sand$: 3,239.08
The question remains, do you commit to Darnold long term ? Trade the pick *if you get it, for maybe 2 or 3 first round picks ?

You still have those picks from the Jamal Adams deal. Presumably under the cap and all those picks with a new head coach doesn't sound to bad.

I think the Jets have 2 first round picks in this years draft and 2 first rounders next year from Adams deal.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 19,227.38
SUPERIMIAINI wrote:The question remains, do you commit to Darnold long term ? Trade the pick *if you get it, for maybe 2 or 3 first round picks ?

You still have those picks from the Jamal Adams deal. Presumably under the cap and all those picks with a new head coach doesn't sound to bad.

I think the Jets have 2 first round picks in this years draft and 2 first rounders next year from Adams deal.

Absolutely not.

If the Jets get the #1 pick you absolutely take Trevor Lawrence and trade Darnold off for peanuts.

The precedent has been set, and Lawrence is a once-in-a-generation QB. There hasn't been a more absolute #1 pick since Luck and Manning.
Last edited by jnadke on Fri 10.02.2020, 14:15, edited 2 times in total.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 3,239.08
jnadke wrote:
SUPERIMIAINI wrote:The question remains, do you commit to Darnold long term ? Trade the pick *if you get it, for maybe 2 or 3 first round picks ?

Absolutely not.

If the Jets get the #1 pick you absolutely take Trevor Lawrence and trade Darnold off for peanuts.

The precedent has been set, and Lawrence is a once-in-a-generation QB. There hasn't been a more absolute #1 pick since Luck and Manning.

Fair enough, just saying possibly 4 or 6 first round picks in the next 2 years could change a franchise. But I agree Trevor is a generational talent.
Great White Shark
SUPERIMIAINI wrote:Fair enough, just saying possibly 4 or 6 first round picks in the next 2 years could change a franchise. But I agree Trevor is a generational talent.

The question is, come December will Trevor declare or stay in school if the Jets have the #1 pick.

If Trevor stays in school is RG3 part Deux NDSU guy worth the #1? Trey Lance
Last edited by jnadke on Fri 10.02.2020, 14:18, edited 3 times in total.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 36,533.46

No. You don't commit to him long term. The GM takes a QB he and the new coach love.
If the Jets are #1, no chance it's not Trevor Lawrence.

Unless he returns to school which I can't imagine he would.

He could pull an Elway/Eli though and I wouldn't blame him to be honest.
Great White Shark
endzoneview wrote:If the Jets are #1, no chance it's not Trevor Lawrence.

Unless he returns to school which I can't imagine he would.

He could pull an Elway/Eli though and I wouldn't blame him to be honest.

If the salary cap were to go down, could Trevor Lawrence possibly make more money by waiting?

If 2021 is a down year and then TV contracts are signed, and 2022 goes way back up, I'd imagine Trevor Lawrence could stand to lose $5-10 million coming out in 2021.

Combine that with the long term contract prospects of playing for the Jets vs another team.

That all depends on how the salary cap negotiation goes. If NFL takes the hit all in one year (disastrous), or is able to get the NFLPA to spread it out over many years.

Of course he'd want to take out an insurance policy on himself.

This is based on my understanding that the rookie wage scale is proportional to the current-year salary cap.
Last edited by jnadke on Fri 10.02.2020, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Good point but I doubt the NFLPA is going to allow a change to the slotted rookie deals. I'm no expert on the CBA though.

An actual good quarterback in NY would be worth a crazy amount of marketing dollars though

Regardless, he's going to go to a bad team. 2021 or 2022. What if the Washington Football Team has the #1 pick in 20221?

I think it's unlikely he'd return to school but I wouldn't blame him if he tried to find a way to not be a Jet.

EDIT - Just saw your edit, I wondered that. If true, your point makes even more sense.