Kyler Murray - Arizona Cardinal

Great White Shark
Sand$: 17,723.18
jamcutpost wrote:
Markulous wrote:So like Oar had mentioned, this gives you an idea what happens when he's under pressure or his first read isn't there. He panics a bit under pressure, but so does every QB I suppose. I wouldn't say he's a one read, then run though. And the big throws that Voch mentions here he does this all the time from what I've seen. Making tough throws and having the talent to do so is a pretty big deal IMO.

I like him, but ...

1) Im not 100% sold this isnt just a leverage move to get Baseball to give him more $$$'s - when i know its not? Ill waste time on it.
    2) Im not overly worried about his height
    3) ... But his "size" & potential durability because of it will give ppl pause: His OL was good. His run game was good. He has otherworldy WRs. Hes athletic.
    Barring his athleticism, these are things that wont be all in place if he gets drafted highly. Maybe 1 of 3? That means more hits will happen & they happen faster and are harder here.
    He'll hold his own, he wont get KO'd first hit or anything like that - but longevity isnt something FOs want to think of as a luxury or a bonus when they draft a franchise QB.

But yeah. Ill wait till i see otherwise, just (EDIT: Just read back a cpl pages. Im w/Jesteva) before i worry about it. Think its just a leverage win:win move for him.

Oh, of course it's leverage.

No way he passes up Baseball if the A's match what middle 1st round player makes (~$15-20M 4 years). There's no guarantee of a football career beyond that. At least with Baseball he will have two good knees.

The biggest reason he's doing this is it will take quite a few years before he makes as much money as the NFL draft. Beyond the signing bonus he will make MLB league minimum (which is equal to NFL rookie minimum) as he develops in the minors and starts on an MLB active roster. It won't be until he's 27-30 that he gets his first real MLB contract. Even then he's mediocre at-bat and raw so it will be the bottom end of the value range. Kyler even remotely pans out in the NFL his next QB contract will be $40-60M minimum.

Money now is better than money later.

A baseball outfielder can't make as much as top QBs, but they can make as much as an NFL low end starter or backup QB.

Megalodon
Sand$: 19,517.40
Makes sense. In other words, if he is a stud in baseball then he can make a crap ton of money, but just being ok or kinda good isn't going to eclipse getting a starter salary in the NFL.
Great White Shark
Markulous wrote:Makes sense. In other words, if he is a stud in baseball then he can make a crap ton of money, but just being ok or kinda good isn't going to eclipse getting a starter salary in the NFL.

Correct.

Though in Murray's case there's a lot more risk in the MLB than the NFL in terms of development to get that 2nd contract, since he's not guaranteed to develop in batting. As far as I understand his strike-out rate was rather high in college despite being an above-average batter.

MLB teams don't pay ridiculous contracts to great outfielders (though that's not entirely fair to say, given the defensive component, best at their talent will always be paid well). They pay ridiculous contracts to great batters and put them on outfielder.
Last edited by jnadke on Tue 01.15.2019, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Megalodon
Sand$: 35,842.92
Elmagister wrote:He feels like a Dolphin trap.

Ugh. Pat White.

Megalodon
jnadke wrote:
Markulous wrote:Makes sense. In other words, if he is a stud in baseball then he can make a crap ton of money, but just being ok or kinda good isn't going to eclipse getting a starter salary in the NFL.

Correct.

Though in Murray's case there's a lot more risk in the MLB than the NFL in terms of development to get that 2nd contract, since he's not guaranteed to develop in batting. As far as I understand his strike-out rate was rather high in college despite being an above-average batter.

MLB teams don't pay ridiculous contracts to great outfielders (though that's not entirely fair to say, given the defensive component, best at their talent will always be paid well). They pay ridiculous contracts to great batters and put them on outfielder.

If he's torn and money is the deciding factor, then it seems like a no-brainer decision. If he is trying to follow what he enjoys most and not sure, then that makes it more complex.
Great White Shark
This is the Top 10 so it would be equivalent to the NFL Transition Tag (not franchise).

Megalodon
I haven't watched him play baseball so I have no idea, but if he's not a great batter and playing outfield, then like you said he isn't going to be making near the amount he would in the NFL once he gets his second contract.
Sand$: 113,884.22
jnadke wrote:Though in Murray's case there's a lot more risk in the MLB than the NFL in terms of development to get that 2nd contract, since he's not guaranteed to develop in batting. As far as I understand his strike-out rate was rather high in college despite being an above-average batter.

If you're referring to a corner outfielder then you're correct. Center's different though. His floor in baseball isn't the same as a corner OF. There are more than a few poor hitting center fielder's making $5-10 mil. Alex Gordon's only had two above average seasons offensively and will walk away from the game with at least $135 mil.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 76,809.48
Aaron Rodgers 5 years at 33 million a year , 80 million guarenteed at signing

Bryce Harper or Machado , maybe both

10 years 400 million all guarenteed. 40 million s year.

Not saying murray will get those numbers, but that should tell you the benefits of a mlb contract .
Sand$: 40,580.29
Instead of comparing star players contracts, how about we compare average players for a more realistic comparison.

I'm guessing a mid-level non-allstar outfielder probably still makes more than a top 20-ish quarterback but maybe the gap isn't so dramatic.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 2,166.34
And he's young. He can try the NFL out for a contract and still hit the minors at age 25 if football doesn't work out.
TheJayCutlers wrote:And he's young. He can try the NFL out for a contract and still hit the minors at age 25 if football doesn't work out.

I agree, Kyle Murray is the next Tim Tebow
Great White Shark
Sand$: 2,166.34
endzoneview wrote:
TheJayCutlers wrote:And he's young. He can try the NFL out for a contract and still hit the minors at age 25 if football doesn't work out.

I agree, Kyle Murray is the next Tim Tebow

:lol:
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 76,809.48
endzoneview wrote:Instead of comparing star players contracts, how about we compare average players for a more realistic comparison.

I'm guessing a mid-level non-allstar outfielder probably still makes more than a top 20-ish quarterback but maybe the gap isn't so dramatic.

You can’t because when those guys sign there contract everybody falls in line Your also over looking the legth and guarenteed money. There are guys making more money , longer years then Aaron and cousins made and they signed those contracts a couple years ago.
sure you can