2019 Coaching Hot Seat/Black Monday

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 79,676.36
Elmagister wrote:Agreed.

I don't mean to be cold, but it's no secret his brain is soup.

I was going to say maybe he could do it, but you a very good point here.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 18,655.38
rugger48 wrote:
Elmagister wrote:Agreed.

I don't mean to be cold, but it's no secret his brain is soup.

I was going to say maybe he could do it, but you a very good point here.

True, CTE is a witch.

On the flip side, it seems like GM'ing is 30% evaluating players, 40% getting them to drink the Kool-Aid, and 30% hiring the right coach.

The middle part is also the coach but if you don't get players that will mesh with each other the team is doomed.

You can hire peons to do the budget stuff. The Packers have been doing it for many years. Russ Ball does all the contracts, not sure but I think he even has some veto power if the contract doesn't work out. Heck Bill Belichick doesn't handle budget (other than giving approximate worth probably), but he handles the above.

Evaluation is worth less than drinking the Kool-Aid because that's what the Patriots built a dynasty on. Bill finds affordable talent and gets them to drink the Kool-Aid. The ones that refuse get discarded no matter how many Pro Bowls they previously went to.
Megalodon
Sand$: 21,546.86

The person in question was Dante Fowler, btw.

Coughlin and our coaching staff are all going to be fired. Two weeks from today I expect them to all be gone.

Caldwell is our GM, but given the talent that's on the field, he needs to go too. I haven't heard much about him, but no reason to retain him.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 32,140.02
Man, that third tweet.
Supreme Megalodon
I mean, I’m sure the jags need to clean house, but it seems fair missing meetings and such. If that was the case.
Last edited by rugger48 on Mon 12.16.2019, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Megalodon
Elmagister wrote:Man, that third tweet.

Yeah, really spells out how much of a totalitarian regime that Coughlin runs here. He thinks its the 1980s...There's zero chance he is here in three weeks.

rugger48 wrote:I mean, I’m sure the jags need to clean house, but it seems fair missing meeting. If that was the case.

They put mandatory in quotes, so I'm assuming it wasn't really mandatory. It was in the offseason, so I don't think Fowler had to show up.
Sand$: 43,665.35
My guess is since it was so many that the “mandatory” was outside a reasonable amount and likely multiple times throughout a specific day. If I know Coughlin like I think I do, it was likely scheduled on days off.
Megalodon
This clarifies it a bit:

Supreme Megalodon
Markulous wrote:
Elmagister wrote:Man, that third tweet.

Yeah, really spells out how much of a totalitarian regime that Coughlin runs here. He thinks its the 1980s...There's zero chance he is here in three weeks.

rugger48 wrote:I mean, I’m sure the jags need to clean house, but it seems fair missing meeting. If that was the case.

They put mandatory in quotes, so I'm assuming it wasn't really mandatory. It was in the offseason, so I don't think Fowler had to show up.

Ya, I guess if they won the grievances something was up. I don’t like the way they handled fournette last year at all.
Markulous wrote:This clarifies it a bit:

Well that makes sense (to everyone not named Tom Coughlin)
Megalodon
Sand$: 39,876.36
Wow. What a shoot show.

Megalodon
theoutlawdekepatton wrote:Wow. What a shoot show.

Only for 13 days, 14 hours, 25 more minutes
Megalodon

Telvin could have helped a bit considering how poor our LB corps were. Khan need to issue a statement soon on all of this. It makes this franchise look like a complete joke.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 7,278.34
What a terrible team culture. I wouldn't want to work for ANY company or organization, no matter the compensation, with this kind of philosophy. It's no wonder players push back, making the environment even more toxic.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
The Lions will retain coach Matt Patricia for 2020.
Speaking Tuesday, owner Martha Ford also said GM Bob Quinn would be retained. "We expect to be a playoff contender and those are our expectations, which we’ve expressed to both Bob and to Matt," Ford said. 9-20-1 through nearly two full years on the job, Patricia actually oversaw major strides on offense this season before Matthew Stafford's back injury. The problem has been the utter collapse of the defense, Patricia's side of the ball. The Lions have been an absolute doormat. Patricia's seat will be white hot to begin 2020.