Expanded Replay in 2019??

Sand$: 41,656.23
It's going to be fun the first time a play ISN'T buzzed for review when the touchdown occurs due to an obvious (judgement call) pick play.

#NewJackCity
”I want players who hate losing more than they love winning”
Megalodon
Sand$: 43,521.20
endzoneview wrote:It's going to be fun the first time a play ISN'T buzzed for review when the touchdown occurs due to an obvious (judgement call) pick play.

BUZZ!

All Touchdowns are reviewed. Try again.
Megalodon
endzoneview wrote:
Cadence calls wrote:And the officials could have fixed that call simply by huddling up. Somebody saw it.

This is what they should have done. Got in a huddle, tossed the flag out of the huddle and explained the call.

Optics would have sucked but the call would have been correct.

I actually agree here.

But they didn't... no one stepped up and said "Hey, that's PI... we gotta call that."
und2006 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:It's going to be fun the first time a play ISN'T buzzed for review when the touchdown occurs due to an obvious (judgement call) pick play.

BUZZ!

?

I'm talking about that part of the play not getting looked at. Those plays aren't cut and dry as well.

But thanks for being a :censor: in your response. Try again.

#NewJackCity
Megalodon
Sand$: 63,492.02
:popcorn:
Megalodon
endzoneview wrote:
und2006 wrote:

BUZZ!

?

I'm talking about that part of the play not getting looked at. Those plays aren't cut and dry as well.

But thanks for being a :censor: in your response. Try again.

All parts of a TD play that can be reviewed are looked at already.

Also, sorry for the tone, I tried a riff on buzzing for review, it came off wrong... my bad.
I know the rules

I’m just adding yet another judgment call that has to be re-judged. Take away my scenario of a touchdown then to make it easier to see the potential issue

#NewJackCity
Great White Shark
Sand$: 5,763.76
The 'problem' with it is that they can also review non-calls, not just review made calls.

It's not just about TDs, it's about any significant play. Maybe it will all work out though and coaches will burn through all of their flags in the first quarter and then we can 'enjoy' football without any actual replays until we hit the 2 minute warning.

Now I really can't wait for it, because the talking heads are going to go non-linear about this. Catchable ball? Who shoved whom first? Did the DB get his hand in there a millisecond before the ball came?

Yay!
Megalodon
ubertaco wrote:The 'problem' with it is that they can also review non-calls, not just review made calls.

It's not just about TDs, it's about any significant play. Maybe it will all work out though and coaches will burn through all of their flags in the first quarter and then we can 'enjoy' football without any actual replays until we hit the 2 minute warning.

Now I really can't wait for it, because the talking heads are going to go non-linear about this. Catchable ball? Who shoved whom first? Did the DB get his hand in there a millisecond before the ball came?

Yay!

When it's close we collectively shrug and move on after a few days.

As long as they follow the clear and obvious mandate and not try to correct the not clear and obvious I think it'll be fine. And if it sucks, they won't make it permanent in 2020.
Megalodon
endzoneview wrote:I know the rules

I’m just adding yet another judgment call that has to be re-judged. Take away my scenario of a touchdown then to make it easier to see the potential issue

This is only a problem if they reverse course on something that isn't clear and obvious. We saw a bit of that under Riveron, so maybe you're concerns will prove valid... they need to make sure this is only changing things that everyone looks at and agrees with.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 5,763.76
und2006 wrote:
ubertaco wrote:The 'problem' with it is that they can also review non-calls, not just review made calls.

Yay!

When it's close we collectively shrug and move on after a few days.

As long as they follow the clear and obvious mandate and not try to correct the not clear and obvious I think it'll be fine. And if it sucks, they won't make it permanent in 2020.

The problem isn't about when it's close, it's about when the review still gets it wrong.

Because it's a judgment call to begin with this is going to happen 100% of time for 50% of the fans.
Megalodon
Sand$: 62,677.54
endzoneview wrote:
Cadence calls wrote:And the officials could have fixed that call simply by huddling up. Somebody saw it.

This is what they should have done. Got in a huddle, tossed the flag out of the huddle and explained the call.

I agree, but I think this rule may prevent mistakes like that in the future.

Personally, I think that none of the other referees wanted to overrule the referee that was RIGHT THERE and didn't call a flag, as it would make him look bad and/or could be interpreted as rude or an insult or something.

Basically, I think that there is an odd dynamic when there isn't a clear hierarchy (other than the head official), as the other referees will defer to the one closest unless they saw something that made them extremely confident that the call was incorrect. IMO, this is partially why some bad calls aren't overturned, as the other referees may have called it differently but don't change the call unless it was egregiously wrong.

That is why I like the challenge implementation, as the in-booth official can flag things for the head official to review without running into this dynamic, especially with the benefit of watching the replay to be confident that an incorrect call was made on the field.
Megalodon
Sand$: 62,677.54
ubertaco wrote:The problem isn't about when it's close, it's about when the review still gets it wrong.

Because it's a judgment call to begin with this is going to happen 100% of time for 50% of the fans.

I think fans are adjusting to the concept that the review defers to the ruling on the field unless there is clear evidence to overturn.

So if the ruling on the field is wrong (whether called a penalty on marginal contact or didn't call a penalty when there was clear contact), the booth review will only overturn it when it is CLEARLY wrong, deferring to the official if it can be called either way.

Thus, I think a majority of the time:
a) the right call will be so obvious that even biased fans agree that the review was correct, or
b) the call could go either way and fans understand that there isn't enough evidence to overturn the ruling on the field.
Cyguy84 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

I agree, but I think this rule may prevent mistakes like that in the future.

Personally, I think that none of the other referees wanted to overrule the referee that was RIGHT THERE and didn't call a flag, as it would make him look bad and/or could be interpreted as rude or an insult or something.

Basically, I think that there is an odd dynamic when there isn't a clear hierarchy (other than the head official), as the other referees will defer to the one closest unless they saw something that made them extremely confident that the call was incorrect. IMO, this is partially why some bad calls aren't overturned, as the other referees may have called it differently but don't change the call unless it was egregiously wrong.

That is why I like the challenge implementation, as the in-booth official can flag things for the head official to review without running into this dynamic, especially with the benefit of watching the replay to be confident that an incorrect call was made on the field.

But it happens a lot. They’ll huddle, the head ref will walk out and toss a flag, they announce the penalty. I don’t think ‘not hurting feelings’ is in the ref training manual. Getting the call right is. Because this crew couldn’t do their job we now have a over reaction rule that will potentially ruin more games.

Everyone is championing this though and saying the NFL finally did something right so we will see

#NewJackCity
Megalodon
Sand$: 35,026.76
endzoneview wrote:What happens next year when a game winning touchdown is thrown and a very balatant holding call is missed? Or a roughing the passer call is missed? An offsides is missed?

I’ll tell you what happens- waterworks followed by a new rule to allow that play to be reviewed

Depends, do the Pats win or lose in your scenario? If they win, bah, oh well. Its all good. If they lose, then something needs to be changed. :Drink)