Sand$: 41,944.23
Via Ben Goessling of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Vikings have $211.638 million in cap charges for 2020. Unless the salary cap skyrockets from $188.2 million this year by more than $23 million next year, the Vikings will have to trim layers of fat.

The prime candidates whose contracts for 2020 won’t be prime rib for the Vikings include tackle Riley Reiff, defensive end Everson Griffen, defensive tackle Linval Joseph, and cornerback Xavier Rhodes. As Goessling points out, each will be at least 30 next year, and each will have cap numbers of at least $12.9 million.

Of course, another player with those same two factors — 30 or older and cap number of $12.9 million or higher — is quarterback Kirk Cousins. His cap number moves to $31 million in 2020, fueled by a fully-guaranteed salary of $29.5 million via PFT

St. Paul Pioneer Press' Chris Tomasson reports Vikings CBs Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander are candidates for extensions.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 79,464.30
Cut Harrison smith and re-up cousins on his last year and convert his last year into a bonus, add 10 million for the cap. That’s about 35 million in space.
Supreme Megalodon
Cut Joseph would be another 10 million.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 26,557.78
rugger48 wrote:Cut Harrison smith

You don't cut a Harrison Smith. If it comes to it, you trade him.
Supreme Megalodon
I guess you could, but everybody is going to know why there doing it. I’m not saying hes replaceable , but safety seems to be a position that’s not hard to find in free agency.
Supreme Megalodon
rugger48 wrote:I guess you could, but everybody is going to know why there doing it. I’m not saying hes replaceable , but safety seems to be a position that’s not hard to find in free agency.

You don't typically find a Harrison Smith lying around in free agency.
Supreme Megalodon
I guess you find some else to cut on defense. I don’t see them making too many changes on offense, they have went long on that side of the ball.
Supreme Megalodon
The Cousins deal is a real albatross.
Supreme Megalodon
Yes, but if they want to keep him and if he’s willing I would guess that last year can be worked into a extension. Unless he just cr@ps the bed I don’t see him going anywhere.
Supreme Megalodon
St. Paul Pioneer Press' Chris Tomasson reports Vikings CBs Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander are candidates for extensions.
Minnesota has $4.687 million in cap space after signing Rudolph to a four-year, $36 million extension, which included lowering his 2019 cap number from $7.625 million to $3.55 million. Waynes, who's coincidently represented by Rudolph's agent, is set to make $9.069 million in the final year of his deal. The former No. 11 overall pick in the 2015 draft has yet to live up to his potential, but an extension can still be sorted out if he plays beyond his pedigree in 2019

They must have an idea of what they are going to do?

I mean its early, but I wonder if the owners already know they are going to have to change the way tge salary cap is.
Supreme Megalodon
They should trade everyone for draft capital.
Last edited by rugger48 on Sat 06.15.2019, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Supreme Megalodon
Someone turned off the invisible fence....

Well played op, only took me 5 hours this time.
Megalodon
Sand$: 19,753.46
endzoneview wrote:
Via Ben Goessling of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Vikings have $211.638 million in cap charges for 2020. Unless the salary cap skyrockets from $188.2 million this year by more than $23 million next year, the Vikings will have to trim layers of fat.

"Only" $11-13million over in 2020. Not $23million.

Cap has gone up by 10-12million every single year for past 7yrs.

... 2020 could also be "Uncapped" like it was last time there was a CBA showdown

--------------------

Ref: Vikes specifically and being 11-13m (lets call it 12m) over cap?

1) Xavier Rhodes. Yeah, he cant stay fit, hasnt performed well enough for long enough that hes not worth that contract.
8m saving vs the 12m over cap. 4m to find.

2) Hunter, Rhodes & Diggs all have about $7million worth of contract they could convert into other (non-cap) areas.
So, there's another potential of $21million - but thats a max value and unlikely.
But massaging - say - $10million of escalators etc wouldnt be a stretch at all.

That puts them $6m under cap.

A rookie class will cost about $8m, but 2m in cap is like finding loose change in the couch. Its there if teams want to look hard enough for at the bottom of their rosters.

--------------------

On a sidenote? Its not the Cousins contract that i take issue with.

Its the Kendricks one.

Already had to convert half his salary into a signing bonus (So Vikes could sign Bradbury)

Shouldnt have tried winning that one. I dont see him as a difference maker on that D.

He's solid, sure, but hes the 6th highest paid ILB contract in the league & hes nothing like elite enough for that.

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Sand$: 41,944.23
jamcutpost wrote:
endzoneview wrote:

"Only" $11-13million over in 2020. Not $23million.

Cap has gone up by 10-12million every single year for past 7yrs.

... 2020 could also be "Uncapped" like it was last time there was a CBA showdown

--------------------

Ref: Vikes specifically and being 11-13m (lets call it 12m) over cap?

1) Xavier Rhodes. Yeah, he cant stay fit, hasnt performed well enough for long enough that hes not worth that contract.
8m saving vs the 12m over cap. 4m to find.

2) Hunter, Rhodes & Diggs all have about $7million worth of contract they could convert into other (non-cap) areas.
So, there's another potential of $21million - but thats a max value and unlikely.
But massaging - say - $10million of escalators etc wouldnt be a stretch at all.

That puts them $6m under cap.

A rookie class will cost about $8m, but 2m in cap is like finding loose change in the couch. Its there if teams want to look hard enough for at the bottom of their rosters.

--------------------

On a sidenote? Its not the Cousins contract that i take issue with.

Its the Kendricks one.

Already had to convert half his salary into a signing bonus (So Vikes could sign Bradbury)

Shouldnt have tried winning that one. I dont see him as a difference maker on that D.

He's solid, sure, but hes the 6th highest paid ILB contract in the league & hes nothing like elite enough for that.

I don’t think you read that sentence correctly
Megalodon
Sand$: 19,753.46
endzoneview wrote:I don’t think you read that sentence correctly

Youll have to be specific - Ill guess, but it is only that:

Star Trib wrote:Unless the salary cap skyrockets from $188.2 million this year by more than $23 million next year, the Vikings will have to trim layers of fat.

I read the quote from Star Trib as "unless the cap increases by 23million vikes have to cut players (plural: layers of fat)".

jamcutpost wrote:"Only" $11-13million over in 2020. Not $23million.

11-13m + the 10-12m that league cap has gone up by each of past 7 yrs, would give the number goessling is talking about.

"Layers of fat" (just Rhodes) dont need to be cut or the league cap doesnt need to "skyrocket" to get Vikes well inside compliance w/room to sign a rookie draft.
Last edited by jamcutpost on Sun 06.16.2019, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams