The Darwin Thompson Theory

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 25,312.14
zuggyawesome wrote:
endzoneview wrote:
Elmagister wrote:Darwin is currently being drafted in the 17th round in redraft. Worth the shot there.

yes

and for those that draft Damien Williams, why not back him up with Darwin at the end of drafts?

Depends on how deep your benches are. But in most redraft leagues I'd rather have that bench spot open to target the inevitable waiver wire break outs that happen every season.

So you draft him, and cut him to free up that spot if someone like Philip Lindsay emerges.
Sand$: 40,911.03
but what if that inevitable waiver wire break out is Darwin?

insert head explosion gif
Great White Shark
Sand$: 13,840.08
endzoneview wrote:but what if that inevitable waiver wire break out is Darwin?

If he breaks out, it (very likely) won't be till after Damien Williams has disappointed. Which means you've missed out on the week 1 and week 2 waiver wire adds holding him on your bench. Not a situation I want to put myself in.

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 25,312.14
So do you just not draft a final player?
Great White Shark
Sand$: 7,247.48
He drafts the worst player on the worst team with the worst upside.

so he can cut him safely
Great White Shark
Sand$: 13,840.08
Elmagister wrote:So do you just not draft a final player?

I draft players that are likely to prove or disprove their value in week 1 which makes them an easy hold or an easy drop.

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
Megalodon
Sand$: 19,680.86
SJSwarm wrote:As I said before, he's an end of the roster dart throw that might work out and might not, and the only reason he's even going in the 3rd round of dynasty drafts is because this talent pool is extremely shallow this season.

I actually think hes a v.good back
And hes landed on a v.good offense.

Usually when those two things align, in dynas, you take them

Situations change, but talent usually rises - esp when its better than whats above it on the DC

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
endzoneview wrote:
Elmagister wrote:Darwin is currently being drafted in the 17th round in redraft. Worth the shot there.

yes

and for those that draft Damien Williams, why not back him up with Darwin at the end of drafts?

This

If its the RBBC Reid says it is.

Who do you want?

The guy who has 5 games in 4.5yrs on his resume, beendinged up in camp, and wasnt 1st choice last year either.
Or the guy everyone is talking about in camp as "explosive", but hasnt had the chance to set his ceiling - or floor yet

Tho truth be told, unless Damiens ADP drops to late 3rd (at the earliest) id really rather only invest late in Thompson.

Tho, im sure the (D-)Train has probs left that particular station and (much like Hurd) his ADP might be leaping 6-7 rnds this week based on that game and Reid's comments.

... ESPECIALLY with how ugly the late rnd RB landscape is this year.

if your last rnd pick is going to be first against the wall for waivers? This pick isnt for you. He has some rough edges (pass pro) to work out.
Last edited by jamcutpost on Mon 08.12.2019, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

“There is an art to flying ... learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 25,384.08
The measurables are there for sure, and clearly it is a great offense, but IMO the overall football talent is questionable, and the pass pro is why he didn't play more in a bad college conference.

People keep bringing up Brian Westbrook, that dude got the job in part because he was absolutely brilliant in pass protection, especially for a little guy. Not sure Darwin is so talented that putting him on the field is worth the franchise taking shots. Which is why a JAG is likely going to lead the Chiefs in rushing this season.

2019 Sharks with Big Sticks Champion
2019 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion
Supreme Megalodon
Jam just curious, are you taking Darwin over Justice Hill? Both are late round dart throws in the average non dyno league.

Megalodon
SJSwarm wrote:The measurables are there for sure, and clearly it is a great offense, but IMO the overall football talent is questionable, and the pass pro is why he didn't play more in a bad college conference.

People keep bringing up Brian Westbrook, that dude got the job in part because he was absolutely brilliant in pass protection, especially for a little guy. Not sure Darwin is so talented that putting him on the field is worth the franchise taking shots. Which is why a JAG is likely going to lead the Chiefs in rushing this season.

Safe to say we differ on his overall football talent.

Thats no crime. Viva la difference.

But its not something we'll be able to reconcile being so far apart on him either :)

- Douglas Adams
Megalodon
SJSwarm wrote:Jam just curious, are you taking Darwin over Justice Hill? Both are late round dart throws in the average non dyno league.

Nah, Hill first

But only because of the RB situations and O's. Not solely a talent based decision.

Like both a lot.

- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
jamcutpost wrote:
SJSwarm wrote:The measurables are there for sure, and clearly it is a great offense, but IMO the overall football talent is questionable, and the pass pro is why he didn't play more in a bad college conference.

But its not something we'll be able to reconcile being so far apart on him either :)

It's a pass happy league my man. And he's on a team with literally the best young QB in football. Pass pro can be learned, definitely not saying it's hopeless for ol Darwin, but I don't think its as simple as he's strong and he can run fast and he's on the Chiefs so BOOM fantasy gold.

Megalodon
SJSwarm wrote:
jamcutpost wrote:

It's a pass happy league my man. And he's on a team with literally the best young QB in football. Pass pro can be learned, definitely not saying it's hopeless for ol Darwin, but I don't think its as simple as he's strong and he can run fast and he's on the Chiefs so BOOM fantasy gold.

I hear you.

And fwiw, i agree. On a cpl things (pass happy, landing spot)

I cant speak for anyone else, but with Thompson, its not that hes strong, or can run fast (and believe it or not, but ppl we're dinging his speed during the draft process)

We could probably both name a cpl dozen guys who fit that bill in the pros that will do precisely nada this year :)

Its his contact balance and power.

Those are his USP & what makes him stand out for me.

The level he has those at, its just not common.

In fact, and it could be just me, its been a long time since ive seen a guy do it to that sort of level.

Only reservations i have are: Can he replicate (to any sort of proximity) a similar balance level in the pros & can he pick up the pass pro this year

- Douglas Adams
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 79,077.58
endzoneview wrote:but what if that inevitable waiver wire break out is Darwin?

Pure laziness.