Ground hog Day/Raiders

Post Reply  
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 47366
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 41,693.97
TheJayCutlers wrote:


It feels like this story breaks every week
_______________________________________

#NewJackCity
”I want players who hate losing more than they love winning”
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 28250
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008
Sand$: 75,969.88
prplhz14 wrote:Does anyone else hear what seems to be a tiny violin playing?


No
Great White Shark
Posts: 2433
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014
Sand$: 3,079.30
Waiting for th e email from the raiders informing me that they are raising prices. Never again, I Say!
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 38925
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006
Sand$: 127,447.04
This "should" be the last year in Oakland. The stadium in Vegas is starting to take shape:

https://www.raiders.com/lasvegas/live-stadium-camera
_______________________________________

Image
2016-17 Hardwood Sharks Champion
2016 LOT Roman League Champ
2016 In Your Face $ League Champion
2015 $harktooth League Champion
2015 In Your Face $ League Champion
Great White Shark
Posts: 2433
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014
Sand$: 3,079.30
Get your tickets now! It's the last season in Oakland, again! Don't miss out! Unless we play in Oakland again next year! Buy Now!
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 38925
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006
Sand$: 127,447.04
I loved Mack, but I'm finally over that trade. He got 90 million guaranteed. For 97 million guaranteed we signed 4 starters. A new WR1 and WR2 , a starting DB and starting Tackle and got 2 first round draft picks out of the trade also.
_______________________________________

Image
2016-17 Hardwood Sharks Champion
2016 LOT Roman League Champ
2016 In Your Face $ League Champion
2015 $harktooth League Champion
2015 In Your Face $ League Champion
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 47366
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 41,693.97
You could look at it that way

You could also look at it that a huge chunk of that guarantee would have hit last year and you could have had all those players AND Mack’s $11.9m cap number this year. Now sure, his cap number balloons to $25m+ the next three years which would eat into the $70-90m in cap space currently projected every year.

I think I’d still rather have a homegrown once in a lifetime stud team leader that could have joined the franchise legends one day but draft picks are nice too.
_______________________________________

#NewJackCity
”I want players who hate losing more than they love winning”
Great White Shark
Posts: 8198
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005
Sand$: 5,846.71
SnakeStabler wrote:I loved Mack, but I'm finally over that trade. He got 90 million guaranteed. For 97 million guaranteed we signed 4 starters. A new WR1 and WR2 , a starting DB and starting Tackle and got 2 first round draft picks out of the trade also.


this.

One player does not a team make... no matter how good. We sucked with him in the lineup and if we'd signed him we wouldn't be in anywhere close to the position we are in terms of improving our entire roster. With the freed up salary and cap space we've improved on both sides of the ball through free agency and we are flush with draft picks to continue to shore up our many weak spots; particularly on defense where this is a very deep draft year. Still lots of work to do obviously but if we'd kept him (and paid him) I just don't think we would have been able to do what we've done in FA and we wouldn't have the flexibility in the upcoming drafts either. The guy was a beast but our team was so weak across the board it would have taken us his entire contract term to get to a position where we could compete and we probably would have lost him at that point anyway. I know I'm in the minority but I do think our progression to becoming competitive has been accelerated through trading him. It was handled horribly by the team and it sucks in the short term for sure but in the long run its probably for the best.
_______________________________________

Follow me on Tumblr http://jd666.tumblr.com

2015 LOT Norse League Champion
Image
Megalodon
Posts: 13564
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007
Sand$: 52,511.96
The adrenaline rush from FA is simmering down and the tank seems to be quietening. Perhaps, this article will stir up the fires yet again. Have at it :popcorn:

https://theathletic.com/873409/2019/03/ ... inly-does/

You may have missed it. Well, everybody missed it. The Raiders won an award two weeks ago.

And you will never guess for what.

The Raiders were awarded the Alpha Award for “Best Transaction” by the analytics community at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference (SSAC) in Boston.

For the Khalil Mack trade.

The Raiders didn’t believe it either. Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey — founder of the conference and a member of the voting panel — called team president Marc Badain to tell him of the award beforehand.

“Marc thought I was making fun of him,” Morey said in a telephone interview Saturday. “I had to tell him several times that I wasn’t kidding. I guess they took a lot of heat for that.”

Popular convention be damned, the analytics community loved the deal last September, when the Raiders traded their All-Pro pass rusher and a second-round draft pick to the Chicago Bears for two first-rounders...
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 47366
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 41,693.97
“Marc thought I was making fun of him,” Morey said in a telephone interview Saturday. “I had to tell him several times that I wasn’t kidding"


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
_______________________________________

#NewJackCity
”I want players who hate losing more than they love winning”
User avatar
Whale Shark
Posts: 1120
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014
Sand$: 1,316.88
Forrest Gump won Best Picture over Pulp Fiction.
Megalodon
Posts: 13564
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007
Sand$: 52,511.96
endzoneview wrote:
“Marc thought I was making fun of him,” Morey said in a telephone interview Saturday. “I had to tell him several times that I wasn’t kidding"


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


LOL, precisely my thoughts when I saw the article.


The SAAC justification :

“Everybody else thought it was a terrible trade, but draft picks are very valuable,” Morey said. “Analytics tends to fly in the face of popular convention pretty often.

“We don’t care about what people say.”

And while the Raiders haven’t even drafted the two players yet, Morey said the results of the picks will be assessed in a separate analysis down the road.

“We look at the process more than the result,” Morey said. “Getting first-round picks can be the right thing even if the picks aren’t executed well.”


Ultimately, Gruden and Mayock will need to prove the bolded in order to justify the trade.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 28250
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008
Sand$: 75,969.88
canadianraiderfan wrote:
SnakeStabler wrote:I loved Mack, but I'm finally over that trade. He got 90 million guaranteed. For 97 million guaranteed we signed 4 starters. A new WR1 and WR2 , a starting DB and starting Tackle and got 2 first round draft picks out of the trade also.


this.

One player does not a team make... no matter how good. We sucked with him in the lineup and if we'd signed him we wouldn't be in anywhere close to the position we are in terms of improving our entire roster. With the freed up salary and cap space we've improved on both sides of the ball through free agency and we are flush with draft picks to continue to shore up our many weak spots; particularly on defense where this is a very deep draft year. Still lots of work to do obviously but if we'd kept him (and paid him) I just don't think we would have been able to do what we've done in FA and we wouldn't have the flexibility in the upcoming drafts either. The guy was a beast but our team was so weak across the board it would have taken us his entire contract term to get to a position where we could compete and we probably would have lost him at that point anyway. I know I'm in the minority but I do think our progression to becoming competitive has been accelerated through trading him. It was handled horribly by the team and it sucks in the short term for sure but in the long run its probably for the best.



Except the raiders still have 35 in cap space so you could have all those players and Mac.
Great White Shark
Posts: 8341
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010
Sand$: 17,526.26
R2000 wrote:Ultimately, Gruden and Mayock will need to prove the bolded in order to justify the trade.

It may not even be that simple.


I mean, when you really think about it, Cleveland traded:


Carson Wentz
2020 1st

for

Denzel Ward
Odell Beckham Jr
Nick Chubb
Demarious Randall
A bunch of other useless players not with the team anymore
+3 years of major suck


This is like one of those really weird Team A or Team B dyno posts where everyone picks Team B.


Granted in between there they traded off Deshaun Watson and Deshone Kizer, but everything stems from the Carson Wentz trade.

I'm not counting their actual picks from the suck (which got them Garrett, Mayfield, Njoku, and Corbett), this is just ammunition from the Wentz trade (Jabrill Peppers was acquired from the pick PHI traded to CLE who then traded to HOU for Watson -- CLE drafted Peppers with one of the HOU picks and Chubb from a 2nd round HOU pick).



Analytics doesn't belong in the NFL because it makes my brain hurt.
Last edited by jnadke on Mon 03.18.2019, 14:39, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Whale Shark
Posts: 1120
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014
Sand$: 1,316.88


:lol: