Ground hog Day/Raiders

Megalodon
Sand$: 19,200.24
SJSwarm wrote:Denzelle Good showed well last year, hence us bringing him back. I'm just saying we have more pressing needs. Like EVERYWHERE on D. We could still sign a competent guard/swing tackle and not waste a pick in one of the best defensive drafts I have seen. I'd wager that the Raiders are hoping Parker develops into a swing tackle. As I've said before, people are giving up on him way too early. He's a small school player who needed time to develop.

This is a way better post. Thankyou.

So Good is your LG and Parker your swing.

That still leaves no one to step up for injury - but Ok.

Differences are good & im happy to hear about these guys - i dont know them. /hattip

SJSwarm wrote:You also have a much lower opinion of Trent Brown than the rest of the football world seems to. Yeah we overpaid for him, but he's significantly better than what we trotted out at LT last year, and he's a million times better than at least 2 of the consensus top 3 tackles in this draft. I havent watched enough of Jawaan Taylor to have an opinion, but Dillard and McGary are straight up trash. I'd rather roll the dice on Parker's development than waste likely our 2nd rounder to get one of those guys.

Youd have to cite examples of what youre considering the "Football world". Until then i cant say.

I would also point out my earlier post about Trent Brown. Ill link it later. I dont think im critical, just more pragamatic in saying that hes being paid for potential and 3 games than on anything else right now. I havent ruled out improvement.

Only that he has to improve to be worth the contract and Cable's OLs havent been traditionally great looking at his overall career
Last edited by jamcutpost on Thu 03.14.2019, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Sand$: 112,756.16
hawkdogger wrote:I'm not even going to address the illogic of defending an overpay by trying to point to another overpay and arguing it's not as bad.

Nor should you - can't think of many worse defenses than finding what you believe is the worst case then saying it's better than that.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 23,562.02
OarChambo wrote:
hawkdogger wrote:I'm not even going to address the illogic of defending an overpay by trying to point to another overpay and arguing it's not as bad.

Nor should you - can't think of many worse defenses than finding what you believe is the worst case then saying it's better than that.

Makes me glad I didn't address it.
Sand$: 112,756.16
jamcutpost wrote:Youd have to cite examples of what youre considering the "Football world". Until then i cant say.

I would also point out my earlier post about Trent Brown. Ill link it later. I dont think im critical, just more pragamatic in saying that hes being paid for potential and 3 games than on anything else right now. I havent ruled out improvement.

Only that he has to improve to be worth the contract and Cable's OLs havent been traditionally great looking at his overall career

In the wonderful world of assumptions it's best to assume that Brown will bust. He was given away last year. A team with a lengthy history of maximizing what they have at OL used him ways that aided in their success and rehabbed his value. Now he's with an OC with a lengthy history of putting his OL in poor positions to be successful.
Megalodon
jamcutpost wrote:
SJSwarm wrote:You also have a much lower opinion of Trent Brown than the rest of the football world seems to. Yeah we overpaid for him, but he's significantly better than what we trotted out at LT last year, and he's a million times better than at least 2 of the consensus top 3 tackles in this draft. I havent watched enough of Jawaan Taylor to have an opinion, but Dillard and McGary are straight up trash. I'd rather roll the dice on Parker's development than waste likely our 2nd rounder to get one of those guys.

Youd have to cite examples of what youre considering the "Football world". Until then i cant say.

I would also point out my earlier post about Trent Brown. Ill link it later. I dont think im critical, just more pragamatic
in saying that hes being paid for potential and 3 games than on anything else right now. I havent ruled out improvement.

jamcutpost wrote:I can see some appeal in Brown (Trent), hes a big ole unit and isnt awful - but hes got a bit to go before hes paying back that contract.

Being in BUF tho i can relate, sometimes you have to pay extra.

This draft isnt long on DE depth - DT sure, DE not so much - but as long as they can get the OL fixed so AB can run his route, i think
"AB-DC" should work.

There are a cpl good OTs, but i think we'll see most kick inside as we move past rnd 2.

Happy to hear what the Football World is saying about Trent Brown. I thought i was being as open minded as possible tbh.

But please feel free to read what ive posted and LMK whats radically different between me & them :thumbright:

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Great White Shark
Sand$: 19,577.44
The Raiders can address their most pressing needs with those 4 high picks IMO.
Easy to envision them landing some combo of Josh Allen at #4, a starting LG, a starting DB (Williams?) and a safety at #35.

As I previous stated, they still need to nail those selections, but the ammunition is there.

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.
Sand$: 41,574.13
Can Trent Brown’s talent overcome the extremely apparent gap in coaching he’ll receive in comparison to what he got last year is the question on him

#NewJackCity
”I want players who hate losing more than they love winning”
Megalodon
bluemist wrote:The Raiders can address their most pressing needs with those 4 high picks IMO.
Easy to envision them landing some combo of Josh Allen at #4, a starting LG, a starting DB (Williams?) and a safety at #35.

As I previous stated, they still need to nail those selections, but the ammunition is there.

I think we're close in that, id go a different way for a cpl picks - but similar vein. Other 2 yeah. Bang on.

Ill take Swarms word that they have a Swing and LG lined up. So, that makes it less important, but its still a need given that theres still an air of being unproven, on that OL, fulltime, for 3 out of 6 "starters".

Only Miller & Hud played all 16 games last season fwiw.

Personally? Top 3 needs

ILB
    CB
    OG/C

Then

Any D - another LB wouldnt go amiss
    RB anywhere - even UDFA

That LB spot has been "Giants-eque"/ Spinal Tap void for ... well Kirk was last guy i can remember, really. Napoleon & Barton before that? But we're going back a ways.

- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 34,829.02
jamcutpost wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:

I would also point out my earlier post about Trent Brown. Ill link it later. I dont think im critical, just more pragamatic
in saying that hes being paid for potential and 3 games than on anything else right now. I havent ruled out improvement.

jamcutpost wrote:I can see some appeal in Brown (Trent), hes a big ole unit and isnt awful - but hes got a bit to go before hes paying back that contract.

Being in BUF tho i can relate, sometimes you have to pay extra.

This draft isnt long on DE depth - DT sure, DE not so much - but as long as they can get the OL fixed so AB can run his route, i think
"AB-DC" should work.

There are a cpl good OTs, but i think we'll see most kick inside as we move past rnd 2.

Happy to hear what the Football World is saying about Trent Brown. I thought i was being as open minded as possible tbh.

But please feel free to read what ive posted and LMK whats radically different between me & them :thumbright:

from what I've read of your posts, you seem to think he is a hack who benefitted from great coaching in NE. if I am wrong, then I apologize. when i say "the rest of the football world", brown seemed to be the consensus #1 FA OT in the 2019 class. he's a quality pass blocker, and he's lacking in the run blocking department. it wasn't a deep group, so take that for what it is worth.

and i would wager that Cable will be the next scapegoat if the OL underperforms in 2019, so i am not worried about his long term impact.
Supreme Megalodon
bluemist wrote:The Raiders can address their most pressing needs with those 4 high picks IMO.

I highly doubt safety is on the list. I'd be thrilled with Adderly in the 2nd, but I doubt that is on the agenda. Joseph played well enough in the 2nd half of 2018 to get another look, and Joyner is entrenched at FS now.
Supreme Megalodon
OarChambo wrote:

Or maybe, just maybe, the WR market is wildly different than what the majority of the tank thinks it is, and 10M a year for WR2 types is going to become the norm?

You all point to how smart the Pats are, they offered Adam Freaking Humprhies $10M a year. But Tyrell was a massive overpay. Got it, thanks for educating me. :roll:
Supreme Megalodon
OarChambo wrote:They didn't have to address it til they started spending like a team that intends to faux compete this year. Now they do. Until the course is reversed again anyway.

Find me a Raiders fan that thinks we are going to win even 7 games this year even after the moves we made. I'll wait.

Pretty sure that anyone with common sense realizes this team is more than 3-4 FA signings away from competing even if we nail this draft.

Gotta start somewhere. Can't win with you people regardless. If we did nothing in FA you guys would be screaming about how could they just sit there and do nothing considering how bad the roster is, and if we sign people in FA you guys cry foul because we have to overpay to get people to play for a perennial loser in one of the worst places to live in the NFL.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 23,562.02
SJSwarm wrote:
OarChambo wrote:

Or maybe, just maybe, the WR market is wildly different than what the majority of the tank thinks it is, and 10M a year for WR2 types is going to become the norm?

You all point to how smart the Pats are, they offered Adam Freaking Humprhies $10M a year. But Tyrell was a massive overpay. Got it, thanks for educating me. :roll:

Well then.
I feel much better about the Watkins deal now.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 19,577.44
SJSwarm wrote:

I highly doubt safety is on the list. I'd be thrilled with Adderly in the 2nd, but I doubt that is on the agenda. Joseph played well enough in the 2nd half of 2018 to get another look, and Joyner is entrenched at FS now.
I will defer to your greater knowledge of your team's needs at safety, but I have seen them mocked to grab one at several different sights. Substitute a RB at #35, or BPA. My point remains, that they have the draft capital to neatly fill out their roster with quality, day one starters.

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.
Supreme Megalodon
bluemist wrote:
SJSwarm wrote:

I will defer to your greater knowledge of your team's needs at safety, but I have seen them mocked to grab one at several different sights. Substitute a RB at #35, or BPA. My point remains, that they have the draft capital to neatly fill out their roster with quality, day one starters.

If Gruden fell in love with Adderly at the Senior Bowl, I could definitely see it, they could rotate Joyner into the nickel corner spot depending on the defensive look, much like the Dolphins did with Fitzpatrick last year.