Expanded Replay in 2019??

Megalodon
Sand$: 51,626.58
jnadke wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:I would imagine teams will use both/all challenges more often now.

I don't see why.

Remember a failed challenge still gets penalized with a Timeout which are very valuable unless you're Jason Garrett.

PI is a very circumstantial play and overturning requires clear and obvious.

I see coaches challenge stuff all the time that everyone knows is not clear and obvious.
Megalodon
Sand$: 43,465.62
Jcb890 wrote:
jnadke wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:I would imagine teams will use both/all challenges more often now.

I don't see why.

Remember a failed challenge still gets penalized with a Timeout which are very valuable unless you're Jason Garrett.

PI is a very circumstantial play and overturning requires clear and obvious.

I see coaches challenge stuff all the time that everyone knows is not clear and obvious.

And those coaches are already using up their challenges, so no change here.
Megalodon
Sand$: 51,626.58
und2006 wrote:And those coaches are already using up their challenges, so no change here.

I can't find the stat on the total # of challenges used, but I think its lower than you would expect.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 5,681.54
Y'all forgetting that all challenges go to the booth in the final 2m.

I wonder how many times a pass will be thrown by a team trying to come back in the last 2m...

Literally, by this rule, every passing play will be reviewable for PI.

It's idiocy.
Megalodon
Sand$: 62,537.10
ubertaco wrote:Y'all forgetting that all challenges go to the booth in the final 2m.

I wonder how many times a pass will be thrown by a team trying to come back in the last 2m...

It's idiocy.

There is a huge difference between "reviewable" and "reviewed." Every passing play will not be reviewed. The referees will call most calls properly on the field. This just gives the in-booth official a chance to correct any major mistakes.

That's the key-- the in booth official will be the filter, only flagging obviously incorrect calls for review.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 3,063.60
Smacks of Hegelian Dialectic

Create a crisis: NFL officials "blow" a critical PI in NFCCG > Public Outrage

Offer a solution: PI now challenge able and "booth" reviewable

Result: The NFL now has the power to alter the course of games in an even more effective manner.
Megalodon
Cyguy84 wrote:
ubertaco wrote:Y'all forgetting that all challenges go to the booth in the final 2m.

It's idiocy.

There is a huge difference between "reviewable" and "reviewed." Every passing play will not be reviewed. The referees will call most calls properly on the field. This just gives the in-booth official a chance to correct any major mistakes.

That's the key-- the in booth official will be the filter, only flagging obviously incorrect calls for review.

Nope, gonna review every single down for at least 6 commercials... there is no middle ground.
Great White Shark
Cyguy84 wrote:

It's idiocy.

There is a difference.

You and I apparently have different interpretations of how the NFL will handle it.

But hey, at least the argument will now shift from 'was that PI' to 'was that PI reviewable'.

Yay. More grist for the talking heads.

I guess?
Megalodon
ubertaco wrote:
Cyguy84 wrote:

It's idiocy.

There is a difference.

You and I apparently have different interpretations of how the NFL will handle it.

But hey, at least the argument will now shift from 'was that PI' to 'was that PI reviewable'.

Yay. More grist for the talking heads.

I guess?

I'd rather have that then a team not make the Super Bowl due to the worst blown PI call in history.
Megalodon
It's only the worst because there were other mess ups involved in the Fail Mary other than the blatant offensive PI.
Sand$: 42,440.87
What happens next year when a game winning touchdown is thrown and a very balatant holding call is missed? Or a roughing the passer call is missed? An offsides is missed?

I’ll tell you what happens- waterworks followed by a new rule to allow that play to be reviewed

#NewJackCity
”I want players who hate losing more than they love winning”
Great White Shark
und2006 wrote:It's only the worst because there were other mess ups involved in the Fail Mary other than the blatant offensive PI.

Yeah, they lost because of that call.

Not because they were throwing the ball in the first place.

Not because their defense couldn't come up with a stop.

Or because their offense couldn't score in OT.

Or because their defense couldn't bail them out in OT.

They lost because they took the lead with less than 2m to go and won the OT coin toss.

:F
Megalodon
endzoneview wrote:What happens next year when a game winning touchdown is thrown and a very balatant holding call is missed? Or a roughing the passer call is missed? An offsides is missed?

I’ll tell you what happens- waterworks followed by a new rule to allow that play to be reviewed

Slippery slope arguments are fundamentally flawed when looking at a specific action.
Megalodon
ubertaco wrote:
und2006 wrote:It's only the worst because there were other mess ups involved in the Fail Mary other than the blatant offensive PI.

They lost because they took the lead with less than 2m to go and won the OT coin toss.

So you disagree that if that play had been correctly called the Saints would have won the game?

Because unless you can say that with a straight face, the rest of those things don't matter.
Great White Shark
und2006 wrote:
ubertaco wrote:

So you disagree that if that play had been correctly called the Saints would have won the game?

Because unless you can say that with a straight face, the rest of those things don't matter.

They would have been more likely to win the game, but they did not lose the game because of that one play.

They would have also been more likely to win the game if they ran on 1st down instead of throwing that screen to Thomas. They would have been more likely to win the game if Brees just took a knee three times as well.

But they didn't do any of those things, and even after the missed call they were pretty massive favorites in terms of expected win rate.

But yeah, let's all get overexcited about a blown call and pretend that no other kinds of blown calls exist or ultimately help shape the outcomes of games.