47%
Quinnen Williams
9%
Kyler Murray
45%

Total votes : 47
Megalodon
Sand$: 20,907.76
endzoneview wrote:The ONLY way it happens is if another team wants to give up a mid to high first rounder for Rosen so I can't see it happening either.

Especially with the same GM being there. If it was a new GM, sure, more plausible. But even then....

Agreed. This is all just to lure Oakland or NYG up to the #1 pick IMO. So definitely possible Murray goes first, just shouldn't be to Arizona.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 18,086.50
Markulous wrote:When has a team ever used a top 10 pick on a QB(especially traded up into the top 10) then used another top 10 pick that very next year on another QB? Maybe Cleveland has done it, but that's not a franchise you want to emulate (not counting the past year).

You are correct, the answer is None.

However, honorable mentions for back-to-back QBs go to:

Panthers: Jimmy Clausen (2nd round) -> Cam Newton
Browns: DeShone Kizer (2nd round) -> Baker Mayfield
Dolphins: Chad Henne (2nd round) -> Pat White (2nd round)
Megalodon
Sand$: 20,907.76
jnadke wrote:
Markulous wrote:When has a team ever used a top 10 pick on a QB(especially traded up into the top 10) then used another top 10 pick that very next year on another QB? Maybe Cleveland has done it, but that's not a franchise you want to emulate (not counting the past year).

You are correct, the answer is None.

However, honorable mentions for back-to-back QBs go to:

Panthers: Jimmy Clausen (2nd round) -> Cam Newton
Browns: DeShone Kizer (2nd round) -> Baker Mayfield
Dolphins: Chad Henne (2nd round) -> Pat White (2nd round)

I remember the Clausen/Newton thing and Kizer/Baker. I can understand those. Taking a 2nd round QB usually doesn't pan out, so after one year, I get why a team would take a better prospect.

This is definitely a completely different situation. Rosen didn't play perfect or anything, but he had awful coaching and a terrible team. They should have just as high of an opinion of him as they did last year at this time. Murray also isn't a better prospect IMO. If it was like an Andrew Luck type prospect, then I can kinda maybe see them doing this, but Murray is not that.
Great White Shark
Markulous wrote:This is definitely a completely different situation. Rosen didn't play perfect or anything, but he had awful coaching and a terrible team. They should have just as high of an opinion of him as they did last year at this time. Murray also isn't a better prospect IMO. If it was like an Andrew Luck type prospect, then I can kinda maybe see them doing this, but Murray is not that.

Correct.

Unless Kliff negotiated something on taking the job that he really really really wanted Kyler Murray honestly if Josh Rosen were in the 2019 draft class he'd be #1 overall QB.

Remember nobody wanted the Arizona job so who knows what they promised Kingsbury. Kingsbury was like AZ's 6th choice.

That's the X-factor. Perhaps Kingsbury convinced them the future is ultra-mobile accurate deep-arm QBs after seeing the success of Mahomes, Wilson, and Mayfield.

I do agree if they let him do this it would be because they have a 1st round pick (or multiple day 2 picks) lined up with someone at the bottom of the draft class (Patriots / Chargers / Steelers?). Otherwise I don't see it happening at all.
Last edited by jnadke on Wed 03.20.2019, 10:39, edited 6 times in total.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 2,797.12

Colts 82 pick #4 Art Schlicter
Colts 83 pick #1 Gary Busey John Elway
Sand$: 41,698.17
jnadke wrote:
Unless Kliff negotiated something on taking the job that he really really really wanted Kyler Murray

This is what I keep coming back to that makes me think maybe. Especially since they came to terms with him so fast.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 6,555.15
I voted Murray... not so much because I think they'll do it but because I hope they do. That way there's less temptation for Gruden to do something stupid and take him if he falls to 4... Also out of a completely irrational hope that somehow Bosa falls or the Raiders find a way to trade up and take him...

Follow me on Tumblr http://jd666.tumblr.com
2015 LOT Norse League Champion
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 79,382.38
TheJayCutlers wrote:

Colts 82 pick #4 Art Schlicter
Colts 83 pick #1 Gary Busey John Elway

art schiller ended up out of the NFL the following year due to gambling.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 79,382.38
endzoneview wrote:
jnadke wrote:
Unless Kliff negotiated something on taking the job that he really really really wanted Kyler Murray

This is what I keep coming back to that makes me think maybe. Especially since they came to terms with him so fast.

My problem with this is Kliff doesnt have that kind of pull to do that, and the GM isnt going to give up roster decisions to a coach like him so quickly. When that happens said GM usually loses his job that year. Especially when that GM traded up for the qb. Kliff wasnt exactly a no brain hire.
Great White Shark
endzoneview wrote:
jnadke wrote:

Yeah, and Kingsbury signed with the Cardinals BEFORE the Jets signed Gase (despite Gase having interviewed on Jan 4th BEFORE Kingsbury).

What did the Cardinals offer that made him sign on the spot and not seek a competing offer from the Jets?

As much as the Jets like to save face and say they never offered Kingsbury a job, having the #1 overall pick had to be an attractive selling point, especially when the Jets had their QB of the future that maybe Kliff didn't like.

Hopefully Gase wins the Jets two Super Bowls, but I'm not sure I fully buy "Jets never made an offer to Kingsbury". Sounds like saving face. That said, Gase was still a great hire for the Jets, he gets and Andy Reid pass since the GM'ing in Miami was terrible and Gase had no business winning as many games as he did.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 26,195.78
I hope Gase never wins a game as a Jet.
Great White Shark
Elmagister wrote:I hope Gase never wins a game as a Jet.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great White Shark
rugger48 wrote:My problem with this is Kliff doesnt have that kind of pull to do that, and the GM isnt going to give up roster decisions to a coach like him so quickly. When that happens said GM usually loses his job that year. Especially when that GM traded up for the qb. Kliff wasnt exactly a no brain hire.

I think Kliff was more undesirable in the community than the owners / GM circle.

Rumor is after Kliff was fired Reid, McVay and Sean Payton all reached out to him about QB coaching.

A scrub doesn't garner that amount of respect.
Great White Shark
As a counter-point:

Josh Rosen is a prototypical play-action passing QB with an elite deep arm and accuracy and Kliff Kingsbury has certainly tailored his system to that style of play with Davis Webb.

Have to write off last year. Rosen performed solidly but the route trees were really, really, really bad.
Sand$: 41,698.17
jnadke wrote:
endzoneview wrote:
jnadke wrote:

Yeah, and Kingsbury signed with the Cardinals BEFORE the Jets signed Gase (despite Gase having interviewed on Jan 4th BEFORE Kingsbury).

What did the Cardinals offer that made him sign on the spot and not seek a competing offer from the Jets?

As much as the Jets like to save face and say they never offered Kingsbury a job, having the #1 overall pick had to be an attractive selling point, especially when the Jets had their QB of the future that maybe Kliff didn't like.

Hopefully Gase wins the Jets two Super Bowls, but I'm not sure I fully buy "Jets never made an offer to Kingsbury". Sounds like saving face. That said, Gase was still a great hire for the Jets, he gets and Andy Reid pass since the GM'ing in Miami was terrible and Gase had no business winning as many games as he did.

They never offered Kingsbury the job. They knew he was Cardinals bound before they interviewed him. The Cardinals were the team pressuring him to interview te lost. I’m glad they brought him in though.

They weren’t going to hire anyone without a round of second interviews. They had no reason to rush the process, especially for him.